• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 895 Views, 27 Comments

The Last Laugh - Gandalf158



Pinkie Pie is gone. Now her friends are going to tell the story of her last days....

  • ...
1
 27
 895

Twilight

The Last Laugh
By: Gandalf158
Chapter 1: Twilight

It all started roughly a day or two after the diagnosis, Pinkie decided that her last days were going to be spent with her friends instead of in a hospital waiting for a cure that will never come. That day, she decided to spend the entire day with me, so we went to the Everfree forest to catalogue plant life on the edge of the forest. She was currently hopping from bush to bush gathering up all the different kinds of flowers she could. Pinkie Pie came forward after her last foray into the bushes, forelegs laden with daffodils.

"Alright, Spike, add daffodils to the list of plants found here in the forest. Scientific name Narcissus pseudo-narcissus." I said looking at the baby dragon.

Spike wrote down the information. As he finished, Pinkie dove back into the bushes, startling a small family of quail that had apparently made their nest in the bush. After apologizing to the birds, Pinkie kept looking around for more flowers. All things considered, she was really cheery, too cheery for a girl whose days were numbered. That, and today was just too beautiful; the birds were singing, I saw a couple of squirrels and other critters scurrying around. Nearly five minutes later, Pinkie popped up with more flowers.

"Hey Twilight, what kind of flower is this?" I took a look, they were pretty, the same shade of cotton candy pink as Pinkie's mane, and looked like a cross between tulips and daisies, but I had no idea what they were.

"I don't know, maybe they're a new breed?"

"What should I put it down as?" Spike asked.

"Until we know what kind of flower they are, put them down as Pinkamenas." I said.

"Thank you Twilight! I always wanted a flower named after me!" Pinkie was bouncing with happiness at my decision.

"Pinkie, how are you so upbeat?" I glared at Spike.

"Spike! Don't bring that-"

"It's okay Twilight. People have been asking me that for the past few days. Spike, I'm the Element of Laughter. I always see the positive side of things, silly!"

"What positive side? You only have three weeks to live!" at this, Pinkie Pie stopped for just a moment and thought for a moment.

"That means I have three more weeks to spend with my friends. See? Positive!" "I just don't understand how you can smile and laugh when you're dying, is all." Spike and I were on the verge of tears, but Pinkie was still giddy as ever.

"Come on now, we've got more flowers to find!" With that, she delved back into the bushes. Spike and I dried our eyes and looked at each other.

"Well, if she can see the positive, so can we Spike. Let's go." We foraged around for thirty more minutes, then I spoke up.

"Pinkie, I just want you to know, we'll miss you. You're one of the best friends I've ever had."

"Don't talk like that, Twilight. Miss me when I'm gone, for now, let's live our lives."

"Alright. Oh, I almost forgot, I've got to get back to the library; Cheerilee is bringing the kids from her class over for a research project!"

"Ooooh! Can I help? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!" Pinkie asked, hopping up and down and smiling her trademark smile.

"Sure. That would be great, Pinkie, I could use the help."

We walked back to town in relative silence, save for Pinkie's occasional humming. On our way to the library we passed several ponies just going about their business. As we walked past, they looked up at us with solemn looks in their eyes. As per her usual, Pinkie Pie was all smiles and waves as we made our way to the large tree me and Spike called home. As we approached the library, Cheerilee was already at the front door.

"Sorry I'm late, Cheerilee, I was cataloging flowers with Pinkie and Spike and lost track of time."

"Quite alright, Twilight." I let them in and went to work, helping kids find books, answering questions, and the like.

Pinkie also went to work, doing essentially the same thing as me. The children asked questions about the ponies they were going to do their report over, where the restroom is, that sort of thing. For the most part, everything was going well, Pinkie was busy doing….whatever it is that Pinkie Pie does. There were a few close calls, a young Earth Pony nearly knocked over a stack of books onto Sweetie Belle, but at the last moment, Spike stopped it from falling. After about an hour, most of the fillies and colts had left, but three stayed behind.

"Miss Sparkle, can ya help us find a topic fer our research project?" Applebloom asked in her thick, Southern accent.

"Certainly, what did you have in mind?" I asked.

"We want it to be over somepony that is totally awesome!" Scootaloo said, channeling Rainbow Dash almost perfectly.

"How about an athlete, we have a pretty small selection of sports books, but that could be something to look into." I said.

"No, somepony we know. Somepony from around here!" Sweetie Belle said.

"How about Rainbow Dash? She's pretty... awesome."

"Nah, we thought about it, but there's not enough stories about her." Apple Bloom said.

"Ooh! I know! How about Twilight! She's saved Equestria three times!" Pinkie said.

"That'll work! We've got the best source of information about her right here!" Sweetie Belle said, gesturing to me with a grin.

"Yeah! You're awesome Twilight!" Scootaloo said.

After this, Pinkie Pie handed me a note and left. After the girls had asked me their questions and had left, I opened it. It read;

Twilight, you are cordially invited to my big "Goodbye-Everypony-I'll-Miss-You party at Sugarcube Corner at 8:00 Friday two weeks from today. I really hope to see you there. -Pinkamena Diane Pie

I sent out a note to her RSVPing immediately…