• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 1,765 Views, 21 Comments

Trixie the Griffon and the Great and Powerful Gilda - Smileyface1010



When a magic spell goes wrong, Trixie and Gilda switch bodies and have to work together to get back to normal.

  • ...
2
 21
 1,765

Paying a Visit to Ponyville

Trixie stood at the train station in Baltimare, carrying bags packed with everything she owned.

After she recovered from the side effects of the Alicorn Amulet, her career as a traveling performer was comepetely ruined. So the unicorn decided to return to her hometown of Baltimare until she could get her life back together. It was only a few months before her parents kicked her out of the house... again. With nowhere else to go, the mare packed all of her things and went to the train station, where she stood now. She had no idea where she was going, only hoping to get a job and make a few bits so she could find a permanent place to stay.

A loud hiss was heard in the distance as the colorful train came into view. The hiss was followed by a painful sounding screech as the train came to a stop in front of the station. Trixie and a few other ponies climbed aboard. Trixie found a secluded seat near the back of the train, pulled out her copy of Star Swirl the Bearded's Encyclopedia of Advanced Spells for Advanced Unicorns: Vol. 3, and began reading. She figured if she could learn more advanced spells, she could get her performing business up and running again. But until then, she needed to find a temporary job.

Out of the corner of her eye, Trixie saw the last few ponies board the train. Before closing the door, the conductor yelled, "All aboard to Ponyville!"

Huh, I guess I'm going to Ponyville, Trixie thought, still caught up in her book. That'll give the Great and Powerful Trixie a fresh start.

"Wait, what?"

Trixie looked out the window to see the conductor pony walk inside the train and closed the door. The same hiss was heard as she felt the train slowly starting to move.

"P-Ponyville?" said Trixie, remembering the place where her career was originally destroyed. "But... Trixie can't go there!" She jumped up and started running towards the door. But it was too late. The train had already pulled out of the station and was on its way.

A few ponies in the seats around her gave Trixie strange looks for jumping up and running towards the door. Reluctantly, she walked back to her seat (and tripped on the way there). Dark memories of the Ursa Major, Twilight Sparkle defeating it, and the other ponies laughing at her came to her mind. She couldn't go back to that place. Trixie tried reading to get it off of her mind, but it didn't help much.

*****

Gilda works as an employee at the Mail Center of Equestria, or the MCE. Her job is the same as many others, to fly the incoming mail to other parts of Equestria. It is located in the Griffon Kingdom, so almost all of the workers are griffons like her. Some say this is because griffons have much better endurance than pegasi.

Gilda was never satisfied with her job, though. Although she gets a good paycheck, it was never what she had hoped to be. She had always wanted to become a racer, like many of her friends. Heck, some of them were going to the Equestria Games! Even though the griffon was fast, she just wasn't fast enough to join the griffon team in the Games.

But she couldn't think about that right now. Following her daily routine, Gilda walked into the MCE building and signed in. She then followed the crowd of several other griffons to the bulletin board. This was where each of the workers found which load of mail to take and where to take it to. Gilda found her name fairly quick.

GILDA : MAIL BAG #641 : 12 LETTERS, 5 PACKAGES : PONYVILLE

The griffon didn't give it much thought. She left the bulletin board and started walking over to the mail bag area. Gabe, one of her friends, caught up with her.

"Hey, Gilda, wait up!" he said, trying to catch up. When they were finally walking side by side, he said, "So, where you going today?"

"Ponyville," said Gilda, trying her best to be cool. "You know, that little dumb town at the bottom of Canterlot Mountain. Haven't been assigned there in a while, though."

"Ponyville? Isn't that where your old friend Rainbow Dash lives?"

"Oh yeah," said Gilda slowly, realizing this. "Rainbow Dash, that dweeb who abandoned me last time I visited her..." She never really thought about Dash all that much. She was like most of her old friends, gotten successful at racing and left her behind. Although none of her old friends told her off like she did.

Gilda was lost in thought for the rest of the walk to the mailbag area. Gabe eventually left to go to the Trottingham section where he was assigned to go. Gilda made her way to the Ponyville section, where several mailbags were lined up, each with a different number. Gilda found number 641 and double checked that it had 12 letters and 5 packages (and chuckled when she found that one of them was a love letter). After that, she went to the landing deck, checked in with the supervisor griffon that she was ready to go, and took off with Rainbow Dash still on her mind.

*****

The train ride seemed quicker then it should have been. Trixie tried to stay as calm as possible as she gathered her things and followed the other ponies out of the train.

Trixie looked around. Everything seemed the same. Town hall, Town Square, and all of the houses and businesses that surrounded it. More dark memories appeared in Trixie's mind as she slowly stepped off of the train platform. She was about to walk into town when she realized something.

Maybe I can just wait here at the station until the next train comes! Then no pony will see Trixie, or worse, remember her...

Trixie immediately turned around and ran over to the train schedule.

"And the next train will be here in.... six hours! Trixie can't wait here for six hours!"

Well that option's out, she thought. Trixie stood there for a few minutes, deciding what to do now. She was actually considering staying there for six hours, but her stomach told her otherwise. She was starving.

"Hm... Trixie will go into town and get lunch. She will need to get it as quickly as possible so no pony notices her. Then she will come back to the train station and wait for the next train. There! Trixie has a plan!" She trotted off into town, eager to get food, but praying that no pony would notice her.

Town Square was just as Trixie remembered it. A large, open area with many carts selling various things from flowers to hay chips. It was lunch hour, so everypony was out buying things from the carts. Trixie was worried about this, but everypony seemed to be busy doing their own business.

Trixie looked around at the different food carts and decided to get something from the fruit stand. She started trotting over there when she saw a familiar pony out of the corner of her eye. Freaking out, she jumped into a nearby bush.

"Twilight Sparkle," muttered Trixie under her breath.

*****

With her mind still on Rainbow Dash, Gilda flew slower than usual. She remembered all the fun times she had with her old best friend. Playing together, racing each other, laughing together...

Eventually, Gilda did reach Ponyville. She came in for a landing outside the post office and walked inside. She slowly made her way over to the desk to turn in the mail. In a daze from her thoughts and not paying attention, Gilda walked straight into another pony, making her drop the mailbag and sending letters everywhere.

Gilda suddenly snapped back to attention. "Hey! Watch where you're going, dork!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry." said the pony. It was a gray mare with a yellow mane. Gilda was about to yell at her some more, but she hesitated when she noticed how out of line the mare's eyes were. "Here, I'll help you." The mare proceeded with picking up the letters that fell under tables and chairs, knocking them over in the process. She didn't seem to notice, though. Some other ponies were giving the mare some angry looks, so Gilda pretended not to notice either. Then she put the fallen letters into the bag.

"Oh, this is bag number 641! I need to deliver this mail across Ponyville! When I got here, the pony at the desk said the mail bag was running late, but here it is! Thank you!" The mare trotted off, muttering something about muffins.

"Um, you're welcome?" Gilda was still amazed with that mare's eyes. Even though she mentioned that the mail was late, Gilda didn't care. She would face the consequences later.

The griffon left the post office building and was about to take off again when she suddenly smelled something. Whatever it was, it smelled delicious. She turned around to see the Town Square, filled with carts selling things, including the food she was smelling. It looked surprisingly familiar, and she remembered the last time she was here, with Raingbow Dash...

Gotta stop thinking about Dash, she thought. Never really had breakfast this morning. I guess I'll get some grub and then go back to the Griffon Kingdom. I just hope she doesn't see me here. Gilda saw a fruit stand and started walking towards it.

*****

Trixie stared at the purple unicorn in disgust. She was talking to some orange pony at an apple cart.

Twilight Sparkle. You always have to ruin everything for me! You're probably the reason Trixie got on the Ponyville train in the first place! You just have to be better at everything don't you- what the hay?

Trixie had noticed the wings properly folded on Twilight's back.

An alicorn? But how? Then she remembered. Oh right. The coronation. It was all over Equestria Daily. So you're a princess now, aren't you Little Miss Perfect Sparkle?

Trixie fumed with jealousy. She got so mad she started going through a list in her head of spells that would cause her pain. She reached behind her for her book of advanced spells, only to realize it wasn't there... she had left all of her stuff at the station. After doing a face hoof, she kept going through a list of complicated spells she had learned.

"I would give anything to switch lives with you- Wait that's it! Trixie has a plan!" Trixie remembered a spell that she read about on the train that let her switch bodies with someone else. It looked really complicated, but she thought she could to it. "Now how exactly did it go..."

Trixie stuck her head out of the bush, her eyes fixed on Twilight's plot that was facing her. She closed her eyes to concentrate and feel the magic energy travel through her body. She didn't notice the griffon that was about to walk in between Trixie and her target.

This is a lot more complicated than I thought.

Finally, the magic told her it was ready, and Trixie shot a beam out of her horn in Twilight's direction. There was a bright flash and everything went black.

*****

Gilda and Trixie both woke up at the exact same time.

I was walking to the fruit stand, and I thought I heard something behind me, so I stopped to look over my shoulder and- It was all Gilda could remember. She stood up to realize she was standing in a bush. For some reason, that didn't surprise her. She was more focused on the fact that she didn't quite... feel right. She felt something heavier than usual on her forehead, and she didn't feel anything on her back where her wings should be.

She started to look at herself. Her claws were now hooves, and her body was pale blue. A symbol with a wand on top of a crescent moon appeared on her flank. The feathers on her head were now hair.

What the buck?

*****

Trixie stood up and looked around. She was standing in between the bush she was hiding in and the apple cart. A few ponies were staring at them, but they seemed like they were losing attention.

"Are you alright there, sugar cube?" It was the pony behind the apple cart Twilight was talking to. She nodded, unable to speak.

"Good. You know, you look familiar... Oh yeah! You're Rainbow Dash's old griffon friend! Gilda, ah think. Never see many griffons around here." she hesitated. "Well, ah guess the lunch rush is over. Better get back to the farm." And with that, she packed up her apple-related foods, folded up her cart, and trotted off.

"Griffon? I'm not a griffon, I'm you're friend, Twilight Spark-" she stopped to look at herself. She felt wings on her back, but they seemed... larger than they should be. Her front hooves were claws, and the back half of her was a lion, with large wings. Which could only mean that the front half was an eagle. It was then that Trixie realized she wasn't Twilight Sparkle the alicorn. She wasn't even a pony anymore.