• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,974 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,974

PreviousChapters Next
Broken Hearted and Demise

''Lucas!'' Doc Church called after the sheriff. ''Simms! I need to talk to you!''

''What is it, Doc?'' Lucas asked him tiredly.

''I think we may have a problem with Brady.''

''Why? Whats wrong with him?'' Lucas asked with a raised brow.

''Rainbow brought Brady into the clinic not long ago, and he was barely even showing any signs of life. He is still alive, but he's going through ghoulification.''

Lucas froze, trying to take in what the doctor had just said. ''Ghoulification?'' He said quietly. ''How?''

''Him and Rainbow drank some Fire and Blood beer, and they didn't know that it was highly radioactive. What I don't understand is why it affected Brady, but Rainbow is completely fine. I just don't know how its possible.''

''How radioactive? How irradiated is he?''

''Fire and Blood has around...I dunno, 2500 rads per bottle? As for Brady, he has 5000 rads in his system. I can't believe that he isn't dead yet, either. Although he has been diagnosed with being extremely rad resistant.''

''Doc, I want you to take me to him.''


Back at the clinic, Doc Church escorted Lucas Simms into the room where Brady was staying in. He approached his body slowly, pulling up a chair next to the bed and sitting beside the doctor. He looked at Brady's unconscious form and worry immediately overcame him. Him looked hard at him, seeing his body color had turned into that of a pale white, giving him the appearance of actually being dead, and when he gave his body a quick inspection, he gently placed the palm of his hand onto his forehead, feeling how cold he was to the touch. He turned to face Doc Church, locking eye contact with his.

''How long does he have left?''

''Hard to tell. About a day or a few until he turns?''

''I'm gonna have to deal with this before things get too out of hand. I can't risk the safety of the town if he turns into one of those feral ghouls.'' Lucas said quietly as he lifted up his assault rifle and aimed it at Brady's head, only to be pushed back down by the hand of the doctor.

''No. Not yet.'' He said as he exhaled softly through his nose. ''I think we should wait until Rainbow has a few last moments with him. I'm gonna go find her.''


Rainbow Dash and Moira sat inside the brass lantern. They both decided to try and get their minds off things that had happened in the past few hours and days, but for some reason it kept lingering in their minds. All the bad things that had happened to Brady and Rainbow seemed to stick in her mind. The time at the campsite when they were around the fire, Minefield, when they first met, their first kiss together. On the other hand, Moira seemed to still be trying to take things in over what Rainbow had told her. Could this really be it for Brady? Will he die? Will he live?

''Hey, Moira?''

Moira didn't turn to face her, she just took a swig of beer and gave a quiet ''Hmm?''

''Do you think things will ever go back the way they were?''

At that, Moira put down her beer bottle and turned to face her, Rainbow now having her attention.

''How do you mean?''

''I mean as in if Brady gets better, he goes back to his normal life, I go back to Equestria and you just go back to your book writing or whatever it was you said.''

''Um...I dunno, Rainbow. Nowadays its hard to tell what could happen.''

''Ugh. I miss my friends. I've never actually been apart from them for as long as this. By now they would probably of assumed I'm missing and Pinkie Pie is still looking for me even after the search stopped. She's stubborn like that.''

''What? Pinkie Pie? Who or what is a Pinkie Pie?''

''Pinkies my friend. To be honest, you actually remind me a lot about her. You act the same, you always seem happy and nothing can get you down and for one, nothing seems to bother you as much.''

''Well, that's nice of you to say. But nothing bothers me because there is nothing to bother me. Well uh...maybe except that Brady is in some kind of medical state and we don't know if he'll be alright yet.''

''Huh. I sure hope he will. I really wanna go back and see him again, but I can't because Doc Church is such a jerk.''

Before any of the two could say anything, a worried but serious-looking Doc Church came through the door of the bar and as soon as he saw Moira and Rainbow sat at the other end of the bar, he came up to them. However, he didn't take a seat, he just stood there and looked at Rainbow for a moment with dim eyes, making her feel very uncomfortable under his gaze.

''What?'' Rainbow said in a bored tone.

''Rainbow, you and I need to talk.''

''About what?'' Dash pouted. ''Did something happen to Brady?''

''Look, I'm in no mood to fuck around like this. Either come with me or don't. That's your choice, but its about Brady.''

''Ugh. Fine. Seeya, Moira.''

Rainbow got out of her seat and Moira waved her a goodbye as she watched her and Doc Church exit the bar.


At the clinic, Doc Church had informed Rainbow on what is wrong with Brady, and unsurprisingly, she was crying. She sat next to Brady's body on a chair and cuddled his lifeless form tightly as her tears soaked his golden hair. Behind her, Lucas patted her shoulder softly.

''I'm sorry about this, Rainbow. I guess I'll leave you two alone.''

And with that, Lucas silently left the room, quietly shutting the door behind him, leaving just Rainbow and Brady in the room.

Rainbow gripped Brady's body tightly, rubbing her cheek into his as she snuggled into his soft, golden hair. He may of been cold to the touch, but she didn't care. What matters is that she could be there with him before he dies. She looked at his face, seeing how peaceful he looked. She gently wiped away a smudge of blood on his cold lips and gently pressed hers against his, kissing him goodbye.

''Goodbye, Brady.'' She sniffled loudly. ''I'll miss you.''

Without saying another word, Rainbow reached under her wing and pulled out the picture of him and her together and carefully placed it in his cold hands. The room was filled with silence as she sat there, looking at his body as he silently lay there. Her tears soaked her cheeks and matted her fur and the only audible noise was that of a quiet series of sobs coming from Rainbow's misery.
Then, she heard something. Something like a faint groan. She lifted her head up, focusing her attention on Brady, seeing that his mouth was trembling a little bit and his eyelids were lightly fluttering as he tried to open them.

''Brady...?''

The noise grew partially louder, his eyes now fully open and Rainbow froze in horror. Those eyes were not the ones she loved. That groan wasn't human. His eyes were a milky-white and barely showed his pupils. Whatever she was looking at wasn't Brady. Not anymore. Slowly, Brady began to get out of bed, clumsily throwing his feet over the side to stand up and face Rainbow who's face was now frozen with horror and fright.

Brady stared at her for a moment, looking deep into her scared, magenta eyes as if it was looking directly into her soul. Not moving, Brady let out a blood-chilling growl and took a step towards Rainbow, taking small steps each time as he made her etch closer to the wall with nowhere to run.

''B-B-Brady. Brady!? No! Please! Stay back! Just stay back!''

He didn't listen. Instead, he kept moving closer and closer towards her, now pinning her between him and the wall. Panicking, she screamed for help, hoping one of either Lucas or Doc Church would hear her cries.

''Doc Church!? Lucas!? Help!''

Brady was now face to face with her, looking down on her figure as she curled up into a ball, not daring to move over fear that he'd attack her.

''Brady...please don't hurt me...'' She whimpered as she peeked through her hooves to look into his lifeless, white eyes.

He lifted a hand, ready to swipe at her, when all of a sudden the door to the room was kicked open and the next thing that happened was bullets started to be fired, and penetrate Brady's torso, making him scream in pain and drop to the floor, his blood already spilling onto and staining the floor a deep red.
Rainbow didn't move. She just looked at the now dead form of Brady lying on the floor next to her in a pool of blood. Her eyes watered and her lips trembled. Lucas came towards her and offered her a hand to help her back to her hooves, to which she accepted. She looked at Lucas and them unexpectedly cuddled onto him, crying into his chest as he gently patted her back in an attempt to comfort her.

''Rainbow, are you hurt?'' Lucas asked her in concern.

''H-H-He was gonna try and kill me!''

''He can't hurt you now, Rainbow. Its alright.''

Rainbow broke away from the hug, looking at the corpse of Brady on the floor.

''He's gone. Brady's gone...''

''There was nothing we could do, Rainbow. He was turning into a ghoul. If I hadn't of shot him, he'd of killed you by now.''

''But...but...I loved him!''

''I know you did, Rainbow. He loved you, too. Now, c'mon. We should go bury him somewhere.''

PreviousChapters Next