• Published 21st Mar 2012
  • 1,037 Views, 21 Comments

The Disarray Trilogy Part 1: Of Harmony and Chaos - Ink Blotch



Discord's legacy resurfaces to challenge Twilight Sparkle's and friends abilities and faith.

  • ...
1
 21
 1,037

Chapter 7: Trust

The Disarray Trilogy

Part one: Of Harmony and Chaos

Written by Walker “Ink Blotch” Holden

Chapter 7: Trust

On the way back to Ponyville Twilight Sparkle made it clear to her friends to keep an eye on the Disarray brothers. Both Applejack and Fluttershy had no objections to this but Pinkie had other thoughts.

“But Twilight they saved you. They really aren’t all that bad.”

Twilight had accepted Pinkies friendship to the brothers long before they’re conversation but still felt intimidated by it. “I'm just asking you to keep an eye on them so they don’t try to run away.”

“Fine but you are still over reacting and being really moody.”

Pinkie continued to walk ahead with others leaving Twilight in the back with her thoughts. “They did save me and get rid of the roc without anypony getting hurt. But they poisoned Spike! I can never forgive them. To boot I don’t even want to think what would have happened if they had smashed the roc’s eggs. It probably would have destroyed Ponyville in its rage! Those three are nothing but trouble…

“Bit for your thoughts Ms. Sparkle?”

Twilight jumped at the sudden intrusion of Monarch who had slipped away from his brothers both of which were still being swarmed by the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“What do you want?” Twilight asked angrily.

Monarch either did not notice or care about her cold shoulder and replied. “Just to talk. I don’t have much interest with the topic matter of those three children and I thought intelligent conversation would be more fruitful with you.”

Monarch gave an honest smile but Twilight in turn only glared at him but she decided to take advantage of this opportunity to pick at the unicorns mind a bit.

“Ok then I was just thinking about your hasty tactics against the roc. What if you had smashed her eggs? Do you really think that she would let you live much least Ponyville?”

Monarch calmly replied “We never really would have smashed the eggs. It was a bluff and she failed to call it. If she had me and Rage would be dead right now.” Monarch thought for half a second and then added “and I'm sure you would be dancing on our graves.”

Twilight flinched at this comment but refused to give up. Her goal was to in some way hurt Monarch for all the things he had done. “So you just lead your brother straight into danger not caring about his well being at all. Is that it?” She said with venom in her voice.

It was Monarch’s time to flinch and he made no attempt to hide it. “Rage gave me no choice. We had debated on it during our trip through Everfree. I had told him he was to stay put I would be fine on my own. But when I teleported he jumped on at the last second and came with me. I did not have enough time to take him back before the roc returned. Ms. Sparkle please do not ever suggest that I care not for my brothers ever again. They are the most important things in my life as Spike is in yours.”

Twilight was surprised that Monarch would indulge such a key weakness straight to her. She thought to use this against him to make him hurt as badly as possible. But she couldn’t. Here was Monarch indulging the inner workings of his mind straight to her as if they were good friends. Was he just passing the olive branch and asking truly for peace between the two of them? The image of Spike curled up in his bed once again protruded her mind and she resented Monarch once more.

“Really because it doesn't seem like you have been fighting for them that much. You have a fraction of Discord’s power and I haven't seen you cast a spell yet! When I got back from Canterlot you had the upper hoof and could have taken advantage of the situation and fought us off while we were off our guard. You couldn't have done that for your brothers?”

Monarch was silent. He kept a poker face but it was easy to see through.

Twilight moved onto the next top question. “How did you escape your cell?”

Monarch was still in shock but shook it off and regained his smile to answer. “Well we were sitting down in there when Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell came and explained what had happened. They asked us to help because they wanted as many ponies as possible to help Applebloom. They knew what we were and why we were down there but they did not care. Such is the innocence of a child. When they lead us upstairs Rarity was looking for them. I had my brace off so it was a simple task to tie Rarity and Spike up without being seen. I put the brace on Rarity and the girls lead the way to the forest. Once we were in we just followed your guy’s hoof prints to the plateau. We saw Applejack glide into a clearing and went to there where we found the three of them debating over what to do. We made ourselves known left the girls with them and went back to see if our assistance was needed. We saw the roc chasing you and your friend down the rocks and I saw opportunity. I had Silver fly up close to you to help if needed while Rage and I went to the top to deal with the roc. We got it to leave and returned to you and your friends to be brought back to Ponyville to be locked in a small cell with no bathroom or ventilation.”

Twilight reviewed Monarch’s tale in her mind looking for something to criticize but found nothing. Instead she continued to question him. “Ok then next question. Why if you’re the heroes you claim to be do you want to release Discord so badly so he can rule Equestria in chaos?”

Monarch hesitated. He then said eyes on the ground. “Ms. Sparkle do you want us to be evil?”

Twilight was confused by the question but Monarch continued any way. “What act of villainy have we committed to Equestria on a wide scale that hurted many ponies?” Twilight was still confused by what Monarch was saying. He continued “You see I had the special privilege of being conscious when Discord was finishing us. I was a little colt, Silver and Rage were still babies. I did not understand much but Discord had explained most of the process of our creation to me. He basically told me this ‘You and your brothers were designed to be solders. I have deprogrammed much of your violent tendencies but there is one thing I still need to do. I need to make sure you have freedom. All three of you as it is need an order when you grow up or else you will fall back on the key directive.’ What is it? I asked. ‘You are still too young and innocent to know I would like to preserve that part of you for now. All you need to know is that I will most likely not survive the next few hours. I have stalled Celestia’s henchponies but I can feel that they are regaining their numbers. My magic has been used up for today and the final spell takes up too much magic. It would have to be tomorrow.’ “But what do I do then?” I asked. ‘All you have to do is accept as commander of your unit this new mission.’ “Ok I said.” ‘Your mission should you choose to accept it, Find a way to release me if only for a few moments that way I can lift the spell. Now that is enough for tonight you have your mission and you are to brief your platoon when you see them again. But for now it's time to sleep.’ After that he snapped his fingers and I felt drowsy I fought it as much as I could but it took me just the same the last thing I saw was Discord with a tear half way down his face. What seemed like a second later I woke up with a full sized body and an educated mind. I knew so much in so little time. I soon found Rage and Silver nearby, I briefed them on what was to be done and they accepted without question. I was and am their commander It is instinct for them to generally follow my orders. This I hate. They have no freedom as long as the spell remains. So we came to Ponyville and we hid and bided our time to come up with a plan. Once we had one we put it to action immediately. Our plan A was to meet you and become friends and convince you to take us to Canterlot where we could free Discord without anypony realizing. This failed so I reluctantly fell back to plan B. Fear. And the rest is history. So what do you think?”

Twilight gaped at Monarch. She never thought she would get so much information from him. She also never thought that the brothers were doing all that they had done because they had to. She thought they had wanted to. “How do I know that you’re not lying?”

“The only way to know is to trust me. Twilight we never wanted to hurt anypony but we can’t fail our mission either. If we ignore it… If we ignore it we cease to exist. The spell that you stopped Discord from completing would have been destroyed and my brothers and I would have simply lead normal lives.” Monarch’s usually cool mood was melting before Twilights eyes. “Instead we live the life of criminals! Hiding from any other ponies, with no home or family. And it’s all because of YO-” Monarch caught himself from completely melting down and took a deep breath, paused for a moment and than said. “I-I'm sorry Ms. Sparkle… I sometimes forget that I'm not real. I lose myself and try to blame my problems on others. Thats not fair of me.”

Twilight was unsure what to say about this. “But you are real you are right here in front of me.”

“I know that I'm real but am I real? Am I another pony or am I a science experiment gone wrong to you?”

Twilight opened her mouth to reply but thought. All this time she had thought of and treated the brothers like they were monstrosities but had rarely thought if they had feelings.

Monarch seemed to have moved on before Twilight was done thinking. He now told her looking up ahead to her friends. “He does love her you know.”

“What?”

“Silver Lining it’s kind of obvious but he does love Pinkie Pie. Hopelessly in love I would say. He would do anything for her. Here is a simpler question; is he real?”

Twilight had had her suspicions about Silver Lining and found herself leaning more to the “real” opinion. “Well I can’t say…”

“You are not confident in your answer I can tell but consider what Pinkie thinks of him and what others feel for me and Rage and you will find that the majority believes us not to be real. All except Pinkie Pie, Cherilee and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Cherilee doesn't even know what we really are.”

Twilight began to feel sympathy towards Monarch. She thought of Spike curled up in his bed but only felt more for the unicorn beside her. He had only ever did those things for the welfare of his brothers. She probably would have done the same for her own brother. She not knowing what to do asked another question. “You said that Discord had made you to be solders. What does that mean?”

“It means that the original models for Discords experiments were meant to serve in King Concentus’s army against the at the time griffon threat. This is why Ms. Sparkle that my brothers and I have no freedom.”

“But why would Concentus want an army? The Equestrians and Griffons have been at peace since his rule he had no reason to have an army unless…”

“Unless it was an invading army.”

Twilight felt her world falling around her. She had always believed that the government of Equestria looked out for everypony’s well being griffon and pony alike. “Get a hold of yourself Twilight he said King Concentus had meant for the army to invade not Celestia.

There was an awkward silence between the two until Twilight asked Monarch just one more thing. “You don’t call Discord Lord Discord. Why?”

Monarch smirked and replied. “I'm a commander I get special treatment. More so then a lowly guard or assassin.”

Twilight wanted to ask which of his brothers was which but felt she had asked enough. She found herself still loathing Monarch but also respect and sympathy.

“Ms. Sparkle” Said Monarch “I am sorry for what we did to Spike. I know you will never forgive us I can feel it but I was desperate for anything to save my brothers. One day we will be free I can feel it and then we will be free to go wherever we want, free to love whoever we want and do whatever we want.”

The Unicorn’s orange eyes sparkled with hope as he gazed at the roses they passed. This was the feather that broke the camels back for Twilight. He was right she would never forgive him but that did not mean they couldn’t be friends. Friendship could come from the most unlikely places even your worst enemy but it is better to have a friend for a moment than an enemy for a lifetime. Twilight made a mental note to send a letter to Celestia when all this was over.

“Come on slow pokes! You will get left behind!” Scootaloo yelled back to them.

Twilight and Monarch sprinted to catch up with their friends. When they got there Pinkie and Silver were still talking with each other while Rage had given up and was now allowing the Cutie Mark Crusaders to use his body as a jungle gym while they told him what the Crusaders did on a regular basis and what his duties as the newest lackey would be.

Monarch finally taking mercy on his brother said aloud “Who wants to hear my cutie mark story?”

This got the crusaders attention and they happily trotted with Monarch as he began. “Well it all started when my brothers and I had to figure out a way to release Discord…”

Twilight left Monarch to it and trotted by Applejack whose wings were beginning to dim and had a few holes in them. “Ah tell yah Twilight” She whispered. “Once those three are behind bars again Ahl feel a heck of a lot better.”

Twilight bit her lip but nodded. How was she going to explain to her friends about her and Monarch being buddy buddy after all she had said?”

Silver Lining stopped mid sentence and stride. His ear twitched and he sniffed the air. Rage turned to him with a concerned face the first time Twilight had seen him with anything of the such. Monarch also stopped his story to the fillies and also turned to Silver.

Rage asked “What is it?”

Zecora said “I sense them as well, those hounds straight from hell.”

Twilight was confused. But a moment later she heard rustling in the trees and heard a familiar slimy voice. “Ponies, capture and trade for gems maybe? Oh but only a few the rest…eat.”

Twilights heart raced her eyes widened her legs not knowing what to do just shook until Monarch looked to her and whispered “Run.”

The next moment was pure anarchy. Twilight perceived the world in silent slow motion. She sprinted just in time before a diamond dog pounced from the tree above and landed on the ground behind her. At the same time more burst from the undergrowth and attempted the same with her friends. The crusaders grouped together screaming as one of the dogs ran towards them. But Rage was able to get underneath the dog in mid-jump and throw him into the tree. Rage then threw Scootaloo and Sweetie bell on his back and yelled something and Applejack came and did the same for Applebloom. Twilight finally recognized the dogs as the same ones from when Rarity had been kidnapped. They either did not recognize or didn’t care who they were. Things began to speed up for Twilight and sound returned to her.

“Scatter! They can’t chase us all!”

Twilight had no idea who yelled this but took their advice. She now was able to count three diamond dogs and there were seven of them. She prayed to Celestia that everypony would be ok. She ran into the trees she ran until her legs throbbed. When she thought she had made it to safety she breathed deeply. She looked around but did not recognize her surroundings. The sun was still in the sky lighting the forest but now the trees cast shadows. When she caught her breath she continued through the forest hopping that she would find somepony else. Her hopes and prayers were answered when Monarch rolled through a fern gasping for breath.

When he saw her he stood but collapsed again. Twilight examined his body. She found what appeared to be a bite wound on his hind leg. “You aren’t going to be running on this for awhile.” Said Twilight. “But can you walk?”

“I think I can.” Monarch pushed on his front legs and then his good hind leg and lifted his body upright and tried walking. He limped but he was mobile. The two followed the sun knowing it would lead them to Ponyville. They also watched the skies for Silver or Fluttershy but saw nothing but birds.

After wandering for awhile Monarch grunted “Don’t look now but I think one of them has found us.”

Twilight scanned the trees for the assailant but Monarch said “Act cool it doesn’t know we know its there.”

Twilight now felt eyes leering her but she couldn’t tell from where. She hastened her pace slightly but kept close to the crippled Monarch.

Then it happened. Without warning the dog made its appearance not from above but from below. A paw shot out from the ground and grabbed Twilight by the tail. She was pulled Flank first into a hole but stopped herself halfway by grabbing the sides of the hole. Then came the pain, it shot through her leg to her brain. It was eating her.

Twilight struggled to free herself and succeeded with help from Monarchs magic. Twilight and Diamond dog were both levitated in the air and onto the ground. Monarch’s horn continued to glow and let of a beam of pure heat which shot through the diamond dog’s neck. It let go of Twilight whimpered and fell over dead. Twilight looked down at her leg. It was oozing with blood and a bit of bone was showing. Patches of fur were missing and her cutie mark was unrecognizable from the blood splatter. It could all easily be fixed good as new with magic but only if she survived that long.

Neither had energy to speak so Monarch simply lifted Twilight up and had her rest on his shoulder. They were barely able to move and they both knew that the smell of fresh blood would attract much more ferocious carnivores. Twilight’s vision began to blur from both shock blood loss but she felt them all around her monsters hunting the two unicorns. Monarch picked up the pace but was still limping from his bite. Twilight’s vision blurred even more and her eyelids became heavy. Monarch fell. This was when she heard the monsters swarm around the both of them. The last thing she remembered was an explosion of colors.