• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 4,212 Views, 108 Comments

CMC Changeling Protectors - contodaslasganas



The Crusaders find a young colt crying behind a bush and befriend him, but is there more to him than meets the eye? How will the fillies react when he reveals his true identity? Can they protect him from his own kind, or worse, from the Elements?

  • ...
9
 108
 4,212

Silver Flame (Edited 2014-10-04 03:19 EST)

“Aww, and Ah was so sure, too!”

Apple Bloom trudged along the worn path as she led the way back to the clubhouse. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo walked alongside her, helping her carry a long coil of rope and some metal rods (courtesy of Rarity).

Today’s failed attempt at getting a cutie mark? Tightrope walking.

“Well, I’m just glad that no one got hurt,” Sweetie Belle replied.

“Oh, stop being such a worrywart, Sweetie. You have to be fearless, like me!” Scootaloo stroke a valiant pose, with one hoof outstretched to the sky above, only to trip on the rope she was carrying. Her wings vainly attempted to stop her descent as she landed muzzle-first onto the dirt.

Like all good friends, the other two crusaders laughed uncontrollably as they helped their companion back up. “Ya sure ya didn’t mean clumsy?”

Scootaloo scowled at Apple Bloom's remark, but she soon joined in the laughter, unable to withstand its infectious nature.

“Well, come on! Let’s go before it gets dark!” With a small skip, Sweetie Belle hopped on forward, and the group happily continued down the dirt road. All the while, Scootaloo was lost in her thoughts, ruling out options and fabricating new ones…

*sniff*

Sweetie Belle’s ears caught a soft sound by chance, but a quick glance did not reveal its source. Puzzled, she decided to ignore it for the time being.

“I know what we haven’t done yet! We c—”

SNIFFLE

“Hey, did you hear that?”

“Hear what, Sweetie Belle?” Apple Bloom turned back to Sweetie Belle, who had stopped in her tracks. “I didn’t hear n—”

SNIFFLE

There it was again, and this time all three of them cocked their ears towards it.

“I think it came from over there.”

They approached a small bush a couple of hoof-lengths away. In every way, this bush was nothing extraordinary…

SNIFFLE

Except for the leaves it shed due to some unknown force.

“It sounds like…” Sweetie Belle couldn’t quite figure it out, and so she slowly approached the origin of the sound. The other two crusaders followed suit. Step by step, the sound grew louder and louder, if only by a decibel. The unicorn inquisitively twisted her head around the bush, and before her lay a truly heart-wrenching image.

Behind the bush lay a small colt about her age, his aquamarine coat and silver mane peppered with dirt and small cuts. His horn, oddly enough, was a dim gray, devoid of that cheerful color that spread through the rest of his fur.

But it was the shaking that truly struck a chord in Sweetie's heart. The colt was trembling as if out of fear, attempting vainly to control those salty streams that leaked from his eyes. Small whimpers managed to escape his muffled mouth despite his efforts, and there was no sign of stopping.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo could only watch in bewilderment, but Sweetie couldn’t take it any longer: she walked right up to the colt, sat down beside him and placed a hoof on his shoulder.

“Now, what’s the matter? Why are you crying?” Sweetie Belle had almost acquired a motherly tone, the kindness in her voice somehow calming down the small, quivering figure.

That light touch on his shoulder…

Run, quickly! Someone has spotted you! Run and d—

But then he heard that sound, that voice that calmed his nerves, that beautiful voice that seemed to almost carry him away from his problems. Safety, reassurance… that's what the colt thought as he inched towards this new pony and hugged her, all the while letting his sadness fade away. Sweetie Belle simply reciprocated his action, placing her hooves around the colt as she soothed him with her voice. His eyes slowly cleared up as the tears disappeared; minutes passed, but it seemed much longer… especially for Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, who stood there awkwardly behind Sweetie Belle, not exactly knowing what to do. The colt, now with renewed energy, let go and took in his surroundings: he was in an open area with three fillies around him. He turned first to Sweetie Belle, then to Apple Bloom, then to Scootaloo, and then back to Sweetie.

“Thank you very much, Miss, for comforting me. I am sorry, but I have to go.”

I can’t get them involved. It would be too dangerous for them.

“Wait, where ya goin’?” Apple Bloom was suddenly in front of the colt, cutting off his path.

“Yeah, why were you crying? Did you get hit in the head or something?” Scootaloo moved swiftly to his side, stopping the colt from using it as an alternate escape route.

“I… I’m sorry, but I cannot say. It’s too painful for me to think about now. Still, I thank you for everything, and may you have a good day.”

“Well, then at least let us take you back home! Do you live around here?” Sweetie Belle replied.

Hesitation overtook the small foal. Furrowing his brow as he fought internally over whether to divulge such information, he decided to provide only the bare minimum.

“No, I don’t live around here. I live quite far away… or at least I used to…

Only Sweetie Belle caught that last part, and so she made the colt an offer to help.

“So, you don’t have a place to stay that’s nearby, and it’s getting awfully dark. How about you stay at my place? I’m sure Rarity won’t mind an extra pony in her boutique.”

“Or ya can stay in the barn with me and my sis!”

“Or you c—”

“NO! I-I mean…” The colt hastily cleared his throat and continued: “No, I’m sorry, but nopony must know that I am here for… reasons I would not like to share just yet.”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo shared the same thought, though it was Scootaloo who talked first.

“What do you mean by ‘re—’”

“Of course, we understand, but you’re still going to need a place to stay. Hmm…”

One hoof on her chin, Sweetie Belle thought and thought… and came up with the perfect solution.

“I know, why don’t you stay at our clubhouse? Nopony ever goes there unless we invite them, and only a few ponies live near there.”

“That’s a great idea, Sweetie Belle!” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo shouted.

“A-Are you sure I wouldn’t be imposing? I wouldn’t like to get you fillies in trouble on m–”

“What’re ya talkin’ about? It’s the perfect plan,” Apple Bloom reassured the colt.

“So, what do you say, are you in?” Scootaloo stuck out her hoof towards the silver-maned foal, smiling warmly.

The colt looked at all three, and a small smile began to form in the corners of his mouth as he shook Scootaloo’s hoof.

“I accept, but I will not be living for free. I will find some way to work so I c–”

“Nonsense!” Apple Bloom interrupted. “We’re yer friends now, and we’re gonna make sure ya have enough to eat an’ everything.”

“Yeah, you don’t have to worry, we’ll help you any way we can!” Sweetie Belle’s voice never failed to calm the greenish-blue colt, who could only smile at this overwhelming feeling that coursed through his body as he looked at the three fillies.

Friends… I have friends…

He smiled. He felt happy… and yet he couldn’t quite place the reason for it. The colt thanked all three fillies for their kindness, and the four walked on towards the clubhouse.

“So,” the colt timidly asked, “what are your names?”

Scootaloo quickly took the reigns. “Well, I’m Scootaloo, the second-most awesome pegasus with the fastest wheels in Equestria! The first-most awesome, of course, is Rainbow Dash, the fastest in all of Equestria, no, of all t—”

“Ahem!”

“Oh, sorry, Apple Bloom. I guess I got a bit carried away. This here’s Apple Bloom, and this is Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie Belle… So that’s her name. It fits her voice perfectly.

“By the way, we never got your name,” Scootaloo remarked to the new addition.

“Well, everypony would always call me 1349 back where I come from.”

Apple Bloom suddenly moved to the colt’s right. “What kind’ah name is that?”

“Apple Bloom! That’s so inconsiderate!”

“No, no, don’t worry, it’s okay,” the colt replied. “Where I live, everypony gets a different number as a name.”

“Hmm… Ah know, how’s about we give ya a new name?”

“Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle glared at the earth pony, but the colt reassured Sweetie that it was no problem.

“I think that may be a good idea. I never really did like being called 1349. Any ideas?”

“Are you sure? Wouldn’t your parents be mad if you go back with a new name?”

At Sweetie’s mention of his parents, the colt’s face betrayed a hint of sadness.

“No, they would be fine with it. There’s no problem there.” The four continued walking to the clubhouse as the three fillies rattled their minds, attempting to come up with a name befitting their new friend.

“Green Coat! No… Green Lightning! No…”

“Scootaloo, Ah can’t think if you keep shouting out names!”

“But thinking aloud is how I come up with my best ideas! Remember that time wh—”

“How about ‘Silver Flame’?” Sweetie Belle proposed. The other three ponies stared at her questioningly. “I mean, look at his mane.”

His mane was standing up on end, swaying in the waning sunlight, shining fluidly from top to bottom. It was true: his mane did look like a fire— a calm, warming flame on the back of the unicorn foal.

“I think… I like it,” the colt responded, smiling bashfully at the one who gave him his name.

“Okay, then, Silvah Flame it is!” Apple Bloom began to bounce around uncontrollably as she arrived at the club house. “Come on, come on, Silvah! Dont’cha wanna look inside?”

The other three followed her in, and Silver was, to put it in one word, astonished! The clubhouse was actually quite spacious, sufficiently large enough to house at least one colt. Myriads of drawings depicting a blue pegasus draped the walls, and in the center of the back wall there hung a portrait of some old piece of parchment. He could only read the word “Cutie” before his attention was disrupted.

BAM

“Sorry!” Scootaloo lay atop a huge pile of random items, from wooden planks to tennis balls to large helmets.

“I remember it was somewhere around h— Found it!” She quickly pulled out a sleeping bag and a pillow from the mess and threw them towards Silver.

“So, here’s what you’ll be sleeping on tonight. Also, I got some chips, a sandwich, and some soda on that far table. Eat as much as you want! It’s getting late, so I’ll have to go now.” Scootaloo mounted her scooter, making sure that Silver was watching.

“See ya!”

A quick flap of wings mustered a small gust of wind, and in less than a second, she was an orange blur off in the distance.

W-What speed!

“Yeah, she likes to ride it fast. Makes her feel like she’s flyin’. But sometimes she can be a bit of a show-off, especially around new ponies,” Apple Bloom commented.

So… But she’s a pegasus… maybe she can’t fly yet? I have heard of such cases…

By then, a small pang of guilt had begun to build up inside Silver. A pegasus with so many possibilities… and his presence could completely dash all of her dreams…

“Anyways, Ah have to go help my sis bring in the last batch of apples ‘fore it gets too dark! See y’all later, Sweetie, Silvah!” With that, Apple Bloom scampered off in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Yeah, and I have to go back to check if my sister needs help with her work.” Sweetie Belle slowly walked towards the door behind her and was ready to leave… but Silver’s thoughts were much faster.

They seem so happy… and my presence could ruin it all…

But they said it was fine.

But I’m now their friend. Friends are supposed to be… open with each other… right?

That word, “friend.” That one word somehow held power over him as the guilt increased exponentially, gnawing at his insides unlike anything he had ever felt before…

“Wait, Sweetie Belle! I-I need to tell you something.”

“What is it, Silver?”

“I…”

Silence. The guilt still clawed away inside him, but his brain would not obey.

No… If I tell her everything, she’ll be in too much danger…

But she’s already in danger just by my being here…

“... Silver? SILVER!”

The shout broke through to him, and he looked at Sweetie only to notice that she was right in front of him, one hoof on his head.

“Silver, you just stopped talking. Are you okay? Are you hurt? It doesn’t seem like you have a fever. Maybe I should take you to the d—”

“No, no, it’s just…”

His eyes got lost in Sweetie’s, and for a moment his thoughts faltered. Meanwhile, Sweetie Belle felt her cheeks grow the tiniest bit warm as an unexpected feeling began to wash over her, something unknown that made her feel even happier than before…

Silver’s train of thought internally rammed into his brain as the pang of guilt resurfaced.

“I… I have to tell you the truth. I no longer have a home or a place to stay. I can’t go back to where I came from, I just… I just…” Silver looked up at those caring eyes, and he felt that familiar calmness rush over him. “I promise, I’ll tell you and your friends later about why this is happening, but I need a place to stay for a while, at least until I find some oth–”

Sweetie Belle simply smiled.

“Don’t worry, Silver, you can stay here for as long as you want. I’ll just tell Scootaloo and Apple Bloom when I have the chance. Now, sleep tight! See you later, Silver!”

She took her time to leave, her joy decreasing in the slightest with every hoofstep until she finally closed the door softly behind her.

And Silver once again found himself alone with his thoughts…

Alone with that small pit in his stomach that never disappeared.

Maybe… some rest…

He slipped into the sleeping bag and closed his eyes, waiting for sleep to overtake his senses.

Tomorrow will be a new day…

I’ll see my father again. We’ll escape this fate we were cursed with…

And maybe, just maybe, we’ll finally be free.

Author's Note:

My third fic! Comments appreciated :twilightsmile: