• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 3,351 Views, 160 Comments

Heat Death - ScottTrek



The heat death of the universe is inevitable, and Twilight's lived to see it. Nothing can stop the crawl of entropy, but maybe, just maybe, there's time for one last adventure.

  • ...
10
 160
 3,351

The Last Stand of Twilight Sparkle (Part 2)

"I cannot believe that worked."


Twilight grunted; one of her legs finally giving way and dropping her to the floor. She came down hard on the obsidian floor, loosing grip on her staff. For a moment she let herself breath, trying to ignore the unpleasant rattle that now accompanied it.

Shadow's hellish form had all but retracted now. He stood a few meters away, coldly inspecting the thin trickle of blood from his cheek. "That was a nice attempt." He said, voice full of venom. "Truly it was. But did you seriously think you could beat me like this. Beaten, broken and alone." He smiled and turned away. The cyclone was running tight now, wide enough for a single pony to stand in the eye of the storm. The battle had raged all the way across The Web, Twilight falling just before the steps up to the ascension platform. Shadow considered what his last words to Twilight should be, this being who he had shadowed since the very beginning. With one final look back he sneered, "A good attempt, but honestly, i'm disappointed."

"I'm not..." Twilight groaned, "I'm not done yet." She rolled and grabbed her staff. The glow from its gem focused down to a single point before erupting out into a gout of purple fire. The blaze raced towards Shadow, he moved to parry it with shadows but it split at the last moment and enveloped Shadow. Twilight breath came in short, sharp gasps. She funnelled down the fire till the barrier around Shadow grappling him and holding in place.

For a few, almost blissful, moments they were at deadlock.

Then Shadow took a step forward.

Twilight screamed, pushing everything she had into the spell. Her wings cracked and fell off, flesh necrotising under the strain.

Shadow look another step.

The barrier trembled, it sparked and tore. For one desperate moment it looked like it might have pulled back together...

Then Shadow look one last step.

The barrier broke. Twilight Suddenly spasmed and her body twisted in an unnatural way, twisting her spine around a few inches to far.

Shadow smiled. Then stepped into the light.