• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 2,380 Views, 68 Comments

Whenever there's trouble, there's always a Silver Lining - the silver-maned pony



What happens when a brony gets a wish-granting angel coin? The obvious answer would be that he would wish to go to Equestria, but no. And what happens if he has a polar opposite best friend? This is your average HiE, but with a twist.

  • ...
10
 68
 2,380

Chp 6: Manehattan=What?! part 2

The six pony friends and dragon were having the time of their lives as they sailed on a large yacht. Rarity was still singing about the wonders of Manehattan and the rest of the ponies were staring at a giant, green statue of a green robed pony. As they marveled at the architecture masterpiece, Twilight said, “This, Silver, is called the Statue of Harmony. It is a neoclassical architecture design and was built roughly two hundred years ago.” She turned to her right, “It was a present from-”

Twilight stopped talking when she realized that her student was not standing next to her.

“Have you seen Silver?” Twilight asked Rainbow Dash, who was on her other side.

“He’s probably in the bathroom or something.” Dash said, slightly distracted by the amazing view.

“I think I’m gonna go find him.” Twilight said. She began to walk away, but Dash said, “Relax, Twi. Silver is a big human, I think. I’m pretty sure he can take care of himself.”
________________________________________
Silver was currently at what appeared to be a strip mall. He noticed that all of the ponies were staring at him. This would have been strange, but since Silver was currently screaming names as he ran fearfully from unseen forces, it was understandable.

“TWILIGHT!” the disguised human yelled, “RARITY, RAINBOW DASH, APPLEJACK, PINKIE PIE, FLUTTERSHY!” The panic within Silver was rising quickly. He was becoming more and more desperate, “SPIKE!”

A door to a coffee shop opened and a pony stepped out, holding a cup of coffee. Silver wasn’t looking where he was going, so he crashed into the unsuspecting shopper. As they collided the coffee cup was sent flying above. As the cup fell, Silver, with his disguised human arm and fingers, managed to catch the cup.

“Did you see that?!” Silver asked the pony, who had a light cyan mane, a light amberish gray coat and a sailor collar, “I actually caught this thing! That was probably the coolest thing I’ve ever did!”

Thankfully, the human’s amazing feat caused him to forget his troubles. The shopper groaned as she got back onto her hooves.

“I’m really sorry about.” Silver said, holding up the coffee (he wondered how he looked to other ponies as he held the cup with his fingers).

“Don’t worry.” She said, “It was my fault.”

She went to grab the coffee, but Silver took it out of her reach.

“Whoa, hold up.” Silver said, raising an eyebrow, “How is it your fault? I was the one who crashed to you.”

“I don’t know. It just is.” The pony said dismissively, “Can I just please just have back the coffee?”

“Not until you insult me for running into you.” Silver said stubbornly, holding the coffee over his head.

The pony now looked annoyed and scared. She sighed, “Um, watch where you’re going, um, you, um, jerk?”

“Okay.” Silver said, smiling. He handed back the coffee to the pony. She bowed her head and walked away, but not before giving Silver a ‘You’re strange’ look. Silver, however, just smiled and waved goodbye. He was always a guy that tried to give shy people some back-bone, but the shy people were usually put off by his unorthodox technique.

It was then that Silver heard the most relieving noise he ever heard; Rarity’s singing. He sprinted toward the source and found Rarity swinging around a lamp post. He then saw the girls finish their song and he silently joined them. Next thing he knew, they were all someplace different, but he didn’t care. All he cared about was that he was no longer alone.

“So, what do you think of Manehattan?” Twilight asked Silver, completely oblivious that he was gone.

“Interesting.” Silver said.

“Great, because you’ll be taking a test on Manehattan when we return home.”

‘Buck!' Silver thought. He thought about telling Twilight that he was lost during her lesson, but he knew she would either get angry with herself or with him, so he kept his mouth shut.

Twilight turned to Rarity, “Is there anything left to do we can help you with?”

“Nothing I can think of.” Rarity said. She then went on to explain to her friends all about her new dresses and material. Silver, not being that interested in fashion, looked around the area. Now that he wasn’t panicking, he could actually enjoy the city. He looked up at the clear blue and was surprised that rain clouds were quickly forming.

“Um, Twilight, what’s happening?” Silver asked his mentor.

It was then that his ear’s shattered when Rarity screamed, “TAXI!”

“What’s happening?” Silver cried; he had momentarily gone slightly deaf.

“Rarity has ten minutes to make it to the fashion show.” Applejack answered as they all ran to their friend. Silver followed and they soon found a taxi, but it had the longest line they’ve ever seen.

Twilight walked up to the pony who was the first in line, “Please won't you let her have this taxi? She has somewhere very important to be right away!”

The pony said, “Not likely! She can get in line like the rest of us!”

“Whoa! Hold up!” Silver told the pony, “Do you know who this is? This is Princess Twilight Sparkle!”

“I doubt it.” The pony said obnoxiously, “She’s the fifth ‘Twilight Sparkle’ I’ve seen today.” He then pointed to a corner, and the group was surprised to see three ponies cosplaying as the alicorn princess.

The pony turned to Twilight, “I have to say that your costume needs the most work.”

“Okay, buddy,” Silver said, now very annoyed, “there’s no need to be a dick.”

“Easy, Silver.” Twilight said, sensing her pupil’s hostility, “We’ll just need to find another taxi.”

“But where?” Rainbow said, “It’s like ever pony in Manehattan wants a cab.”

It was at that moment that another taxi appeared in front of them. The driver flashed a friendly grin to the ponies, “New wheel works like a charm. So now which of you nice folks are hoppin' in?”

Rarity immediately jumped on the cab, “Fashion runway plaza in seven minutes. Can you make it?”

“Hang on!” the cabbie said before rocketing to the plaza.

The human, dragon, and ponies sighed in relief.

“It’s a good thing that Rarity already dropped off her dresses at the plaza, huh?” Silver said. He turned to the rest, and was surprised to see their shocked faces,

“THE DRESSES!” they all shouted.

“What about the dresses?”

“They’re still at the hotel!” Twilight said.

Silver saw the ponies devising up plans to get the dresses from the hotel to the plaza. He then saw that the jerk pony was getting on the cab.

“Do y’all trust me?” Silver asked the group.

“What?” they said

“Do y’all trust me?” he repeated.

They all shared an expression. Twilight said, “Um, yes? Why wouldn’t we?”

“Okay then.” Silver said. He took a deep breath before sprinting to the jerk pony on the cab. He jumped into the cab, pushed the pony out, and turned to his friends, “GET IN NOW!”

The ponies were so shocked that they just followed his lead and jumped into the cab.

“TO THE MANE FAIR HOTEL!” Silver commanded the cabbie, who merely shrugged and took off.
________________________________________
The group got to the hotel in record time. After a quick scramble and argument, Silver grabbed the rack where the dresses were hanging and ran out of the motel.

Twilight ran after Silver, “Where are you going?!”

“I’m taking the dresses to the plaza!” Silver answered, racing through crowds of ponies.

“But you don’t know where it is!”

“Trust me!”

Silver rounded a corner and then entered an alley way. He took the angel coin off his necklace,

“I wish me and the dresses were at the fashion runway plaza where Rarity is at. Right!” he flipped the coin and then caught it; he looked at it and saw the angel using its right arm.

Silver looked up and he knew he was at the entrance to the plaza. He entered with the dresses and saw Rarity sobbing on the floor.

“Are you going to start singing about your ruined life now?” Silver asked.

Rarity looked up and was about to say something, but she stopped when she saw the rack of dresses. Her face lit up, “Thank you so much!” Rarity gave the human a quick hug before taking the rack and running through a pair of double doors.

Silver stood at the entrance, proud of his action. It was then that he realized that he had no idea how to make it back to the hotel. He thought about using another wish, but decided to just wait until Rarity was finished with her business so she could lead the way back to the hotel.

The entrance door opened and Silver turned around to see who entered. It was the same mare he bumped into earlier today. She was still carrying the coffee, but she was now also carrying piles of bags on her back.

“Do you need any help?” Silver asked.

“No, I’m okay.” She replied.

“Well too bad, because you’re getting my help.” Silver said before taking a couple of bags off her back.

The pony stared at him, “Then why would you ask if I wanted your help?”

“Common courtesy.”

“It really is unnecessary,” she smiled, “but thank you. My name is Coco Pommel.” She held up a hoof.

Silver took the hoof, “My name is Silver Lining. So, where are we taking these bags?”

“To Suri Polomare. She’s my employer, and she doesn’t like to be kept waiting.”

With that, the two quickened their steps and entered through the double doors. The room they entered was huge. Silver could see the runway where models walked on and behind it was the backstage area. The rest of the room was taken up by stands for the audience to sit in.

Coco led Silver to what appeared to be a dressing room,

“You could leave the stuff here. I can handle the rest.”

“You sure?”

“Yes, and thanks again.”

“No problem. By the way, do you know where the contestants are?”

“Check the rest of the dressing rooms. They’re probably putting their finishing touches on their designs.”

“Thank you.” Silver waved goodbye to Coco before walking to the rooms next door. After the third try, Silver found Rarity talking to a pink pony.

Silver knocked on the door, “Hey, how’s it going?”

Rarity turned and smiled, “Silver, so glad you’re here.” She turned and pointed to the pink pony, “This is Suri Polomare; an old acquaintance of mine.”

“Charmed.” Suri said, giving Silver a pleasant smile. Human couldn’t help but get a strange vibe from Suri. He chalked it up to his paranoia and ignored it.

“Do you need any more help, Rarity?” Silver asked.

“Don’t worry, darling. I’m just fine.”

“I’m glad you are.” Suri said, “I can’t find the right accent for my dresses.” She then turned to Rarity’s dresses, “Wow, this is simply amazing. Do you mind if I take just a swatch?”

“Of course not, I have loads more. Let me just find a roll…”

“Is this it?” Silver asked, holding up a roll of wavy, purple material.

“That’s it.” Rarity said, “Do you mind giving some to Suri?”

“Okay.” Silver said. He tore of a small strip and handed it to Suri, “Here you go.”

Suri took the strip, “Thank you, but do you mind if I just get a bit more?”

Silver raised an eyebrow, “I thought you just wanted a swatch?”

“Yes, of course, but this,” she held up the strip, “it’s more of a thread.”

“Come now, Silver,” Rarity said, taking the whole roll and handing it to Suri, “there’s no need to be so stingy.”

“Thank you very much, Rarity.” Suri said gratefully.

“Don’t think about it.” Rarity said. She then turned to Silver, “I think I’ll have to ask Twilight if I can teach you a thing or two about generosity.”

Silver shrugged, “She asked for a swatch, so I gave her a swatch.”

“Sometimes, it’s best to give others more than what they ask for.”

“Whatever you say.” Silver said. He turned to Suri, but she was gone.

“Where did Suri go?”

“Probably to go and work on her dresses.” Rarity said, “Do you mind waiting for me while I go and finish up my work here?”

“No problem.” Silver said. He walked outside, but then walked down the wall of dressing rooms. He was sure that there was only one Suri Polomare in the fashion contest, so he went to Coco’s room. He couldn’t explain it, but something about Suri seemed off. He was probably wrong, but he just wanted to make sure Suri was not going to be a threat to Rarity.

As he got closer to the room, Suri and Coco exited it. Silver quickly hid behind conveniently placed boxes and observed the pair. Suri was carrying Rarity’s fabric on her back and she was holding a cup of coffee. Coco was carrying all of Suri’s belongings on her back.

“I still can’t believe how easy it was to get that hick to give me her fabric.” Suri said in an obnoxious voice, “It just goes to show you that she doesn’t belong. You better remember Coco; this is no place for the weak and generous.” She took a sip from her coffee and immediately spat it out, “What is this?!” she said, turning to her assistant.

“Um, hot coffee?” Coco said.

“Warm coffee!” Suri said, “What good to me is it to me warm?” and she dumped the coffee on Coco’s head.

“Hey!” Silver shouted, running toward them, “What the hell was that for?!”

Suri turned to Silver and adopted her kind voice again, “Oh, don’t worry. Poor, clumsy Coco just spilled some coffee on herself. Right, Coco?”

Coco just nodded her head in agreement.

“Like hell she spilled it on herself.” Silver said, “I saw that you dumped it on her.”

“I don’t know what-”

“Cut the crap, Suri. I knew there was something strange about you, but I never took you for a bitch.”

“Excuse me” Suri said, her kind voice gone now, “What did you call me?”

“You heard me. And where I come, bitches don’t get gifts.” He quickly grabbed Rarity’s fabric and took it. Suri, however, grabbed it as well and began to pull. Silver wondered how Suri had a strong grip without fingers. Suri then yelled, “Security!”

“Silver, what are you doing?!”

Silver turned and saw Rarity looking shocked as two beefy looking pony security guards came.

“What is the problem here?” one of the security guards said. He then turned to Rarity, “Do you know him?”

Before Rarity could answer, Silver said, “She doesn’t know me, and I don’t know her.”

“Then why does she know you’re name?” the other security guard said.

Silver grinned, “She doesn’t. She probably just saw my silver hair, so she called me Silver. The white unicorn stranger is in no way responsible for me. I’m just a crazy pony that hates fashion.”

“Then we’ll have to ask you to leave.”

“I could do that, but because I’m crazy…” he punched one of the guards in the face and ran away, leaving behind three confused mares and two confused guards.
________________________________________
The doors to the fashion plaza opened and Silver went flying out of them and onto the Manehattan streets.

“And stay out!” the security guards said before slamming the doors behind them.

Silver groaned as he got to his feet, “I just got thrown out of a fashion runway by two pony security guards. What the hell did I do in the past life to deserve this?”

Author's Note:

Just to clarify, Silver is still human. He didn't transform into a pony, but other ponies just think he looks like one.