• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 10,860 Views, 580 Comments

Dawn of the Vanguard - Mystic Song



For thousands of years ponies have prospered in Equestria living in peace. For thousands of years humans have prospered in secret living in fear. To ponies the humans are less than a myth. To humans, ponys are death. Once again they shall meet.

  • ...
42
 580
 10,860

Something Borrowed Something Blue

“So how long were we in this room again?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“About four hours.” Applejack replied.

“And how long has Twilight been staring at those bones?”

“About four hours.”

“Yeah, I though so.”

Rainbow Dash continued to watch Twilight as she stared angrily at the space that indicated where the two hundred year gap in bones record was.

Ever since they had entered the large ivory filled room Twilight had been throwing ideas at them considering exactly where in the base that the rest of the bones could be. After that hadn’t gotten them anywhere, Twilight went to the shelf that showed where the two hundred year gap was, sat down, and stared.

Four hours later Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash found themselves watching the alicorn stare at the two fragments that were inexplicably two hundred years apart in age. Even though Rainbow Dash had finally gained some patience over the three days that she spent reading in the Canterlot library, she still couldn’t completely let go of her need to get things done fast.

“Yo, Twilight can you hurry it up a bit, we're not getting any younger over here,” Rainbow Dash said loudly.

“No! I cannot risk skipping over anything, even if I have to go through this whole room with a magnifying glass.” Twilight responded.

“Ah don’t want to be the barer of bad news, but how can you be sure that you will get any farther by staring at that there shelf.” Applejack asked.

“Applejack I’m not just staring at the shelf. I’m calculating all the possible places where the scientists that lived and worked here could have possibly put the records that fill the gap," Twilight spoke turning away from the shelf to look at her friends standing behind her, "they would have had to hid them somewhere were nopony would look. Some place random but in plain sight, somewhere that was hard to get to, but easy enough to access if you knew where to look. It also had to be in a place that would stand the test of time. Somewhere like a, like a…”

“Like a tree trunk?” Rainbow Dash guessed remembering the strange place that Twilight had found the book on humans.

“Precisely like a tree… trunk," Twilight eyes widen as she came to a new realisation, "Rainbow Dash you’re a genius! How didn’t I think of that?”

“You didn’t think of it because I’m twenty times more awesome than you," the rainbow maned pegasus said while taking a moment to preen herself. Then she asked slightly confused, "What did I think of again?”

“The book I found, ‘Humans: The lost race of Equestria’ was hidden in the tree trunk of my library. Whoever hid the records that documented the two hundred year gap could have very well placed the records behind one of the walls in this base.” Twilight finished animatedly trotting in place.

“Ok, then da’ records must be hidden in the same way as dat der book? Well what are we waiting for? If we do the da same thing dat you did to find dat book we should be able to find da records," Apple Jack spoke with conviction, "how did ya find da book?”

“Um," Twilight said, looking guilty, "I randomly shot off a blast of magic into the wall of my library.”

Rainbow Dash groaned loudly and face hoofed herself, “Great! Now what are we supposed to do!”

Twilight looked between the annoyed looking pegasus and the disappointed earth pony. With a sigh she walked up to one of the empty spaces in the bone room, while being careful not to upset any of the bones on display.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash watched in dismay as she lifted a hoof and slowly knocked the wall checking for a hollowed out sound in the thick bark of the wall.

It was slow going at first but after awhile, and many apologies, they convinced the rest of the group to help with the search. Soon the underground base was filled with the sound of light tapping.

Twilight sighed as she tapped another spot on the old dark wood in the main cavern.

She had long since came to the conclusion that this was getting them nowhere.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

She had ask Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie to help them search. Of course the minute that they found the entrance, if there is one, they could go back to resting in the main room. Even though they said it was okay, Twilight hated that she had to go back on her word even if it was only for a little bit.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

She didn’t even know why they were doing this. The chances of a secret entrance being behind one the walls were close to nil. She should have just called off the search. There had to be a better way to go about this. If she only knew what that was.

Sadly she didn’t know of a better way, so that meant that they would have to use pony power to find the entrance manually.

That didn’t mean that she was this close to just giving up and calling Celestia to see if she had some ‘find random hidden cave openings spell’ to make their work easier.

Sometimes she just wished that for once the world would throw her a key to make things go easier for her.

Tap. Tap. Thunk.

“Huh?” Twilight asked herself before hitting the spot on the wall again.

Thunk…Thunk…Thunk, Thunk, Thunk!

Finally in seem that the world was going to give her a break.

“Girls get over here!”

“Twilight dear what is it?” Rarity asked the giddy looking alicorn.

“I found it! The hollow in the wall, the secrets to the base have to be behind this wall!”

“Okay," Rarity started to ask, "how do we…”

Bang!

They all flinched as Twilight blasted a hole in the wall with a condensed shot of magic.

“Well I guess that works too…” Rarity said as Twilight ran to the newly opened passage.

Apple Jack watched as Twilight twisted her head around to look deeper in the route. Being unable to wait any more after so long of searching she asked impatiently, “Sugar cube do you see anything?”

“Yes, I think the pathway leads a little ways down then takes a sharp turn to the right," Twilight pulled her head out and addressed her waiting friends, "I’m going to go in. If you don’t want to follow me, that’s okay, but I have to know what happened in that two hundred year gap.”

“Like I said, the faster we find out what’s here the faster we can leave this place," Apple Jack said, "I’m coming with you.”

“Me too," Rainbow Dash said while taking to the air, "Anyways you guys wouldn’t get that far without me protecting your sorry flanks.”

“Rainbow Dash, honestly could you be anymore boorish,” Rarity said with a quick flip of her deep purple mane. She then looked at Twilight sadly, "I’m terribly sorry dear, but I believe this is where I stop. I couldn’t possibly go any farther. Not with all these things.”

Twilight nodded at her then turned her gaze to Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, “I guess you guys are staying here too?”

Fluttershy hid behind a curtain of pink mane and tentatively spoke from behind it, “If you don’t mind, that is, I don’t think I can take it…”

Pinkie Pie draped her forearm around Fluttershy’s shoulder; her pink curly mane had gotten some of its normal poof back but was still much too strait for Twilight to feel completely at ease. The pink pony then turned a cheery but somewhat apologetic smile to Twilight.

“Don’t worry your little royal head about us, Auntie Pinkie can take care of the kids here," Pinkie Pie said her smile getting brighter, "So you can just go and find the miss-nis-one records, and tell us what happened.”

Twilight smile happily, before turning back to the hole, and address Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash.

“Ok girls we don’t know what is on the other side of this hallway, but whatever it is it was important enough for the researchers who made this place to hid it so thoroughly," Twilight lit her horn up chasing away the unending darkness of the old passage, "I want us to go at this slowly, there could be some thing here that we might miss. Also I want you guys to be careful, whatever that could be on the other side could be dangerous. Is there any questions?”

“Yeah are we done with the instructions yet ‘cause I want to get going.” Rainbow Dash said impatiently striking the ground in front of her.

“Sugar cube you know that I care about your ideals and such, but I think it’s better if we go and get this show on the road.” Applejack said while placing her hat father on her head.

“Fine, but remember to be careful," Twilight reminded them one last time before taking a step forward, "lets go girls.”
With that the three ponies trotted down the dark hallway at a quick pace. Unsure of what laid in their fture.

High in the clouds on the mountain region city of Aria, two soldiers stood side by side staring at the bright blue sky above their base camp.

“So they finally got the storm under control.” Said Zachary, his long, messy black hair was let down as he couldn’t be bothered to tie it back up.

“Yep.” The Alec beside him replied as he fiddled with the cuffs of his uniform.

“So that means that training is going start again soon, doesn’t it?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Damn it.”

Zachery turned away from the window to lean against it and grumble a string of incomprehensible words.

“I agree it is ridiculous that they are working us so hard, but you do know the motto of the Human Military Divisions don’t you?” The mans brown eyes apathetically drifted over to the angrily pouting officer beside him

Zachary answered with a grunt.

“That’s right," Alec stood up straight and crossed his arms in an X formation in front of his neck, doing the salute that the was integrated in all of the militants lives while keeping his eyes forward, ‘‘'To serve the human race and fight for our continued freedom until the day we breathe our last breath in battle’. Fighting for our continued freedom also means making sure that we are all ready to fight if war were to break out.”

Zachary scratch his chin and muttered darkly.

“I know that there hasn’t been a sighting in over four thousand years and that we will most likely live all our lives getting prepared for a war that will never come," Alec said while falling into a more relaxed position, "However I believe it is important for us to be prepared.”

Zachary gave him a quizzical look.

“Why, because there is still a possibility that a legion of ponies will suddenly attack us while being driven by revenge and the want for blood." Alec stretched his arms over his head then looked into the undisturbed sky, his voice became dark, "Only the combined knowledge of the Three knows if today will be our last.”

BANG!

There was a quick flash of brightly coloured orange and black light as Zachery and Alec jumped into fighting stances.

Zachery crouched low to the ground allowing Alec the ability to reach the air without being hinder by his large black wings. Both of their forearms were covered in harden magic based claws that came to them naturally after years of conditioning. Both of their eyes shrunk and changed to elliptical pupils as they tried to map out the best way to counter the incoming threat.

The only sound that was made between them was the close to inaudible sound of their in sync heart beats. Masking the exact number of people that where near the window. Also allowing Zachery to make a surprise attack to an unprotected underbelly of anything that tried to enter through the window, if need be.

They waited for the sounds of a struggle outside, knowing that they had to stay silent as their greatest asset was the element of surprise that they had.

A violent and unexpected attack could be the key to turning the battle outside to their favour.

So they waited in complete silence.

However, after hearing no other sounds coming from the courtyard Alec slowly risked looking outside at the battle. Instead of seeing a violent struggle for power he caught the eye of a sheepish looking private outside trying to gather up the heavy boxes she dropped.

“Hey, I’m sorry ‘bout that. One of the lieutenants asked me to move these from storage room A12 to storage facility B8. I hope I didn’t spook you guys.” She said while rubbing the back of her head.

Quickly gaining his composure Alec smiled at the young soldier and spoke nonchalantly, “Don’t worry about it, no harm done just, next time take trips instead of trying to carry everything over at once.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” She said while picking up the wayward box off the ground and placing it on to of the already four box tall pile in her arms.

Alec waved to her retreating form before pulling his head out of the window frame and looking blankly at Zachery.

“False alarm.” He deadpanned to the still high-strung man beside him.

The only response that Alec got was another grunt before Zachery relaxed and plopped on to the ground relishing his hold on his magic.

The orange haired man sighed before finishing his stretching, his auburn wings gave a test flap before disappearing in a breezeless whirl of orange magic. He blinked a couple of times returning his pupils back to their normal round appearance as his claws were replaced with his normal sunburnt skin.

He took a small amount of time to look out the window and into the blue sky before sitting down beside Zachery under the window frame.

“What were you saying," Zachery spoke his eyes still hard and mixed with the emotion of combat, "about being prepared.”

Alec sighed before slumping deeper against the wall behind him, “Just that if they still know just how we escaped slavery, they would one day try to find us and get revenge.”

“It’s been four thousand years since the last sighting.”

“The people in the Divisions four thousand years ago probably said that there wasn’t a sighting for thirteen thousand years, and the people before them said two thousand years. You should know by now that putting yourself in a false sense of safety is as dangerous as it is easy.” Alec said while calmly inspecting his sky cameos that made up his military garb, perfect for disappearing in the sky no matter what time of day it was.

Zachery watched as Alec continued to act like he hadn’t just planted a seed of fear in his defences while simultaneously breaking the safety net he held himself with down.

“Do you really believe that we’re going to be attacked in our life time?” Zachery asked his voice barely above a whisper.

“I believe," Alec said while dusting off his cameos, "that it’s foolish to think that the world and the situations in it will always stay the same.”

There was heavy pause between them as Alec’s words hung profoundly in the air.

Before Zachery could speak again a familiar buzz filled the air before a voice drifted into the air.

“The training grounds have finally been repaired and practice in hand to hand combat will now take place. Will squads one to twenty nine and eighty seven to one hundred sixteen come in for role call and the refresher course in pony to human combat.”

Alec stood up in one fluid motion, and then turned to Zachery, “That’s us. Lets hurry I’d rather not keep Kim waiting, you know how she gets.”

With that both Alec and Zachery walked to the training platform in apprehensive silence.

In the hidden tunnel that connected the outside world to the intentionally hidden secrets of the past, three mares were slowly making their way to their destination.

They followed the lavender glow that came from Twilight who took point and led the two behind her. The long corridor stretched their only source of light and made their shadows distorted against the craved wood of the tunnel. Soon the familiar wood gave way to compacted dirt that drastically dropped the temperature in the tunnel. Their breaths came out as visible puffs of heat, and their heart beats picked up in pace as they went deeper and deeper in what was a pitch black and undisturbed tunnel for hundreds of years.

Finally the pegasus in their group, whom disliked cramped spaces, could not take the silence anymore.

“Twilight, are you sure that this thing leds anywhere?” Rainbow Dash said with worry lacing her usually strong voice.

“It has to Rainbow Dash; why else would they make it?” Twilight called over her shoulder, while keeping her eyes in front of her.

“I hate to argue with you Twilight, but I agree with Dash. I mean we have been down here for a mighty long time. What if this tunnel really doesn’t lead anywhere?” Applejack asked.

“Well if that’s the case then we will just have to go back.” Twilight confirmed.

“That’s another thing that I want to ask, what are we supposed to do if we find nothing else leading us to them hum-ans? Are we just going just going to home?” Applejack tentatively asked.

“Applejack, don’t think like that. We will find the humans and we will apologize for everything that happened to them before, afterwards we will establish peaceful relations with them.” Twilight said confidently while walking forward.

“Twi I don’t think you understand, what will we do if they want to settle back into Equestria?”

Twilight stopped walking forward and for the first time since entering the tunnel.

“What do you mean, ‘if they want to settle back into Equestria?’” Twilight said while looking at the apple farmer.

“I’m just saying that if I found out that the land my family was chased out from was safe enough for me to go back to I would." The orange pony said with sincerity, "What will we do if a hundred or so of them want to come back to Equestria?”

“I think a hundred of them wouldn’t make that much of a difference.” Twilight said with uncertainty in her voice.

“Will it still wouldn’t make a difference if a hundred thousand of them want to come?" Applejack said calmly, when she saw that Twilight was looking unsure of herself she pressed on, "I not saying that they shouldn’t come if they want to, but it has been a who knows how many years since a pony has saw a living human. How would you know that we will be able to live with each other?”

“I don’t think that will be a problem.”

The earth pony and alicorn looked to the hovering pegasus.

“Now Rainbow Dash, how could you possibly know that?” Applejack asked.

Rainbow Dash gave a heavy snort before answering, “You heard what Fluttershy said, I don’t think we have to worry about them wanting to settle in Equestria. We will probably have a hard time just getting one of them into Equestria in the first place.”

Twilight and Applejack shared a confused look before looking back at Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow Dash, why would we need to bring one of them back to Equestria?” Twilight asked rainbow haired pegasus in confusion.

“So that ponies can see that humans are real, duh. Remember we're looking for them now ‘cause Princess Celestia thought their…bones were fake for hundreds of years. Do you really think that ponies will believe that a species, that Celestia herself hasn’t seen alive, exists?” Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight looked at Dash with a forcefully flat expression on her face, as her horn shone brighter.

“Rainbow Dash, just how long have you been thinking about this?” Twilight said while her left eye twitched sporadically.

“Like while we where in that library, wait you didn’t think of that?”

Twilight response was loud neighing shriek.

This was followed by sudden darkness after yell caused her to lose control of her magic.

“Hey!”

“Twi, light up that do-hicky of yours, I can’t see anything in here!" Applejack yelled.

“Sorry, sorry," Twilight said as the pitch black tunnel was once again filled with light, "Lets… lets just think about that later, ok? I just want to get to the end of this tunnel and see if there is anything at the other end.”

Applejack gave Twilight a look to show her that their conversation wasn’t over, but nodded to her request and continued after her.

After another long period of walking the three ponies came across the end of the passageway. They finally made it to their destination.

To Twilight’s dismay, the only thing at the other side was a wall of thoroughly compacted dirt.

“No, this can’t be.” Twilight said softly as she walked up to the solid wall.

“I’m sorry Twi, but it looks like this is the end of the road.” Applejack said sadly.

Rainbow Dash quickly put her own voice in and smiled confidently as she saw how low Twilight’s shoulders had slumped, “Don’t worry Twi’ I’m sure there’s another tunnel for us to go down. We won’t give up yet.”

“There isn’t another tunnel.” Twilight spoke in a low tone that was barely audible.

“I’m sorry Twilight I didn’t quite get that.” Applejack interjected.

“I said that there isn’t another tunnel!" Twilight snapped loudly her voice echoing down that length of the passage. "There isn’t another tunnel or hidden records or maps or anything! We have been down here for Celestia knows how long on a wild goose chase!”

“Ah Twi? I think you should calm down.” Rainbow Dash said worriedly as dirt from the roof of the tunnel began to fall down.

“No I will not calm down, I can’t believe we wasted so much time here!” Twilight shouted angrily.

“Twilight I agree with Rainbow Dash, you should turn the volume down a bit,” Applejack said as a piece of ceiling fell near her.

“No! I will not turn down the volume," Twilight said as her horn began to glow brighter in her distress, "I led you both down here, to find a some sort of secret room to find out were the mis-is-ne records for the two hundred year gap…”

“Don’t you mean the miss-nis-one records?” Rainbow Dash said before getting hit on the back of her head by a glaring Applejack.

“Whatever! Those records are still as gone as they were a hundreds of years ago. Not to mention that the race we were searching will probably want nothing to do with us, making this whole search useless in the first place!" Twilight panted angrily, "And what we have to show for our weeks of searching? Nothing but a room of bones, thousands of old and outdated records by ponies that lived hundreds of years ago, that by the way we can’t prove are real to anypony in Equestria because we don’t have living proof, a two hundred year gap, and a stupid, old, dirty, hundred year old tunnel that leads to a useless dirt wall!”

At the crescendo of her anger Twilight bucked the wall behind her with all her strength.

However one thing that Twilight forgot in her rage filled mindset was how strong she had become after turning into an alicorn.

So she was extremely shocked when the force of her buck created a large cloud of thick dust, which quickly filled the enclosed space of the tunnel and entered the lungs of the ponies in front of her.

Once her friends started to hack and choke on the dry dust as they struggled to gasp in air, she jumped forward and covered all of them with a bubble of magic and forcefully filtered the air out until it was breathable again.

She was so into her task that she didn’t realise that the wall behind her had gave way during her kick.

“Oh Celestia! I’m so, so sorry.” Twilight apologized as Applejack and Rainbow Dash wheezed while hacking up dirt.

“No worries Twi, *hack* just give us a fair bit of warning before you do that again *cough*.” Apple Jack said between gulps of air.

“No, it’s not okay. I could have really hurt you guys. I think it’s best for us to just leave this tunnel and go back to the rest of the girls.” Twilight said getting ready to quickly teleport them out.

“Ah, Twilight? *cough* I think you should see this.” Rainbow Dash said pointing behind her.

“What.” Twilight turned around to where the dirt wall should’ve been.

‘Wait, where’s the wall?’ Twilight thought numbly as she tried to look through the settling dust cloud, ‘If I didn’t know better I would think that the tunnel got…’

Twilight gasp as she got a better look as the dust finally settled.

There was a large carven behind her, the entrance opened up wide by her careless kick.

Twilight ran through the entrance without listening to her friend’s loud shouts for her attention.

She was excited.

She couldn’t even think straight and wonder why Rainbow Dash with her keen eyes sounded so worried almost fearful when she looked into the darkened room.

After so many days of searching, so many hours of constant reading and recording, she was finally about to find out the last piece of the puzzle.

Soon she could pin point where the humans went, and find out the best why to confront them.

She was finally going to see all her friends suffering, all of her suffering, all of Celestia’s suffering pay off.

She stood in the middle of the hundreds of years old cavern that was blocked off from danger by ponies centuries her seniors and lit her horn brightly to see the secrets that were hidden within.

She stood in the middle of the result of years of research and painstaking archaeology.

And screamed in absolute horror.

Twilight was still screaming when Rainbow Dash and Applejack entered the room after her.

She was still screaming when Applejack and Rainbow Dash both gasped at the sight that lay before them.

She began choking on her dryness of her throat when Rainbow Dash left the room to be sick in the hallway.

Twilight only stopped when Applejack pulled her away from the horrific sight of extremely detailed pictures that were painted on canvas that hung off every free space in the cavern.

Monsters.

That was the only way she could describe the figures that hung off the wall.

Monsters that were depicted in different processes of eating fearful ponies that were unfortunate enough to be painted on the same canvas as them.

Monsters that towered over the fearful ponies in the paintings, their thin claws reaching to grab, to render, to kill the ponies that were too afraid to run. Large, sharp fangs gleam an unearthly white as their mouths opened wide to consume those that where in front of them. They were all covered with the blood of them that fell to them in varying degrees, from blood that was only splashed across their faces to blood that blanketed their bodies until it was impossible to see their defined features. Their soulless glowing eyes stared at the helpless meals in front of them, at the villages before them, at the meals that got away from them, at the three ponies that entered the room where their likeness was forever immortalized.

Some of their mouths leaked with the blood of their kills, some of them held entrails of their victims as the unfortunate ponies mouths where depicted in wide, endless screams. Their victims ranged from old mares and stallions that could barely walk nevertheless run, to foals that were being ripped from the bellies of their screaming mothers whose hooves reached for their dead children as thick scarlet blood oozed from their wounds.

In all of her years Applejack had never seen anything like it, and never felt so helpless as Twilight continued to cry into her shoulder. She couldn’t take the images away from Twilight. That damage was already done. She could, however take her away from this horrible place.

“Come on Twilight there isn’t anything you can do in here,’ Applejack choked back the bile that rose in her throat as she looked at one of the more detailed displays, ‘Lets just go back, we can seal off the room and tell the girls that we found nothing important.”

Applejack continued to stroke the back of the alicorn’s head, shouldering the tears that fell from her amethyst eyes. They sat in silence flinching everything Rainbow Dash heaved especially hard as she emptied her stomach.

They stood so still that the farm pony thought that Twilight had cried herself to sleep and was about to hoist her over her back and leave the horrible place, when Twilight softly whispered to her. What she said came out as a painful exhale.

“What?’ Applejack asked as she pulled Twilight away, trying to get a good look at her tear stained face, “I didn’t quite get that.”

“No. I can’t go yet.” Purple red rimed eyes bored into shocked green.

“What do you mean that you can’t go yet?” Applejack asked trying to get her head around Twilight reasoning. Why would she want to stay in this Celestia forsaken place? Why would they stay here any longer? The whole place had to be made by a mad pony. Nopony sane would draw things so horrible then leave them on display even if this place was hidden. Applejack didn’t know what else was hidden in this cavern, but whatever it was she didn’t want any part of it. "Twilight you’re not making any sense, why can’t you go yet?"

Twilight backed out of Applejack’s embrace and looked at painting that was closest to her, then asked, “Applejack look at the…creatures in these paintings. What do you notice?”

“Twilight I don’t want to…”

“Applejack, please. Just, just look at the creatures.”

The farm pony steeled her nerves and forced herself to look at the paintings again.

The creatures all looked the same. They stood on their long hind legs, their bodies were covered in dirty cloth that hung off of their thin bodies. The creatures’ bones were painfully visible through their skin. Their bodies were mostly devoid of hair except for the patches of mane that seemed to only collect at the tops of their heads. Their faces were flat and muzzle-less and their eyes were small and glowing with hunger. As they tore through ligaments, stopping escape and messily cracked bone, making their victims scream out in the whirlwind of pain and thick scent of rusted copper that hung heavily in the air, choking it. Chunks of frayed skin hang limply in curved claws. Thin, cracked lips pulled back into grins, too wide, too sharp, too pleased, with the violence around them. Enjoying, smiling, and laughing, at the white hot pain of torture around them.

Applejack quickly ripped her eyes away from the pain in front of her, digging her hooves in the familiar earth that told her she was safe.

She looked at Twilight who was still staring at the paintings around her.

Without looking at her Twilight addressed the shaking cow pony, “Do you see what I see?”

“Twilight I don’t know what your talking about, why did you what me to look at those…things?”

“Don’t you notice what those creatures resemble? Think Applejack!”

Applejack didn’t get it. Nothing she could think of looked like those creatures. They were to thin to be minotaurs, too wiry and bony to be young dragons. There was no creature alive that she knew of that looked like that.

She blanched.

No creature she had seen alive.

Her head whipped to the painting that Twilight had pointed at.

Thin bridle bones place to shape a tall standing form long dead. Long wiry arms and legs that ended in grasping claws reaching for screaming victims. Broken jaw bones that hung off of cracked and dented faces. Flat, hungry, and depraved smiling faces stare at new terrified victims. Thin strands that somehow stayed connected to bleach white skulls over thousands of years of decay. Messy manes that stuck to dirty heads drenched in blood of crying screaming prey.

Applejack stared in horror as frightening realization grabbed her with its sharp claws and forced her to submit to its truth.

Someplace far away from her, or was it close to her? Twilight’s reserved voice echoed through the cavern.

“Don’t you see Applejack? The reason we can’t leave yet is because we just now found out how the humans escaped Equestria.”

Rainbow Dash had never felt so sick in her life.

Heave, heave, heave. Splash.

The corroding smell of half digested stomach contents hung strongly in the enclosed tunnel, tickling another painful heave from the panting pegasus.

Heave, Splash.

Bile mixed with a runny yellow and green chunky mixture splattered, on the ground, on the wall, on herself. Her face was wet with the left over moisture that came from deep in her abdomen.

Hurk, wheeze.

She pushed herself away from the mess and lean against the cool wall of the tunnel. A thin line of dribble burbled from her mouth and down the side of her face.

She forced to keep what was left of her stomach down, as she coughed up dry pungent air from a raw throat. A dry piece of hay from the sandwich she had earlier scratched in to her throat, causing her to sputter again.

The images from that cavern replayed in an endless loop in her head, images which would never end, even as she tried to squeeze the images away with her eyes. Try as she might the images would never leave her, and unknown to her would continue to haut her even after she had left the swap.

Even though she just wanted to leave the tunnel and just let Twilight and Applejack finish with, whatever they were doing. Deep down Rainbow Dash knew that she couldn’t leave them, not until they found what they were looking for.

Then she could go back to the main cave and forget about those things.

She slowly stood up and rubbed the spittle from her face. Within a few minutes she had covered her sickness with the overturn dirt from Twilights overpowered buck. With a collecting breath that was stale with the sent of dissolving grass, she slowly walked into the cavern. To her dismay the cavern was filled with sounds of Applejack and Twilight shouting at each other.

“Ah can’t believe that you still want to look for those monsters!” Applejack screamed her face reddish-orange with rage.

“I can’t believe that you want to give up after we go this close, we’re almost seconds away from finding out where they went!” Twilight retorted, her wings spread out in annoyance.

“I’d rather be hundreds of years away from finding them! Twilight this isn’t just some willy nilly search for some interesting lost race. These creatures are dangerous! We have to let Princess Celestia take the rest of this search," Applejack replied grinding the ground with her hoof, "We are way in over our heads with this one. It’s better to have the royal guard or the army or just about anypony else take on this!”

“We can’t do that! How would you think they would react if a large group of train soldiers just decide to march in on their lands? Do you really think that situation could end well?” The purple alicorn tried to reason.

“I don’t think that any situation that has us meeting them can end well.” Applejack snorted angrily.

Twilight looked desperately at the orange mare, “So you’re saying that we should just give up?”

“No! We can’t give up especially with those hum-ans of yours living somewhere out there hidden from everypony even Celestia herself. We have to find them and make sure that they cannot ever come back to Equestria or will never even think of sticking their noses back in our business!”

“What! Applejack how can you say that?”

“I’m sorry Twilight but that’s the way it has to be.”

“Um guys?" Rainbow Dash said drawing attention to her self, "What are you guys fighting over?”

Applejack turned her ire away from Twilight to briefly address Rainbow Dash, “I’m just trying to get Twilight here to see that it would be best if we just forgot doing the search by ourselves and just let Celestia figure out what to do with these here hum-ans.”

“And," Twilight said quickly interjecting, "I’m trying to tell Applejack that doing that would be a terrible idea!”

“Wait, hold on. Applejack I thought that you wanted to find the Hu-whatever guys." Rainbow Dash said looking between the both of them, "Why do you what to give up?”

“I don’t want to give up. I just want to go about finding these here dangerous creatures in a safer way. That doesn’t have us putting our necks under a station wagon!”

“Um Applejack? Humans can’t even use magic. You know the thing that every living thing is supposed to have? How dangerous can they be?” Rainbow Dash scoffed.

Applejack pointed one firm hoof to the painting that was nearest to them.

Rainbow Dash didn’t turn around, it was hard enough for her not to look directly at the displays around her. She asked Applejack another question with out looking where she pointed.

“What does that have to do with anything? Sure the pony that made these probably went insane, but that’s not enough for us to stop looking. I mean we’re too close aren’t we, Twilight?”

The purple alicorn would not look at her in the eyes. Rainbow Dash had to look away, Twilight was standing too close to a display; she could see the violence trying to get acknowledgement at the corner of her eyes. She couldn’t look at those monstrous paintings.

The smell of vomit was still lingering on her cyan coat, and there was just so much blood.

“Rainbow Dash, these…paintings do have a lot to do with the Humans. They show, they show, well that is…”

“Will somepony just tell me what is going on? I come back to see both of you guys," she had to stop herself from saying ‘tearing into each other,’ and took a breath, "I come in here to see you both fighting each other, and neither of you are telling me what’s going on. Just tell me okay I can handle it.”

“The paintings are the Humans.” Applejack deadpanned.

“What?”

“The Humans that we’re trying to find are pony eating monsters.” The orange mare further elaborated.

Rainbow Dash looked between them her face becoming pale as Applejack’s words sunk in.

“How, that’s not possible! How can the bodies that we found in that room belong to these things?”

“Rainbow Dash if you could keep what’s in your stomach down for a bit and actually look at these paintings you would know what I’m telling you is true.” Applejack said pointing a hoof at her.

Rainbow Dash continued to focus her magenta eyes on Applejack's green, she couldn’t look away. If she did that would be the end. She would start retching again and then she wouldn’t be able to help Twilight. She would have to back to the main cave as a failure.

Plus, there was something that didn’t make sense to her about the whole room.

“Wait guy how can you be sure that these things are the Humans? Where is your proof?”

“Well these guys look mighty similar to the Human bones we found in that there other room now don’t they?”

“So? Pony skeletons and Donkey skeletons look similar, but we’re different. How can you be sure that these things are Humans? They could be a totally different creature!”

“Rainbow Dash, stop. Applejack's right these are humans.”

The two mares looked over to the spot where Twilight had walked during their discussion. The alicorn was currently shifting through a large pile of papers that were in a half-hazard pile on a desk.

She came back with a number of papers floating beside her. When she got to them she gently placed the paper on the ground in the middle of them.

“Look," Twilight's voice shook, "This is a part of the two hundred year gap. It talks about some stories that were passed down from parent to foal. Like the bedtime stories that King Conquering Wind told Celestia and Luna when they where foals, long before they them selves became alicorns.”

Twilight finally looked up at Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

“I asked Celestia what happened in those stories, and sadly she couldn’t recall exactly what happens word for word. However, she did tell me that in those stories humans were monsters that came out of the woods at night and ate the ponies that would stray too far." Twilight sighed as she looked at another picture, "I guess the stories that King Conquering Wind told her weren’t completely false.”

“See, this is what I’m talking about," Applejack said while pointing an accusing hoof at Twilight, "These hum-ans are too dangerous for us to just walk into their lands, hives or whatever. We have to get the backing of the Princesses! Maybe we can get Luna to dream walk or whatever she does into some of their heads. Then we could see how dangerous they are and maybe even change them.”

“Applejack we can’t do that!” Twilight exclaimed looking horrified.

“Why the hay can’t we?” The apple farmer asked indignantly.

“We can’t because it’s a total breech of trust! How would you like it if somepony just decide to walk through your dreams and drastically change your mind?”

“All I’m saying is that I would feel a whole lot better about this idea of your's if we had a sure fire backup plan. I bet even Rainbow Dash here agrees with me, don’t you R.D?”

The cyan pegasus looked to the ground then said hesitantly, “I don’t think I do A.J.”

“Ya see Rainbow Dash agrees with me and…" Applejack stop and looked at the pegasus behind her, "I beg your pardon?”

“Well it’s just that, well your idea is kinda like what King Conquer Wind and the ponies under him did.”

Applejack’s face was slowly getting paler as Rainbow Dash’s words sank in, and said in softer tone, “How is what I want to do is anything like King Conquering Wind did? I just want to protect my family and friends our families and friends.”

“Yeah well I’m sure that’s what he wanted to do to." Rainbow Dash snapped, "Look, I know that these pictures are…disturbing, but if we go in there and use magic and mind control to control them, then they would just think that we’re exactly like the ponies from however how long ago. After that they would try to protect their families and friends from us, and then things would get bad.”

“Exactly what I was trying to say," Twilight said with relief, "Applejack I know your just being honest about the dangers you see, but we can’t go in there armed to our teeth if we want to have diplomatic relations. We have to show them that we’re not dangerous to them, and that ponies are not the same as they were thousands of years ago.”

Applejack stared at Twilight as if she was weighing her options, then she let out an explosive exhale.

“Okay Twi, I see your point but I want you to know the minute I see any funny business from them I’m not going hesitate to show them why I’m Ponyvile’s greatest apple bucker.”

“I wouldn’t ask for anything less of you Applejack." Twilight said sincerely, "Ok girl’s know that we're here to look through these notes,’ She said pointing to the stack she brought with her, ‘and any others that are in this room. There are still a lot of unanswered questions and a large two hundred year gap that we have to account for.”

“Wait," Rainbow Dash said getting into Twilights face, "does that mean we have to read more books?”

“We just have to read enough so that we can organize them into proper headings.” Twilight said sheepishly.

Rainbow Dash glared angrily at Twilight conveying to her how much irritation she felt at having to open another book. Then…she sighed and walked to an empty desk that was covered half-hazard with papers.

“So, uncool.” She said before sitting at the desk and getting to work.

“So Twilight, I have something to ask you.” Applejack said from her seat under a painting.

“Yeah?” Twilight asked from her space on the floor.

They had been in the secret cove for awhile now. Too make sure that the rest of the girls would not start worrying about them Twilight teleported a message to them. Rarity had suggested, with a message back, that they send all the information they found back to main cavern. Twilight had agreed.

Now they could spend however how long they wanted down there without worrying about exactly how they were going to bring the information they found back to the ‘surface’.

Things were once again moving smoothly for them.

“Well Twi I was just wondering, why there were so many paintings in this cavern.”

“Sorry I don’t think I follow.” Twilight said flipping a page in her book.

“Well it’s just that, I know that’s its important to know that these hum-ans here are pony eaters," Applejack said with distance, "but why would they make so many paintings?”

“Well I guess that they wanted to document this aspect of them well.”

“That’s just the thing. Don’t you think they could have done that without covering the whole place with these pictures? It’s like the researchers or whatever was trying to figure something out.”

“Like what.” Twilight said, the book that she was reading temporally forgotten.

“Well I don’t know what, but it just seems like there is a balance in almost every painting, you know, with the different kinds of ponies that are in each painting." Applejack continued when she saw that Twilight was looking at her weirdly, "Well take a look at the paining beside me. There are all three types of pony in it, and the same is almost true for every painting in here.”

Twilight had known that Applejack had been staring at the paintings around her ever since she had forced her to look at the paintings however how long ago. However she didn’t know that the apple farmer was actually studying the paintings and had managed to find something that she had overlooked.

“Why do you think that they did that?” Twilight asked finding that Applejack’s observation was true with every painting she looked at.

“I dun know but it’s mighty strange.”

“Hey Twilight, I got some thing to ask you?” Rainbow Dash asked quietly.

“What is it Rainbow Dash?”

“What’s a Chupacabra?”

“It’s a beast that lived long ago and ate ponies, griffins, cows, and horses alike by draining them of all their blood," Twilight said quoting a textbook she read before. She looked up to Rainbow Dash’s queasy looking face, in the span of seconds the cyan pegasus had lost most of the colour in her face. Suddenly worried Twilight asked her, "Rainbow Dash, why did you want to know what a Chupacabra was?”

Her question was met with silence.

Twilight got more worried, she knew that Rainbow Dash wouldn’t ask a random question just to make small talk, and that there would be no way for her to know that Chupacabras even existed.

Unless...the pegasus had read about it.

“Rainbow Dash what did you find.” Twilight said fear clouding in her voice.

The weather pony looked between Twilight and Apple Jack who was starting to get a worried look on her face as well.

Rainbow Dash began to sweat as their looks intensified the longer she went without answering them.

Finally she spoke, “In this," Rainbow Dash said holding up her book, "The writer here says that humans can be best described as ‘A creature that is a refined mix of a Changeling and a Chupacabra that somehow was able to domesticate itself to the point of not knowing what power laid within it.’”

The cavern was once again silent that bit of information sunk into them.

Slowly Applejack turned to Twilight and asked her in a low anxious voice, "Twilight what in Tartaras does that mean?”

“It means," Twilight said dropping her book and putting it away, "that we really need to find the rest of those bone records, now.”
Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack shared a quick nervous glance before nodding at her.

“We should take different parts of the cavern and look for doors or such. They would probably put the bones in a locked off place so that they wouldn’t get damaged.”

With that the three mares took to different parts of the cavern.

Applejack was doing what Twilight said that needed to be done. She slowly walked along the wall of the cavern looking for some sign of a door, but…should she really be looking this hard?

She slowed to a stop, while those around her kept searching.

She knew that this was a terrible idea. Of course it was. Who the hay in their right mind would be looking for monsters.

They should be going back to Ponyville and after making sure that their families were safe, that every town and city was safe and guarded, they should then go looking for the humans.

Some-human had to answer for what happened in the past.

Of course, she didn’t like the idea of her family taking families apart and forcing them to work, but she didn’t like the idea of some-beast snacking on her family more.

Nopony would notice if she wasn’t looking as hard as she should be, right?

Applejack carefully walked past another part of the wall without actually looking at it.

No harm no foal.

Maybe she could convince Twilight later about bringing some other ponies with them.

They didn’t have to fight, just so the hum-ans or whatever would know that it would be a bad idea to attack them.

After all, what kind of apple would she be if she didn’t look after her family?

She walked past another section of wall without so much of a glace.

“Applejack!”

“I wasn’t doing anything! I mean other then searching. That’s because that was what I was supposed to be doing! Ya’ll can just call me Searching Jack. Ya know with all the searching, I was doing.” Applejack said with an awkward laugh.

“Oookay, anyways I think we found something." Twilight said while looking at Apple Jack in confusion, "Come over here when you’re ready, ah, Searching Jack.”

“Ah ha ha ha, you’re a funny one Twilight!”

“Yes, well then I’m going back to Rainbow Dash.” Twilight said while walking away sparing one last look at Applejack.

Applejack watched as she walked away still smiling and waving.

“Horseapples.” She muttered under her breath.

The three of them stood around the hidden trapdoor.

“So are you sure that’s this is where the bone records are?” Applejack asked.

“Did you find any other hidden doors?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“…”

“I thought so. So how do we get in?" Rainbow Dash then turned sharply to alicorn beside her, "Twilight I swear if you blast the door in I’m bucking you.”

“I wasn’t going to blast the door," Twilight said her horn still aglow with purple light. "I was going to have one of you stomp on the door while I hold it in place. Then when the door is free I will just lightly lift it away.”

Twilight’s magic spread around the door, “There, now just knock the door off its hinges.”

Rainbow Dash walked up to the hatch and began stomping on it.

With a last ground shaking stomp the hatch became loose and Twilight dragged the door away from the hole.

The chilling darkness of the room under them was opened up, allowing visitors once again.

Twilight’s horn lit up again but instead of making a beam of light to lead them down she made a small ball of light at the tip of her horn.

The small but incredibly bright light fell into the hole, and behind it came a cyan pegasus, a alicorn princess and an earth pony covered in a purple light.

They slowly reached the bottom floor of the basement.

The three mares found themselves in the middle of a dark room. All around them was impenetrable darkness that heavily blanketed the hidden research area. The three of them squinted in the darkness trying to make out shapes in the room with the aid of Twilights small light.

“Hey Twi? Can you make that thing any brighter? I can’t see anything down here.” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Okay, I think I got it.” Twilight said.

There was a slight pause before the dark room was filled with an explosion of sustainable light.

“Alright, now let’s see what’s…" Applejack ears fell against her head as her pupils shrunk. She took a few steps back, gaining the attention of the others.

Confused they followed her gaze and shrank back in fear at the sight that lay before them.

"What in Celestia’s Sun is that?” Applejack whispered.

Hanging from the ceiling was a skeleton of a monster that none of them had seen before.

Its body hung from the ceiling in a such a way that it looked like in was about to land or fly off with prey. From its back sprouted two large skeletal wings that were spread wide in a mockery of flight. It's wide open mouth displayed large sharp fangs glinting in the light in the room. Each of its hands and feet ended in sharp points that curved wickedly inward. Thin grooves lined and twisted around the bones of the skeleton that ended and began with holes that bore deep with in the bone.

They stared at the creature in shock, none of them daring to move.

Then Twilight broke away from the group, and ignoring the protests of Applejack and Rainbow Dash, she flew up to it.

With a small pause of nervousness, Twilight got close enough to look into its eyes and the pale white bone at the back of its skull. She was close enough to see that, while lined with incredibly sharp points, the teeth at the back were the flat teeth of an herbivore.

‘At lest I wasn’t lying to them when I said that humans are omnivores.' Twilight thought briefly before further inspecting the human’s mouth. Behind her she could hear Rainbow Dash slowly making her way closer to her.

Twilight focused back to the mouth of human. The flat teeth where then followed by sharper teeth that were, somehow, extremely sharp and flat at the same time. Following that were its fangs.

The fangs jutted from the top and bottom of the mouth making four in total. They looked like they where too big for its mouth, like as if having them out would be uncomfortable after a long period of time. After that came four shovel like teeth, on both the top and bottom jaw, that lined the front of its mouth. Even these teeth had sharp points to them, even if they were quite smaller.

Twilight was so captivated in the studying the human’s mouth that she almost didn’t hear Rainbow Dash behind her.

“Twilight what is that thing?” Rainbow Dash said, while keeping a eye on the claw like appendages on the foreleg and arms of the creature, ‘It looks like it clawed its way from the deeps of the Everfree, no forget that, it looks like it clawed its way from Tartarus itself!”

Twilight spared a glance at her before turning back to the skeleton’s immortal snarl, “I think this is what the researchers before us where trying to hide. This is what happened in the two hundred year gap.”

Rainbow Dash looked between Twilight and the skeleton that was forever caught in pre-landing or was it a pre-attacking position. Suddenly understanding and paling to a more baby blue colour Rainbow Dash grabbed Twilight’s tail getting her attention.

“What the hay! Are you telling me that the humans suddenly grew wings and flew off? That doesn’t even make sense! How is that possible?” The cyan pegasus said while gesturing wildly at the skeleton.

Twilight sighed in resignation realising that she wouldn’t get any work done without at through explanation.

Even though Twilight promised to herself that she would no longer hide information from her friends and believed that her friends could shoulder anytime she told them. She still felt worry.

This newest bit of information wasn’t exactly easy to swallow.

Twilight sighed before turning back to Rainbow Dash, there was no good in putting this further off, “Let’s go back down to Applejack and I will explain everything.”

“Twi, and R.D are ya’ll really telling me that the humans somehow suddenly grew wings and flew off? Now that doesn’t make a lick of sense.”

“Just wait and let me explain," Twilight then turned to pegasus, "Rainbow Dash tell us again how that book described the humans.”

“It said they were ‘a creature that is a refined mix of a Changeling and a Chupacabra that somehow was able to domesticate itself to a point of not knowing what power lay within it." Rainbow Dash then paused to scratch the back of her head, "whatever that means.”

Twilight nodded to her then turned to the farm pony, “Applejack tell Rainbow Dash again what you figured out about the pictures.”

Applejack looked confused then said, “All three types of pony are in each paining.”

“I see, then this situation with the humans is much more complicated then I previously thought…” Twilight said trailing off and gazing back at the hanging skeleton on display, for some reason she could swear that it was now grinning at her.

“Twilight if you haven’t notice not everypony studied under Princess Celestia. I don’t know about A.J but I still don’t know how the humans were able to grow wings and apparently fly away.” Rainbow Dash said angrily pointing to the skeleton.

She turned to them and collected her thoughts before answering them. With a deep calming breath she began again.

“Rainbow Dash, do you remember what I told you about what Changelings and Chupacabras could do and couldn’t do?” Twilight said tensely.

“Yeah that’s easy; Changelings take the forms of other ponies and steal love to eat. I think it kinda sucks though they had to go through their whole lives without eating any real food, and" Rainbow Dash said going pale, "I don’t know what Chupacabras couldn’t do, but I do know that they drank whatever blood they could find.”

Twilight nodded grimly then said, “That’s exactly what I’m worried about," She looked at their confused faces then continued, "Think about it like this. How do you approach a creature that could transform into any form, is smart enough to actively seek out the sub-types of a species to get stronger. Is so through with its kills that it doesn’t even leave a single drop of blood, and could pick and chose what parts of that form it wanted. And to top it all off it can hold said form for thousands of years after it had died?”

“Twilight where in Tartarus did you even get the idea that such a creature could even exist?" Applejack asked in horror, "That sounds like the beginning of one of those horror books that I tell Applebloom not to read.”

Steeling herself for the onslaught, Twilight shakily pointed back to the hanging skeleton.

Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash looked in shock at the skeleton, its old teeth somehow looked much sharper then they did only a few minutes ago.

“No way, Twilight what are we going to do?” Rainbow Dash asked fretfully. This was not something that the pegasus had plan for, sure she could fight anypony that attacked her, but this was too much, this was way too much.

Twilight continued to look up at the suspended body, her look of worry hardening into a look of determination.

“I’m sorry Applejack for doubting you. As always your honest heart was right. We do have to use force if we want to make sure that Equestria is safe from the humans, but we're doing this my way. However," She said looking back at the worried Rainbow Dash and slightly smug smirk Applejack was giving her even if her ears laid flat against her head in fright, "we need more information on how their magic, or what I believe to be magic, works so that I can make the proper suppressors for whatever we might face.”

“What kind of suppressors?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Just something to keep them from using their powers on us, but to do this we need to find out what weakens them.” Twilight looked away from the group and back to the basement they were in.

The place was filled with papers and badly put together books. Like if the pony who made the place didn’t even try to clean up before they left for good. There were even some full human skeletons pushed against the walls of the room with hooks for wires connected to them.

“Whatever we need to find will be in this room," Twilight said, determination strong in her voice, "If we can find a sure weakness, any sort of gap in their strength, then we can chain that strength down. With that we can make sure that we are not entering this fully unprepared.”

“Alrighty then," Applejack said placing her hat firmly on her head a small smile on her lips, "Let’s find us some weaknesses.”

The three ponies then continued through the basement looking for more clues on the best way to trap a human.

They after all, needed to make sure that their friends and families would be safe.