• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 2,288 Views, 138 Comments

The Castle Canterlot - Honey Mead



After almost two decades working under Princess Celestia, Chronicle has... acclimated to his position as her seneschal. Unfortunately, things are about to change more in one night than they have for the past thousand years.

  • ...
5
 138
 2,288

Chapter 1

The Castle Canterlot:
Chapter 1

“After the in-depth interviews, background investigations, work history studies, and a grueling battery of tests, I hold a contest to see who can brew the best cup of tea.”

—H.R.H. Princess Celestia, when asked how she chooses her staff.

Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia Invictus of Equestria, was not in her body. She’d left it behind more than half an hour ago, becoming a glowing mass of gaseous aether, compressed into a vague facsimile of her own body, high above Ioka to facilitate her twice daily task of shifting the whole of the sky, orchestrating the change from night to day.

Dawn had lost much of its allure over the past millenium, worn down by the extra duties to which she was not well attuned. In the first years, Selene hadn’t been particularly co-operative, stretching Celestia’s patience by playing the petulant foal. After the first decade or so, she’d calmed down, allowing them to share a cordial, if not friendly, working relationship. For the past few days, however, she’d been reluctant to set. Not for any nefarious reasons, quite the opposite in fact, more akin to a filly on Hearth’s Warming Eve.

The stars, on the other hoof, had never warmed up to her. They weren’t all bad. Polaris and a few others did their best to help; but there were so many, and more than a few seemed to go out of their way to make Celestia’s mornings difficult. The key troublemakers, much like Selene, had begun to act differently in the preceding days, huddling back and doing their best to avoid Celestia’s attention. It was all Celestia could do not to tip her own hoof.

After thanking Polaris for her help and bidding her a restful day, Celestia turned away from the empty sky and toward the east, calling out to her other half, waking her from her slumber.

Goodmorning, Love, Sol said, her words stretching out in a great yawn as she crested Ioka’s rim and cast her first rays across the great disc.

“Hello, Love,” Celestia answered, the light of her aetheric form glowing brighter as she released her restraint now that the stars were off to bed. Her amusement only continued to grow when Sol’s attention dropped straight down to Manehatten and the earth pony clan who had so intrigued her for the past generation. “And how is the Orange Clan this morning? Has Calamity found out about Persia and Valencia?” she asked making no effort to hide her whimsy.

I hope so. That Valencia is a bad seed. Ha, I made a pun! Did you hear that, Love? I punned! Punned? Is that the right word? Sol looked up when Celestia failed to respond, only to find her vibrating as she struggled to hold back her mirth. Is something the matter?

Celestia brought herself back under control, her mirth and brightness waning only enough for her to speak. “Yes, everything is fine. Perfect.”

Sol tilted slightly. My, you are giddy this morning. You didn’t get into the coffee again, did you? I thought we talked about this, Love.

“No, and I will thank you to not bring that up again,” Celestia said, her humor sliding into annoyance. “You’ve forgotten what day it is.”

Hmph! I have not either! How could you even suggest that I would forget that tomorrow is your birthday?

“I wouldn’t dream of it, Love.” Sol gave her a confused look and Celestia continued, “What year is it?”

Sol spun slowly in thought. Hmm… you’ll be… and the calendar changed… Uh-hu… Ah! she said, stopping to face Celestia again. It is the year one thousand of the… No, is it really?

“Mmm hmm.”

Oh, Love, that is wonderful! Sol shouted, vibrating. You must be bursting at the seams! Would that we could hurry the day along.

“Hmm, yes, that would be nice. Alas, there is still much that must be seen to yet.”

Sol spun again as she said, You work yourself too hard, Love.

“I do only what I must.”

Sol’s golden light flashed a ruddy bronze. You never come up to play anymore.

Celestia’s own glow matched the darker hue and she reached out to comfort her sun. “After today, if everything goes according to plan, I promise that we will hang out more.”

You and your plans, Sol groused, turning back toward Manehatten. One of these days you’re going to miss something and it’s going to bite you in your pretty white flank.

Celestia chuckled as she prepared to return to her own body. “Perhaps, but not today, I think.”

— — — TCC — — —

Scattered clouds, small white puffs that had escaped the weather team during the night, glowed varying shades of orange and violet in Sol’s rising light. She had barely finished cresting the horizon when Chronicle, Twilight, and Spike exited the castle with purposeful strides as they stepped off the hard, white marble flooring and onto the soft, green grass of the southern hanging lawn.

Akin to a massive balcony, the courtyard was a three-quarters circle of marble built off the mountain’s sheer face. Thick shrubs and flower beds, lush, verdant, and bright with the flowers of mid summer, ringed the false edge. Two fountains of stone sent streams of water high into the air, a soft cloud of steam floating from the warm water as it was kissed the cool mountain air. Four sets of short, white stone steps led to a second, lower tier where benches abutted the wall, facing out and providing a gorgeous view of unobscured sky. Night or day, it was a favored place to hold smaller parties.

Parked in the center of the lea, an open backed sky-chariot awaited. Gold leaf glinted from its every angle. Two faux wings flared off either side of the single axle. A massive round cut amethyst adorned the front of the carriage, its enchantment allowing the two pegasus charioteers, waiting patiently within the harness, to carry the added weight without difficulty. It was truly a regal way to travel.

Chronicle preferred trains.

The top of Chronicle’s gaze never rose above the shrubbery, ensuring that he missed the skyward display. He had to suppress a small shudder anyway, flicking it out through his tail, but could do nothing to hide his swivelling ears. With most of his attention focused inward, regulating his breathing and maintaining a steady gait, his companion’s words passed over him. It wouldn’t be fair to say that he was ignoring the young mare, even disregarding the redundant nature of her rant. Rather, his ears listened for any cues or keywords that would require a response while he focused on preparing for the busy day ahead.

“... supposed to mean anyway? Makes some friends...” Twilight continued as the trio crossed the lawn.

Meanwhile, Chronicle thought himself through the talking points of the meetings to come. He did not get far before they were stepping up to the chariot. With a voice calm as a rock and no more emotion, one that had taken years to craft, he said, “Ms. Sparkle.”

“... Dusty old mare’s tales!”

“Ms. Sparkle!” he tried again, adding a little volume and edge. Beside her, young Spike rolled his eyes and waited, tapping a foot on the grass.

“She’s never just ignored me like that before! I—”

“Twilight Abigail Sparkle!” Chronicle’s voice cracked with more command than he liked, but finally broke her distracted rambling. She faced him, a sheepish grin on her muzzle. Certain that he had her attention, Chronicle nodded and continued in a lighter, if no softer, tone, “It has been my experience that Her Highness does little without strong reasons.”

“I know,” she said, her ears drooping, pawing at the grass.

Chronicle attempted a small smile, though he had little confidence in it. “Might I recommend that you read over her letter again, perhaps there is something you have overlooked.”

“Why isn’t she here, though?” Twilight asked, a slight whine hiding deep in that last word.

“It is a very busy time for Her Highness, as you well know. She will no doubt speak with you after the ceremony.”

“But—”

“Come on, Twilight,” Spike said, stepping up the chariot’s back. “If we don’t get going we’ll be late.”

Twilight cringed at the last and nodded, following the drake aboard the chariot’s open back. Chronicle watched as a short exchange passed between Twilight and the harnessed Guards until all parties were prepared for the flight. With wings spread, the pegasi started to trot forward, drawing the chariot behind.

“Good luck, Ms. Sparkle,” Chronicle said, waving a hoof as they pulled away. “I’ll see you upon your return in a few days.”

“Bye, Chronicle!” Twilight called back over her wither. Just as they began to lift off the ground, she shouted back, “Oh! Tell Shiny I love him, and that I’m sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye!”

Chronicle nodded, still waving as they began to lift off the ground. For the first time since they’d stepped outside, his eyes lifted, following the shrinking chariot as it rose into the sky and rounded south. He waited, tracking its flight until it was clear of Canterlot’s outer walls before turning away.

The moment his eyes left the sky and found earth, his hooves took off, carrying him back to the safety of the marble walls. Only once the heavy oak doors had closed did he pause; his eyes squeezed shut as he took in a deep, steadying breath and forced it out through his teeth. After repeating the process three times, he opened his eyes, ready to continue with his day.

The Princess may have been spending the evening away from Canterlot, but that didn’t mean everypony else would be following her to Ponyville. A small army of nobles and dignitaries would be descending on the palace for the Summer Sun Celebration, and, at the end of the day, it was his responsibility to make sure that everything went forward without a hitch. There was much to see to above and beyond his already plentiful duties.

Three steps later and he was brought to a halt by a pair of ice blue eyes wearing the violet and gold armour of the Captain of the Sword. Chronicle had enough time to brace himself before he was set upon by the much larger stallion. He had seen the esteemed captain both in and out of his armour and couldn’t decide which was more intimidating.

“She’s already gone, isn’t she?” Shining Armour asked, more accusation than question.

“Captain Armour,” Chronicle began, focusing on his breathing even as he bowed his head slightly. “Yes, I’m afraid so. Ms. Sparkle asked that I apologize for her sudden departure and to express her love.”

The captain stopped so close that Chronicle had to crane his neck slightly to met his eye. “You couldn’t have held her up so that I could say goodbye?”

“I apologize, Captain, but Her Highness was insistent that Ms. Sparkle leave at once.”

“Would five minutes have made so much of a difference?”

Chronicle’s ears flickered as he struggled to maintain eye contact. “Again, I apologize, but whether it would have affected Ms. Sparkle’s schedule or not, it would have mine. If there is nothing else, I have a great deal of work to see to this day and it would not do to fall behind.” Shining Armour opened his mouth to respond, but Chronicle continued, “Will that be all?”

Shining Armour bit back his words, stepping aside with his head bowing slightly and let Chronicle pass. He did not, however, leave. Instead falling in at Chronicle’s side. They trotted in silence as they traveled deeper into the palace.

A three pony wide, baby blue carpet ran down the corridor’s length beneath their hooves, leaving another four hooves of stone bare on either side. Small chandeliers and periodical candlestands provided most of the light before afternoon when Sol’s light would stream in through the western windows.

They soon entered the South Hall, with its tall, arched ceiling, ivory columns and constant hoof traffic. Guards, servants, and maids moved through the wide room, all destined for different sections of the palace. Two pegasi were currently flitting about the tall arches, scrubbing at the set in dirt and dust. Chronicle and Shining didn’t slow their gait as they passed through, both taking the southern exit. It was then, once they passed the threshold, that Shining Armour spoke up.

“I do not appreciate being kept out of the loop, especially when it concerns my sister.”

Chronicle breathed deeply and snapped his tail once before replying, “I understand your concern, Captain. Unfortunately, I am not the pony with whom you need speak on this subject.”

“No,” Armour said, his annoyance clear in his tone, “but you can speak to her on my behalf.”

Chronicle looked up at the other stallion incredulously. “Need I remind you of your rank, Captain. If you wish to speak with Her Highness, you need only say the word, and I shall schedule the appointment.”

“This has nothing to do with my rank or status. I can not go to the Princess to whine about my grown sister being sent off without consulting me first.”

Arriving at a juncture, the two unicorns stopped, and Chronicle turned to face Armour. “I sympathize with your concerns, but might I suggest that you speak to her like an adult. You may find her more amiable to your request than you think.”

Shining Armour shook his head, staring off for a moment before snapping back. “It’s just that, at times, I feel as though Celestia has it out for me. Do you know she had me comparing the most recent surveys of the Everfree Forest with those taken over a thousand years ago? It took me hours just to find them! Did you know that there wasn’t even a forest there back then? It used to be a city. I swear she did it just so I wouldn’t find out about Twily leaving until it was too late.”

Chronicle didn’t notice the slight uptick of his own lips and, fortunately, neither did Shining. “I would not venture a guess as to Her Highness’ purpose. I have been wrong on too many occasions. It is ours to serve at the Princess’ leisure and to trust in her judgment.”

“That’s easy for you to say.”

“Captain.”

Shining Armour looked down and to the side. “I know, I know. I…” Collecting his composure, the captain re-established eye contact. “I’ll see you around.”

Chronicle affected a small smile. “Good day, Captain.”

He started to turn, only for a hoof to hold him fast. “Thank you, for listening.”

“Of course,” he replied with a small nod.

They parted company there, Shining Armour taking the left as Chronicle took the right.

Finally alone, Chronicle pulled a pocket watch from his vest. The good Captain had eaten more time than he’d thought. His gait quickened, leveling at just below a canter, any faster would have been untoward for any but a messenger. He passed by many a pony on his way, though none of any standing, fortunately. His path soon led him down two more stairwells and through a number of halls, until he arrived at his destination, his coat sporting a light froth.

Even through the thick, unassuming oak doors, Chronicle could hear the sounds of the eternal battle beyond. Screams of rage and pain overlaid the constant clatter and clang of incivility on the other side. There was no stop, no pause, not even a slight hesitation to the din. It was an epicenter of pure, indefatigable chaos at the very heart of the palace. A maelstrom unfit for even the stoutest of souls.

There was nothing for it, however.

Chronicle placed a hoof on the sanded wood, and, with one final calming breath, he pushed.