• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 2,278 Views, 138 Comments

The Castle Canterlot - Honey Mead



After almost two decades working under Princess Celestia, Chronicle has... acclimated to his position as her seneschal. Unfortunately, things are about to change more in one night than they have for the past thousand years.

  • ...
5
 138
 2,278

Chapter 3

The Castle Canterlot:
Chapter 3

“There is a reason I coined the phrase ‘the trappings of office’.”

—H.R.H. Princess Celestia

Chronicle let out a long-suffering sigh that he usually saved for when Princess Celestia was in one of her more mischievous moods. This sigh, however, was directed at a different princess altogether.

It had taken a half-hour to track her down with another fifteen spent waiting around a corner. The whole situation was wholly ridiculous for all parties involved. Unfortunately, he was just a pawn and had no desire to take a seat at the table. So, he followed his instructions and waited.

Chronicle glanced at his pocket watch and grimaced. If it took too much longer they’d be late. The watch slipped back into his pocket as he briefly considered acting. It would be simple. A few steps, an open door, a biting remark—or more likely none at all—and three embarrassed ponies, and that would be the end of it. He wouldn't do it, of course. Only mostly because Princess Celestia had strictly forbidden it.

When the door in question squeaked open, Chronicle first made a mental note to speak with Fitted Sheet about it. Then he peeked down the corridor to spy the young—by comparison—princess standing outside the broom closet checking her mane in a small hoof mirror.

Stepping into the hall, Chronicle let his hooves click extra loud against the floor to ensure she noticed his approach. The Princess started and quickly hid the mirror. At seven paces he stopped and bowed his head. “Princess Cadence.”

Princess Cadence returned the bow with a small nod. If she was worried about having been caught, she hid it well. “Chronicle. What brings you all the way out here?”

“I was looking for you.” Chronicle said, his eyes wandering to the slightly ajar door. Princess Cadence’s rear hoof flinched back, kicking it shut; the muffled ‘oomf’ from inside did not go unnoticed. “Her Royal Highness has asked to speak with you in conference before she departs for Ponyville.”

The huff and eyeroll were about what Chronicle had come to expect from her. “Of course she does.” She motioned with a purple tipped wing. “Well, lead on.”

The pair trotted away from the small door. Halfway down the hallway, Chronicle had to resist turning around when the door squeaked again as its second occupant failed to sneak out.

— — — TCC — — —

Princess Celestia’s private study was located on the third floor of the castle’s western wing. As part of the Royal Apartments, very few ponies ever made it past the initial guards at ground level, much less to the short hall that lead to Celestia’s office. The white oak door to said study was as simple as they came in the palace. Large enough for Princess Celestia to enter with ease, it lacked all ornamentation and would be easy to pass up as nothing more than a servant’s passage.

Princess Cadence did not bother to knock, much to Chronicle’s chagrin, opening the door with her magic and strolling inside with a lack of reverence that only a teenager should have been able to manage. Chronicle’s tail flicked as he followed close on her hocks, closing the door behind himself.

Much like the door, Princess Celestia’s private study focused on utility over all other concerns. Every bit of furnishing was built of sturdy wood polished to a mirror shine but without a single hint of glitz or gilding. The office was set to face west toward a triplet of full-length windows that filled the room with Sol’s light from afternoon to sunset. Behind the Princess was a small fireplace and mantle, currently unlit, with a few bookcases and a single curio cabinet of nick-nacks along the open walls. Off to one side, a low table supported a golden tea service awaiting her highness’ leisure. Papers and scrolls covered the large desk behind which the Princess worked.

As Chronicle entered, a pair of down cushions were already being moved in a golden aura from around the fireplace to settle before the desk. This office was as much a sanctuary for the Princess as it was a place of work. As such, it was not setup with the intention of entertaining guests. There were exactly seven ponies currently allowed to step hoof inside without an express summons by the Princess—Chronicle knew of only five who’d received such summons; he did not envy them.

The instant Princess Cadence crossed the threshold, she called out in a sing-song voice, “Happy birthday, Auntie.”

It had been during his fifth year as the Princess’ seneschal that Chronicle finally learned the date of her birth, and two hours later he had learned that it was unwise to remind her of it.

“Why thank you, Cadenza, how nice of you to remember.”

Chronicle could not keep the quiver out of his ears at the budding confrontation. Both Princesses wore the kind of smiles more commonly seen on predators fighting over a fresh kill than on ponies. Doing his best to ignore them, Chronicle took his seat and began retrieving the many reports, documents, and proposals that would guide the meeting once the millennia old princesses decided to act like adults.

“Oh, don’t be like that, Auntie,” Princess Cadence said as she finally broke eye contact to settle onto her cushion. “I don’t understand what the big deal is, you’re only—”

“How is Blueblood doing in his new position?” Princess Celestia asked, glancing over a scroll in her magic. “Keeping him out of trouble, I hope.”

“I wouldn’t know. I—”

“Haven’t been back to the Crystal City in over a year?”

“—don’t read the gossip columns,” Princess Cadence nearly growled. “He is neither my foal, nor—”

“Was it five greats or six? I can never seem to remember.”

“As long as you remember to add one more for yourself. So, when are you going to admit that you're Twilight's—”

“Between the two of us, you are a far more likely candidate for that honor.”

“Will you let me finish—”

“Only when you have something worth while to say.” Princess Celestia turned her attention to Chronicle, ignoring Princess Cadence’s attempt to retort and subsequent pout. “Good afternoon, Mr. Chronicle, I hope the day has been treating you well.”

“As always, Princess.” His presence finally acknowledged, Chronicle passed the gathered documents to Princess Celestia. Three thick folders and a small clutch of scrolls were taken by the Princess’ own field while a larger stack of clipped papers slipped easily beneath the already full ‘inbox’ at the desk’s corner.

Princess Celestia went straight to the scrolls, skimming over them one-by-one before signing and sealing them with her royal insignia. She made it through three of the documents before Princess Cadence spoke up.

“I assume you asked me here for a reason.”

“You know what they say about assuming—Oh sit down, Cadence. You’re old enough to have learned to have some patience.”

“That’s easy for you to say when you’re the one making everypony dance to your tune.”

“You would rather hold the baton?”

“No!”

Princess Cadence’s exclamation hung in the air, seemingly ignored by Princess Celestia as she continued to review the proposal held in her field. In the quiet that followed, Princess Cadence shrank back, embarrassed by her vocal outburst. Chronicle, for his part, kept his peace and waited.

Princess Celestia put the last scroll down and leveled a flat, unimpressed stare at her niece. “That is too bad.”

“What?”

“As you so graciously pointed out, it is my birthday, and, since I will be out of the castle already, I thought it would be nice to extend my absence for a few days.” Princess Celestia paused, seeming to take in the looks of surprise worn by the other two, perhaps noting their subtle differences.

“That’s great, Auntie…” Cadence began, her head rotated to the right in a motion more common among birds than ponies, “but I don’t see what it has to do with me.”

“Is this wise, your Highness?” Chronicle asked, his voice steady despite his quivering ear and tail. Keeping his eyes locked on a point just to the left of the Princess, he continued, “I mean no disrespect, but Princess Cadence has very little standing among the House of Ladies. All things—”

“WHAT?”

“Cadenza! It is not polite to interrupt when somepony else is speaking. Mr. Chronicle, please continue.”

Chronicle hesitated as he cast glances between the two princesses. “All…” He cleared his throat. “All things considered, they will do their level best to usurp what power they can in your absence.”

“Which is why I have not shared my decision with anypony until now. Do not fret, Mr. Chronicle. I will only be gone for a few days at most. In the meantime, the docket has already been set, and she will have you here to help with any issues that may arise.”

“You can not be serious, Auntie!”

“Oh, I am very serious.”

“No. I won’t do it. You can’t make me! I abdicated—”

Princess Celestia stomped a hoof on the floor, her eyes alight with a baleful gleam. “I allowed you that grace, against my better judgement, in the belief that it was a phase you would out grow. When you founded the Crystal City, I had hoped that you were coming around to the idea of being a ruler. It appears I was far too optimistic. What you fail to realize, niece, is that you are my closest living relative and therefore heir to my throne. If—mother forbid—something were to happen to me, I will not have my little ponies saddled with a ruler who doesn’t know a treatise from a resolution.”

Princess Cadence shrank back, her head dipping below her withers as she glared at the carpet between her hooves.

“Now that we have an understanding,” Princess Celestia continued in a much calmer tone. “You will accompany Mr. Chronicle for the rest of the day and assume all of my legal responsibilities until I return. He knows his job and will be able to guide you through yours. Trust and rely on him, and you’ll do fine.”

Chronicle looked on in utter disbelief, unable or unwilling to process the words that he had just heard. It was patently absurd. There was nothing on Ioka that could possibly even hurt the immortal Goddess of the Sun. He would sooner entertain the notion of Ioka herself perishing than his beloved Princess. Yet, as his eyes searched hers for any hint of mischievousness or humor, he found nothing that she was anything but serious.

“Y-Your Highness?”

The Princess blinked, the unicorn’s shaken voice seeming to blindside her. With only that single beat missed, Princess Celestia’s muzzle relaxed back to her normal matronly composure. “Now, Mr. Chronicle, you need not worry about me. I have no intention of going anywhere for a very, very long time.”

With a careful nod, Chronicle tried to bury the unwelcome thoughts and focus on the tasks at hoof. “Of course, your Highness.” Overtly displaying one of the folders, he said, “Shall begin?”

Princess Cadence groaned as she flopped to the floor with a roll of her eyes.

— — — TCC — — —

A short—or long depending on perspective—two hours later, the trio had moved into Princess Celestia’s private quarters. Despite its size, the room could only be described as elegantly cozy. A round bed, easily large enough for four ponies—though likely only two alicorns—sat to the right of a large, unlit, fireplace. Bookshelves and glass fronted cabinets covered most of the walls, the former stuffed to bursting and the latter displaying a myriad of gifts from hundreds of rulers that were small enough not be locked away in a vault.

Princess Cadence and Chronicle sat near the entrance, doing their best not to stare at Princess Celestia laid out on the collection of cushions, wings open and limp against the floor. Her two hoofmaidens bustled around her, preparing the Princess for the coming celebration. May Breeze, a cheery yellow pegasus with a curly, light blue mane, worked methodically at the Princess’ wings, preening the sail’s worth of feathers at a pace that spoke volumes of her experience. Meanwhile, Juniper, an autumn-orange coated unicorn with a two tone gold and ruby mane, drew two brushes over her monarch’s coat and a third through the not-quite-hairs of her mane—Chronicle had never gathered the courage to ask whether the process was strictly necessary, but based on her grunts and the ever-so-occasional moan, he doubted it mattered.

“What of Ambassador Maison?” Princess Celestia asked.

“He did not seem to know of the latest incursion, but I believe that will change shortly, if it hasn’t already. Whether it will do any good, only time will tell.”

Princess Celestia waved her unattended wing lazily. “It’s a minor issue for the moment. If the queen truly intends to hang herself, I am more than content to let her. More important to me is the Ambassador himself?”

Chronicle nodded as his quill set about scratching down a few notes. “You were right, I think. There was something weighing on his mind throughout our game.”

“Wait,” Princess Cadence interjected for the first time without a prompt. “Silver Maison?” Chronicle nodded. “Spends every Solsday in the gardens playing with his little fillies. That Silver Maison?”

“So I would assume. Though I don’t personally follow his routine.”

“I saw him just the other day, and I didn’t feel anything wrong with him.”

“You rely too much on your Awareness, Cadence. Not every problem is related to love. Although—” Princess Celestia twitched and hissed as May Breeze plucked a broken feather from her wing before she sighed and relaxed again. “It would be good to rule that out definitively.” Focusing on Chronicle, she continued, “Make sure to formally introduce Cadence and the Ambassador, if at all possible in the presence of his wives. The sooner the better. In the meantime, I want somepony to keep an eye on him. If he gets any worse we may have to take action.”

“As you say.” Chronicle’s quill moved to a small day planner and scratched the note in the margin.

Princess Cadence made a sound, but stopped herself from speaking until Princess Celestia gave her a look and asked her to speak her mind. “I’m just… surprised. Isn’t this a little… beneath your notice?”

A small smile tugged at Princess Celestia’s lips, though if it was from her hoofmaidens’ ministrations or Princess Cadence’s question, Chronicle was unsure. “Do you remember when Lady de Lis passed away two years ago?”

“Yes,” Princess Cadence said, bemused by the sudden change in topic.

Princess Celestia closed her eyes as she continued, “We were quite fortunate that Fleur was both of age and willing to take her mother’s post. I fear this would not be the case were Mr. Maison to become indisposed. Neither of his wives are politically inclined, nor are his daughters of an age to take up his responsibilities.

“There are indeed no Hackney citizens in Equestria who could readily take his post. It would take many months for the Queen’s court to select a new representative and move them here. What’s more, there is no guarantee that his replacement would share his reasonable mindset. Hackney is enough of a hoofull without having a disagreeable ambassador with which to contend.”

“Speaking of Fleur de Lis and the Prench,” Chronicle said in the momentary pause, “it appears that they have signed a new trade agreement with the Roamans.”

“Oh?” Princess Celestia asked, lifting her head to look toward Chronicle, much to Juniper’s annoyance.

“It’s a sly piece of work, and I am honestly amazed that it passed through the Stable. Most of it is on the up and up, but there is a small section regarding the transportation of Equestrian goods across the Alpanies.” Princess Celestia frowned as Chronicle passed her the relevant documents. “Fine Print found the lines late last night.”

“Clever.” An amused smirk twisted one corner of the Princess’ lips. “Have Subtle Plume draft an official response and have it sent out on the first trade ship sailing to Roam. If you find an opportunity, speak with Fleur on the matter. I am certain she will want to be informed.”

— — — TCC — — —

Princess Celestia’s regalia glinted in Sol’s light. Behind her, the royal Phaeton awaited with four pegasi guards hitched to the front. Before her, Chronicle struggled to work through the last of the day’s business while Princess Cadence tried to seem even remotely interested.

“Has Ambassador Kara come back with a decision?”

“Not as of yet,” Chronicle said, barely looking up from his hooves as he stowed the last brief in his saddlebags, “though it appears she only just received word from Bloodrock this morning. I expect to speak with her sometime before the celebration.”

“Do you have a prediction of the King’s response?”

“He will attempt to hold out and haggle like a common street vendor, as griffons are wont to do, but they will come around eventually, out of necessity if nothing else. It will be the time it takes for another round of talks to pass across the seas before they agree.”

“Very good. Now, I must be off. It would not due to be late for my own party.” Princess Celestia turned to her niece and took a step closer, using a wing to lift Princess Cadence’s chin. “Cheer up, Cadence. It will not be nearly as terrible as you imagine.”

“So says you.”

“So says I,” Princess Celestia agreed with a small smile. She stepped into a familial nuzzle with the younger princess, resting her chin on her withers. Despite her pout, Princess Cadence returned the embrace with no less affection. After they pulled back, Princess Celestia asked, “If there is nothing else?”

“There is one more thing,” Chronicle said, a slight hesitation in his voice and a twitch in his left ear. Princess Celestia looked back at him, her one visible eyebrow raised. “The Reverend Speaker has sent her third request to speak to you this week.” Both Princess Celestia and Princess Cadence rolled their eyes. “You do yourself no favors by pushing the Sisterhood away,” Chronicle continued, doing his best to sound scolding and only mostly failing. “She is no less important than any one of the Ambassadors, more so than most.”

“Her three predecessors managed their duties without more than a single visit in a year.”

“The Sisterhood stagnated and diminished under them and—”

“And wasn’t it lovely.” She said in an almost dreamy voice.

“—and she managed to halt that decline in the one country in which a goddess resides. Her work has been instrumental in repairing our standings within Roam and Espanya.”

Princess Celestia sighed. “You are right, as usual.” Turning to leave, she added, “Cadence please be sure to fit her into your schedule.”

“What?” Princess Cadence gasped, mouth agape.

Princess Celestia gave a flip of her wing and continued to mount the phaeton. “Now, now, you are as much their goddess as I. It will be good for you to get back in touch with the Sisterhood.” Her hoof came down on the deck twice, and the guards began to move, dragging the phaeton behind.

They were just beginning to take off when Princess Cadence came out of her stupor. “Auntie! No! Get back here this instant! Auntie!”

Princess Celestia turned back with a smile. “I’ll be back before you know it, dear. Don’t work too hard.”

Chronicle did his best not to watch as one Princess began to disappear and the other called after her in escalating panic and desperation. Eventually, Princess Cadence puttered out, dropping back to her haunches in defeat. Stepping up to her side, Chronicle placed a comforting hoof on her withers.

“Come, your Highness, there is still much to do today.”