• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 1,102 Views, 54 Comments

After Midnight - Nebula Star



After centuries of chaos, Equestria finally has a chance to recover only for a small dragoness to bring dire news: The world itself is dying.

  • ...
3
 54
 1,102

Chapter 2: Emergence

After Midnight
By Nebula Star

Part 1: The Darkest Night
***
Chapter 2: Emergence
***

The halls of the palace were dimly lit, the vaulted ceiling lost in the darkness above. There were no windows. This wasn't the original Canterlot palace, it had been destroyed in the battle between Discord, Nightmare Moon and Midnight Star. No, this was a palace Midnight Star had forced the unicorns of Canterlot to build for her in the months following her rise to power. There was nothing welcoming about this palace.

Even the pony guiding Chrysalis seemed tense, repeatedly looking over his shoulder at her then turning away when he saw that she was watching him. But then it wasn't every day one met the changeling queen.

Torches lit the hall every few dozen paces, and were the only source of light. Under each torch was a trophy of some kind. Chrysalis of course recognized the crown of Nightmare Moon and the scepter of Discord, but the rest bore little significance to her. She glanced back at the crown and sighed heavily, wondering once again what could have happened to Luna to drive her to oppose her sister. They had been so close when she had last seen them together; but that had been over a millenia ago in another land, long before they'd come to rule Equestria.

Turning ahead again she tried to put it out of her mind. The grand doors to the throne room weren't much further and she needed to focus on what she was here for.

She couldn't help but look at the last trophy though under the torch just before the doors. It was a black crystal, far larger than she was. It was transparent, she saw as she approached, and there seemed to be something inside. When she reached the crystal and its contents became visible her eyes widened. There was a unicorn in the crystal, with a dark gray coat and black mane he was wearing ornate armor. Armor fit for a king. He was frozen in the crystal, his face contorted in an eternal scream of agony.

“Sombra...” Chrysalis gasped.

“Yes, King Sombra.” Her pony guide confirmed with a nod. “Ruled over the Crystal Empire when it returned a few months back. Apparently he wanted our Empress to be his submissive wife. She didn't like that.”

Chrysalis could only stare at the once powerful unicorn. The cause of his agony at the moment of his death was easily apparent when one noticed that all four of his legs were a few inches separated from his body. Perhaps coming here was a mistake.

“You are certain you still wish to see the Empress?” The pony asked.

Chrysalis took a deep breath and looked away from the crystal before nodding.

“Wait here then, I will announce you,” he said then quietly entered the throne room. It was a few minutes before he finally emerged again, his face pale.

“Whatever you do, do not speak until spoken to!” He warned then headed back down the hall.

“Where are you going?” Chrysalis asked.

“I annoyed her... she ordered me to jump off the falls,” he told her.

Her eyes widened. “You're not actually going to...?”

He grimaced. “It's better than disobeying,” he said simply, then turned and continued down the hall, leaving Chrysalis alone. For a moment she considered just leaving; but then the thought of her hive, her children, slowly starving and dying one by one. It reminded her of just how desperate she was. Even she was nearing starvation. Bracing herself, she entered the throne room.

~~~

A few moments after her slave had left, Midnight heard another set of hoof-steps entered the throne room. These, however were accompanied by an unusual magical aura, the likes of which she had never felt before. It wasn't very strong, and so no threat to her. She remained silent waiting to see if this visitor was as foolish as her slave. They stopped near the base of the platform her throne rested upon though and waited. For several minutes Midnight let the silence drag on, just gazing out the window and giving no indication that she even knew the visitor was there.

Finally she decided she'd waited long enough. “You are either wise, or my slaves warned you not to speak until spoken to. I'm inclined to believe the latter.” She said, then stood from her throne stepping around it to face her visitor. When she did see her however, she raised an eyebrow in surprise. “What pit of Tartarus did you crawl out of?”

It wasn't a pony standing at the foot of her throne as she had assumed. Her hide was black and leathery. In some places it looked almost like an insect carapace. Her mane and tail were a sickly looking blue and ragged. She had both a horn and wings like an alicorn, but her wings were transparent and like an insect's; and her horn was bent and twisted. She was thin and appeared underfed. Her entire body in fact, had a generally unhealthy appearance. Even her hooves looked like they were rotting away with holes that appeared as if something had eaten all the way through them.

Her insult was not lost on the visitor. With some difficulty it seemed, she managed to maintain her composure. “Empress Midnight Star,” she started with obviously forced respect. “I am Queen Chrysalis of the changelings...”

Midnight snorted, cutting her off. “You dare to name yourself a Queen in my presence?” She stepped closer letting her magic fill the air threateningly. Being on a raised platform gave her the advantage of height despite Chrysalis being twice her size. “This world is mine and every living thing in it is under my rule. You are my subject and nothing more.”

The changeling shrank back; even the least attuned magic wielder would be able to feel the amount of magic Midnight was giving off. “Forgive me.” She begged, bowing deeply.

Midnight just sneered at her cowardice. “What do you want?” She demanded, just wanting to be rid of the wretched creature.

“I; I...” she stammered, thrown off by Midnight's rapid shifts in demeanor. She took a deep breath seeming to brace herself. “I came to ask if you would let the ponies of Equestria be for a time, your majesty.” She stumbled over the last as she clearly was not use to speaking to another as her superior.

“What?” Midnight growled as if she couldn't believe what she'd heard.

“Please, give them a chance, they've suffered for so long. They've all but forgotten how to love,” Chrysalis begged.

“And why do you even care?”

She was taken back. “Well, because we changelings, we feed off of love, but there hasn't been enough these past few years. We can eat normal foods when necessary, as a supplement, but we still need to feed off of love to survive... we're starving.” She lowered her eyes looking pitiful. It was too bad Midnight was incapable of pity.

Midnight burst out laughing, taking twisted amusement in the changeling's plight. “Oh, I'm so sorry!” She exclaimed mockingly, still laughing. “Did I kill your food?”

Chrysalis looked up at her in disbelief, but Midnight just continued to laugh. “I'm just asking you to let them be; you don't have to do anything,” she pleaded.

“Why should I stop my fun?” Midnight asked as if what she was requesting were completely unreasonable.

“Please, the changelings, they're my family... my children,” she said as if revealing a great secret. “They're starving, many have died already... They're my children, I'll do anything,” she begged, tears coming to her eyes.

Midnight just grinned wickedly down at her. “Why should I care if all your wretched kind starve and die?” She snorted a laugh. “I say good riddance!”

Chrysalis stared up at her trembling with the rage of a mother that would do anything to save her children. She couldn't hold it back. With a cry she leaped into the air and her horn glowed brightly as she cast her most powerful spell.

Midnight looked up at her with contempt as her own horn glowed; a fraction of her power was more than enough to block the changeling's magic. Then she cast a counter-attack that hit Chrysalis with enough force to throw her across the throne room, slam into the wall and then fall to the floor. She laid there gasping for a moment as Midnight slowly crossed the throne room toward her; amused by her foolishness.

As she approached, the changeling's gasping breaths changed to sobs. She was crying, but that only satisfied Midnight further. She heard Midnight's steps approaching and looked up at her, tears falling from her eyes. She wasn't afraid for herself, but for her children; they'd suffered so much already, she feared for their future. “How can you be so cruel?” She whispered, knowing Midnight wasn't going to kill her, she knew Midnight wanted her to suffer.

“The world is cruel, Chrysalis,” Midnight said coldly, standing over her. “All good things end. It is time you accepted that truth,” she turned her back on the changeling then and returned to her throne. “Now get out, and if I ever see your wretched hide again, I will make you watch as I disembowel every one of your remaining offspring.”

She heard the changeling get to her hooves and then slow, uneven steps as she limped toward the door; but then she stopped in the doorway and looked back over her shoulder. “You're a monster,” she said softly, and then she was gone.

~~~

“I did tell you that going to that monster was a mistake.”

Chrysalis gave her eldest living daughter a sad smile. “I know, Sallis.”

A typical changeling, the only thing that really set Sallis apart was a scar that ran from her right shoulder to halfway across her chest. Evidence of a nearly fatal wound she'd received when she was only five years old. Nearly four millenia ago now.

The few legends that remained about changelings were wildly exaggerated and more often than not, just plain wrong. Some even claimed that changelings were hatched from eggs. This was probably due to their insect like appearance, but it still annoyed Chrysalis. She'd given birth to every one of her children. Not many ponies knew that all changelings, not just their queens, were immortal. Neither did many know that all the changelings of a hive were the children of the hive's queen.

Chrysalis's family was large, or had been. They had once numbered nearly two thousand, now they had been reduced to only a little over half that. Every child lost pained her, and it was becoming far too frequent as of late.

“I suppose I should have listened to the rumors that Midnight Star was insane. I should have known she wouldn't listen to reason.” Chrysalis sighed heavily.

“Well you got out alive, and at least you managed to lose your crown...”

Chrysalis raised a brow at that. “You never did like that thing.”

“It looked ridiculous! If you want a new one, lets at least make it look regal!”

Chrysalis shook her head. “No, I don't need a crown,” she said and smiled. “Why would I, my body alone sets me apart from other changelings.”

Sallis smiled. “So what do we do now?”

Chrysalis didn't answer at first, she'd been thinking about it the entire way back from Canterlot. There really was only one option left to them. They didn't have the strength left to try and move the hive beyond Midnight Star's influence, and there was no guarantee that even if they did, they would find a suitable land to settle in. They had to try and make due with what was left of Equestria.

“We have to do what we can to help the ponies ourselves.”

“What!?” Sallis exclaimed her eyes widening. “Mother, are you sure about this?”

Chrysalis nodded solemnly. “It is our only choice. We have to try and live in peace among them.”

“But we've tried that before,” Sallis objected, grimacing at the memories as her right foreleg twitched involuntarily. “Every time, the ponies eventually turned on us and drove us out!”

“I know, Sallis. But we really have no choice,” Chrysalis told her.

“Why don't we just capture a bunch of the ponies and put them in dream pods?” Sallis grumbled.

Chrysalis understood Sallis's view of course. It was the fist time they'd been driven out that Sallis had lost both her older sisters and gained her scar. “We have to think ahead. You know the dream pods have never been very efficient. We'd have to capture most of the ponies remaining in Equestria in order to sustain the hive.” She shook her head. “Those that remained wouldn't last long, and then what would happen when those we put in pods began dying off? We'd be worse off than we are now.”

“But... coming out in the open?”

“It's our only choice. There's a well established colony not far from here that has been untouched by Midnight Star. Perhaps she does not know of it, or perhaps she leaves it alone for other reasons, but I think it's our best option.”

Sallis sighed heavily. “Chrysalis, you are my mother and my queen. I will of course do as you command. I just hope this isn't a mistake... that the ponies actually accept us this time.”

Chrysalis nodded. “I hope so as well,” she agreed. “Call the hive together. The sooner we act, the better off we'll be."

~~~

“The light blasted crystals are interfering with each other!” Reshkirana growled in frustration after nearly an hour trying to get any kind of direction from the Elements.

Well, then we'll just keep going the way we've been going.” Destiny offered with a smile while she stirred a mixed vegetable soup she was cooking over a small camp fire. “You said we have years to find them, Kira.”

The dragoness flinched slightly at the nickname. She'd tried to stop Destiny from using it at first, but she'd long since given up on it now. “We do, but the sooner we find them, the better it will be. And at this rate, we won't find them in time! It's been over a year already!”

“You'll find them, Kira. So stop worrying,” she said gently.

Reshkirana huffed loudly and replaced the Elements in her bags that were set down next to her at the moment. Then she gazed into the fire trying to think. They'd been traveling together for almost eighteen months and so far they hadn't found a single bearer. It was early spring, or should have been, if the seasons hadn't been thrown so off track by Discord's rule. At least with his defeat, the sun and moon had settled into a normal day and night cycle.

She glanced up at the moon that was hanging over them, wondering, not for the first time, who was controlling the celestial spheres. Was it Midnight Star? Or perhaps someone else? She'd tried once herself to move the sun, but she had quickly learned that she lacked the power to do so. This had surprised her, since she knew for a fact that her magic was far stronger than the average Unicorn's, and yet it was said that in ancient times, before the appearance of the celestial sisters, it had been Unicorns that had move the sun and the moon.

It didn't really matter who was doing it, she decided finally, so long as it continued. But while the day and night cycle had been put back on track, the seasons were still unstable to say the least.

For most of the year and a half they'd been traveling together, she and Destiny had explored the southern lands to the east, trying to get some direction from the Elements to no avail. Now they were once again crossing the Zebra lands heading west. It made Reshkirana's blood boil when she thought of how much time they'd spent roaming the lands to the east only for her to realize that the further east they went, the weaker the resonance from the elements had become.

“Isn't Equestria north of the Badlands?” Destiny asked as she carefully move the stone pot she was using for her soup away from the fire using her hooves wrapped in a couple layers of cloth. Among other things, they'd both acquired a couple sets of cloths for colder weather. Destiny had her own set of saddle bags now that she carried her things in. The pot however, Reshkirana had made using magic when they'd set up camp.

Reshkirana nodded. “And north of Equestria is the frozen north where the Crystal Empire is suppose to be located, if it really has returned.”

“Do you think the ones we're looking for could be in Equestria?”

She nodded. “Possibly. But we're going to have to go there eventually anyway, so I want to find any that aren't in Equestria first.”

“What about that land south of the desert?”

“You mean Saddle Arabia?”

“Yeah, could one of them be there?” Destiny asked clearly trying to be helpful.

Reshkirana shook her head. “No, Saddle Arabia has been abandoned for almost six centuries. The land wasn't very habitable to begin with, then when Discord took control...” She trailed off shaking her head.

“Well, wherever they are, we'll find them, I know we will,” she said with a confident smile as she sat down to her meal.

Reshkirana grunted, annoyed by her optimism. She was far too experienced to believe things would just work out. Her spell to sense the resonance was becoming just another failure in a very long line of failures. Spells of her own design never seemed to work how she intended them to. Ever since the first...

She clenched her teeth and shifted her feathered wings uncomfortably as she thought of that particular failure, the one that had changed her life forever.

“You okay?” Destiny asked softly sounding concerned.

Reshkirana stirred from her thoughts to look up at the young nocturne. Then she got to her feet. “I need to hunt,” she said simply.

“Oh...” Destiny responded softly. After a year and a half traveling together she knew well what Reshkirana meant. She knew what her friend had to eat to survive. “I'll watch your things."

Without another word Reshkirana strode off into the darkness to satisfy her hunger, and brood over the past.

~~~

Surprise frowned as she trotted down the main road of the Brookstone colony. The largest and safest colony in the forest. With nearly eight hundred residents it was more than ten times the size of the colony she'd grown up in. But that was the problem. The sheer size of the colony meant that she was never able to get enough supplies for her parties! And the council had asked her to throw another party to welcome the newest additions to the colony as well as to help raise moral.

The thing was, the colony was growing too quickly, very soon they would outgrow their food supply. With a sigh she tried to remember when new faces had always made her happy. Now every new face was making her worry that there wouldn't be enough food for her and the twins.

“Surprise, where are we going?” Raindrop whined sounding tired of walking.

Surprise instantly put a smile back on her face. “I just need to pick up a few more things for the welcome-to-the-colony party tonight,” she said cheerfully. “Then we can go decorate!”

Raindrop smiled then, she enjoyed decorating for parties. Dewdrop on the other hoof just continued walking staring at the ground in front of her. Surprise had brought them to the colony almost a year before. They'd lived in another small colony for a time, but when She'd heard rumors that the Brookstone colony was the safest colony around and that it was the only large colony that had never been attacked by Midnight Star, Surprise had decided that it was the best place for the twins.

She glanced at the two fillies walking beside her. Raindrop was doing as well as could be expected considering their loss. She still cried often and clung closely to Surprise most of the time, but there had been times that she'd seemed happy and had even laughed and smiled. It was her sister that worried Surprise.

Dewdrop hardly talked; and when she did, what she said was often cold and unfeeling. She rarely played with other fillies, even her sister, and would often sit off on her own. Surprise had to watch her carefully or she was likely to wander off. She didn't act out or misbehave really, nor did she object when asked to do something. But when she did, it was mechanical; she would do what was asked of her then go back to her silent brooding.

Surprise didn't know what to do for her, other than to take care of her. Any affection toward her was met with a stony look and promptly ignored. Surprise was certain the filly was keeping all her emotions bottled up inside, she just didn't know how to get her to let them out so that the healing process could begin.

They colony's market place was impressive considering the lack of any real farms, but Surprise wasn't there for food. She'd already made all those arrangements for the party a few days ago when she'd first been asked to organize it. No, she was just passing through on her way to get something else, something new that she hadn't ever had for her parties before.

As large as it was, not everypony in the colony had to concern themselves with just finding their next meal, and so many had set about reviving old crafts and professions that had been all but forgotten in harder times. They had a blacksmith shop, a paper mill, woodworkers, there was even an area set up with large brick kilns used for pottery and glassblowing. One of the best professions, in Surprise's opinion, that was being revived in the colony was the crafting and playing of musical instruments which had been made possible thanks to a few ponies talented in such things that had escaped from Canterlot.

She'd asked one of those talented individuals, a unicorn named Wood Wind, to make a few dozen simple toy horns for her parties and he had gladly agreed. Now she was on her way to pick them up.

Surprise smiled. They'd be a great addition to her party bag that she was currently carrying on her back. Everypony in the colony knew what that bag meant by now and she saw several smiles as ponies were reminded of the party planned that night. There was still a lot of preparations to be made and once they were done with their errands, she and the twins would be heading to the main square to set up the decorations.

Wood Wind's home and workshop wasn't far from the west gate of the colony. Which was on the far side from the small home Surprise had acquired. There really wasn't anything special about the house, but he had converted half the building into a workshop for making primarily wood instruments. Doing so had made his living area very cramped, but it was a sacrifice he was willing to make for the sake of music.

Having finally arrived, Surprise checked to make sure she still had both the twins in tow then knocked on the door. It wasn't long before Wood Wind answered.

“Ah! Surprise. Here for the party horns I assume?”

“Yesserroonie!” Surprise said cheerfully.

“And Dewdrop and Raindrop; how are you two today?” He asked smiling down at the fillies.

“We're good,” Raindrop answered for both of them while Dewdrop just continued staring at the floor.

“That's good to hear,” Wood Wind said knowing all too well that he probably wouldn't get a response from Dewdrop. “Well let me go get your order.”

Surprise nodded and waited at the door while Wood Wind went back into his workshop, emerging a few moments later with a medium sized box. “Here you are, thirty party horns. They're rather easy to make so if you ever need more or replacements all you have to do is ask,” He said levitating the box to her. Surprise took it gratefully and carefully placed it in her party bag.

“Thanks, Windy. These will be great for the party tonight.”

He smiled. “I'm looking forward to it. Be sure and say hi to Sonata for me,” he said but then looked past Surprise. “Something happening at the gate?”

Surprise looked over her shoulder down the road toward the west gate to see what he meant and saw a crowd gathering there; many trying to see while several members of the volunteer guard galloped through. Even at the distance they were at, they could tell the crowd seemed tense.

“I don't know,” Surprise said softly. “I'll go see what's going on. Come on, girls.”

As they approached Surprise could tell the crowd's focus was on something outside the gate. Most were trying to see, and many were climbing up to the ramparts to watch whatever was going on. Near the back of the crowd was one pony Surprise was very familiar with. None other than Sonata, her current house guest.

Having only escaped from Canterlot recently, the earth pony musician had come to the colony with little more than a cello and violin. Having spent a few months boarding with another family herself, Surprise had decided to pass on the favor and give Sonata a place to stay. They'd had a spare bedroom after all. After nearly four months though, she wasn't really looking to move out and really Surprise didn't want her to either.

“Hey Nata!”

Sonata looked over her shoulder and rolled her eyes, though she did smile. “Sonata,” She corrected for perhaps the thousandth time since she'd moved in with them. She knew it wasn't going to make a difference, correcting Surprise, but she did it anyway. It had become a kind of inside joke between them.

“What's going on at the gate?”

She frowned. “I'm not entirely certain; but it sounds like there's some creatures gathered outside the gate and the guard is not sure if they are hostile or not.”

Surprise looked toward the gate. She couldn't see through the crowd, but being a Pegasus did have its advantages. Already a large number of Pegasi were hovering over the walls and gate. “Hmm, Lemme go check it out,” she said and was about to set down her party bag when she felt small fore hooves wrap around her leg. She looked down to see Raindrop clinging to her.

“Don't leave us, Surprise!”

Surprise smiled down at her reassuringly. “Don't worry, Raindrop. It will only take a moment and you've got Nata right here.”

“Sonata.”

Raindrop wasn't about to let go however. Finally Surprise sighed in defeat. “How about we all go up on the wall, then I'll never be out of sight. That sound good?”

Raindrop looked up, her eyes shimmering, and gave a small nod.

“Alright, Dewdrop, stay close.”

Dewdrop looked up at her a moment then obediently followed as Surprise and Sonata headed further along the wall to where there weren't so many crowded on the ramparts and climbed the stairs up to the top to see what was going on.

They spotted the 'creatures' Sonata had heard about immediately. There were several dozen of them lined up facing the gate in strait organized rows. That alone showed that they were intelligent beings. The fact that they looked almost like ponies simply reinforced the idea.

Their appearance however was unnerving. Almost completely a dark gray, nearly black; their hides seemed to be naturally armored, with what appeared to be hard shells covering much of their bodies. All of them had deadly looking slightly-curved horns and gossamer wings. Their most striking feature however was their eyes. Glowing a uniform blue, they bore no pupils or irises.

In front of the rest was what had to be their leader along with what appeared to be four guards. Nearly twice the height of the average pony, the leader's horn was long and jagged. Unlike the rest she had actual hair for a mane, grayish blue in color with a greenish shine. Also unlike the rest, her eyes had irises and pupils; though her pupils were slits like a dragon's.

As they watched, the leader's group approached the gate, stopping about halfway so as not to seem hostile. None of the Colony guard dared approach them however, and it seemed none of the colonial council were willing to either.

Surprise frowned. They were strange looking, but it seemed to her that these visitors only wished to talk and meant them no harm. If nopony else was going to step forward, she would.

“Dewdrop, Raindrop, stay here. I'm going to go talk to them.”

“But, they look scary!” Raindrop whimpered, clinging to Surprise.

Surprise smiled understandingly. “I know, but that doesn't mean they are. You can't judge anypony by their appearance, Raindrop. It looks to me like they just want to talk, so I'm going to talk to them. Now stay here with Sonata, and don't worry, you'll be able to see me the whole time.

Reluctantly she nodded and released Surprise's leg. Surprise then set down her party bag and took off to greet the visitors.

~~~

Chrysalis frowned. The ponies' reaction to their appearance had been almost exactly as she'd expected, but that didn't mean she liked it. Slowly she approached the row of what appeared to be the colony's guards with Sallis and three of her guard by her side. The ponies seemed to tense as they drew near, but Chrysalis halted halfway trying to show that they weren't hostile. Still none of the ponies dared approach.

She sighed heavily thinking of how many times she'd seen such a reaction over the years. Well she was patient and could wait as long as it took for one of them to work up the courage to come and talk.

“Hello!”

Chrysalis almost jumped back as a white pegasus with an extremely curly golden mane seemed to just appear right in front of her. For a moment she just stared at the pegasus stunned as she hovered right in front of her. She didn't seem nervous at all, in fact she was smiling so cheerfully that Chrysalis felt herself beginning to smile as well.

“Uh, hello.”

The Pegasus smiled and dropped down to the ground in front of her. “Everypony else was being a bunch of scaredy cats, but it looked to me like you just wanted to talk, so I thought that I'd come talk to you since that's what you wanted and I always like meeting new ponies but you're not a pony at all are you. That's okay though, I'm still happy to meet you.”

Chrysalis blinked. “Yes, we did come to talk. My name is Queen Chrysalis and these are my subjects. We are changelings.”

“Ooohhh, changelings,” she said as if that explained everything.

Chrysalis raised a brow curiously. “Have you heard of us before?”

“Nope.”

Unable to stop herself, Chrysalis laughed softly then shook her head. “Well we have lived in secret for a very long time, it is not surprising that you would not have heard of us. Very few ponies alive know we ever existed at all,” she said smiling down at her. “What is your name, pegasus?”

A huge grin spread across her face. “Surprise!” She exclaimed jumping up into the air, flaring her wings and throwing her fore hooves high over her head.

Chrysalis recoiled slightly, startled. “What was that?”

She grinned sheepishly. “Sorry, I just like doing that.”

“Why did you though?”

“Because that's my name: Surprise.” She replied with a grin.

Chrysalis stared at her a moment more then finally laughed again softly. “I see. I'm pleased to meet you, Surprise.”

“Me too. So what are you 'lings doing here?”

“We've come to offer you all our aid, to help you ponies in any way we can. We want to make this world a better place,” Chrysalis told her sincerely.

“Really!? You want to help!?” Surprise asked with a huge smile.

Chrysalis nodded.

“Hey everypony! They're here to help, so let's make them welcome!” Surprise shouted back to the rest of the ponies watching with amazing volume. To Chrysalis's surprise, the tension that seemed to be hanging over the ponies immediately dissipated. Just who was this Surprise in the colony?

“Oh and your timing couldn't be more perfect! We're having a welcome-to-the-colony party tonight and you can come as guests of honor!” Surprise exclaimed then there was a flurry of movement during which Chrysalis only caught glimpses of a white and yellow blur. Before she knew it she found a small toy horn in her mouth and a brightly colored cone shaped hat on her head.

Bewildered she glanced around and saw the rest of her guard now all had either hats or party horns. She looked down at Sallis who looked up at her with a horn in her mouth as well and an equally bewildered expression. Then Sallis did the only thing that seemed appropriate at that moment. She blew the horn.

Author's Note:

So those that have read my other stories will have recognized the confrontation between Chrysalis and Midnight Star. Being connected I will be using the same head-canon for changelings in both stories.

Also, you may have noticed by now that aside from Chrysalis, Sombra, Celestia and Luna, no canon characters have appeared or been mentioned. This is because only characters that date back to before the timeline of this world diverged from the canon timeline will remain the same. There are however alternate versions of canon characters that will appear throughout the story. Surprise is probably the most obvious being this world's version of Pinkie Pie. Midnight Star is also an alternate of course. With that in mind, three guesses who Sonata is an alternate of. ;)