• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 10,846 Views, 580 Comments

Dawn of the Vanguard - Mystic Song



For thousands of years ponies have prospered in Equestria living in peace. For thousands of years humans have prospered in secret living in fear. To ponies the humans are less than a myth. To humans, ponys are death. Once again they shall meet.

  • ...
42
 580
 10,846

False Reassurances

“So did you hear?”

“Hear what?”

Currently Kim, Alec, and Zachery were hanging off the bottom of one of the landing platforms. They were held up by rock climbing harnesses as they checked for cracks or any other things that would cause later problems.

“Oh nothing other than that Sergeant Timmins finally found out who glued his boots to the north barracks roof.”

“Freaking A! When did this happen?” Zachery said momentarily forgetting the task at hand.

“Yah didn’t hear?” Kim said spinning to look at him, “Some yahoo did it in the morning. The good Sergeant had to do his duties in freemen sandals, he was rightfully pissed.”

Zachery hummed to himself, “That explains what happened this morning…”

“What happened?” Alec said while marking another crack with a bright red flag.

“He walked up to me and gave me one of his death glares, and asked me if I did anything stupid this morning.”

“Fucken Rule! And you didn’t turn into stone?” Kim said wide eyed.

“Contrary to popular belief the Sergeant’s glare cannot stop a heart, turn someone to solid stone or make someone see their ancestors.” Zachery then stopped to shutter, “But I would be lying if I said it didn’t feel like death himself was poking at my soul.”

This time it was Alec’s turn to hum, “He probably did that to see if you were the one to pull that prank on him.”

Zachery gave Alec a pointed look as he put another marker down, “Alec I may be an idiot but I’m not suicidal. I don’t even what to know what is going to happen to that sorry bastard.”

“He’s probably going to clip his wings.” Alec said nonchalantly.

Silence wafted through the air. It was only disturbed by the small scraping sounds Alec made as he put more markers up.

Hearing the unusual silence from his teammates Alec turned to look at the Kim’s and Zachery’s shocked and disturbed faces.

“What?” Alec deadpanned at them.

“Sacred shit Alec, you don’t really think that he’s going to clip someone’s wings? Isn’t that a little much for some stupid prank?” Kim said her face slightly green.

“I would agree with you if this was the first time something like this happened,” Alec said blankly taking the time to stretch his arms, they were starting to ache, “but apparently this is the tenth time this happened to the good Sergeant. So whoever did this had it coming to him or her.”

Zachery whistled low at this news, “Well then, that idiot deserves whatever happens. Don’t look at me like that. At least I know when to lay low with my pranks. Still…” He turned to Alec who had continued working, “Timmins’ is not going to fully clip that idiot’s wings, is he?”

“No nothing too bad, probably just going have some of their flight feathers trimmed. He or she would probably just fly awkwardly for a few weeks, maybe a few people would avoid the idiot, but no lasting problems.” Alec said while writing something down.

Both Kim and Zachery let out a sigh of relief.

“I guess we were both a little quick to jump to conclusions on that one.” Kim said getting back to work.

“Yeah,” Zachery said, “it’s not like the Sergeant is going to permanently ground the fool.”

“Yeah, ‘cause we all know what they say, right guys?” Kim said absentmindedly chuckling.

“Yep a grounded human…” Zachery started.

“…is a dead human.” Alec finished.

They were once again surrounded by silence, this time more comfortable as they got back to work.

So where far away from where they working screams were hear as a certain Sergeant cornered his prey.

Back in the main cavern Twilight was just finishing telling the rest of the girls what she, Applejack and Rainbow Dash had found. They had finished earlier with the records in the secret cavern; after they were done they had left nothing but the skeletons of the completed humans.

Feeling that holding back information would be a step in the wrong direction she told them everything, and afterwards she sent a letter to Princess Celestia detailing her findings. Now that everyone was informed about the powers and dangers that the humans posed there was just one thing missing in their quest.

“So, um where exactly are the humans, um if you don’t mind me asking.” Fluttershy said timidly.

“That’s just thing Fluttershy," Twilight said looking at a large map, "I don’t really know exactly. However I have pin pointed a reasonably sized area where the might have gone.”

The map in front of the alicorn princess was a large layout of the world. It showed Equestria and the large ocean that divided Equestria from the Griffin lands. Past the Griffin lands there was a large archipelago filled with large roughly drawn islands that were surrounded by smaller islands. Under the picture of the archipelago was a large label that read.

‘The Forsaken Islands’

Twilight pointed her hoof harshly to the islands, “I believe that this is where the humans have escaped to.”

“How do you know that?” Rarity asked looking at the map.

“I glad you asked,” Twilight said while ignoring Rainbow Dash’s groan, “by using the now complete bone records I was able to track the direction that the humans went during the two hundred year gap, which I will call the ‘escape period’ for future reference. The way in which the remains during the escape period were found show a rushed migration to west side of Equestira, as the humans tried desperately to get to open water.”

“Wait. Don’t tell me that they ran to the ocean and drowned themselves!” Rainbow Dash said candidly, making Fluttershy flinch.

“Oh, Twilight, please don’t tell me that they didn’t do that to themselves, the poor dears…” Fluttershy said softly.

“Fluttershy those poor dears of yours killed countless ponies! You can’t show them any kindness.” Applejack spat angrily.

“But Applejack…”

“No buts, who’s or what if’s.” Applejack said as she glared distastefully at the archipelago, “If y’all saw what we saw you would agree with us. Those humans should be put in chains and be chased out of their little hidden dens for what they did.”

“All of them?” Fluttershy squeaked thinking about how frighten the little helpless families would be.

“Each and every last one of those varmints, don’t ya agree Twilight.” Applejack said turning to Twilight.

“Well I wouldn’t put it in that way, but I do agree with Applejack. They should be force to speak for the actions that they took. Even if it was so long ago. We don’t know if they feel any remorse for what they did. If we bring them to Equestria and keep an eye on them we can determine what to do with them afterwards. And if all goes well we can have them come back to Equestria and live.” Twilight paused then spoke directly to Fluttershy, “Don’t worry Fluttershy we will make sure that the humans won’t hurt you or any of your animal friends.” She finished smiling sweetly at Fluttershy.

“But Twilight…” The Fluttershy said while trying to get her attention.

“Now,” Rainbow Dash said cutting her off, “tell us exactly how’re you’re sure that they didn’t just kill themselves, when they got to the water.”

“I know this because I asked Celestia for the records of strange sightings that the Griffins during that time had reported. They spoke of strange bi-pealed creatures, apparently there are old legends of a huge group of strange beasts that were taller than any other creature of that time walking through the Griffin territories.” Twilight paused to look up at her friends, “I would had believed that these creatures were different then the humans, as in these legends they are seen as silent wanderers that spent most of their time helping the small tribes in exchange for things like water and food before quickly leaving.”

“Now that can’t be right.” Apple Jack said in confusion, “Are you sure those legends don’t talk about humans running around you know killing?”

“Yes, but I believe I have a sound theory on why that is.” Twilight said before hesitating with a gulp, “I believe that while they were helping some of the more known wealthy Griffins they were secretly attacking and eating the smaller and lest know ones. This would allow them to have a good standing in among the Griffin tribes while feeding their need for power. They could do this as the tribes were very spread out during this time.”

“I knew those creatures were good for nothing varmints.” Applejack said venomously under her breath.

“Yeah, so let’s hurry up and kick some pony-eating monster butt.” Rainbow Dash said while slamming her hooves together.

Twilight’s looked at her friends happily believing that everypony was on board. She knew that she had to bring more points to her side if she wanted to insure the safety of the ponies in Equestria. She after all was a princess, and that meant she had to protect Equestria from any outside dangers.

However she didn’t sway everypony on her side.

“Twilight dear,” Rarity asked, “How can you be sure that these brutes did something like that. It seems a little…much. Don’t you think? I mean what could they possibly get from all this terrible destruction?”

“Power.” Twilight said without missing a beat. “They wanted power, if this research is correct, which I believe it is, then with every new magic filled creature that the humans consume the stronger they get. They want power so they did all these horrible things, and that is why we have to stop them.”

“I don’t know Twily,” Pinkie Pie said looking at the determined alicorn, “going to their homes just to chain them down seems like something a meany weany pants would do…”

“Pinkie they were meany weany pants to us first!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed getting into Pinkie Pies face.

“But I thought we were the ones to, uh, bind them first.” Fluttershy said timidly reminding them of King Conquering Wind's deception.

Applejack snorted loudly, “I don’t think we were the meany weany pants in that one.” She stopped when she saw that everypony was looking toward her, “Just hear me out. What if, what if King Conquering Wind knew that the humans were evil. And he knew that the only way for his ponies to be safe was to chain them up so that he could keep them from hurting anypony. Twilight you even said that some of the things that the ponies of that time did to the humans can’t be explain, because there are no actual witnesses. What if they were punished because they had a tendency to gobble random ponies up? What if the deserved everything that happened to them?”

The empty skulls soundless unanswered questions suffocated her every time she entered their presence.

Why?

Why?

Why!?

Why!?

WHY!?

Twilight suddenly felt very sick.

“Don’t…don’t say that.” Twilight said in horror while looking at Applejack, her gaze was intense and it seemed to bore through the apple farmer.

“Twilight? Are you okay there sugar cube?” Applejack said to her still blankly gazing friend.

“D-don’t, don’t…don’t you ever say that. You can’t say that, you can’t ever say that, ok?” Twilight said while her eyes continued to glaze over.

“Twilight I was just…”

“NO, YOU CAN’T SAY THAT EVER AGAIN, OK? EVER!” The purple alicorn screamed into Applejack’s face, or was it past her face and into an old room lined with old cracked ivory.

The large cavern was silence except for Twilight’s heavy ragged breathing.

Twilight then turned her anguished gaze to Applejack casing her to step back.

“No matter what we think, no matter what we find, no matter what we see when we get there. Nopony, no one deserves to have that happen to them, ok?” Twilight said quietly her voice unusually docile voice loud in the deafening silence of the cavern.

“Twilight?” The purple alicorn turned to Fluttershy who was slowly advancing, “Are you okay? If you don’t mind I think that it would be for the best if you had a break.”

Twilight shook her head of the images in the bone room, and turned to Fluttershy and gave her an uneasy smile, “Don’t worry about me Fluttershy, I just lost it a little there. If you don’t mind I want to finish this, it is kind of important.”

Fluttershy looked back to Rarity who silently shook her head.

“Well ok Twilight, but I want you to take a break after you’re done. You shouldn’t push yourself this hard.”

“Thank you Fluttershy, now where was I,” Twilight said while looking back at the map in front of her oblivious to the worried glances around her. Her friends knew that Twilight was still hiding some things from them, which was painfully clear, they just wished she trusted them enough to tell what those things were, “Oh yes the Griffins. Well the records say that the humans made a mostly straight line to the other side of the Griffin Territories, and after that the trail ends again at the ocean. I believe that it’s safe to think that if the humans were able to cross an ocean once, they would be able to do it again. This would bring them to the ‘The Forsaken Islands’.”

“Why would they do to place like that?” Pinkie Pie said looking at the map, the place seemed lonely.

“They would go here because the Forsaken Islands are the hardest places to go in the whole world. They're filled with forests so dense that navigation is impossible, wildlife so dangerous that just tapping your hoof on the wrong rock could warrant your death. And surround by water so unmanageable that ships that ten times the size of an Ursa Minor were reduced to drift wood and their crews drowned by the constant whirlpools that surround the outer islands. The whole archipelago is a deathtrap, and,” Twilight said with a sly smile, “the perfect hiding spot for anyone who is brave or stupid enough to try and live there.”

“So you believe that this here is where the humans are?” Applejack said pointing to the misshapen islands.

“I don’t believe that they are here,” Twilight said smirking while ignoring the tortured chorus of ‘whys’ that played at the back of her mind from empty skulls, “I know that they are here, and I have the perfect thing that will help us capture and talk to one.”

Twilight reached into her bag with her magic and pulled out a number of shapes.

When her friends saw what she made they made sounds in various degrees of shock.

And in various degrees of satisfaction.

Twilight held in her grasp two large pairs of black shackles one for each arm and leg of a creature much larger than a pony. Dark chains dangle from the individually made manacles and pooled on the ground, they rattled against each other with an unearthly noise as Twilight hoisted them higher to give her friends a closer look. They gave off a sense of intense discomfort to the ponies around them, showing the effects of the dark magic that went into making the chains and displaying the cruel reason behind their manufacture. To complete that look a strong dark metal collar floated beside them, two long chains hanged from each side of it.

“I have made the perfect…suppressers, and I know that with these we will be able to capture a human for ourselves.” Twilight said her smile only slightly lopsided, “And then we can come with a safe agreement that would equally benefit both our species.”

“And then they all DIED!” A loud voice screamed out snapping in a deep and vicious baritone.

The voice was quickly followed by the fearful scream of small child. The screams of fear belong to a small girl that quickly covered her head and shut her bright brown eyes trying to get the images out of her head. Her long dirty blond hair was braided down her back and shook with the shivers and plagued her body.

“Stop it! I hate it when you tell scary stories.” The tiny girl said.

“Well, we’s kind of have’s to.” A black haired boy beside her said his dark brown eyes looking over the story he had wrote down on paper.

“But Logan I don’t what to tell scary stories, why can’t we tell a happy story.”

“Because Cathy,” The dark brown haired girl in front of her said, her voice still speaking in a practiced deep baritone, “the assignment said we have to make a story to tell during the campout next week. I am pretty sure that people tell scary stories when they go camping, not stories about ‘The happy Bunny’.”

“What’s wrong with ‘The happy Bunny’? You know I worked really hard on that Emma.” Cathy said looking dejectedly at the story in her hands.

“There’s nothing wrong with your story, it’s just I don’t think that it would be good for a campout.” Emma said her voice changing to a more normal tone, “If we have to tell a story to the younger kids we can read ‘The happy Bunny.’ Ok, so who’s next?”

“I guess that’s me,” the boy beside Emma said. His long wavy blonde hair was tied up in a high pony tail to keep it out of his face. Bright teal eyes looked up to them in uncertainty, “…but I don’t think that I could follow Emma’s story, especially since I can’t change my voice like that.”

“Don’t worry James, even if you can’t be as awesome as me your story is still worth it.” Emma said smiling as she settled down in a beanbag chair.

“Gee, thanks.” James retorted.

“Well hurry its up already, some of us don’t ‘ave all day.” Logan said putting the finishing touches on his story.

“Ok, um, here goes nothing. I guess.” James paused to take a deep breath then slowly started his voice even and soft, “I believe that you have heard of the story of Cerberus of the three headed dog that guards the very gates to hell. The dog that believes there is no difference between man and woman, or child or babe as it consumes all who try to escape equally. Or of the story of the four hundred headed Hydra whose body is so large, that it is believed, it’s very footsteps cause the islands that we live on to sprout from the ocean. Whose scream is so loud that it can peel the skin off of a human and leave nothing but clean bone? I know that you have heard of those stories.

But have you heard of the story of the Alicorn?

Have you heard of the how that they are powerful enough to bring the very planets to their knees? Have you heard of the destruction that they can cause if they so will it? Of the thousands drowned with a gentle push of the moon? Or the millions starve because of the destruction done to thousands of crops, so burned by the sun that not even the locust could feed on the grain left over?

Have your heard?

How they are the unholy mix of the three pony sub-species of earth, air and magic?

How they were born with magic so dark, so old that even the demon king himself dared not to attempt it? How they can slide into the very hearts of men and twist them to do their bidding. How they can rip apart the magic that keeps us together without so much as a sliver of remorse. How they can make hundreds if not thousands turn on their own families with a soft word to the air.

How can you not have heard?

Of thousands dead, of hundreds missing, of families lead to their dooms by parents! Parents that believed that all was well and that internal safety was within their grasp! Of cities destroyed of villages burned! Of bodies that line the streets their stone cold faces contorted in panic as they realised that all was not well and that their futures held only sure and agonizing death!

Have you heard?

I have heard.

From stories long ago, from whispers in the dark, from hushed voices of those afraid.

I have heard.

But, who would believe a rumour?

Who would believe me?”

James kept on looking at the paper as he smiled ruefully at it.

“It isn’t really ready yet, I still need to tweak it in some parts.” James finally looked up at his friends. His eyes widen when he saw the looks that they were giving him, “What. Was it something I said?”

“James…” Emma said her grey eyes wide with disbelief, ‘that was kind of…”

She didn’t know what to say, however Logan did.

“Oi! What ‘da hell kinda of shite are ya’ tryin’ tah pull?” Logan said slamming his hands down on the hardwood underneath him.

“What, I was just…”

“Oh there is no way in hell ‘dat you could believes ‘dat story wasn’t up to standards or whatever! How in the blood soaked Rule did ya’ even come up with a story like ‘dat?”

“My sister told me it…”

“What da’ hell is wrong with your sister!?”

“Hey! There is nothing wrong with Elizabeth!” James said in a huff, “I just told her I needed a scary story and she said I could reference one of her horror books.”

“Um James,” they all turned to Cathy, who had finally pulled herself from under James’s bed, “do you have that horror book with you?”

“Yeah, I brought it so that maybe we could get ideas out of it.”

“Can I see it?”

“Ok.” James opened the bag beside him and pulled out a large heavy book. Then he silently passed it to Cathy.

Cathy took the book and opened it to the first page. She stared at the book in shock re-reading the first page over and over again.

Slowly she looked up at her friends that have been silently watching her the whole time. She casted her shocked gaze on James, who was starting to look uncomfortable under her stare.

“James,” she said still staring at him, “are you sure this is the book that Elizabeth told you to read?”

“I think, she kind of just threw it at me. She was late or something and had to leave quickly.”

“I think she made a mistake. This isn’t a story book.”

“If it’s not a story book then what is it?”

“It’s a history textbook.”

Silence encompassed them as they look at the history book in shock. Cathy’s hands shook as she read over the title of the large textbook again.

“Well I don’t care what it is. All I know is that James’s little story is going to win us this little contest, with the right amount of tweaking of course.” Emma said while rubbing down the goose bumps on her arms.

“Shouldn’t youse, I don’t knows, care more ‘bout how much trouble we’s could gets intos?” Logan said.

“Don’t you want to shove this victory into Michelle’s face?” Emma retorted smugly.

Really Logan did know better. Nico always told him that following the crowd and trying to get revenge would bring nothing but pain. King’s Rule, he’s seen what happens when revenge got out of control. But on the other hand, he really didn’t like Michelle…

“…gives me ‘dat book.”

In Canterlot Castle a certain white alicorn was looking over the notes that her once student had given her.

She was worried.

Not because of the warnings that Twilight have given her, updating her about how the other element bearers were holding up in the cave.

Not because of the bones of what she dubbed the humans ‘complete form’.

Not even what the humans did to ponies of thousands of years passed, her father spared no detail in the recounting of his bedtime stories. Even she knew that most if not all rumours have a morsel of truth to them.

What really bothered her was the way in which Twilight wrote to her about the humans.

In her report Twilight used clip sentences and underlined everything she believed was important twice.

However, everything that she underlined was horribly violent.

At first Celestia believed that Twilight was just giving her an over detailed report, as what she was prone to do. But these details just didn’t feel right to her.

“After extensive research in the depths of these caverns, we have come to the final conclusion that the humans are more dangerous and unpredictable then we first thought. They are prone to extreme out bursts of violence and seem to care not for who they injure as long as they can achieve strength. They seem to work on a base instinctual frame of mind, but have a large enough mental capacity to know the difference between the three pony sub-species. This proven with how they used their dormant type of magic to gain an advantage over their pony masters by singling out desired traits. We believe that they did not feel remorse as they harvested these traits from ponies.”

“Due to this change of event’s we believe that it would best to confront the humans with a more armed approach. This is to reduce the dangers that the element bearers and I would face when dealing with this species.”

What could have Twilight found to change her stance on the humans so much? She didn’t know the answer to that question and that was truthfully bothering her greatly.

Not once in the letter did Twilight write about coming to an overall peaceful solution for both species.

Why did Twilight speak of the humans as if they were an immediate threat? She even wrote that they should fortify some of the villages on the boarder of the sea in case of negative retaliation. How could her once student become so distrustful of the human race?

“Because she realised that our father was right to tie them down.”

She snapped to attention.

Where in Tartarus did that thought come from?

Slowly she reached out with her magic to grab the teapot beside her; she needed to clear her head. Celestia tried to focus on her drink as new thoughts began to enter her mind.

“We always knew that father couldn’t do such things without cause, even when your former student told you otherwise. Are you still going to ignore the truth that father laid out for us?”

Celestia quickly got up from her throne, she really needed to clear her head and drinking tea was not helping. The day court would start again at noon, she had time.

She quickly made her way to the gardens. There was nothing that was so stressful that calm walk through the royal gardens couldn’t fix.

Celestia closed her eyes and deeply inhaled. Instantly the smell of the hundreds of flowers entered her. Sunflowers, weeping bells, carnations, bleeding hearts…

“Just like that stupid stallion who felt pity for those humans that he dug out of the ground.”

Celestia’s eyes snapped open.

She stared in horror at the flower in front of her. The once pure white Carnation was now an unearthly deep red.

Red like the sky before dusk.

Red like the blood spilling from wounds of those who couldn’t get away.

Deep red like the blush on Shinning Amour’s and Cadence’s faces when they told her of their engagement.

Deep red like gunk that bubbled from a human in one of her father’s stories.

Black red like the exotic fruits sent to her from Zebrafrica.

Black red like the snakes of dried blood that leak from a long dead body.

In a violent flash of bright white light Celestia disappeared from the gardens. In her haste she knocked the heads off of the dark red carnations around her. She reappeared in front of the dark blue door of Luna’s room.

“Luna!” She shouted as she slammed through the door and into darkened room.

The princess of the night shot up in bed. Her usually neat hair was in a tangled mess, and her eyes shone a bright white as she tried to see through the darkness.

“Wha?’ Luna slurred as she whipped her head around looking for danger, ‘Sister why hast thou wakened us from our slumber? Hast our fair nation of Equestria fallen under attack?”

Celestia foregoes talking to her sleepy sister, instead she wrapped her hooves around Luna’s neck and began to cry into her shoulder. Luna jolted from her sleepiness due to her sisters tears calmly stroked her sister’s mane and stayed silent as her sister continued to cry.

When Celestia’s sobs decreased into small hiccups Luna spoke.

“Sister what hast cause thou such misery? We plead that thou tell us. Such sorrow should not be burdened alone.”

“Luna, I think…I think that there is something terribly wrong with me.”

“Tia we hast known that for many years.” Luna said with humour.

“No, Luna you don’t understand. I believe that my heart is being clouded with darkness...the very same darkness that, changed you.” Celestia said keeping her head down.

Luna pulled away to get a good look at Celestia’s face. A damp tear stained face looked back at her. Her pink eyes were wide red rimed standing starkly against her damp white fur and deflated pastel coloured mane. In the Celestia’s eyes Luna could see fear, uncertainty, panic, and to her shock, small traces of hate and uncontrolled anger.

“Celestia,” Luna said while keeping her eyes on Celestia’s own, "start from the beginning and tell me everything.”

Celestia slowly nodded before speaking, ‘It all started when Twilight told me of an old tome that she had found…”