• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 3,351 Views, 160 Comments

Heat Death - ScottTrek



The heat death of the universe is inevitable, and Twilight's lived to see it. Nothing can stop the crawl of entropy, but maybe, just maybe, there's time for one last adventure.

  • ...
10
 160
 3,351

The Darkest Hour (Part 5)

"So..?"

Twilight carefully stood up and limped her way towards Shadow's desk. "I can only begin to imagine what it must be like for. So alone. So scared. You're first moments birthed in the death throes of all that exists. Is it any wonder you lashed out?" If Shadow had been fully paying attention he might have noticed an edge creeping into Twilight's voice, as much as she tried to keep it out. "But none of what's passed matters now. So where do we go from here? What is this place brother?"

Shadow looked up at her, seemingly enamoured by Twilight's kind words. "This station, i call it the Web, its been projecting a massive subspace field through the collapsing universe. The lattice is now integrated with every intersection point in the universe. All of it leading back to this station." With a flick of his hoof a holographic projection appeared between them.

Twilight studied it carefully. "It's a summoning circle?... No, a reverse summoning circle all running back into a death rune." her eyes widened in shock. "By the... your going to harness the final death of the universe. That's near... no... that is true unlimited power... its all the power in the universe." Twilight's voice had genuine awe in it. "To pull this off... you really are fantastic."

"With this I can transcend the bounds of the universe. They call people like us gods but... this would make me THE god. I thought you would fight me. You would't trust me. But if we work together, we can save your people. We can save so many across the universe."

"Yeah... I don't trust you."

Twilight's staff shot through the hologram and cracked into Shadows windpipe with a ugly crunch. He went down behind the desk with a gargle before melting into he floor. "You sly dog," His voice emanating from all around, "You had be going for a minute there... i actually explained my evil plan to you."

"Sly dog?" Twilight said coolly, staff twirling in her hooves, "You know you can say 'bitch' if you like."

"What you are is dead on your hooves. You have nothing to fight me with." Shadow's body reformed at the end of the room. He was wreathed in an aura of black-light and ultraviolet, his whole body thrumming with power. "And let us not forget I have your entire species held hostage. What exactly do you think you can do?"

Twilight's eyes crackled with residual magic. One last spell forced through her shattered horn, even as blood poured from her ruined forehead. A small box with a large red button fell onto Shadow's desk.

He looked at it. Genuinely confused.

"Two problems, one solution." Twilight said, voice drained of all passion.

Shadow looked at Twilight for a long moment before cracking a smile. "Oh come now we both know you could never..."

Twilight hit the button.


Fire erupted from the Valkyrie. Power conduits, rerouted only minutes before, fed all the energy back into the critical power core. The fuel reserves vaporised. The Tree of Harmony cracked. With a final death groan the ship Twilight had called home for millennia was ripped apart. Debris quickly sublimating into the void.

Nothing could have survived.


Tears ran down Twilight's face. Her staff now blazed with magical energy, harnessing all the energy of what had just occurred. "If the alternative was to be stuck with you as architect of reality," She growled, readying her now supercharged weapon. "Yeah... I would."