• Published 22nd Mar 2012
  • 1,183 Views, 34 Comments

Journal of the Princess of the Night - Basmati



This is the lost of journal of Princess Luna, pre-Nightmare Moon era.

  • ...
1
 34
 1,183

Entry 2 - Oh, my life...

I have decided that I probably should carry on with this journal - it's a great way to vent out my feelings, and I don't really have anything better to do. I raise the moon every night - big whoop. Nopony really cares but it doesn't bother me too much. Tia keeps going on about it, but I've just learnt to block it out.

Reading yesterday's entry, I realise that you (whether 'you' are a pony or just a book) do not know anything about me, as an actual pony. You know about my sister, and what a bitch she is, but not really anything about myself.

I am the Princess of the Night, for obvious reasons, just as Celestia is the Princess of the Sun. She doesn't like to be called that though. She prefers 'Princess Celestia of Equestria' - she probably thinks that it sounds cool.

Unlike my 'dear' sister, I really feel for nature, particularly my creation. I just feel that you can experience all sorts of emotions with nature - love, happiness, peace - and you just don't get the same feeling with ponies and pony-made environments. Tia feels differently though. She just prefers to be out among the ponies, which I do have to admit can be a pretty wonderful feeling - knowing that all these ponies look up to you, and that you have to protect them. Someponies may find it scary, strange, even horrible, but Celestia and I, we live for it.

I don't have any hobbies, unless you count either being a princess or making moons a hobby. I don't listen to music, and I don't really read a lot. The things I read are mainly non-fiction books, but unfortunately, most of the books nowadays are about Celestia and I, due to the fact that Celestia likes reading about herself, so it's hard to find a book I know won't mention me or my sister.

Today, Tia and I went about our royal duties - among them, a visit to Canterlot. Oh, how I wish we could just leave Canterlot forever and never return, but of course, it's Celestia's favourite, so we must go there. And as usual, it was dinner party this, evening ball that - Tia just has to visit everypony whose anypony, otherwise she sees her visit as wasted. And I am not allowed to stay behind in Everfree Castle, or even just in the carriage - oh no, it's bad for our "image". Tia says that ponies will want to see us going to public events like these and mingling with the public. Whenever she says this, I always remind her that 1 - these are not 'public' events. They are private parties that only the Uppercrust are invited to - and 2 - we are not mingling with the public. We are in fact mingling with the Upper Class, who do not speak for the majority of Equestrians. Her reply is always the same - "No one likes a smart-arse."

The only thing that makes Canterlot bearable is Gem. Now, before you go all "Aww...Luna has a boyfriend!/Luna's in love!"I should just say he is NOT my boyfriend. We are friends - JUST friends. Granted, he is awesome to hang with, but that is all we do. All we do. Gem is a friend of mine, that I met on one of my first visits to Canterlot. Tia had forced me to go to somepony's dinner party thing, and, as I know nopony there and didn't even want to be there in the first place, I hid...and tried to run. But failed. Anyway, I was hiding behind one of the doors, peering through the keyhole to spot Tia, when I heard a voice behind me.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped, and spun around to face a unicorn stallion, with a blue coat and a silver mane. His eyes were a dark blue, that kinda glittered in the lamplight. I stared at him for a while, until I realised that he was talking to me, but I had no idea what he was actually saying.

"Sorry...what?"

He laughed. "You know, for a princess, you're pretty blunt," he said. He walked up to me and held out his right hoof. "I am Monoceros Gemini III."

I shook the offered hoof, and replied with , "I am Princess Luna...of Equestria. The first."

We spent the rest of that night talking about us - what our lives are like and stuff like that. He told me about his family - his brothers Orion and Taurus, and his sister, Andromeda. He was the youngest as well, and we could relate to each other. I told him what Celestia is really like, and he said that it didn't surprise him in the slightest. Made me laugh.

After this first encounter, we had a close connection, and he made me vow to always visit him if and when I was ever in Canterlot again.

And, of course, I kept my vow, like a good princess does, and everytime Celestia whisks me off the Canterlot, I always stop off at his lovely abode, to the amusement of Tia, who, no matter how many times I tell her that we're just friends, always makes it so dramatic, as if we're meeting up and having romantic rendezvous that end with hot sex. She has an imagination, my sister.

So, of course, I visited Gem today, and he was particularly glad to see me. It has been ages since we last met up, due to the fact that nopony had actually invited Celestia to an event of any sort (she was getting quite restless, actually. I think she was having withdrawal symptoms). We talked about the usual stuff - family, Canterlot, night. Gem really likes to talk to me about the night sky. I think it might be because everypony praises Celestia about how great the day is, but nopony really sees the night sky. I have a feeling that Gem stays awake a bit longer than he needs to just so he can see my sky. It is a nice thought, but I don't want him getting stressed or getting ill from a lack of sleep on my account. He does enough for me as it is. He is a sort agony aunt in a way - I tell him everything that's on my mind and he helps me either sort out the problem or, if it's something to do with Tia (which it usually is), tries to get it off my mind.

The carriage ride home was quiet, as usual, and, as usual, Tia started talking about the events she attended, when suddenly, she changed the subject.

"So, how are you and Gem?"

I turned to her, with a questioning look on my face."What do mean by that?"

Celestia smiled. "You know, have you gotten anywhere yet?"

"For the last time Celestia, I am not going out with Monoceros Gemini III! How many more times am I going to have to say that?"

Celestia rolled her eyes, as she does every time something doesn't go the way she planned, and didn't say another word until we were back at Everfree Castle.

"You know, you two would make a great couple," she said, slipping into the palace door.

I know I haven't said this once yet, but although my sister can be a real royal pain (sorry about the pun), she can be nice...occasionally. When she tries. I remember one time, when we were much younger, when she would be so protective over me - she refused to let anypony to come into contact with me without her permission, and although I hated being treated like a baby, I do appreciate what she was trying to do. It's just that we are so different now that it's hard to remember that this is the same pony that used to stick up for me, used to come into my room when I had a nightmare, and used to always praise me on everything I did. It's funny how time can make a pony change.