• Published 17th Feb 2017
  • 581 Views, 32 Comments

The Legend of Steele Breaker: Book One-The Twisted Queen - duvagr007



In the town of Dale, a young colt, barely on the cusp of stallionhood, is thrust into a world full of danger, wonder, and adventure.

  • ...
4
 32
 581

Ch. 3: Camp Nocturna

Chapter 3

In which a battle is waged.

Steele looked around at the building that currently sheltered Starswirl, Ember, and himself. It had been completely emptied of heavy furnishings, only decorations left upon the walls. A few windows dotted the outer walls, granting a view into the street and the camp. Though, to call the garrison of Legion soldiers a 'camp' wouldn't have been quite accurate. All they had really done was build makeshift walls out of furniture across several streets and occupy the homes within. Still, it worked, and it was the only safe area in Dale. In talking with Starswirl, they had learned that the Nocturnal Legion had arrived several hours ago, clearing and then occupying this area of town. Luna herself had ordered the march, and Celestia had simply opted to send him along as a sort of adviser the the Pilus Prior. Steele wasn't too well versed on military rank within the Legion, but he deduced that the Pilus was at the very least in command of the Cohort. Starswirl was all to happy to clear everything up for him.

"- Prior is a rank given to a pony in command of a Cohort within the Legion, of which there are ten. They are ranked from first to tenth, with each successive Pilus dropping in rank from the former. The First cohort at the head, the tenth at the rear. The Pilus Prior in charge of the First Cohort is given the special rank of Primus Pilus. Under each of these, you have their five Centurions, who command 100 soldiers each. They are ranked from 'top to bottom' in the same way that..." and so he droned, on and on about the ranks of the Legion. Steele was interested for sure, but Starswirl wasn't very animated. He spoke as though reading straight from a scroll. Steele looked over at Ember, who was fast asleep on a bed roll that had been set out on the floor, likely for one of the soldiers. As he stared at her, Starswirl still rambling on in the background, the gravity of the situation finally began to set in.

His uncle, and countless other ponies, were dead. It seemed he and Ember were the only two left alive, and if it hadn't been for Chroma Dusk, they wouldn't have made it either. The creatures that did this... that monstrosity that crushed his uncle... it was like something out of a nightmare. The more he thought about it, the more pained images of screaming ponies flashed into his mind, blood and flame clouding his thoughts. He began panting, his breathing becoming labored and his heart rate trying to beat free of his chest. Eyes wide, his mind had gone into shock. All he could see were their faces. Blood and panicked faces with empty eyes. Hundreds of lives ended. A whole town, families, mares, foals. Like ghosts they haunted him. Screaming. Endless screaming, though their cries had ceased long ago.

"Steele!" His head snapped up, breathing still labored, but returning to normal. Starswirl was looking at him, hoof on his shoulder, and concern plastered across his face. "Here, drink this. It'll help you to take your mind off of things." The old wizard passed Steele a small cup of amber colored liquid in his magic. Steele took it and drank, almost instantly feeling better as a warmth spread through his body. It tasted like apple, but with something else mixed in. It took a moment, but Steele finally realized it was cider. He could tell it wasn't anything hard, at least not very, but it did the trick.

"I... thank you. I just couldn't stop seeing their faces. So many dead ponies..." Starswirl nodded in understanding, and took the now empty cup from Steele, setting it aside.

"I understand, believe me. As all stallions, I served my time with the Legion, so I am no stranger to death. Their faces will stay with you, for as long as you live. They will fade with time, but never completely. There were times when I asked Luna to block my dreams for a few nights, so I could simply rest. Tell me, you are eighteen are you not?" Steele nodded, and the wizard gave a slight smile. "Then you will find out soon enough what I speak of." The young stallion simply nodded again, knowing full well what Starswirl meant. Every Stallion, once they reach eighteen, would be drafted into the Legion to serve for 25 years, guarding Equestria and fighting her foes.

In truth, it was baffling that he had not yet received a letter from the Legion Drafting Station in the area. This being the one in the capitol, they were not known to take their time with things, and he had turned eighteen nearly three months ago now. Still, that wasn't very important right now, so Steele pushed it to the back of his mind.

"So, what now?" Starswirl didn't respond immediately, instead choosing to walk over the one of the windows looking out into the street. Nocturnal Legionaires were hustling about, shoring up defenses, changing posts, moving more pilum to the walls, and several other tasks that needed doing to 'hold down the fort', as it were. It seemed they were trying to take advantage of the lull in attacks that had been going on since early morning. It seemed the bugs didn't much care to attack during the daylight hours. Though, they would likely return soon, as night was nearly upon them. After a moment, the Wizard turned and faced Steele.

"We will have to stay here until most of the enemy has been cleared out. They can't spare us an escort to the castle, and I don't want to risk teleportation with your friend's condition. Once the Pilus deems it safe enough, he'll send a few soldiers to guide us to safety. Until then, we need only wait out of the way." Steele nodded in understanding. He didn't much care for sitting out and doing nothing, but it would likely be best to leave the fighting to the trained soldiers. "By the way," the Wizard spoke up again. "Can I ask you a question? You needn't answer should you not wish to, but I'm curious."

"I... yeah. I suppose so, ask away." Starswirl moved to speak, but was interrupted as a roar and a huge crash was heard from the south. Steele jumped up and rushed to the window, looking down the street to the intersection. A cloud of dust was covering the road, and dark forms were passing swiftly through it. In the distance, he heard a soldier shouting.

"The northern wall has been breached! Retreat! Retreat!" Several stallions came running down the road to the breach in an effort to stem the tide of bugs pouring through. Most only lasted a few moments. Suddenly, the door burst open and Decanus Chroma Dusk ran into the house.

"We need to get all three of you out of here right away. Follow me." Starswirl nodded, and Steele woke Ember from her slumber.

"Huh? Steele, what's happening?" Another roar came from the street, much closer now, and Ember's eyes went wide. Several stallions flew past the window, something having flung them through the air. Only one got back up. Dusk ran through the home to a back door, shouldering it open and peering out into the street. Deeming it clear, he motioned for them to follow.

"Come on you three, there's not much time. I refuse to lose one more civilian in this fight. Starswirl, I know it's been a while, but-"

"Worry not Decanus, I may be old but I'm more than capable of handling a few bugs. Don't trouble yourself with me." Dusk simply nodded, and the four ponies filed out into the street. There were soldiers running about like mad, some rushing to the front to fight the bugs, others fleeing into the nearby forest. A couple soldiers saw them, and moved in to assist the Decanus in escorting the trio to safety. A nearby house exploded into debris, wood flying about and embedding itself into whatever it could. Steele looked on in horror as one of the large bugs moved out into the street they stood on, turning it's gaze to them. It took one step in their direction, but before it could go further, a blinding streak came from the sky, smashing into the top of the behemoth. It reared up and roared in pain, and when it came back down Steele could see what had impacted it. A thestral mare, rather small, but armored in the gear of the Nocturnal Legion. In her grasp, and buried in the monster's back, was a long spear. The haft was inlaid with some sort of glowing silver metal in a spiral fashion, from the bast all the way up to the head itself, which seemed to be made of the same material.

"Go! Get out of here! I'll hold it off as long as I can!" The mare wrenched the spear from the bug's back, and jumped into the air, lining up another shot. The Decanus simply turned and did as the mare said, trying to leave as fast as he could. Not that he was afraid, but he had to protect Ember and Steele. The four ponies ducked in-between the two buildings on the other side of the street, and pressed on for the southern wall.

Ember, for her part, was holding up rather well. Be it from exhaustion or resolve, she wasn't panicked in the slightest, and simply limped alongside Steele, pressing her weight into him whenever she needed. Her leg really didn't bother her much now, as Starswirl had done what he could with magic to heal and ease the pain. It still throbbed, but she could at least put some weight on it. Steele was in much the opposite position, while physically he was fine, he was internally panicking. Concern about Ember's life and his own was causing him to jump at every little noise, of which there were plenty, as they crept through the shadows.

Sounds of fighting could be heard as they moved towards the safety of the forest, buildings crumbling and glass shattering. The shouts of stallions as they fought the onslaught of insects. Screams of pain and death could be heard from both sides of the fray, but it was difficult to tell merely through sound which side was winning. Starswirl was mumbling something to himself, and if one listened closely they would hear that he was counting down.

"Three hundred and fourty-two," they kept walking, edging ever closer to the edge of town. A few more minutes and they should be safe.

"Three hundred and seven," the sounds of fighting were beginning o sound farther away now, still they pressed on.

"Two hundred and eighty-five," a huge roar and an explosion was heard in the distance, Starswirl visibly winced.

"One hundred and seventeen," almost there now. Steele could see trees through the gaps in the homes.

"Seventy-one," finally they had reached safety, or the forest at least. To call Everfree forest 'safe' was a bit of a stretch, but it was currently better than the alternative. Steele looked back at the town, half of it still bathed in green flame that consumed nothing. The group head one of the behemoths roar out into the night, and suddenly all the flames detonated for lack of a better word. All the homes that had been covered by the ethereal fire suddenly evaporated within the explosion. Half of Dale was gone in an instant, and the half that remained had been burning from the fire spread by Ember's home.

"Twenty-five. That is all that remain. The fighting has stopped." The Decanus turned around and looked at Starswirl, fear on his face.

"Four hundred, reduced to so few soldiers? Are you sure?" Starswirl said nothing, and simply lowered his head.

"Wait, Starswirl how could you know that?" Steele asked, confused. Before the magician could answer however, a stallion came running out of the woods towards them. He was a thestral as well, like the mare from earlier. Dusk stood straight, and saluted the newcomer, hoof across his chest in respect.

"Sir, Starswirl reports that the enemy is defeated, but only a hoof-full of our soldiers remain. We should-"

"Silence yourself Decanus, I heard him, and I know what must be done. You two, what are your names?" The stallion turned his gaze upon Steele and Ember as Dusk shrunk away at his words. It would seem this thestral was somepony rather important, and his Praetorian robe only affirmed this theory.

"My name is Steele Breaker, and this is my friend Ember Blaze, we are... or I suppose we were residents of Dale. Now, we've nowhere to call home, and are only alive thanks the Starswirl and Dusk here." The stallion eyed Steele, his face giving nothing away. Several moments passed, and not a word was spoken. Finally, the stallion snorted softly, and introduced himself.

"I am Noctis, first in command of the Nocturnal Legion, and personal Preatorian to Her Majesty Princess Luna. You may call me Noctis, for now." He looked past the group into what remained of Dale, and a pang of sorrow flashed across his features for the briefest of moments. Then, something caught his eye. "Well then, it would seem that search and rescue shall not be necessary. Here comes Stella now, with twenty-four soldiers in tow." Steele turned to look, and sure enough there they were, twenty-four nocturnal Legionaries accompanied by the mare with the spear from earlier. While the run-of-the-mill soldiers looked tired and beaten up, Stella hadn't even acquired a scuff on her polished armor.

"Wow... she's pretty awesome. Wish I could fight like her, all I can do is sling fireballs." Steele rolled his eyes at Ember's comment. Conjuring fire from thin air was far more devastating a weapon than hoof-to-hoof combat could ever be. Though not to discredit Stella's ability. Finally, the group of twenty-five made it to the five ponies standing at the forest's edge.

"Well, nice reception party you've thrown here Noctis. Is everypony gathered here just for me?" Starswirl chuckled a bit, and Noctis snorted again.

"Hardly Stella, we were actually just about to come in looking for all of you, but it would seem you've found your way out on your own. Now then, if everypony is ready, we should make for the castle. Luna and Celestia will want to debrief us, and meet these two. They were the only two to survive the attack." Steele hung his head, once again his thoughts drifted to the dead. It would be some time before he could get past all of this.

"Hey," Stella spoke up as they set off, making her way to Dusk's side. "You're a Decanus right? Why weren't you down there in the fight with your stallions huh? Did you run or somethin'?" Dusk shrunk slightly under Stella's harsh glare, stuttering as he tried to formulate a response.

"Not quite, er... Stella was it? You see, the young Decanus here was protecting these two civilians and myself as we got away from the fighting. If not for him, it's possible all three of us would have died." Starswirl spoke up, coming to Dusk's rescue in an attempt to spare him ridicule. What he had said wasn't really true, as if anything had attacked them, he could have dealt with it without any trouble. Still, the Decanus had only done what he felt necessary to save civilians.

"Huh... is that so? Well then, good work Decanus. What's your name?"

"Chroma Dusk ma'am," he paused his stride momentarily to snap off a quick salute, and Stella laughed aloud.

"Oh please, there's no need for all of that Dusk, there's no stuck-up officer out here. Well, 'cept Noctis, but he let's me do as I please. Ain't that right Nocty!" Noctis remained silent, and continued to walk through the woods. "See, he doesn't care! C'mon, just call me Stella."

"Uh... sure thing... Stella." She slapped him jovially on the back.

"There ya go! Now then, the civies!" She trotted up in-between Steele and Ember, looking at one then the other. "So you two, what's your story? You married or somethin'?" Steele nearly fell over, and Ember blushed hard enough you could see it through her coat. Regaining his composure, and balance, Steele looked over to Stella.

"N-No, we're uh... we're just friends. My name is Steele."

"And I'm Ember. We've known each other for a long time, lived in Dale my whole life, and he moved in when he was... what, six?" Steele nodded, and Stella practically beamed.

"Aww, you two! That's so adorable, though let me tell ya somethin' missy," she leaned in and whispered so only Ember could hear. "you better move in on this guy quick, or I'm liable to do it myself yeah?" She winked, and pulled her head away from Ember's. Once again, the mare was blushing bright enough to make the sun jealous.

"Alright back there, cut the chatter, we're here." Sure enough, a large clearing in the trees was just ahead, and in it sat the most magnificent structure Steele could remember ever seeing. A massive palace, constructed from a gray stone, stood higher than the trees surrounding it, a massive wooden door gave access to an inner courtyard area, where several other buildings sat. As they entered through, Steele took note of the surroundings. A low, long structure sat against the east and west walls, both likely barracks of some kind. An armory and forge could be heard behind the huge marble building taking up the center. This was likely the palace proper, and home to both Princesses. Another massive wooden door, this time inlaid with gold and silver, as well as blue and red gems, opened slowly to reveal the very ponies they had come to speak with.

"Alright, Legionaries go back to your barracks. Decanus Chroma Dusk, stay with us. Princesses, we have news from Dale." Noctis stepped forward and knelt before the two sisters, both standing regally and clad in beautiful regalia. Steele decided it would be best to follow in Noctis's example, and knelt as well. Soon, all the other ponies in the group save Starswirl were doing the same. He simply walked into the castle, nodding to Celestia as he passed her. She smiled and gave a nod of her own in return, and then turned her attention to the ponies before her.

"Arise Our subjects, and come and tell me and my sister of what has happened. We are eager to hear your tale."

Author's Note:

Whew! Sorry this one took so long everybody, as stated in my blog post I hit several distractions and a rather difficult bout of writer's block all at once. But, here it is at last, not quite as pretty as I would have liked it, but i can come back in and polish it out a bit later. Didn't want you all to have to wait any longer, and I'm satisfied with it's current state. As always, feel free to offer suggestions on anything, and please point out spelling/grammar mistakes so that I can go in and fix them. Take care all.

-Duvagr007