• Published 22nd Mar 2012
  • 1,183 Views, 34 Comments

Journal of the Princess of the Night - Basmati



This is the lost of journal of Princess Luna, pre-Nightmare Moon era.

  • ...
1
 34
 1,183

Entry 6 - Moving...

I'm sorry I have written in a few days - I've been...busy.




I am in Canterlot.






I'm sorry - I just miss Everfree Ca-...keep it together, Luna. You can't let the ink smudge. It's just hard, having to adjust to 'city life', but at least I have Gem here with me. That makes it better. A bit.

When we arrived here, the citizens, obviously thrilled that they were going to be living amongst royalty, threw us a welcome party. However, I did not feel at all welcome. Probably due to the fact that I didn't want to be there in the first place, though.

When our carriage arrived, we looked out and saw the banner they had made for us - "Welcome Princesses Celestia and Luna." Always Celestia first. Never me. Oh, is the moon not important enough for you? Or am I just not as important as my sister?

I need to calm down.


Ok. Anyway, we walked into the new Canterlot Castle, Celestia beaming with joy and me just following behind out of duty. We walked around the entire place, which was considerable larger than Everfree Castle (doesn't mean I prefer it though). They showed us our rooms, and again, Tia's was bigger than mine, but I don't really care about the size - I care about the location! Our rooms were in the same wing - close enough for us to hear if something's wrong, but far apart enough for us not to see too much of each other. My room is quite nice, I suppose; I'm sitting here right now. We packed my bed, desk, instruments and stuff like that, so my room basically looks exactly the same as it did in Everfree - I have a feeling Tia had something to do with that. Even my silver curtains are here. I guess it will help to make me feel more at home, but not much. It still feels different.

Gem was in the crowd of ponies welcoming us, and I saw him smile and wink as everypony cheered as we walked on to the balcony. It did make me smile, which I guess was good considering everypony was watching me at that moment, and if I was frowning...well, it wouldn't have been a good start.

Tia addressed the crowds, and said the usual crap - "We are both so happy to be here" and "I know I speak for Luna as well as for myself when I say that we love Canterlot" and my personal favourite "Luna was so happy when I asked her about moving here". I almost burst out laughing - I just managed to catch myself. I mean, seriously, she thought she could get away with saying that? I looked down and saw Gem's shoulders shaking - he found it as funny as I did.

"Luna, would you like to add anything?"

I was caught off guard - Tia never lets me speak to crowds, due to the fact that she's scared I'll say or do something "stupid". She has a point, really - I'm not good at knowing when to keep my mouth shut sometimes.

But I knew she was doing this as a "Sorry" gesture, so I thought I should take it. I stepped forward and said, "Thank you for welcoming us into your...wonderful city. I know that all of you have busy schedules, but it is nice to know that all of you took time off it to insure that my sister and I had a warm welcome."

They seemed to like it so I carried on. "When Celestia...suggested that we move to Canterlot, I was taken by...surprise. I was very attached to Everfree Castle, you see, but...the idea of moving to such a wonderful city...I had to agree." The crowd burst into applause, which surprised me as I didn't think what I said was that good. But they probably would have applauded if I had said, "Blah blah blah."

I could see Gem, smiling up at me, nodding as he applauded. I quickly stepped back and let Celestia carry on talking.

Anyway, I am now back at 'home', lying on my bed, writing this. I don't think I'll get used to the idea of living in Canterlot for a long time - it just seems surreal. I might fly over to Everfree tomorrow, just for old times' sake.

Wait a minute - there's something outside my window. I'll be right back.

**************************************************************************************

Oh my goodness! Have I mentioned how much I love Gem?!

I heard something beneath my window, so I went to check, and who do I find standing there? None other than Gemini. Oh, but wait, there are about 10 other ponies standing slightly behind him in two rows.

"Err...Gem? What's-" He raised his hoof to silence me, then raised his lute and began to play a melody with his magic.

Suddenly, the ponies behind him burst into song.

Welcome Princess Luna,
We are glad to see you.
Oh, the joy you have brought us,
By raising the moon.
Every night, without fail,
You bring out that bright sphere,
And all of those stars,
Making our nights dear.

I stood at that balcony, my mouth hanging open as Gem gently put his lute down, and said, "Welcome to Canterlot, your highness." With that, he bowed.

"Oh my." That was all I could say. I mean, he wrote me a song. A song! And got ponies to perform and everything! I immediately flew down, and stood in front of him. I saw the other ponies immediately bow as I landed in front of them. I looked Gem in the eyes, until I finally threw myself on to him, giving him a huge hug.

"Thank you so much," I said, my eyes tearing up.

"You're welcome."

I turned to the ponies that Gem had brought with him. "Thank you all so much." I invited them into the castle, but they refused - they were probably just nervous.

Soon after that, they all left, leaving just Gem and me. I told him again how grateful I was, but he said, "It was nothing."

"It was not nothing! It was the nicest thing anypony has ever done for me."

Gem shook his head, but didn't say anything else. I asked him if wanted to come inside, but he said that his parents were probably wondering where he was, so he should probably go home. I offered to walk him there, but he instantly refused - "This is no time for a princess to walking around the streets!" He made sure that I was safely on my balcony before making off for his house.

I do love Gem, but he can be a bit overprotective sometimes - I know I am a princess, but I can look after myself. I suppose he is just looking out for me like a friend would. He doesn't want anything bad to happen.

It's quite late, so I should probably get some sleep. Hopefully, I'll write tomorrow.