• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 682 Views, 12 Comments

The Sabre Saga - Marezinger Z



Twilight and her friends are summoned to the Crystal Empire to investigate strange occurrences in Blackhoof Valley, the forgotten homeland of King Sombra.

  • ...
2
 12
 682

Part 1: The Prince of Shadows

Author's Note:

This story was originally written in 2014 during the airing of season 4. The characters and cannon all reflect the state they were in back then; just so no one is confused about the setting of the story. Given the length, I have broken it up into three parts that will be re-introduced as I finish editing them. I haven't changed much; so enjoy my true, first story written in the MLP universe.
:pinkiesmile:

A cool, morning breeze blew through the Ponyville train station. It had been three weeks since Rarity left to attend the Equestria fashion expos in Baltimare, Manehatten and Fillydelphia and she was finally coming home. Twilight and her friends stood eagerly by the tracks, waiting for the nine o’clock train to roll in.

“Ooooh, I can’t stand the wait!” Pinkie bounced in place. “I’ve had Rarity’s coming home party planned out since the day she left!”

“This is the longest trip she’s ever taken.” Twilight looked down the tracks. “She must have dozens of stories; I just hope her designs went over well with the crowds down there.”

“She designs dresses for royalty.” Rainbow Dash waved off her worry. “I’m sure those stuck up socialites ate it up.”

“No pony out shines Rarity.” Spike proudly proclaimed from his perch on Twilight’s back. “I’m sure she was the most talented, graceful, beautiful, lovely….”

“Easy, sugarcube.” Applejack planted her hoof on his head with a laugh.

“Look, there’s the train.” Fluttershy noted as she headed for the departure hub.

“YAY!” Pinkie circled behind the others and ushered them along. As the train screeched to a halt, the whistle blew and the doors parted. Passengers began filing off and soon Rarity emerged.

“Rarity!” The girls yelled in unison as they hurried over to her.

“My word, you all made it?”

“Of course.” Twilight beamed. “We’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too, dears.” Rarity felt tears build at her reunion with her friends.

“Well, let’s get yer things and head on over to Sugarcube Corner.” Applejack started for the baggage car. “Pinkie Pie has yer welcome home party all set up.”

“YEP!” Pinkie bounded up behind Rarity. “Cake and punch and balloons and ice cream and streamers and music and….”

“She gets it, Pinkie.” Rainbow Dash halted her runaway train of thought.

“Here are your bags, miss.” A vested attendant approached with two, incredibly high carts of baggage.

“Oh my.” Fluttershy gazed up at them in amazement.

“Yes, dear, I did pick up a few things while I was at the expos.” Rarity stepped up beside her. “Plus, I have gifts for all of you.”

“Let’s load up then.” Applejack hefted several pieces of luggage onto her back. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy scooped up as many as they could and took to the air while Twilight and Rarity levitated some with their magic.

“Good thing your shop isn’t that far away.” Spike struggled to lift a bag twice his size.

“I’ll take this one!” Pinkie took up a hand bag in her mouth and quickly headed out.

“Thanks a heap, Pinkie.” Applejack grumbled as she followed.

After dropping the bags off at Rarity’s she took a single suitcase and followed her friends to Sugarcube Corner. As they entered, Mr. and Mrs. Cake greeted them warmly and Rarity beheld the massive welcome home banner hanging from the ceiling.

“Welcome home!” Pinkie leapt in the air, throwing glitter and confetti all over her friends. “Let's PARTY!” Hitting the music, the reunited group dove into the festivities. After filling up on treats and dancing their hooves off, they eventually wound down and settled at a table.

“Thank you all for the party, it’s so good to be home with all of you.” Rarity levitated her suitcase and brought it over. “As I said though, I didn’t come back empty hoofed.”

“Oh Rarity, you didn’t have to.” Twilight eyed the luggage.

“Nonsense.” Rarity toned. “I couldn’t possibly resist picking up some souvenirs. So for you, I picked up the latest edition of Historical Dress.” She levitated the book from her bag and placed it before her.

“Wow, thank you Rarity.” Twilight lit up at the sight of new literature.

“Fluttershy, I got you this hoof-stitched quilt decorated with all sorts of those little animals you adore.” She placed it before Fluttershy who went wide-eyed at the immaculate detail of the woodland creatures.

“It’s beautiful, Rarity. Thank you so much.”

“Rainbow Dash, I know you don’t accessorize that much, but this scarf was just so you that I couldn’t resist.” Rarity removed a long scarf, decorated in embroidered lightning bolts with the Wonderbolts crest at its center.

“Whoa.” Rainbow Dash took it and wrapped it around her neck; she stood tall and grinned proudly. “How awesome do I look?”

“Very.” Rarity laughed. “Now Applejack, there was a buffalo there who’s line was dedicated to turn of the century pioneer era. When I saw this, I immediately thought of you.” She took a lasso from the bag, it was made of strong rope interwoven with genuine gold strands and the end was capped with studded velvet.

“Sweet red delicious.” Applejack gasped at the sight of it. “Why that’s the finest lasso I’ve ever seen, thank you sugarcube.”

“I’m glad you like it.” Rarity seemed relieved finding something her rustic friend would appreciate. “Pinkie Pie?”

“Here!” Pinkie leapt up.

“Baltimare is home to some renowned bakeries so I procured you a copy of the Baltimare Baker’s Guide. It’s filled with some of the city’s most famous confection and candy recipes.”

“Wow!” Pinkie immediately began flipping through the pages and started drooling at the pictures. “I can’t wait to make these. Oh, this will be great for our next party.” She hugged the book and rocked back and forth.

Rarity turned her attention to Spike and magically reached into the bag once more. “Of course I couldn’t forget my little Spikey Wikey.”

“Aw, Rarity.” Spike’s cheeks turned red under her gaze.

“I found you the most adorable little hat.” She pulled a stylish top hat from the luggage, it was red and white and studded with tiny rubies. “And of course it comes with a matching snack.” Spike took the hat and reached inside, extracting a heart shaped ruby.

“Wow.” Spike went saucer-eyed. “A dragon’s heart ruby.”

“Indeed.”

“Thank you, Rarity.” He rushed over and hugged her.

“Of course, dear.” She squeezed him back.

“So, how about you tell us how your designs did on the circuit?” Twilight asked as everyone settled back down. Rarity immediately broke into the story of her three weeks across the cities. Detailing the beautiful fashions from around Equestria and of course noting the attention her own line garnered. Her works were placed in the top five in all three cities, something of which she couldn’t have been prouder of; and she informed that she already had several overseas orders to fill. Her friends hung on her every word and upon the end of her tale, Spike and Pinkie began cleaning up.

“Sounds like you had a wild time.” Rainbow Dash stood and stretched. “But we’re glad to have you back.” As she moved towards the door, Applejack cut her off.

“Get yer flank over there and help with the dishes.” She narrowed her eyes.

“Haha, I was… geez AJ.” Rainbow Dash innocently backed up towards the kitchen. Working together, they had the place back in ship shape in no time. They stepped out into the early afternoon sun and Rarity sighed contently at the sight of home.

“Well, thank you for all this.” She smiled back at her friends. “But now I have some unpacking to do.”

“I’ll help you, Rarity.” Fluttershy offered.

“Oh that would be lovely, dear; we have three weeks worth of gossip sessions to catch up on anyway.”

“It was good to see….” Spike began, but his stomach suddenly swelled up.

“Ha ha. Too much cake, Spike?” Pinkie poked him in the back and he belched up a large scroll.

“A letter from Princess Celestia.” Twilight immediately levitated it before her.

“Surely she must have heard of my return.” Rarity said with little modesty.

“Uh oh.” Twilight muttered.

“Well spit it out already.” Rainbow Dash hovered behind her.

“Dear Twilight, a matter of great urgency has surfaced and I request that you and your friends come to Canterlot to meet with Luna and I to discuss the matter. A pegasi drawn carriage will be at the library within the hour, please gather the others and meet it there.”

“Wow, sure sounds important.” Applejack saw the distressed look in Twilight’s eyes.

“Well, it seems unpacking will have to wait.” Rarity nodded soundly. “Let us go meet the escort.”

“Right.” Twilight snapped out of her worry and started out. They waited patiently for their ride, not truly saying much as Celestia’s urgent words hung over them. When the carriage arrived they boarded and were rushed to the castle. The guards saw them to the throne where the royal sisters awaited.

“Twilight.” Celestia approached them. “Thank you all for coming on such short notice.”

“Of course.” Twilight said as her friends bowed respectfully. “What’s going on?”

“There has been a disturbance near the Crystal Empire.” Celestia began. "Cadence and Shining Armor have done much to develop the region; recently they sent several survey teams into the cold tundra of what was once King Sombra’s homeland. The teams discovered his ruined castle and they were sent galloping back with claims of being attacked.”

“You mean Sombra is alive?” Twilight asked with great fear.

“We… do not know.” Celestia shook her head. “But we must investigate, so we are sending you all to meet with Cadence and your brother to assist them in the matter.”

“We’re on it yer highness.” Applejack promised.

“Yeah, if Sombra has come back we’ll make him regret it.” Rainbow Dash punched her hooves together.

“Take care.” Luna stepped forward. “We know not what horrors lie dormant in that forsaken place.”

“Horrors?” Fluttershy squeaked as she sank to the floor.

“We’ll be careful.” Twilight assured as she struggled to pull Fluttershy up.

“I have booked you passage on the next train, it leaves in half an hour.” Celestia looked over them confidently. “I have faith in you as always, but please tread lightly until we are sure of what we are dealing with.”

“Yes, Princess.” Twilight turned to her friends. “Let’s go ladies.” Under a combined cheer they hurried to the Canterlot station.

“It’ll be fun seeing Princess Cadence and Shining Armor again.” Pinkie said as she hopped alongside the others. “It’s been so long.”

“Given the circumstances, this won’t be a field trip.” Twilight reminded.

“Yeah… horrors….” Fluttershy quivered as her eyes blanked.

“Get it together, Shy.” Rainbow Dash bopped her on the head, bringing her back to reality.

“I’m sorry.” She shook the fog of her fear away.

“We’ll be fine, sugarcube.” Applejack said surely. “We may not have the elements of harmony anymore, but we still embody what they stand for. As long as we’re together there aint nothing we can’t handle.”

“Quite.” Rarity nodded. “Besides, we will have the Crystal Guard there as well.”

“For sure.” Spike noted from his perch on Twilight’s back. “Your brother’s been working hard to get the guards back to full strength.”

“I know.” Twilight thought of her brother for a moment. “It will be great to see him again; with all my new royal duties I haven’t had much contact with him.” As they arrived at the station the train was already preparing to leave, the conductor was informed of their arrival and immediately led them to a private car. As the train left the station, Pinkie stuck her head out the window and waved goodbye to the confused strangers on the platform. It was a long trip to the Crystal Empire, made even longer by the foreboding situation they faced. Spike slipped away as they sat and went to secure something to eat for his friends. The little dragon returned within the hour pushing a large meal cart.

"Hey, everypony. I've got breakfast for lunch." He announced.

“Oh, Spike.” Twilight smiled as she beheld the platters he began setting out on the built in dining tables. “Thank you.”

“No problem.”

“Oh Spikey, you are such a darling.” Rarity dotted his cheek with a kiss.

“Aww.” He held his cheek fondly.

“So what’s on the menu?” Applejack asked.

“Hay cakes with whipped cream and boysenberry syrup.” Spike hopped up beside Twilight. “And a sapphire sunrise for yours truly.” He lifted the lid of his platter to reveal a gem dotted egg plate.

“Delish!” Pinkie began wolfing hers down.

“I’ll say.” Fluttershy agreed as she took a far more modest bite.

“Only a few more hours till we get there.” Rainbow Dash noted through a mouthful. “I could have flown there faster.” She griped.

“We don’t all have wings ya know.” Applejack rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, and even some that do still can’t fly.” Pinkie laid her hoof over Twilight’s shoulder.

“Hey!” Twilight scowled as her friends broke into laughter. The remainder of the trip went smoothly and as they disembarked a familiar face was awaiting them.

“Twily!” Shining Armor hailed from the end of the platform.

“Brother!” Twilight ran over and threw her hooves around him.

“How’s my little Princess?” He set his head to hers and nuzzled her.

“I’m good, I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you to, sis. Sorry we haven’t seen each other much.”

“I know, we’ve both got a lot on our plate.” She sighed as the others found their way over and said their hellos.

“Hi everypony, good to see you all again.” He stepped into their circle. “Well, I take it you all know why you’re here?” He asked as they began their walk to the castle.

“Yes, Princess Celestia told us all she knew.” Twilight nodded. “Is everypony okay?”

“Yeah, the survey teams weren’t harmed although they’re too scared to return to the site. They said they were attacked by… well, by their own shadows.”

“What?” Rainbow Dash chuckled. “They probably saw a raccoon or something and let their imagination take it from there.”

“We’ve seen weirder, Rainbow.” Twilight pointed out.

“Cadence is waiting at the castle with the head surveyor. We thought you would like to talk to him.”

“It’s a start.” Twilight concurred as they continued on. The Crystal Empire was a welcome sight as they passed the gates and beheld the beautiful crystal dwellings. Shining Armor led them to the Crystal Throne and Twilight’s eyes lit at the sight of Cadence.

“Twilight.” Cadence smiled brightly as they hurried to each other and fell into their ritual greeting. “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” They laughed and hugged each other tightly.

“How are you, Cadence?”

“Well enough, all things considered.” They parted and Cadence eyed Twilight’s wings. “How’s the flying coming along?”

“It’s… getting better.” Twilight spread her wings, looking over her shoulder at the still foreign appendages.

“Yeah.” Rainbow Dash strutted over. “I’ve got her to the point where she doesn’t need a helmet to land.”

Ha ha.” Twilight laughed dryly.

“Well, I would love to catch up but we should get to the matter at hand.” Cadence motioned for the guard to show the surveyor in. They were soon joined by an elderly pony that still seemed shaken to the core by his ordeal.

“Twilight, this is Crossroads, our lead archeologist.” Cadence introduced as she allowed him to step forward.

“It’s good to meet you.” Twilight smiled but was only greeted with worried eyes.

“Hello, Princess Twilight.” He bowed.

“Please tell us exactly what happened.”

“Well, like I told Princess Cadence, we were just starting a detailed exploration of that old castle when we heard screaming coming from team two’s location upstairs. My team and I went to check on them and what we found was like nothing I had ever seen in all my years. It looked like their shadows had stepped out from the walls and were attacking them. We tried to help but fell victim to the same trap. I watched my own shadow rise up and take hold of me. We fought back and as soon as we found an opening we fled.”

“I’ve never heard of any type of magic like that.” Twilight thought hard about the story.

“Well, all I can say is I’m never going back in there and I suggest you stay away as well, Princess. That place is cursed, it should have been destroyed ages ago.”

“Thank you, Crossroads.” Cadence stepped in. “Please, see to your team.”

“Yes, Princess.” He bowed and left.

“Wow, I aint never seen somepony so shook up before.” Applejack said as the doors closed behind him. “Except maybe Fluttershy.”

“So what’s the plan then?” Spike asked.

“Well, I guess we’re just going to have to see for ourselves.” Twilight confidently turned to her friends.

“Oh, I knew you were going to say that.” Fluttershy sighed.

“I’m coming with you.” Shining Armor went to his sister’s side. “My protection spells should ward off anything that might come at us.”

“Ugh, setting hoof in an ancient castle. I can only imagine the dust.” Rarity turned her nose up.

“It sounds spoooooky!” Pinkie narrowed her eyes and let out a creepy moan.

“How far away is this castle?” Twilight asked, ignoring Pinkie’s attempt to scare her.

“About a two day’s trip from here, but it will be rough.” Shining Armor assured. “The ice makes travel treacherous and the winds make flying near impossible.”

“You should all take the remainder of the day to rest and prepare what you think will be necessary.” Cadence looked over them with a worried smile. “You can leave in the morning; Crossroads said that they left their campsite as it was so if you can make it there you will have a place to stay the night before going into the castle.”

“Okay.” Twilight immediately began organizing labor in her head. “Applejack, take Rarity and round up the equipment we’ll need for this trip.”

“Sure thing, Twilight.” Applejack nodded.

“Pinkie, I’m leaving you in charge of food.”

“Okey dokey lokey.” Pinkie stood tall and saluted.

“Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, can you two go with my brother and help him with preparations.”

“No problem.” Rainbow Dash laid her hoof over Fluttershy’s shoulder.

“I’m going to take Spike and do a little research to see if I can learn anything about Sombra’s homeland. Cadence, I’d love it if you could help seeing as you’ve had the most exposure to the history of this region.”

“Of course, Twilight.”

“Okay then, let’s get to work.” Twilight and Spike followed Cadence to the library while the others went about their assigned tasks. They slept well that night and met up again in the morning with Shining Armor in the courtyard.

“Alright everypony, grab your saddle bags.” Applejack distributed their packs.

“They are fully loaded with necessary gear, as well as a few cold weather accessories I procured.” Rarity proudly informed.

“And I’ve got enough food for ten picnics.” Pinkie hefted an immense sack onto her back.

“Wow.” Spike eyed the bag in wonder.

“Alright then, you girls ready?” Shining Armor asked.

“Yeah!” The majority cheered.

“Um… not really.” Fluttershy meekly added.

“Walk!” Rainbow Dash braced her head against Fluttershy's rear and pushed her along. As they headed out into the open lands, Applejack matched pace with Twilight.

“So, did y’all learn anything about the castle?” She inquired.

“Nothing much I’m afraid.” Twilight sighed. “Only that the area was called the Blackhoof Kingdom and was home to Sombra before he invaded and conquered the Crystal Empire. After his initial banishment, the place fell to ruin. The citizens there became nomads as nopony would take them in, seeing as they were the subjects of a tyrant.”

“Why?” Fluttershy asked. “It wasn’t their fault.”

“Fear I suppose.” Twilight shrugged.

“All that aside.” Rainbow Dash began. “We blasted Sombra good, how could he still be causing trouble.”

“He has no physical form.” Twilight shook her head. “When Sombra was originally defeated he was turned into a creature of shadow… It could be possible that a piece of him survived. Over time he might have re-manifested himself, I just don’t know.”

“Better to not jump to conclusions, dear.” Rarity cut in. “We could easily imagine all sorts of dreadful things with the little knowledge we have.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie sounded. “There could be goblins or shadow bats or... giant spiders!” She reared back and held her hooves up menacingly.

“Eeep!” Fluttershy ran behind Applejack.

“Quit it, Pinkie.” Applejack huffed.

“Just saying.” Pinkie smiled innocently.

Time wore on as they tirelessly walked; stopping only to eat they made camp at dusk and continued on the following morning. As the night of day two approached, they discovered Crossroads' abandoned camp. Applejack and Rainbow Dash set about fixing things up while Pinkie and Rarity reignited the campfire to prepare dinner. Shining Armor patrolled the area to ensure its safety while Twilight took Fluttershy to the sky to get an aerial view of the landscape. Spike sent word to Celestia updating her and Luna of their current location and situation; as he blew his flame to send the letter off, Twilight and Fluttershy touched down at his side.

“Okay Twilight, letter is on its way.” Spike smiled up at her.

“Good job, Spike.” Twilight patted his head.

“Did you see anything up there?” He asked as they headed for the fire.

“We saw the castle, it’s down the in the valley below.” Twilight sat before the fire in thought.

“It looks even scarier than I imagined.” Fluttershy admitted as she sat beside her. They watched as Pinkie and Rarity began wrapping up the cooking and soon the smells brought the others to join them.

“Smells great.” Shining Armor praised as he sat beside his sister.

“I must admit we did quite well given the… primitive circumstances.” Rarity smiled proudly.

“Shoot, y’all didn’t do much camping as a filly huh?” Applejack asked with a laugh.

“My parents tried but... honestly, deliberately sleeping outdoors?” Rarity cringed at the notion.

“I camped out in the backyard a lot.” Pinkie informed. “Although… I think it’s just because they wanted me out of the house.” She twisted her lips in thought as her friends laughed.

“Nothing better than napping outside on a cloud.” Rainbow Dash added as she stretched out. “One of the many perks of being a pegasus.”

"Ok, soups on!" Pinkie announced as she began serving her friends. "Although it isn't actually soup though."

Once dinner was served they discussed the details of what the next day would bring. As they wound down, everybody retired to their tents and did their best to sleep in the unfamiliar and potentially dangerous territory.


Shining Armor was up first and after rousing his sister he went to wake the others. Through yawns and grumbles the group assembled around the ashes of the campfire.

“I knew I should have brought my mattress.” Rarity complained as she stretched out her sore back. “I’ll most certainly need a day at the spa after all this.”

“Ah, it’s good for ya.” Applejack prodded her with a hearty laugh.

“Pack up and let’s get moving.” Shining Armor called their attention. “We need to get as much done before dark as we can, unless you want to spend the night at the castle.” He smiled as he saw them immediately begin getting ready. With a quick pace they made their way into Blackhoof Valley and soon found themselves at the broken gates to the long forgotten kingdom. The smell of decay was everywhere and all traces of warmth and life were long gone. They traveled more cautiously as they headed for the castle; the sight of it being even more foreboding than they were warned. The stone was black as night and tattered banners with Sombra’s crest flapped in the icy winds. Shining Armor halted them at the massive entry door, even the seasoned soldier feeling a chill in the castle’s shadow.

“Well, doesn’t look like anypony is home.” Fluttershy turned and headed back.

“Oh no you don’t.” Twilight lifted her in the air with her magic and returned her to the group.

“I’ll go in first, stay behind me.” Shining Armor instructed as he breached the doorway, they followed him in and looked around the silent main hall. Ancient paintings and ruined furniture adorned the area and the natural light was bleak as it passed through the filthy windows. Several hallways and a stairwell to the second and third floors gave an idea of just how vast the interior was.

“So… where to first?” Rainbow Dash swallowed hard, trying to keep her cool.

“Well, Crossroads said that the team was attacked upstairs, so we should start there.” Twilight summoned her courage and headed up with her brother. The others followed and they rounded the upstairs hall towards what looked like servants quarters.

“Hellooooo.” Pinkie softly called. “Any monsters here?”

“More visitors.” A bold voice drifted across the hall. “You are different than the last.”

“Who’s there!?” Shining Armor challenged.

“The six of you contain a powerful energy, one I have not felt before.” The voice continued, ignoring the question.

“Okay, can we go now?” Fluttershy cowered behind Rainbow Dash.

“Perhaps you are the ones that I require.” The voice came again.

“Back downstairs!” Shining Armor ushered them back but his shadow extended forward and rose from the ground, it grew in size and blocked their path. The girls screamed and turned to run only to be met by their unwanted host.

“An.. an alicorn!” Rarity gasped. They beheld the rich gray stallion before them, strong and lean with deep red eyes and a charcoal mane. The crest of a black hoof crossed with a sword decorated his flank and his long tail flowed like the shadows he commanded.

“Heads down girls!” Shining Armor’s horn lit up and he cast a powerful field that dispelled his shadow and unblocked their path. Under his lead, they ran around to the opposite side of the upper floor as the shadows on the walls animated. In their panic they split into three groups and hid in different rooms. Twilight and her brother found themselves in a lavish, guest bedroom.

“Oh no, we got separated. We have to find the others.” Twilight started for the door again but her brother halted her.

“Hold on, Twily. We will.” He took a controlling breath. “But we can’t just go galloping around in here.”

“You’re right.” Twilight calmed herself as best she could. “But, that clearly wasn’t Sombra."

“I know.” He opened the door a crack and looked around.

“See anything?”

“No.” As he opened the door further he heard a scream that clearly belonged to Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy!” Twilight felt her heart leap in fear.

“Come on, sis.” Shining Armor opened the door and they ran further down the hall, from the opposite direction they saw Fluttershy, Rarity and Spike barreling at them.

“Other way!” Spike called out. “He’s back there!” As they were upon them the siblings joined their retreat.

“Where are Applejack, Pinkie and Rainbow Dash?” Twilight asked through a sharp breath.

“Over here y’all!” Applejack’s voice hailed from downstairs.

“Yeah, let’s get out of here!” Rainbow Dash flew for the door and kicked it open. They ran out into the courtyard and saw shadows coming to life all around them.

“Full speed ahead!” Pinkie cried out as they hastened their pace; dodging the black masses, they galloped as fast as possible back for camp.

Exhausted, they collapsed when they reached the relative safety of the campsite. Their energy spent and their breath heavy, Spike quickly went to get his friends water.

“Here, Twilight.” He offered her the canteen and she hastily drank from it.

“Thank you… Spike.” She sat up as he went and did the same for the others.

“What in Equestria was an alicorn doing in there?” Rarity asked.

“Don’t know.” Shining Armor rose and looked back to the path. “But Twilight was right, that wasn’t Sombra.”

“Then who could it be?” Twilight looked to the others for answers.

“Yeah, we think we might have a good idea.” Rainbow Dash began digging in her pack. “Take a look at this, we found it in the dining hall.” She laid out a large roll of paper and spread it out with her hooves. It was a portrait of King Sombra, an unknown mare with her face worn away and at his heel a youthful, gray alicorn.”

“It can’t be.” Shining Armor beheld the painting. “Sombra had a son?”

“Looks like.” Applejack hummed in thought. “He’s way younger here but he fits the bill.”

“There was never any record of Sombra having a son.” Twilight recalled her research.

“Well I’m pretty sure he didn’t have this painted to fool the neighbors.” Pinkie noted.

“So what now?” Fluttershy asked. “We can’t go back there.”

“We need to report this to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They’ll have a better idea of what to do.” Twilight looked to Spike. “Send out a letter right away.”

“Sure thing.” Spike went to retrieve a scroll and quill.

“We need to get back to Cadence.” Shining Armor began packing up. “She isn’t safe there alone; if we’re dealing with Sombra’s son then everypony is in danger.”

“Right, let’s get a move on girls.” Applejack rallied the others. They pushed through the long return trip at double the pace; arriving back at the Crystal Empire in half the time. Shining Armor left the girls in the main hall and went to check on Cadence.

“I can’t believe we haven’t heard back from Princess Celestia yet.” Twilight began to pace.

“Maybe they don’t know anything either.” Spike watched her go back and forth.

“My friends!” Cadence’s voice called from the upper floor; she and Shining Armor hurried down and joined them. “Shining Armor told me everything, are we in danger?’

“We don’t know.” Twilight shook her head. “And Princess Celestia hasn’t responded yet.”

“I’m going to have the guards on full alert.” Shining Armor headed for the door. “I’ll be back soon.” As he left, the others gathered around Cadence.

“Is there anything you want us to do?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Only that you remain here, it is the safest place.” Cadence saw the weary looks in their eyes. “You should all rest.”

“We’re fine.” Applejack said as she yawned. “Shoot.” She tried to shake the tiredness from her.

“No, if something is to happen I will need you rested and alert.” Cadence smiled. “Please, get some sleep while Shining Armor and I see to the security.

“Okay, but if something happens don’t hesitate to come get us.” Twilight said as she and the girls headed for the guest rooms.

“Of course.” Cadence assured.


Twilight jolted awake as thoughts of all that transpired came to her, she sat up and looked out the window to see the afternoon sun. She leapt out of bed and jostled Spike’s shoulder.

“Spike, wake up.”

“Awww, ten more minutes.” He rolled over.

“Now, Spike. Imminent doom, remember?”

“Huh?” He opened his eyes. “Oh, sorry Twilight.”

“It’s okay, we were all exhausted. Let’s get the others and find Cadence and my brother.” As they left the room a winged shadow flew past the window. Rousing the rest of the team, they hurried to the throne where they found not only Cadence but Princess Celestia.

“Princess!” Twilight ran to her mentor’s side.

“Twilight, I am glad to see you all well.” Celestia bid the others to approach.

“We got worried when you didn’t write back.”

“I am sorry, Twilight; but when I learned what was happening I made preparations so that I may join you. I had no idea the situation was this extreme.”

“Don’t’ worry your highness.” Shining Armor placed his hoof to his chest. “I’ve tripled the security and have the entire area under watch.”

“So, did you know anything about Sombra having a son?” Rainbow Dash flew before the Princess.

“I did not. The news comes as a great surprise.” Celestia began walking outside and everyone followed. “And from what you tell me, his magic seems powerful.”

“Yeah, he can control shadows like puppets.” Pinkie hopped along at her side. “Totally creepy.”

“Well, I know little of shadow magic.” Celestia admitted. “It is an old art, long lost due to its fearful power. Many of the practitioners were hunted down and imprisoned, or worse.” They stepped out into the courtyard and took in the fresh air.

“I recall.” They halted as the familiar voice spoke to them.

“Oh no, he can’t be here.” Shining Armor stood before them. “Not with all the guards.”

“Did you honestly believe mere guards could keep me out?” From the shadow of the fountain rose the form of the gray alicorn.

“Persistent, aint ya?” Applejack challenged.

“Is it true?” Celestia stepped forward. "Are you the son of King Sombra.”

“Indeed.” He turned his attention to her. “My name is Sabre.”

“What is it you want?” She continued.

“I seek to rebuild Blackhoof Kingdom. In its golden age, my father’s strength alone was not enough to solidify its position; it was only due to the warmth and love of my mother that the people would serve him. Seeing as his subjects abandoned me when my father fell, I had hoped to seek out one who would stand at my side; but I knew well how the world feared my bloodline so I was unable to find an ally to my cause. I had long since given up, but when the six of you came to my home I felt a great power.”

“You mean us?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, milady. What is it that makes you stand out so vividly?” He asked.

“We held the elements of harmony.” Rainbow Dash stated proudly.

“I see, you are the embodiment of their power. Then you are indeed the ones I seek. I shall take one of you as my wife, and with you at my side we can rebuild my home.”

“What!?” Rarity gasped.

“You will do no such thing!” Celestia stamped her hoof in defiance. “I have heard enough.”

“I do not seek a war, I am not my father.”

“Yet you share his blind ambition and his willingness to take without thought of consequence.” Sabre seemed rattled by that idea.

“I care not what you believe, besides, this does not concern you. Now, I have a wife to choose.” He stomped his hoof down causing Twilight and her friends to begin sinking into their own shadows.

“Oh dear!” Rarity tried to pull free but could not.

“Rarity!” Spike ran to her and tried to help but he hadn’t the strength.

“Ahhhh!” Fluttershy tried to fly away but couldn't escape the magical pull.

“Hold on, Shy!” Rainbow Dash tried to reach her but found herself equally helpless.

“Hey, let us go you dern….” Apple jack struggled but disappeared into the darkness at her own feet.

“Weeeee!” Pinkie held her nose and merrily vanished.

“Brother! Princess! Help!” Twilight desperately reached for them.

“Sis!” Shining Armor ran to her but she disappeared before his eyes. He slammed his hoof down and cried out in anger.

“Oh no!” Cadence looked to Celestia. “Can’t you help them?”

“I cannot, he has taken them to the shadow plane.” Celestia saw Spike clawing at the spot where Rarity vanished. “Spike!”

“Princess?” He looked back to her with panicked eyes.

“Send word to Luna at once; tell her to get here as fast as her wings can carry her.” She ordered.

“Right away.” Spike ran inside to send the letter.

“What can we do?” Shining Armor went to her side.

“Hope.” Celestia sighed. “Hope that they can hold him off until my sister arrives, she will be the key to undoing this.”

“Oh, Twilight.” Cadence looked back. “Please stay strong.”

The girls found themselves in a black void; they were all floating about with no sense of up or down.

“Whoo hoo, I’m flying!” Pinkie backstroked by Rainbow Dash who was less than amused.

“Glad one of us is having fun.” Applejack rolled her eyes as she endlessly somersaulted in the air.

“Twilight, you must know a spell that can free us.” Rarity sailed past her.

“This guy is way out of my league.” Twilight admitted with a heavy sigh. “I can’t do anything.”

“I’d really like to go home now.” Fluttershy whimpered as she held her hooves over her eyes.

“Worry not, fair ones.” Sabre’s voice drifted across the blackness. “You will not come to harm.”

“Could have fooled us!” Rainbow Dash shouted back.

“This is the shadow plane.” He explained. “A place where only shadow magicians may freely travel.”

“Sounds delightful.” Rarity brushed her swaying mane from her eyes. “Could use a bit of color though.”

“Your Princess seemed insistent on interfering; I brought you here that we may converse in private.” The mares began to float away from each other.

“Hey, what’s going on!?” Twilight yelled. “Let us go!”

“Girls!” Rarity tried to reach for them but they soon left each other’s sight.

“Hello?” Pinkie called as she found herself alone. “Gee, maybe this isn’t so much fun after all.” As she drifted, she saw a patch of green below her. Flailing her limbs, Pinkie maneuvered towards it and as she did it grew in size and she could hear the sounds of a fair. Gravity finally took hold and she fell onto a cliff overlooking the festivities. Pinkie looked up to see clear blue sky and wriggled her hoof in the grass that had mysteriously appeared beneath her. “Weird.” She panned her eyes about.

“Wondrous, is it not?” She turned back to see Sabre before her. “A bit primitive to your standards but a merry time nonetheless.”

“Where are we?” Pinkie asked.

“This is the summer revelry, celebrated by the ponies of Blackhoof.” He walked up to her side and gazed down at the activity below. “I can see into your nature, you are one who takes great interest in such activities, are you not?”

“If that’s a fancy way of saying I like parties, then yeah.” She giggled.

“Well, somepony of your talent could spearhead a thousand such events. The ponies always enjoyed these times… they were my mother’s favorite. She always planned them and executed them flawlessly, she was beloved. You too could hold such status.” Pinkie absorbed his words as she watched the festival.

Rainbow Dash found herself seated in a stadium, she could hear cheers but couldn’t make out any faces and down in the arena were pegasi jousting.

“What is this?” She asked as she looked about.

“These are the Blackhoof games.” Sabre appeared beside her; she jumped from her seat and faced him.

“Where are my friends!?” She barked.

“Ah, that spirit. You are as bold as the winter winds and as fiery as a Phoenix’s wings. Traits truly befitting a queen, wouldn’t you agree?”

“You still on that? I’m not marrying anypony, much less some wannabe conqueror.” She scoffed.

“Conquest?” He looked away from her. “I have no such desires; I merely wish to resurrect what you see before you. A mare as strong willed as you could lead a nation to great heights, is that not what you wish? To be famous and respected?”

“Well yeah, but...” Rainbow Dash hesitated in thought.

Applejack wandered through a lush field, dotted with fruit trees and farms as far as she could see.

“Golly, there’s enough food here to feed half of Equestria.”

“Indeed.” Sabre stepped from behind a tree. “The ponies of Blackhoof were renowned farmers; they provided food not only for themselves but for neighboring regions that were not so fortunate.”

“Right neighborly of them.” She commended.

“My mother cared not only for her subjects but for all ponies. You share that quality, you are one who values family and friends even above yourself.”

“Well that may be true, but my friends and family aren’t here. They're back at Sweet Apple Acres and Ponyville.”

“A mare with your will and heart would make a fine queen. Your hard work and dedication could serve as an inspiration to an entire populous.” Applejack considered that as she looked over the vast and beautiful landscape before her.

Rarity found herself in a grand hall wearing a beautiful dress. She could hear the drifting conversation of ponies but saw no one.

“A mare as refined and lovely as you appreciates the finer things in life, no?” Sabre appeared behind her.

“Of course.” Rarity eyed him suspiciously.

“As queen, you could have whatever your heart desired and a hundred servants to see that your every need was met. You would never want again.” He approached her but she kept her distance.

“Well, the thought of being royalty has always appealed to me.”

“Then accept my offer, become what you have always desired and live as you have always dreamed.”

“It all sounds lovely, I assure you. But there are more important things to me, like my friends. What have you done with them?” She asked.

“They are safe.”

“I doubt any of us are safe here. You put on this little show in hopes of winning me over, but in the end it only shows how little you know. This is all just superficial, a façade that although lovely, hardly scratches the surface of who I am.” She turned from him and stamped her hoof. “Now, I demand to be released at once, you wouldn’t want me to start whining.”

Fluttershy sat frozen in fear in the middle of garden, it was beautiful beyond compare but she knew that it was fake.

“Milady, why are you frightened?” Sabre appeared and went to her side.

“You drag me down into a dark hole, separate me from my friends and ask me why I’m frightened?” She glared at him.

“Your friends are safe, as are you.” He eyed her curiously. “Your soft exterior hides a strong heart. My mother was a mare of many faces, at times kind and at times a fearful opponent to those who threatened that which she loved. You are much the same, you hide yourself but in an instant you can be the boldest of all. You value kindness and peace, traits truly befitting a queen.”

“I don’t want to be a queen. I just want to go home. Why are you doing this?”

“I have already told you…”

“No.” She stopped him. “Why are you doing this to us, you know this is wrong. You talk about kindness and warmth but I don’t feel any of that here, do you even know what those words mean?” Sabre was taken aback by her words.

Twilight sat in a massive library, surrounded by centuries' worth of tomes and texts.

“My fellow alicorn.” Saber stepped in from the grand doorway.

“You!” Twilight rose.

“I sense much greatness in you; magically adept, a natural leader, highly intelligent and royalty on top of all else. You are truly a wonder.”

“Sweet talk won’t get you far, Sabre.”

“I mean what I say, it is not mere flattery milady. Have you not ever wished to rule? To use your talents to guide and nurture an entire kingdom; as an alicorn, you could influence generations of ponies and help guide all of Equestria to new heights.”

“It’s true, I want to make a difference but not as a queen. I may be royalty now, but I never ask anypony to look up at me; I always stand at their side. Just because we have power doesn’t give us the right to just take charge. Princess Celestia is somepony that I will always care about and respect, not because she’s royalty and not because she’s powerful, but because she is the kindest and most loving ruler that Equestria could have ever asked for. Now, I think we’re done here. So in the name of…

“My friends.” Pinkie Pie said surely.

“My pride.” Rainbow Dash put her hoof down.

“My family.” Applejack nodded.

“My dreams.” Rarity sounded.

“My home.” Fluttershy said boldly.

“My Princess." Twilight commanded. “Let us go!” In an instant, the girls found each other reunited in the blackness from which they started; although still lost, they breathed a sigh of relief and hugged onto each other fiercely.

“Thank Celestia you’re all okay.” Twilight pulled them close.

“You are harder to convince than I thought.” Sabre’s voice returned and he appeared before them. “I did not wish it to come to this, but I see I will have to use more drastic measures if I am to achieve my goal.”

“Your plan ends now, Shadow Prince!” A bold and familiar voice echoed throughout the void.

“Princess Luna!” Twilight cheered as Luna lowered herself to their side.

“Impossible, how can you breach this plane?” Sabre asked in shock.

“Your shadow magic is formidable, but lest ye forget I am the Princess of the night. Your realm is far from beyond my jurisdiction.”

“Your power cannot contest mine. For what is the night, milady; but an endless shadow!” Sabre charged at Luna.

“Light of the moon, dispel these shadows!” Her horn lit up and a bright opal light surged across the blackness, Sabre was blinded by it and under the distraction Luna enveloped the girls with her magic. “Now, sister!” She called out as she fired a beam of intense magic straight upwards.

Back in the courtyard, Celestia saw a crescent moon form on the ground before her. “She’s done it!” Celestia flew into the air and fired a beam of her own down onto the moon, the empty half of the crescent filled in with half of her sun crest and a pillar of light exploded from the insignia. From it, Luna emerged with the girls in tow; she dropped them off and Celestia quickly closed the portal.

“Twily!” Shining Armor ran to his sister.

“Girls!” Cadence followed at his heel. “We were so worried.”

“Are you alright, my friends?” Celestia descended and joined them with Luna.

“We’re fine.” Twilight nodded. “Thank you, Luna.”

“You are welcome.” Luna tipped her head.

“Your interference is growing tiresome.” Sabre noted as he rose from the shadows once more. “I see I am going to have to deal with you first.”

“Not this time.” Shining Armor stepped up. “Now that you’re not hiding in the shadows, I’m going to make you pay.”

“If it is a fight you wish.” He spread his wings and split into three. “I will show you the true power of the shadows.”

“Stay here, girls!” Shining Armor charged in with Cadence at his side, Celestia and Luna took to the air and flew into the battle as well. One Sabre flew towards Luna and one towards Celestia, the third ran at Shining Armor and fired a magical blast from his horn. Shining Armor raised a barrier to fend the attack and powered on through; as he neared Sabre, the alicorn sank into the ground and vanished. “Coward!” As they looked about, Sabre rose from Cadence’s shadow and attacked.

“Shadow bind!” A series of black tendrils rose and took Cadence by the legs and neck, holding her fast.

“Help me!” She struggled.

“Release her and face me!” As Shining Armor ran to aid her, a copy of Cadence crawled up from his wife's shadow and blocked him. He paused at her visage and the duplicate fired a bolt of shadow magic, sending him to the ground. In the air, the sisters found themselves in a fierce battle as they sped through the sky, firing powerful streams of magic at their twin opponents.

“Your shadows are no match for the light of the sun!” Celestia released a wide burst of light that staggered Sabre. She dove at him, meeting his chest with her shoulder and sending him into one of the crystal pillars that decorated the courtyard. It toppled under the impact, but Sabre was quick to recover.

“Darkness is faster than light, milady! Shadow flash!” He moved with such speed that she could not track him, in an instant he was behind her and blasted her in the back. Celestia fell from the sky and landed hard on the cobblestone path.

“Sister!” Luna saw her sister’s plight and in the moment of distraction, Sabre plowed into her; she sailed across the battle field and fell not far from Celestia.

“We can’t just sit here!” Twilight watched the battle with fearful eyes. “We have to help them.”

“Twilight’s right, y’all.” Applejack stamped her hoof. “Rarity, get my rope.”

“The regular one or the fabulous one I got for you, I took the liberty of packing both.”

“Rarity!” Applejack toned.

“Haha, right… the regular one it is.” She retrieved her pack and tossed her the lasso.

“Alright ladies, let’s join the party! YEEEEE HAWWWWW!” The six of them ran into the fray, Applejack threw her lasso and caught the rear leg of the Sabre that held Cadence; she pulled back hard and brought him down.

“What?” Sabre looked back to see Applejack and Rarity charging at him. “You attack me as well?” His hold weakened, Cadence freed herself and went to Shining Armor, helping him to his hooves.

“This should slow you down.” Rarity used her magic to pull the fabric from the banners above and knotted them into a single piece; she entwined it around his wings and held them fast.

“Now, Princess!” Applejack called, Cadence and Shining Armor united horns and fired a blast of their combined magic that sent Sabre flying over the girls and into the fountain.

Twilight had gone to Celestia’s side and helped her up. Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy stood at their front and faced down the two Sabres above them.

“Girls… be careful.” Celestia warned.

“Don’t worry, Princess. We've got this.” Rainbow Dash flew up at her opponents with blinding speed, they broke off in separate directions and Twilight flew up to help her chase down one while Pinkie and Fluttershy tackled the second.

“You need to stop this, Sabre… if you wouldn’t mind.” Fluttershy asked meekly. “It isn’t too late.”

“Such words he will not heed.” Luna stood beside them. “Come pegasus, let us battle.” She flew at Sabre with a very reluctant Fluttershy behind her. Sabre fired down at them and they spread out, avoiding the shot. Flanking him on both sides, Luna fired back and struck his wing; he headed for the ground to recover but saw Pinkie standing in his path.

“You know… I vowed to never use my party cannon in anger.” Pinkie said solemnly. “But this is a special occasion.” She pulled her cannon out from behind her and fired; a barrage of confetti, streamers and balloons met Sabre in the air and sent him spiraling out of control. He landed hard and rolled several yards before stopping.

“Well done.” Luna commended. “Unorthodox… but well done.” Pinkie saluted up at her with a huge grin.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash chased the remaining Sabre through the sky, the less experienced Twilight struggled to keep up but Dash was on his tail.

“Where you going, buddy!” Rainbow Dash flew past him and doubled back.

“Why do you fight me?” Sabre vanished before her eyes. “I seek only to give you a life befitting your strengths.” He appeared above her and came down horn first, a blast of magic sent him off course and Twilight flew to her side.

“Thanks, Twi.” Rainbow Dash held her altitude and looked for their enemy.

“Girls!” A beam of light flew above them and struck Sabre, who had hidden in the clouds. Celestia ascended to them and trailed him as he regrouped.

“Princess, you’re okay.” Twilight hugged her.

“Yes, but we must end this. We need to force him to the ground.”

“On it, keep him busy.” Rainbow Dash flew straight up and vanished into the clouds. As Sabre returned, Twilight and Celestia connected of rope of magic between their horns and flew out and around him; as he neared, they sped up and circled the snare around him. Flying over and under each other they bound him just as Rainbow Dash came back into view, descending at terminal velocity.

“Let's see how you like a sonic rainboom!” She collided with him as the wave of rainbow light broke around her, he plummeted from the sky and they quickly pursued him. They landed to find the others corralling their respective Sabres near the third that had just fallen from above. Forming a circle around the three of them, Sabre fused himself back into one and held his ground.

“Give up.” Shining Armor braved several steps toward him. “It’s over.”

“Hardly.” His eyes lit up and he spread his wings; the shadows of the fountain, pillars, plants and furniture all beginning to move in response.

“To me!” Celestia flew up and over him, landing beside Luna as the others assembled around them. The shadows rose from the ground in a sea of writhing vines that gathered behind Sabre in a great wall.

“Endless night!” He slammed his hoof down and the wall of shadow charged at them.

“Light of the sun, stay the darkness!” A light, brighter than the sun itself, exploded from around Celestia; the shadows were forced away leaving Sabre open.

“Now, Dash!” Applejack galloped in.

“Right.” Rainbow Dash flew above her and they locked hooves. Quickly accelerating, she whirled Applejack around and threw her at Sabre. Extending her powerful hind legs, Applejack kicked Sabre with such force that he flew back and through one of the pillars. Twilight let loose a hail of magic into the rubble as Pinkie, Rarity and Shining Armor moved to engage. Sabre rose from the debris and took to the air, but Rarity had fashioned ropes from nearby cloth and sent them up to bind his forelegs and tail, each of them took a rope and held him still.

“Princesses, Now!” Twilight called. Sabre looked up to see Celestia, Luna and Cadence teleport into a triangle formation above him; their horns radiated and they sent a massive wave of magic down at him. He wailed as his body absorbed the shock and he was brought down with force that shattered the cobblestone beneath him. As the dust settled he lay still; exhausted, everyone fell back and hoped that the battle was finally over.

“Is he down for the count?” Spike asked from his hiding spot behind Fluttershy. They watched as the alicorn stirred, he lifted his head and looked out over those that stood against him. Celestia saw something in him change greatly, his powerful aura waned and his eyes turned from red to a smoky blue.

“I… I do not understand…” His managed through a weakened voice. “All that I offered you, all that… that I could have given you, did that mean nothing?”

“Of course.” Twilight stepped forward. “You can’t force somepony to love you.”

“Quite.” Rarity joined her. “Nor can you buy love with promises of wealth and power.” She said firmly. “No matter how attractive those things may be.” She mumbled.

“And… you all feel this way?” He looked over the girls who nodded their response. “I see.” A pained look crossed his face. “I see that I cannot escape the curse of this bloodline...and that I am no better than my father after all.”

“Cadence, Sis, Princess Luna.” Shining Armor approached him. “Lend me your magic and I can form a seal to hold him. After that we can lock him away, forever.” They stood at his side and their horns began to glow but Sabre did not move, he merely lowered his head longingly and awaited his fate. Celestia saw this and was about to intervene but someone beat her to it.

“Stop it!” Fluttershy flew before them with hooves spread, they broke formation and canceled the spell.

“Fluttershy! What are you doing!?” Twilight shouted.

“That’s enough… it’s over… no more fighting.” She landed and looked back to Sabre who was struggling to rise. He got to his hooves and tried to take a step; as soon as his right foreleg touched the ground he lurched forward in pain and quickly brought it up to his chest. With heavy breath, he tried to open his wings but the left would not unfold; it was contorted and sprained beyond use. Without word he turned and began to hobble away, heavily favoring his injured leg.

“Oookay, that wasn’t what I was expecting.” Rainbow Dash looked to the others in confusion. Fluttershy ran over and took up her pack before galloping after him.

“Fluttershy! Get back here!” Applejack called.

“Shy!” Dash tried to follow but Celestia blocked her with her wing.

“Wait.” She requested, Rainbow Dash grumbled but did as asked.

“Sabre!” Fluttershy yelled, he stopped as she rounded him. “You’re really hurt.” She set her pack down. “Here, let me see your leg.” She gently took his hoof and stretched it out; removing some ointment from her pack she began applying it to the deep gash.

“Milady… why do you aid me?” He asked.

“Because I know you’re not bad.” She paused to smile up at him. “You’re just lonely… and frustrated.” She returned to her work. “We’ve all been there at one time or another, but your case seems pretty extreme.”

“An understatement, milady.”

“Well, anypony can feel alone at times; and when we do we make bad choices because we think the world is a mean place. But that isn’t true and it’s never too late to turn your life around.” She took out gauze and bandaged his leg. “Here, let me see your wing.” He lay down before her and she began repeating the process for his damaged wing.

“I know nothing else, milady.” Sabre lowered his head. “I am a Prince without a kingdom, a populous… a family.”

“The best first step you can take is to make a good friend; somepony that will be there for you and help you through the bad times and celebrate the good times.”

“I am the son of one of the most hated tyrants in Equestria’s history. The world curses my name and my lineage… I doubt I shall ever have a friend.” Fluttershy finished mending his wing and smiled warmly.

“Well, you’ve got one now.” She placed her hoof to his body.

“You would become such a thing for me? After all I have done?”

“Sure. I’m certainly not ready to be anypony’s wife, but I’m always willing to be their friend.”

“I know not what to say.”

“That’s the best thing about friends. You don’t have to say anything.” Fluttershy gazed at him with kind eyes and a smile came to his face.

“Well I’ll be.” Applejack smiled.

“You know, sometimes I think Fluttershy is the strongest one of us all.” Twilight admitted with a relieved laugh.

“They approach.” Luna informed. Sabre struggled to walk but went to Celestia with Fluttershy at his side; despite the pain, he knelt before her and lowered his head.

“Milady, I apologize for my transgressions. It was wrong of me to attempt what I did and even though I hardly deserve such a thing… I ask your forgiveness. I ask you this with the promise that I will trouble your lands no more. I have been a blind fool and wrong about… about everything. I shall return to my broken home and condemn myself to the shadows, where I belong.”

“What?” Fluttershy looked to him sharply. “Sabre, you can’t. That isn’t the answer.”

“She is right.” Celestia finally spoke. “You may have been wrong about much, but there is one thing you are most certainly correct about.” She looked softly into his eyes. “You are not your father. Sombra was a monster and I see no such thing when I look into your eyes. I can only imagine the pain you must hide inside, being abandoned and locked away from the world for so long. But as Fluttershy said, it is never too late. My sister is living proof of that fact. As such, I will not allow you to return to that cold and empty castle; I ask that you return to Canterlot with us and I will do all I can to help you rediscover the world that has been lost to you for so long.”

“Milady.” Sabre stood and lowered his head respectfully. “I accept your kindness with many thanks.”

“Very well, then we can consider this matter closed.” Celestia looked around and saw everyone sigh in relief.

“And when you’re ready, you can come to Ponyville and visit us.” Fluttershy added enthusiastically, she looked to the others for agreement but found only concerned stares. “Girls?”

“It is alright, milady.” Sabre smiled down at her. “I have already been afforded more kindness than I deserve, I cannot ask them to so readily….”

“Aw geez.” Rainbow Dash cut in. “If you’re cool with Shy… then you’re cool with me.” She set her hoof to his leg with a smirk.

“Well, if we can be friends with Discord, we can be friends with anypony.” Applejack stepped up to him as well.

“You did try to abduct us.” Rarity began. “But that merely tells me you have good taste.” She fluffed her mane.

“I promise the next time you see my party cannon it’ll be a good thing.” Pinkie bounced up next to him.

“We certainly got off on the wrong hoof.” Twilight approached him. “But I hope we can be good friends someday.”

“I look forward to it, milady. Thank you.” Sabre said sincerely.