• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 894 Views, 27 Comments

The Last Laugh - Gandalf158



Pinkie Pie is gone. Now her friends are going to tell the story of her last days....

  • ...
1
 27
 894

Applejack

Author's Note:

Hey, I just wanted to say, I had to rewrite this chapter, but I'm still not sure about it. If you think that it needs to be better, please tell me, I want this story to be the best that it can be.

The Last Laugh
By: Gandalf158
Chapter 5: Applejack

The next day, Ah went over to Sugarcube Corner to help Pinkie with bakin' fer the Party. This being the last party she was gonna throw, she wanted to bake two dozen of every kind of cupcake recipe she knew, an' let me tell ya, that mare knew a lot of recipes, including some really weird ones.

"Two dozen Piña Colada Surprise, check!!"

"What's next, Pinkie?"

"Hmm. Only two more batches to go! We still have to make Sapphire Vanilla for Spike, and my Special Super-Duper Mega Berry Supreme recipe, after that, we're done! Unless you wanna help bake some cherrycangas! Or should it be chimicherr-"

"Please don't start that again, Pinkie."

"Alright! Now come on, we've still got a little baking to do!"

So we mixed, poured, and baked the last batches, then put them in the Corner's freezer. After that, we walked outside.

"You 'n Rarity did a good job on decoratin' this place." Ah said.

"Thanks Applejack!"

It was another beautiful day out: birds singin', critters scurryin' around, an' everypony goin' about their business as usual. Ah've noticed we'd been havin' quite a few "nice days" since the diagnosis, and it didn't seem right fer the weather to be this nice, all things considered. But then again, if it were all rainy out, nopony would be able to do anythin' outside, and the Party would have to be confined to the cramped inside of Sugarcube Corner.

"So, Pinkie, what do ya wanna do now?" Ah asked her.

"Hm... maybe you could finally teach me your special Apple Fu!" she stuck a fighter's pose and nearly fell over.

"On second thought," she said, getting back to her hooves, "maybe we should do something else."

"Agreed.” Ah looked up at the clock tower an’ noticed it was about time fer lunch, so Ah made a suggestion, “How about we go back to the farm an’ have some of Granny Smith’s cookin’?”

“That’s a great idea!” Pinkie said, an’ we were off.

We got there just in time for mah sister and her friends to knock Pinkie and me down.

“Sorry Applejack.” Scootaloo chuckled nervously, helpin’ us to stand back up.

“No harm done! What are you three up to? Is it something fun and adventurous?” Pinkie said, somehow all in one breath.

“We’re gonna try ‘n get our cutie marks in spa workin’!” Apple Bloom said, earnin’ an audible groan from Scootaloo.

“Ooh! That sounds fun! Tell Aloe and Lotus I said hello!” Pinkie said.

“We will. Come on girls, we only have four more hours until the spa closes!” Sweetie Belle said before trotting off.

We walked into the kitchen to the smell of apple pies being baked. Granny Smith was cookin’ lunch, and Big Mac was just gettin’ back from the fields.

“Afternoon, Pinkie, sis.” he said, goin’ upstairs to wash up fer lunch.

“Hi Big Mac! Hi Granny Smith!” Pinkie said.

“Oh, hello, dear. Are you stayin’ fer lunch?”

cabbage stew.”

“Ooh! That sounds good!”

A half hour later, the table was set, and Pinkie, Big Mac, Granny Smith, and Ah were sittin’ and eatin’ some of the best stew Granny had ever made. Pinkie was on her second bowl, while the rest of us were barely getting done with our first. Honestly, Ah’ll never know where she puts it.

“I was right, it is very good!” she said, finishing her third bowl.

“Ah’m glad ya think so, dear.” Granny replied with a smile.


“I need about twenty barrels of Sweet Apple Acres cider, if you can spare it.”

“Of course we can, dear! In fact, y’all should break into the Reserve. It’ll be goin’ bad in a few months anyway.” Granny said.

“Are you sure? That stuff is pretty expensive.” Pinkie said, lookin’ a bit unsure.

“Not when you’re the ones who make the cider. Come on, Big Mac, we got some barrels to move.” Ah said.

“Eeyup.”

We finished lunch an’ cleaned up the kitchen an’ dinin’ room, and got right to work.

Thirty minutes later, twenty barrels of Sweet Apple Acres Special Reserve cider moved, ten each, by me and Big Mac were laid to rest in Sugarcube Corner’s store room. There was plenty of room, the Cake’s kept most of the ingredients upstairs in the pantries.

“Thanks for this, really. This means a lot to me.” Pinkie said as we unloaded the last of the barrels.

“You’re welcome, Pinkie! Glad I can help.” we turned to leave, when Mrs. Cake cleared her throat.

“Why don’t you two come upstairs and have some cake? It’s the least we can do.”

“Thank you fer the offer, ma’am, but Ah’ve still got chores to do on the farm.” Big Mac said, not even stoppin’.

“Won’t you stay Applejack?” Pinkie asked.

“It’s alright, me ‘n Bloom can handle it.” Mac said.

“Okay, Ah’ll stay. Thank you Mrs. Cake.”

Pinkie smiled, and the four of us went upstairs to eat the Cake’s famous Germane Chocolate cake.

It was some of the best cake Ah’d ever tasted, and the saddest Ah’ve ever seen the Cakes. They tried to be brave, but Ah could tell they were barely holdin’ back. Pinkie just carried on like nothing was wrong. In fact, she was just finishing up tellin’ us some story or another.

“...And then I was like, ‘Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!’”

The story made no sense to me, but Ah lauged anyway. She started to tell another, when the twins started bawlin’.

“Ooh! I’ll take care of it!” she said before zippin’ into their nursery.

“Ah should be goin’. Ah need to get up early tomorrow if Ah’m gonna get my chores done in time fer the Party. Goodnight, Pinkie! Mr.and Mrs. Cake.” Ah said, tippin’ mah hat.

That night, Ah didn’t sleep a wink...