• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 2,037 Views, 73 Comments

Character Unlocked: Button Mash! - 4428Gamer



A high school student/family business assistant turns into every pony's favorite Button Mash! And it gets worse!

  • ...
7
 73
 2,037

Game Guide, thy name is Button Mash!

"Hey...Hey buddy...Zeke?...You awake?...Hello?! Zeke, wake up! K.K. Slider's about to start playing!...Ugh! Hey Tapper? Can I get a chocolate milkshake?!

Trsssssssssshhh...cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-Ting!

"Thanks!"

"Huh...W-what's going on?..."

As I started waking up, I heard some odd singing in the background. Along with some talking around the room and the sound of something being poured out and sliding down a counter. I was face down on the wooden counter, and still a little out of it. So I just tried focusing on one thing at a time. The first thing being the music that was playing since it was the loudest.

"Oh! And another one for Zeke?!"

"Huh?" I asked, wondering just who was saying my name. The voice sounded high-pitched and whiny, while my voice-well at least the few words I've said-sounded like my normal voice. Which was completely different than Button's voice, as it was deeper.

Trsssssssssshhh...cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-crash!

"Ahehehe...Zeke, you were supposed to catch it before it slid off the table..." The voice instructed me before calling out again. "Can we have...Just one more?" The voice asked sheepishly.

And after a huff of annoyance, the sound of a mug being filled up came again. Followed by the mug sliding down the bar table I was still resting my head at. Only this time, the one who was next to me, caught it for me.

"I got it. Here ya go." The voice told me, nudging the mug ever so slightly. That way the mug would come right in front of me and I could catch it. Sadly, I was just raising my head and adjusting to the lights that were above me. So I didn't have time to catch it as it just started sliding past me again.

"Ah! Hold on!" The voice said, passing by me as he caught up to the mug that had gained a little speed in its sliding. "That was close..." Too bad his mug started sliding in the other direction.

"Hey! I'm still drinking that!" It said in a whiny tone, running past me again to catch up with his milkshake. But just as he stopped that one, the opposite mug started moving again.

"Just how slick are these tables?!" The voice yelled in annoyance as it stopped behind me and turned around to face his cup. Which was nearing the edge of the table by this point. So forgetting about my mug entirely, he just ran back over to his and dived for the end of the table. Catching his mug just barely before it shattered on the ground.

Crash!

Too bad no one was there to catch the other mug as it shattered on the other side of the table where the bartender, Tapper, was standing.

The voice just chuckled weakly as it came back over to sit with me. Tapper simply filling up the fourth and final mug and walking over to us. Placing it in front of me instead of sliding it down. Then he just walked over and started cleaning a random mug with a rag from his back pocket.

"Thanks Tapper!" The voice called out, sitting right beside me on a barstool just like me. Taking a sip of its milkshake.

By this point, I had woken up enough to see just what was going on. For some reason, me and Button were both sitting in Tapper's. Facing towards a stage where K.K. Slider was playing a song. Ironically, my favorite one out of all the songs he played. Of course, it was about to end by this point.

But of course, it was only more confusing as I looked around. Because all around me were familiar video game related faces. Sly Cooper and his gang drinking from mugs of lemonade, Nathan Drake was drinking what I guessed was normal alcohol, then Wreck-it-Ralph, who was having some root beer. Spread around an entire table towards the back was Master Chief and a few soldiers from some random war game all chugging beer.

There were multiple familiar faces all around the place, and the one who had been beside me the whole time was no exception.

Button Mash.

"Finally! I thought you were just going to sit there like a Deku on a Log!" He told me with a smile. "Nice ta meet ya!"

"Huh? Button Mash? But...I thought I was..." I lifted a hand to touch my face, only to see it was back to normal. My nose, my hair, even my beard was all there like normal. I was in normal clothes too. Jeans, my usual tennis shoes, a solid grey shirt and my usual black zip-up hoodie I always wore.

"Yeah, it's pretty confusing to me too..." He said, taking another sip. "Oh, and be careful of milkshakes. They can give you the worst headaches."

"Uh...Yeah, I know. Everyone knows that..." I said, taking a sip of mine regardless. This was all so confusing right now, and none of it was adding up. Just a minute ago, I was on a skateboard getting help from a moron, and now I was here in a video game bar. What?

Apparently, Button saw just how confused I was and tapped me on the shoulder. "Don't worry, it's just a dream. At least, that's what I think it is."

I looked towards him with confusion. How did he know it was a dream? And how come all this was happening? I never got lucid dreams before. Sure I remembered a few here and there, but...Never like this.

"How's come you're so calm about it?" I asked, looking at him with concern.

"Because I've been here since you woke up this morning." He told me, taking another sip before smiling wide. "And I'll just tell you right now, it's great! It's like every game you've played, I can live through! I woke up in here and went through the mighty land in the sky, Skyloft! Slaying all the evil of the dreaded Heartless while fighting off Nordic Mercenaries that were just walking down the road! Then after I defeated them all, I got a letter of a land from below called Dwarf Fortress! And when I got there, they asked me to help the Hero of Rock, Eddie Riggs! And then-"

"Okay, I get it!" I said, cutting him off before his whining, high-pitched voice ruined my ears. "I get it, you've been having fun. Just, please not right now." I told him, taking another sip of my milkshake. "I've been having disaster after disaster trying to adjust to being you."

"Oh yeah! So, did you get the ice cream?!" He asked, now really excited about that part of it all.

"No. That idiot that was trying to help me made me face plant on the ground." I said with an annoyed attitude. "Why did I even go after that stupid ice cream truck?! There was no way I was going to catch it anyway and-wait...How did you know about that?"

"Huh? Oh right. Well, since I'm in your head, it's like I'm watching a...Watching a...What was it called again?...Oh yeah, a Let's Play! I've just been watching every once in a while, and after I helped Eddie with the Raving Rabbid problem, I wanted to see how you were doing! Then when you heard the ice cream truck it was way more fun to watch!"

"So...You were spectating?" I asked, giving him a deadpanned expression. Well that's just great. All the pain I'm going through, and Button just gets to sit in my head and watch me suffer!

"Well, yeah I guess you could say I was...Hey, are you okay?" He asked, giving me a confused and slightly concerned look.

"Okay? Yeah, I'm...*Yawn* I'm fine, why..." I said, suddenly feeling tired. There wasn't even any warning to it, I was just tired. I tried taking another sip of the milkshake to stay awake, but that wasn't working at all. "I'm just a little ti...Little tire...You know, I think I'm just going to rest here for a little bit..."

"Are you sure that you're..." But before Button could even ask, I fell back to the table. Falling asleep instantly and making the milkshake fall to the floor ahead of me. Once I was asleep, I just faded away from Tapper's because I was starting to wake back up instead of being in literal Dream Land.

Button looked up from where I was, only to see Tapper standing there with a frown. "Uh...Since this is his mind and all, that means I don't have to pay right?" All he got from Tapper was a shake of the head and him holding out his hand. Expecting to be given money for all the shattered cups and chocolate milkshake that had been used up.

Button sighed as he gave Tapper his whole bag of multiple types of currency. Bits, Normal Cash, Rupies, and Septims alike. "I guess not. Okay fine, I'll just go over to Cooking Mama's for lunch." He said, walking off. And that was how The Hero of All Games, was defeated by a mere Barkeeper who was not cheap in any way, shape, or form.