• Published 21st Mar 2012
  • 1,037 Views, 21 Comments

The Disarray Trilogy Part 1: Of Harmony and Chaos - Ink Blotch



Discord's legacy resurfaces to challenge Twilight Sparkle's and friends abilities and faith.

  • ...
1
 21
 1,037

Chapter 8: The Calm Before the Storm

The Disarray Trilogy

Part one: Of Harmony and Chaos

Written by Walker “Ink Blotch” Holden

Chapter 8: The Calm Before The Storm

The journey back to Canterlot was less laborious than the journey from. The path was pre-cleared and Celestia now walked with a stride in her step Luna trailing beside her and Discord in his pendant. He had remained silent for most of the trip from his old laboratory. He had still felt longing to rummage through his old things in the place he once called home again but he had no time to think about such things. Now he had to think on how to save his creations. “No!” He thought. “My children! I must think how can I appease to Celestia’s better nature. If they have made their move which I assume they have then Sparkle will have met them. Knowing her she has probably done what Celestia would have and locked them up without listening to their claims. But if one of my sons has befriended Celestia’s yes-mares… No I must abandon that hope the only one of them I know at all is the unicorn and I barely had time with him… Look at me. The mighty Discord now struggling to protect his own children most of which he has never even met. It is all my fault. I assumed Celestia would allow them to live but” Discord stared up at Celestia and the smile she wore. “Thousands of years of solitude will do things to an alicorn. It would appear I have only one hope then.

Celestia came to an abrupt halt. Luna mimicked. Celestia took in a deep satisfied breath. “I think we have travelled far enough today. I believe that we are long overdue for a proper rest. Don’t you agree Discord?”

“I couldn’t agree more.”

Celestia had not expected Discord to speak but her smile only widened. “Well well Discord your silence strike has come to an end it would seem.”

Discord sighed. “Yes Celestia you have out bested me. I am in no position to retaliate and can only standby and watch you complete your deeds.”

“Sister?” Luna asked. “What is it you plan to do to them?”

Discord was shocked that Luna had gone this long without even knowing Celestia’s plan. Celestia acknowledged her sister and replied. “They are to be executed the moment we find them. They are too dangerous to be left alive. Now with this journal of spells finding them will be as simple as breathing.”

Luna’s reaction was hard to read. She seemed shocked, disgusted and fearful all at once. “But sister under what crimes?”

Celestia’s smile faded. “Must we have a reason to execute the guilty? Or if we are going to hold everything by the book should we open your file again?”

Luna gave a sharp intake of breath and looked at the ground and remained silent. Discord sympathized her. They set up camp in another hollow tree after inspecting thoroughly for poison joke. It was when Celestia was removing her armor that Discord saw his opportunity.

“Celestia we need to talk.”

Celestia gazed towards the locket. “About what?”

“I have given you the how and you already have your why and I suspect you have your when and where in mind but now I want to give you the what and who.”

Celestia decided to bite and amuse Discord. “Very well continue.”

“You already know where the soul of my ponies came from but have you ever wondered what the rest was made of?”

“I already know. When you made them before you used the chromosomes and genetic structure of my father’s most elite soldiers.”

Discord shook his head. “Do you really think that those samples would still be viable after all this time?”

Celestia was now honestly curious. “Then who’s” She asked “did you use?”
I could save them yet…

*********************************************************************


She opened her eyes and Twilight sat straight up. She was in a cold sweat and her heart was pounding. She tried to move her leg but found it locked in a cast with an IV imbedded in her wrist. Her back ached from being in one position for so long and her neck popped at the slightest movement.

“TWILIGHT!”

Twilight looked to her side and saw Spike sitting in a chair waiting for her to awaken. She looked at herself and found she was draped in a hospital gown.

She stammered “S-Spike where am I?” She remembered she wasn’t the only pony in the forest. “Is everypony ok?”

“Whoa whoa whoa Twi, calm down everypony is fine. Just a little scratched up.”

“A little scratched up? Say that again to my face.”

Twilight looked in the bed next to her and saw Rage with an identical cast on his arm and scars covering his flank and sides.

Spike rolled his eyes “Ok in comparison you seem scratched up. Its your own fault for fighting the diamond dog anyway you could have just let it run off from what your story said.”

“I couldn’t just let him go! He tried to hurt my frie-” Rage cut off midsentence.

“Oh mister tough guy doesn’t want to admit he cares about ponies. How intimidating.”

“Your digging a grave once I get out of here mailbox.”

Twilight decided it would be best to break the both of them up before things got out of hoof. “Spike what happened? I remember passing out and then nothing.”

“I think I know somepony else who could tell the story better…” Spike replied holding back a chuckle. He hopped off his chair and walked out the room. He returned a minute or two later with Monarch and a blue Pegasus with a rainbow mane.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight remembered the explosion of colors and realized it must have been a sonic rainboom. “You got back from Canterlot so early?”

Rainbow spoke with an unnecessarily high pitched voice. “Yes of course I the uh… Incredible Rainbow Dash rescued you Twilight Sparkle!”

Spike nudged Rainbow and whispered “Dude her voice isn’t that high pitched.”

Well I've barely met here I can’t remember the sound of her voice.”

Twilight understood who she was dealing with now. “Silver Lining?” She asked her voice reflecting her confusion.

Silver and Spike both broke out laughing. “Yeah it’s me did I fool you?”

“For a little bit.” Twilight admitted “But this still has not answered my question what happened?”

“Well” began Monarch “We were trying to escape the Everfree forest when I slipped and fell. The predators of the forest were beginning to circle us and I honestly thought it was all over. But then Silver here” He slapped a hoof over his brother's neck. “did a sonic rainboom and scared all of them off. Then the explosion of the rainboom marked where we were and your friends all came to save us. They brought us to the hospital and you were in a coma for twenty-four hours. eal touch and go for a while, Spike never left your side.”

Twilight was satisfied by this answer. Discord hadn’t been kidding when he said the three were as powerful as them. SHe had never even had thought it would be possible to replicate the sonic rainboom. But now she had another question for Silver. “Why is your hair like that?”

Silver flipped some hair out of his eye and answered “A side effect of the rainboom. You honestly didn’t think Dash had this hair since birth did you? Rarity said she would help me bleach it later.”

“Good I can’t stand copycats.”

This time the real Rainbow Dash had entered and she did not look too pleased at Silver revealing her secret. When she saw Twilight her face lifted. “Twilight! Your up, good I’ll wake everypony up and the docs can finish patching you up.”

Twilight was more than happy to see her friend but before she could get a word in Rainbow had already left to retrieve their friends. A few moments later they paraded into the room. Everypony from the forest was there even Zecora. Twilight felt so relieved to see all of them safe. Soon everypony was busy in retelling of the story of the roc and diamond dogs around Rage’s bed as he told a slightly exagerated story of how he fought off one of the diamond dogs when it had tried to take a bite out of Applebloom.

When no pony was paying attention both Applejack and Rainbow Dash got on opposite ends of Twilight's head and began to whisper to her.

“Ahm sorry Twi. Bout the Disarray brothers I mean. We had to let em come to the hospital and get patched up. You’ll never believe it but Monarch may have actually tried to save you!” Said Applejack.

Twilight opened her mouth to confess her friendship with Monarch but Rainbow Dash interrupted. “Don’t worry as soon as we get back to the library we can lock them up where they belong. I tell you the sooner the better.”

Twilight opened her mouth again but Applejack spoke up again. “Twilight I know you despise the varmints but the truth is they might not be so bad… They risked life and hoof to save Zecora and Applebloom and then they got us out of the Everfree forest safe an sound. Last night Monarch actually told me about their past and well… Ah feel sorry fer them. They’ve gone through a rough patch and theys is just trying to find peace.”

Twilight didn’t even try to speak this time as Rainbow Dash said “Are you kidding Applejack? After what they’ve done? After the Princess told us to be careful of them no matter what?”

“All ahm sayen is-”

“Would you both stop it!” Twilight said just loud enough for the two of them to hear. “I have already spoken with Monarch and I know they're story. I believe him and appreciate him and his brothers for saving me. That being said I still can’t determine if they have ulterior motives.”

She looked at her friends to see they're reactions. Applejack seemed at rest but Rainbow Dash was not convinced. “Twilight are you sure? I mean the Princess doesn’t trust them and I sure don’t trust them.”

“It’s ok Rainbow. We aren’t letting them run wild I just think we should give them some breathing room is all.”

Rainbow sighed but said in defeat “Ok Twilight I trust your judgment. But I’m keeping an eye on them.”

Rainbow and Applejack went off to socialize with everypony else before they were all ushered out by the doctors so they could finish healing Twilight and Rage. The doctors were unicorns and once everypony was gone they each went to a bedside and their horns began to glow. Twilight felt her flank become hot and tingle. When the doctor was done the cast unraveled to reveal Twilights flank completely re-grown.

“There you are Ms. Sparkle, Mr. Rage good as new. If you will follow us we can take you to check out.”

The checkout was done quickly. Both of them were told to try and stay off of their bad legs for a few days and to come back if anything was wrong. When they were wheeled out front in wheelchairs they were met by their friends all waiting for them lead by Pinkie wearing a party hat, a red clown nose and had a noise maker in her mouth.

“Woohoo!” She exclaimed in excitement. “This is fantastic! You’re both all okie dokie lokie and out of the hospital! Do you know what this calls for?”

The only pony to ask what was Silver Lining who asked in a very excited tone.

“A PARTY!”
*********************************************************************

Rather than a usual Pinkie Party this one began with a tour of Ponyville. Pinkie rushed them through all the streets pointing out different buildings of significance and introducing them to anypony they met along the way. Zecora had left shortly after the tour had begun saying that she was needed back at her hut.

When they reached Sugarcube corner Pinkie insisted they stop for a late lunch. Twilight was not sure how but Pinkie had somehow told Mr. and Mrs. Cake about the brothers already Even though she had not left the hospital the day before.

Whether or not they knew everything was beyond Twilight. They all ate a hearty lunch of carrot cake swapping stories and jokes and at the end the cakes passed around root beer floats to everypony.

“Pinkie you were right” said Cup Cake. “Your new friends are a hoot and your new pegasus boyfriend is just a peach.”

When Cup Cake said this Silver Lining ended up spraying Rage in the face with his mouthful of root beer. Rage mane dripping, kept a still face and only let out a sigh being far too used to this sort of event.

Not noticing this Pinkie Pie blushed put a hoof to her face and replied “Cup Cake! He’s not my boyfriend.”

Cupcake smiled at Pinkie and said “Oh of course not dear.” But her facial expression said more as she trotted away to find a towel for Rage.

When she was gone Pinkie and Silver stared at each other for a moment from across their table but both of them blushed and quickly looked away.

*********************************************************************
After lunch the tour of Ponyville continued and they soon had passed all of the houses and businesses and were back at Twilights house where the library was decorated for a classic Pinkie party. How any of this had been done Twilight did not even bother to ask. The party started out small in the afternoon spent mostly with Silver Lining telling his cutie mark story (Another tale for another time) while Rarity bleached the rainbow out of his hair.
However as time passed more and more ponies got word of a party at Twilight Sparkle’s house and like parasprites to honey the ponies came.

Some time later Silver’s hair was back to its normal white and the library was filled with ponies.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders had been sent home despite their pleas to see a Pinkie party after dark. But Applejack and Rarity would not have it and rightfully so. Because soon after the party had gone up into high gear. Pinkie had called in a favor and her friend Vinyl Scratch was there blasting music at levels not suitable for strong ears. Pinkie had also brewed up a new party punch formula that was as bright a pink as her and would bubble every now and then on its own. Twilight found herself on the makeshift dance floor light headed and dancing badly.

Celestia! Why did I agree to try Pinkie’s new punch recipe? How much booze was in it?” Shaking of her drunkenness Twilight staggered to the kitchen where she had in foresight made a pot of coffee for such an event.

After she had chugged down half of a cup she noticed she was not the only one in the kitchen. One of Twilights friends Lyra had her head in a bucket while another pony named Bon Bon rubbed her back. Lyra let loose a heavy heave and the sound of vomiting came from the bucket. Bon Bon gave Twilight a look as if to say “Don’t drink the punch”.

This punch is a monstrosity and must be stopped!” Twilight thought to herself.

Returning to the party Twilight inspected the snack table to see how many ponies had drunk the punch. She found the bowl near empty but also a very happy looking Berry Punch nearby with a dazed yet happy look on her face trying to sing along to the music being played. Twilight decided it was safe to assume that ponies that lived in Ponyville longer than her would know to be wary around new punch recipes from Pinkie. “Wait…” She thought “Ponies that have… Oh no!

She scanned the crowd for any of the brothers as quickly as she could and found Rage sitting at a table with the jazz pony Blues. Twilight saw a half empty cup near to Rage’s hoof that was on the table. She snuck up to the two of them using groups of ponies as cover. She had to know how drunk Rage was she didn't like the idea of one of the most vicious ponies she had met being drunk. But to her surprise Rage was in fact smiling and when she got closer she heard some of Rage’s and Blues’s conversation.

Blues seem a little nervous and did not make eye contact with Rage. “Well...” he said “I guess I never had thought of it that way and I’ve never met Mrs. right...”
Rage smiled wider. In an unusually sweet voice he asked “So what do you say big guy?”

Blues finally looked at Rage blushing but the two began to lean their heads in closer to each other until...

Twilight quickly turned away and trotted to the other side of the room face flushed red and feeling rather warm. Her mind was going on overload. “Were they? But Rage never seemed- Well I never envisioned him with a colt. But I never did envision him with a filly either! I don't have a problem with this but I never imagined for a second...”

Leaving what she had seen behind Twilight bumped into the second brother. No really bumped. Both Twilight and Silver fell to the floor, Silver dropped the cup he had been holding but nothing fell out from the empty cup.

“Oh, sorry Twi*hic*light” Silver it was easy to see was much more drunk than Rage but only by a little bit.

“Its fine but Silver? How much punch have you had?”

Silver brought up a hoof and counted off on his- wait what?

“Uhm one?*hic*”

Twilight sighed with relief. “Good. Hey um Silver?”

“Yeah Twilight?”

“Can I ask you a question about Rage?”

Silver shrugged with his wings. “Sure but only if I can ask you a question afterwards.

“Ok. Well my question is... Well, how do I ask this...”

“Yes.” Answered Silver.



“Yes” Silver repeated “Rage is gay. Very gay.” He added “Ok my turn.”

“But.” Twilight said but was interrupted by SIlver.

“No,no. We had a deal.”

Giving up Twilight was silent to hear his question. Silvers face became red and he began building up nerve finally after a moment he asked Twilight his question. “What does um, Pinkie think about me?”

Twilight felt very unsurprised. But she also felt she kind of owed Silver for saving her. Twice. “Well I don't know. But I know somepony who does.” She said semi slyly.

“Really?” SIlver said perking up. “Who?”

Twilight turned Silver’s head towards the dance floor Where Pinkie was dancing to her favorite song mainly by spinning in a circle.

Silver gulped but seemed to get the message as he nervously and slowly began to make his way to her. Twilight decided he was going far too slow and gave him a shove with a magical wall pushing him into the dance floor next to Pinkie. He then whether by his own choice or instinct began dancing. Badly,but dancing just the same with Pinkie.

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief now knowing that both of the brothers were sober enough. “Well maybe I should check on Monarch. Nah I doubt that Monarch would ever-”

“HEY! Twilight Spaaarrrkllleee!”

Monarch appeared from behind Twilight and wrapped an arm around her. “Hey-hey how are you?” The obviously drunk unicorn asked with a derpy face. “I wuz- I wuz jus looken for you. All four of yous.”

Monarch passed out on her shoulder. Twilight glanced around for help but realzied it was probably best if she did this herself. She Kept supporting him on her shoulder and heaved throught the crowd to the stairs that went up to her bedroom. When they finally got there she closed the door behind her to try to muffle out the music from downstairs but only managed to turn it into a deep *unce unce unce*. She laid Monarch down on her bed. Once there she levitated a bowl from a shelf nearby and kept it handy remembering Lyra. Sooner than expected the bowl was in use. She rubbed the back of his neck but looked away has he heaved, belched and vomited.

When he had finished he breathed heavily licking bile of his lips. Then he said “Sorry Ms. Sparkle. I guess I'm a light weight. I only had one.” He blushed in embarrassment.

“It’s ok” Twilight replied. “I guess ten month year olds shouldn’t drink alcohol.”
Monarch laughed but was interrupted by more puking.
*********************************************************************


“Come on do it. They didn’t come back last night they won’t come back tonight!”

Hilt gulped. The rookies of the royal guard squadron he and his best friend Blade had been dutied to night watch on the princess’s throne room when they had left. A usually boring and tiresome job the two brown earth pony stallions had been able to talk, play cards and catch up on sleep. Each of those nights Blade had sat upon Celestia’s throne and prompted Hilt to do the same with Luna’s. Hilt had been reluctant but tonight peer pressure got the best of him and he was going to do it. To add Luna’s throne was beautifully made and looked like the stuff from ponytales.

He turned at the throne and slowly lowered his rump. It was like sitting on a puff of air. Hilt let his muscles relax and he closed his eyes and got comfortable.

“Feels good huh?” asked Blade.

“Yeah.” Responded Hilt.

“Like sitting on air?”

“Yeah.”

“I tell you I could get used to- ACK!”

“Yeah.”

Hilt realizing his friend’s terrified yelp opened his eyes and was face to face with both of the princesses.

“P-princess!” They both instinctively saluted out as they jumped from the thrones.

“W-we weren’t expecting you back so soon…”

Celestia stood tall with a mischievous smirk. “I can see that.”

Both guards rushed to their posts on the ends of the thrones and stood at attention in the usual emotionless stance. Hilt then remembered something important that was to be brought to Celestia’s attention. “Er… your highness?”
Celestia sat at her throne with a small grubby notebook under her wing still smiling. “Yes… Hilt is it?”

“Yes your highness. While you were away the bearer of the element of loyalty Ms. Rainbow Dash delivered a message and said that it would need your full attention as soon as possible.”

Celestia perked “What is the message? Relay it this instant.”

Hilt breathed in and then recited the message. “Princess we have major trouble! When we got back to Ponyville big D’s goons were waiting. We had to make a deal with them cause they poisoned Spike and it was the only way to get the antidote. We told em that we would release big D but I know you won’t let that happen! Get here soon Twilight is anxious but we have them contained.” Hilt finished the message and told Celestia “That is the whole message word for word your highness.”

Celestia’s smile widened and she turned a small locket in her hoof. “Thank you very much Hilt. both you and your partner are excused. If Captain Armor asks just tell him I let you off early.”

Hilt and Blade in unison replied “Yes your highness.” Saluted and left immediately.

Once both guards were gone Celestia opened the locket and said to both her sister and Discord. “We shall give them one more night of slumber and a final lunch. But when the sun rises over the sky” her smile stretched from one side of her face to another. “They will die.”