• Published 21st Jan 2014
  • 1,478 Views, 36 Comments

An Apple Amidst Crazies - Kevinltk



Applejack needs help with applebucking and turns to her friends for help. Too bad they are all caught up in crazy situations of their own.

  • ...
2
 36
 1,478

Crazy Critters

With Big Mac having to nurse his injuries and pride from what he and Applejack were referring to as ‘the horseshoe incident’, Sweet Apple Acres was going to be down one hardworking pony for the upcoming applebucking season.

Applejack recalled the last time Big Mac got injured and was unable to help with the harvest. She had tried to do all the applebucking by herself, and, because of her stubbornness, she refused help from others, practically working herself to the bone. To make matters worse, she had promised to help her friends with various tasks, which, in her exhausted state, ended up doing more harm than good. She felt horrible for poisoning half the town with baked bads and traumatizing the other half with a bunny stampede.

Facing the exact same situation, she knew the right way to handle it was to go ask her friends for help this time. With her friends filling in for her brother’s absence, Applejack was glad that she was not going to have to deal with any insanity.

Seeing as how often Fluttershy came over to Sweet Apple Acres to help deal with the animals anyway, Applejack started off her search for help with the yellow pegasus. As Applejack trotted up the path to Fluttershy’s cottage, she wondered if maybe her friend would be too busy tending to the various animals that lived or frequently visited the caretaker’s home.

Applejack softly knocked on Fluttershy’s door when she approached it, knowing that even knocking too loudly could send the easily frightened pegasus into a state of panic. A smile appeared on her face as the door started to slowly open. “Howdy there, Flu—”

Applejack’s mouth froze when she saw who had opened the door. Instead of her shy friend, a big bear, slightly slouching as his head barely scraped the ceiling, greeted her. Not too many ponies can come face to face with a bear without pausing. Fortunately, Applejack was one of those ponies, having survived the many dangers and challenges she and her friends had faced. Unfortunately, this bear was able to stop Applejack in her tracks just from his appearance. More specifically, the frilly, pink ballerina outfit it was wearing. The little tiara on his head was not helping Applejack deal with what she was seeing.

An uncomfortable silence descended on the pair as they stared at each other, both unsure of how to respond to the other.

Quickly shaking some sense back into her head, Applejack remembered why she was there before she got distracted by the hairy pink thing. “Uh, hi. Nice… look you got there.”

The bear smiled and nodded in approval at the praise, not noticing the awkward tone.

“Is Fluttershy home?” Applejack asked, hoping that she can get things moving to save time and her sanity.

The bear nodded again before turning around and letting out a low roar.

A soft voice called back, “Oh, who’s at the door, Harry?”

Applejack gave a small sigh of relief and smiled as Harry, as well as the awkward situation, was replaced by Fluttershy at the door. “Howdy, Fluttershy.”

“Hello, Applejack. Sorry that I had to let Harry answer the door. I was out in the backyard treating an otter’s injuries. The poor dear got hurt practicing his skateboarding tricks,” Fluttershy explained, bowing her head slightly in apology.

“Don’t worry about it. Ah know lots of animals depend on you when they’re in need,” Applejack reassured. Her smile was replaced by a confused look when she recalled something odd about Fluttershy’s explanation. “Wait, why was an otter skateboardin’?”

“Well, you see, we heard about a new circus that is looking for more acts and performers, and some of the animals are really excited to get a chance to be stars.”

“Ah guess that’s why that bear was wearin’ all that frou-frou stuff, huh.” Applejack chuckled.

“Oh no, Harry just likes to wear it. He says it makes him look pretty,” Fluttershy replied with a smile.

Applejack’s chuckle was instantly replaced by a skeptical look. “Right… Anyway, Ah was hopin’ you could help out with the applebuckin’. Big Mac got injured and is—”

“Big Mac got hurt?! Oh, the poor dear. How did it happen?” Fluttershy interrupted, worry etched onto her face.

“Uh, he got hurt,” Applejack nervously replied, not wanting to reveal how Big Mac got hurt as well as feeling a bit embarrassed about the whole event.

Fluttershy cocked her head in confusion at Applejack’s odd response. “Um, yes, you already said that, Applejack. How did he get hurt?”

“He got hurt,” Applejack repeated, her gaze drifting towards the sky as her mouth scrunched up.

An awkward silence once again prevailed at Fluttershy’s doorstep. Applejack began to nervously sweat as she felt Fluttershy’s bewildered gaze staring right at her, slowly unraveling her impressive web of deceit.

“Okay…” Fluttershy relented, eliciting a sigh of relief from Applejack. “Anyway, I would love to help you out, but the animals really need me around to help them practice their acts. I’m also worried that they might get hurt while practicing.” Averting her gaze from Applejack, Fluttershy hid behind her hair. “You’re not mad, right?” her voice barely above a whisper and with a hint of fear.

Applejack gave a warm smile at Fluttershy’s explanation. The kind caretaker cared for the animals almost like they were own children. “Aww, come here, you.” Applejack leaned in, giving Fluttershy a hug. “You don’t have to worry about anythin’, sugarcube. You and the animals care about each other a lot. Not only that, you’re helpin’ some of them with their dreams. That’s somethin’ you should never feel sorry for.”

Fluttershy returned a smile at Applejack’s reassurance. The heartwarming moment did not last long though as a loud crash was heard to their side. The two friends turned to see what caused the commotion. Judging by the giant pile of fur and feathers that now lay before them, a few of the practicing animals must have crashed into each other.

“Oh, my babies!” Fluttershy cried out, rushing over to the animals. “Is any animal hurt? Does anyone need bandages? Stretcher? Defibrillator?”

Applejack chuckled as Fluttershy fussed over the animals. She could see that Fluttershy was overreacting, treating each animal as though they had suffered some grievous injury when in reality, the worst was just a minor scratch or two.

“Ah should be goin’ now, Fluttershy. Good luck to your critters with the circus thing,” Applejack called out, even though it was ignored as Fluttershy frantically treated non-existing injuries.

Well that was interestin’, Applejack thought as she trotted away from the caretaker’s cottage. Hopefully my other friends won’t be caught in crazy situations.