• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,974 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,974

PreviousChapters Next
How Long's A Tear Take To Dry?

Author's Note:

Idea for title came to me when I was listening to The Beautiful South's ''How Long's A Tear Take To Dry?''. Good song. But Good as Gold (Stupid as Mud) is better. :)

Hope ya like this one.

Earlier That Night...

Billy, Gustavo and Rainbow sat around a campfire, watching it crack and pop as the night grew darker. Usually, they wouldn't have a fire, due to the many threats lurking in the area being attracted by it, and it being as dark as it was, there is no telling what may come. Weather that be a mole-rat, a mirelurk or a wild, hungry dog. But tonight they were risking it, because the nights air was colder than usual and they were already beginning to feel the nipping of the cold air against their skin.

''So...Gustavo, is it? What did you do before you were assigned to do this job? You sure look like you know your way around the dangers of the wastes.'' Billy asked, curious of Gustavo's past.

''I used to be a guard for Tenpenny. Can we not talk about it please?'' Gustavo replied back almost immediately, a stern look on his face.

''Why?''

''J-Just...don't, Billy. Trust me.'' Rainbow told him, stopping him from taking the conversation further. ''Well...since he doesn't wanna discuss it, how about you, Billy? What did you do?''

''Me? Well...I was a mercenary. I did a few jobs in that business and I didn't fancy killing innocent people, so now, I'm a scavenger. I gotta say, it was better than it sounded. I just hate leaving Maggie alone in Megaton whenever I'm out doing it.'' His expression turned sad, Billy looking at the ground, planting a hand across his face.

''You okay?'' Rainbow asked, noticing a small spec in his eye.

''Y-Yeah...I just worry about Maggie when I'm not around.''

''Hey. Isn't Maggie that girl I heard about that got rescued from a raid on a house? I think it was on GNR or something?'' Gustavo said, trying to think clearly.

''Yeah, it was on GNR, about a couple years ago. I got her myself. Raiders were inside the house when I got there, and they didn't hesitate to try and kill me. One of them came at me so fast that before I could react, he ended up stabbing me in the eye.''

Rainbow gasped softly, noticing Billy's eyes becoming glazed over with tears.

''I didn't even kill the guy. I just remember being unconscious from the pain, and I guess they thought they had killed me. When I got up, the first thing I noticed was blood staining my clothes and face. When I got upstairs, that's when I found Maggie. It was the worst thing I ever saw in that room. On the bed were her parents, butchered and blood everywhere. She was hiding under that bed, herself covered in blood, but luckily, she wasn't hurt. I've taken her in and raised her since then.''

Billy had been lost in his words that much that he hadn't realized that he was crying. He rubbed his eye and let out a long sigh as he slouched on top of his sleeping bag. Seeing his misery, Rainbow came up next to him and wrapped a wing around him, pulling him into a hug, to which Billy accepted, holding her tightly as if she were Maggie.

''S-S-Sorry, I just can't help but cry every time I think about it...''

''Hey, its alright to cry about. You clearly care greatly for Maggie and want nothing more than her to be safe.''

Across the fire, Gustavo sat there watching the warming moment pass. He smiled a bit, but his insides felt like they twisted a bit. It made him feel...like something was missing from his life. Even he doesn't know how to explain the strange, new feeling. Was it because all his life he had been on his own and left to fend for himself? Because both Billy and Rainbow had something they care about, such as Maggie and Brady? Was it jealousy? He really didn't know.

He turned away from them, staring out over the wastes that was now lit by the dim, white light from the moon. He sighed, pulling out a pair of binoculars he had in his bag and looked deeper into the desolate area. All he saw was dust and grime being turned up by the winds of the night, making them dance randomly and aimlessly through the air. Rubble, dead trees and blood and grit is what only seemed to be left on this land nowadays, setting a depressing scene for people who roam the land in search of things to sell or to find someplace to settle down. Gustavo sighed again, dropping his binoculars beside his feet and slouched down on his sleeping bag, wiping a hand across his face and eyes. He was so caught up in the midst of the night that he didn't even realize that Rainbow had came beside him.

She looked at him with a hint of worry clearly shown on her face as sat beside him. Gently she put a hoof to his shoulder, causing him to jump at her touch, snapping him from his thoughts.

''Gah! Oh. Hey, Rainbow.'' He said quietly in a sad tone.

''Hey. You okay? You seem distracted.''

''I-I...'' He mumbled, but then just sighed softly through his nostrils and looked back at the desolate and dead scene before him. ''I dunno. I just feel a bit odd, is all.''

She looked at him, inspecting his mood deeper, easily noticing a small glittery spec in his his eyes. Slowly, she sat next to him closely, looking at the land before them, watching its deadness. It kinda looked like the night in Equestria, no movement, no activity, just stillness and silence, with only the light from the moon illuminating its scenery.

''Its so quiet.'' Rainbow said quietly and slowly.

''Yeah, I miss being out on nights like this. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't because I was stuck guarding Tenpenny Tower full time.''

''How come?''

''Because apparently, I was the best shot out of all the guards, but for some reason, he put me on daytime duty instead of night duty, so I never got to see the night sky for a long time. This is the first time in a few days that I've seen it.''

''Wow. So, you were just stuck outdoors guarding for the whole of daytime? Must've sucked.''

''Ha. It did. At least not I'm free to roam the wastes as I see fit, and can do whatever I want without bitchy Mister Tenpenny giving me orders twenty-four-seven.''

''Yeah, I hear you.'' Rainbow chuckled with him, keeping her gaze fixed upon the night scene before her. ''And um...thanks for helping me back in Greyditch. I owe you one.''

''Eh, its no problem, Rainbow. You're just lucky that you didn't brake your neck when you got flung into that wall.''

Rainbow blushed a dim crimson, now looking into Gustavo's brown eyes. Saying nothing more, she hugged him, and he gladly returned the embrace.

PreviousChapters Next