• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 4,213 Views, 108 Comments

CMC Changeling Protectors - contodaslasganas



The Crusaders find a young colt crying behind a bush and befriend him, but is there more to him than meets the eye? How will the fillies react when he reveals his true identity? Can they protect him from his own kind, or worse, from the Elements?

  • ...
9
 108
 4,213

The New Cutie Mark Crusader (Edited 2014-09-03 00:37 EST)

“GOOD MORNIN’, SUNSHINE!”

Apple Bloom’s shout rebounded off the walls of the clubhouse, waking up Silver with a fright— or at least, that’s what should have happened.

“Ughh… Five more minutes…”

“Come on, Silvah! It’s already twelve o’clock an’ time’s a-wastin’! Everypony’s waitin’ for ya outside!” Apple Bloom briskly shook the colt awake, almost making him fly through the roof with fright.

As Silver regained his composure, he walked to the door of the clubhouse and stealthily looked around, making sure that nopony except for the crusaders were present. He quickly exited the treehouse and stopped in front of his three new friends.

“Look, Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, there’s something I have to t—”

“There’s no need to worry, Silver. I already told them and they agreed with me. You can stay here for as long as you want, and in fact, we are here to offer you something.” Sweetie Belle and the other two fillies led the surprised colt to a secluded patch of grass. Silver spotted a set of bongos, a long scroll of paper with indistinguishable writing, and a picture of some rainbow-maned pony striking a pose. So taken aback he was by this seemingly random conglomerate of items that he failed to notice the chair right in front of him, almost crashing into it before Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stopped him in his tracks.

Hmm, why would they be leading me here?

The fillies sat the foal down in the chair and took their respective places in front of him. From this new angle, Silver could see Scootaloo positioning herself in front of the bongos and Sweetie Belle standing behind a podium. Apple Bloom suddenly appeared next to her, muttering something about how it was her turn to play the music.

How strange, what could they be planning?

Silver’s instinct began to take hold, sending his senses into overdrive and making his mind panic.

Wait, don’t tell me I just made friends with some of the dreaded cannibal ponies! I’ve heard of their weird rituals and everything, but they can’t be this far inland… right?

Silver was getting ready to bolt when the bongos began, further discomforting him, making him writhe as if attempting to control some beast that lay inside him— a beast slowly convincing him that he had to escape to live.

Sweetie Belle quickly noticed what he was doing, nodded her head to Apple Bloom, and walked over to Silver’s side.

“Don’t worry, there’s no need to be afraid.”

That sweet, calming voice…

Silver stopped squirming and looked at Sweetie’s reassuring smile, returning the favor with his own curved lips and settling back down on the chair.

Apple Bloom, now behind the podium, began speaking.

“Today we hold this ‘ere ceremony in order to induct Silvah Flame as a member of the dist… dista… Sweetie Belle, how d'ya say this word?” Sweetie Belle trotted to the podium and whispered to Apple Bloom the correct pronunciation. Soon after, she walked off and took back her place next to Silver.

“Thanks, Sweetie Belle! Ahem... to induct Silvah Flame as a member of the dis-ten-wished Cutie Mark Crusaders. As stated in the rules of our const… consto… Sweetie Belle?”

Scootaloo suddenly stepped in. “Oh, for Celestia’s sake! Silver, we’re offering you membership into the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

Silver simply looked at the pegasus, a bit stunned at her reaction.

“What’s the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

“Only the most awesome club in all of Equestria!” Scootaloo responded.

“We noticed that you didn’t have a cutie mark, so we wanted you to join our club! We go off on different crusades to try to find our cutie marks!” Sweetie Belle could barely contain her enthusiasm, but Silver was still a bit puzzled.

Cutie marks? What are those? Maybe they’re talking about those symbols that other ponies seem to have on their flanks?

Silver cleared his thoughts and his throat. “I don’t know. I mean, I don’t plan on staying here for too long, and it’s not like I can always follow you fillies since I can’t risk others finding me…”

“Please?”

“But I h—”

“PLEASE???”

The colt was no match for the three pairs of beady eyes that had just appeared on the faces of the three fillies.

I can’t… they’ll be in danger… but those sad little faces…

“Oh, who am I kidding? I accept your offer. I would love to be part of your group.”

“Yeah!”

The three other ponies lunged towards Silver, entangling him in one of the tightest hugs he had ever experienced. A certain warmth spread over him, engulfed him, cleared his mind of all worry… and that's when he noticed something: he was truly happy. At least, for that one moment, everything was right in his world.

“Now, what are we waiting for? Let’s get to crusading!”

“Wait, Scootaloo,” Silver interjected, “I don’t think I can go with you guys. I don’t want anypony else to see me.”

“Oh, Ah took care o’ that, Silvah! Follow me!” Apple Bloom led the way through a small patch of trees, Scootaloo not far behind. Sweetie Belle stayed next to Silver, both of them following as best they could.

“Where are you going? Guys, slow down! We can’t keep up!” Sweetie Belle was soon talking to thin air, though. Both she and Silver were now stuck in unfamiliar terrain, trees spread out all around them. Not once had Sweetie Belle wandered off in this direction, and the fact that the foliage had blocked much of the sunlight only made the entire situation seem more hopeless and frightening.

“Great, now we’re lost. Apple Bloom! Scootaloo! You left me and Silver behind!”

Suddenly, a bush nearby began to move, and a small figure rapidly charged towards the white unicorn.

Not on my watch!

In that split second, the colt’s instinct took hold, and he tackled Sweetie Belle onto a bush nearby. Silver himself, however, was unable to dodge the small creature, and they both tumbled out into another clearing.

Ugh… Silver recovered as quickly as possible and found himself face to face with… himself?

Wait, what?

The creature then began to morph, shedding the façade and displaying its true chitinous, black body.

A changeling! But how, how could they have made it so far inland? Ah, in this form, I can’t hope to defeat him!

As it was, luck was on his side: the changeling, as if he had received a message from some commanding officer, quickly turned back and galloped away. Silver thought better than to chase him and trotted back to the first clearing, stopping at Sweetie Belle’s side.

“Are you okay, Sweetie Belle?”

“What… What happened?” Sweetie Belle had recovered from her shock, rubbing her head with a single hoof.

“Oh, uh… a small creature jumped out of that bush and was going to hit you, so I pushed you into the bush. I’m so sorry, but it’s all I could think of.”

“You don’t have to be sorry for saving me, Silver. Did you see what it was?”

“No, sorry, it zoomed by too fast for me to tell.”

There's no need to worry them with this. It’s better if they don’t know. I’m glad it was just a scout; he probably didn’t even know who I really was. But if they were this far inl—

“Sweetie Belle! Silver! Where’d y’all run off ta?” Apple Bloom suddenly appeared in front of the duo, followed by Scootaloo.

“Yeah, we looked back for a second and you guys were gone!” Scootaloo then took in the entire scene and smirked over at Apple Bloom, who easily understood.

“Ya know, if y’all wanted some time alone, all ya had to do was ask.”

A strange warmth arose in Silver’s cheeks, unlike anything he had experienced.

Am I… blushing?

He turned towards the unicorn he saved and spotted her cheeks glowing red, feeling the same way as he was.

“No, no, it’s just that a creature was going to attack me, and Silver saved me!”

With this comment, the colt began to blush even more, his cheeks getting redder by the second.

Why can’t I control this?

Gladly for him, Apple Bloom broke in and reminded everyone of the task at hoof.

“Come on, let’s go! Daylight’s a’wastin’!” The earth pony quickly dashed forward while the other three galloping right behind her. Soon, they reached a much larger clearing, a medium-sized field of grass surrounded by multiple trees. Various objects were lying around, everything from rolls of fabric to long pieces of rope, from a balancing beam to a hammer resting on a pile of wood, from a mini stove (emitting thick black smoke, apparently) to seemingly endless stacks of books and comics.

“What… is all this?” Silver was still taking in his surroundings; each time he looked, he would spot some new, seemingly unrelated object among the rest.

“This is our official crusadin’ place, as o’ today! I brought all these ‘ere things myself!”

“Hey, what do you mean, ‘by yourself’?”

“Oh, an’ Scootaloo helped too! Sorry, Scoots.”

“When did you guys do all this?” Sweetie Belle was surprised that they hadn’t told her anything about this new “crusading place.”

“Remember that one time, Ah think two weeks ago, when ya were sick? Yeah, we found this ‘ere place an’ decided to put it to good use!” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo proudly stood up in front of Sweetie Belle and Silver.

“Yeah, and we were keeping it secret so we could surprise you for your birthday,” Scootaloo added.

“But my birthday isn’t until tomorrow,” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

“Oh. Um, well… you can think of it as an early birthday present, from me and Apple Bloom to you! Happy early birthday!”

“So, what are we waiting for?”

The three fillies rapidly sped to the center of the field, Silver close behind them, not exactly understanding what to do next other than to follow.

Stopping in the middle of the field, the colt noticed— though a bit late— that the three fillies were inhaling quite a bit of air. Perhaps it would have been best to cover his ears before the three ponies next spoke— or, perhaps more accurately, screamed loud enough to blow out the eardrums of anypony nearby:

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS, START CRUSADING!”

Author's Note:

Second Chapter! So, anyone have any ideas on who this colt could really be? No? Well, maybe in the next chapter, you will know. Maybe. :ajsmug: