• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 2,995 Views, 111 Comments

The One They Call Phoenix - Always Shipper6



CJ is your average college student, untill something drastic happens.

  • ...
7
 111
 2,995

Chapter 4

CJ and the Mane 6 walked into Sugarcube Corner, and saw that almost nopony was around except for a red stallion. He had a half apple as his cutie mark, had an orange colored mane and tail which were both cut short. He also seemed to be quite tall, even though he was sitting down.

"Hey girls, who's that pony over there?" CJ asked out of curiosity.

"Oh, that's mah brother Big Macintosh, you should go introduce yourself. He won't hurt ya, but he's not much of a talker." Applejack replied.

"That's fine, If I don't know you, I'm a man of few words myself." CJ watched as Applejack and the rest of the girls went over to a free table, waiting for someone to get their order. CJ decided to walk over and say hi to Big Mac, hoping nothing could go wrong. He started to walk over, but stopped.

'Wait, I'm not a pony, I'm nothing nopony's ever seen, so should I actually go over and introduce myself to Applejack's brother. I'm still hurt from where Applejack hit me, should that same accident happen with her brother, would I even survive? CJ stood there and pondered for a while on this subject. 'Oh, fine. What have I got to lose. Well, besides my life...and whatever dignity I have left after what happened earlier today. CJ blushed a bit out of embarrassment remembering what happened at the hospital earlier that evening. He walked over to the table and noticed Big Macintosh was looking at him. He didn't even seem phased, CJ was stunned by this. 'Wow, not even a flinch or a word. Either this pony is fearless, or he has some serious-'

"Uh, what in tarnation are you?" Big Mac finally spoke up, being the first one to speak.

"Oh, m-me. I-I'm a human, I come from a different world." CJ told him the whole story of how he got here, what happened, and how he ended up in Sugarcube Corner.

"Ah see. Well, I'm guessin if your fine with AJ, then youre fine with me." CJ let out a content sigh at this, but not for long.

"However, if you ever lay a hand on mah sister or her friends, ah will buck you 3 ways to next Sunday." CJ started sweating, and started stuttering while he talked.

"O-Ok, will d-do. B-By the w-way my n-names C-CJ, n-nice to m-meet you." CJ saw Big Mac put on a smile, he relaxed a little at that. 'THANK GOD!'

"Nice ta meet you too, now as long as you don't hurt anypony, well, anypony important to me, we will be just fine." CJ completely relaxed after that, now knowing they were on good terms.

"Don't worry...Um..."

"Big Macintosh, you can call me Big Mac."

"Ok, don't worry Big Mac, I don't plan on hurting anypony unless they want to hurt any of those over there." CJ points over to where the Mane 6 are sitting, and still waiting to get their orders. 'Ok, we're in Sugarcube Corner, where Pinkie works, and Pinkie doesn't know that she can just go fix the stuff they order?'

"Alright then, ah'm gonna head back to tha farm. Ah need ta get ta bed, it is actually pretty late." Big Mac got up from the stool he was sitting on. CJ watched as he stood up. He could easily come up to CJ's shoulders, and he was taller than anypony there. He was also built better than anypony there as well, he could easily kill CJ with one good hit to the chest.

"Ok Big Mac, I'll see you around."

"Eeyup." Big Mac walked out of Sugarcue Corner, and CJ heard a slight ringing as the bell shook back and forth from where the door hit it. CJ walked back over to the girls, noticing they were still waiting for their order.

"Ummm, hasn't anypony gotten their order yet?" They all looked at him as he sat down on a stool.

"Well, we were going to wait for you to get over here, but now that your here we can order." Twilight stated. CJ kind of felt bad for making them wait, he didn't want them to wait, he hated making people wait.

"Sorry girls, I know sometimes I can be slow. I hate making people wait, that's why I try to do everything fast."

"I-It's ok CJ, I'm pretty sure they don't mind...I-I mean I don't mind at all...and I-I'm pretty sure that...." Fluttershy let out a squeak and hid behind her mane, looking around everywhere except at CJ.

'OH GOD, SO MUCH D'AWWWWWWW' CJ quickly got his mind off that and went back to paying attention to the girls.

"It's fine CJ, besides, you need to get to know everypony. Big Mac is a good start, most ponies respect him a lot, mostly because he protects the town. Sometimes though, a guard or two has to help. Some of the monsters are a bit tough, even for him." Twilight exclaimed, and an idea popped into CJ's head.

"Well, if he has trouble and needs help, I'd gladly be able to help him." The girls gave CJ a worried look, except for Applejack. She was as calm as can be.

"O-oh no CJ, that's a very dangerous task. Big Mac has learned to handle himself in a fight, except with a manticore. He couldn't even be able to take one on by himself." Fluttershy said in a worried tone.

"It's fine girls, really. I can handle myself in a fight, remember, the nickname." They all nodded their heads, still looking worried.

"Ok, how about this, I help out Big Cam next time in a small fight, and if I come back unscathed I'll do the job. However, if I come back even with a hair out of place, I won't do it." They all seemed to lighten up, except for Applejack, CJ believed the cider she got was getting to her.

"Um Applejack?" CJ asked.

"O-Oh yea, sorry, just remembering something. Ah'll be fine, but I have ta get goin'. Got to get up early in the mornin' to start Applebuckin'. It's almost Zapapple season ya know." Applejack stood up, waved goodbye and walked out the door. The rest, including CJ, waved as she walked away. Her cider was half empty, he thought again, 'From what I've read in fanfics, that couldn't even make Applejack the tiniest bit tipsy. I wonder what's wrong, or maybe she was just really tired. Oh well, I'll ask later...if I remember.

"Well girls, where am I going to stay tonight, that is, if any of you will allow me. I don't mind sleeping outside, and I usually use my clarinet case as a pillow." The girls got wide eyed, and looked at each other, then turned back to CJ.

"Well, since he doesn't have wings, my place is out of the question." Rainbow dash said. 'Awww, and here I thought I could sleep on a cloud...ohh well.' CJ let out a little laugh inside his head.

"Well darling, I'm really sorry, but my boutique is just filled with all of my new designs for this years Hearts and Hooves Day." Rarity said. 'Well, wait...Hearts and Hooves....oh shit.'

"I WOULD!...but Mr and Mrs Cake live here, along with Pound Cake, Pumpkin Cake, and myself here. This house is filled to the brim with ponies!" Pinkie said with her normal happy tone. 'Whew, that would've been madness.

"Twilight, Fluttershy. What about you two?" CJ asked, hoping he could stay with at least one of them. He said he liked sleeping outside, but that was so he didn't make them worry about him. He actually hated sleeping outdoors. The day he arrived in Equestria, he kind of dozed off in the field back on Earth. The warm sun beaming down on him, songs stuck in his head, the calming sound of birds singing off in the distance, the slow rolling clouds. All of these made him feel at ease, and then he woke up in the middle of an earthquake and ended up here. He wasn't complaining, instead, he was thanking the earthquake for bringing him here. He finally felt like he had a purpose here, like he could make the life he couldn't have had back on earth.

"Well, I would, but it's a bit packed with me, Spike, and all of my books. Not to mention that my room is small, and is usually littered with books from my studying. I'm sorry CJ, but I can't." CJ was hoping that she would say yes, he always liked being in a library. There was something about it. The smell of the old books, the humming of the computers off in the distance. Well, back on earth anyways. The interesting stories that the library held, which he found as a way to escape reality. The vast assortment of characters and people in the books, the wars, the romance, the comedy, the slice of life, those were all his favorite kind of books to read. He would always be playing his clarinet, reading fanfics, or reading in general in his spare time.

"It's ok Twilight, but I think I'll stop by the library soon and see what you have to read. I haven't read a good book in a while. That is, if it's in a language I can read." Twilight nodded.

"Ok CJ, I'll tell Spike to let you in. Just be careful to not let anypony see you. We want to make sure they're ready for you. You should've seen how they reacted to Zecroa. If they reacted that way towards her, just thing how they'll react to you."

"Ok Twilight, will do. Now, that only leaves Fluttershy." They all look over to Fluttershy, who is hiding behind her mane again.

"W-Well, I-I g-guess h-he c-could. I-I mean, I have a spare bedroom for the bigger animals to sleep in w-when they're sick, s-so I-I guess you c-could use t-that room." CJ became very ecstatic with her answer. He got to stay with his favorite pony's, besides Luna, house. 'Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes...ok...calm down...stop fangasming...and keep calm....you need to keep control...keep...control...omgomgomgomg...KEEP CONTROL DAMNIT!...ok...I think I'm good.'

"You sure Fluttershy, I don't want to be a bother." CJ was acting kind, just because he wanted to be the good guy, and not the guy that willingly accepts the offer out of desperation. Yes, he was desperate, but he didn't want to bother anypony.

"I-It's fine CJ, I-I don't really mind." CJ let out a little squeal in his head out of excitement.

"Girls, we better be leaving. I forgot to tell you that there was supposed to be a bad thunderstorm tonight. The weather team got way behind and had to double the rain and lightning to make sure everything was back in order." Rainbow Dash said before she took off out of the door.

"Well, then I must hurry and get back to the library. I've been needing to get an experiment done that requires this kind of weather." Twilight said before she walked out, waving goodbye just as Rainbow did, except it wasn't a blur no one could make out.

"CJ darling, come see me tomorrow about some clothes ok. You don't need to be wearing that all the time. Besides, why do you wear clothes so often anyways?" Rarity asked before she walked out the door.

"That's another story for later, tomorrow maybe, If I have time." 'What am I saying, I have no job, no money, and have nothing to do. I have all the time in the world. So why?'

"Ok then darling, I'll see you tomorrow whenever you show up. I have a big order to fill out before the weeks up. Tata for now." Rarity waved and walked out, then it was just me, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy.

"Well, I'm sorry guys, but the shop is closing for the night. It's 11:00, so you two need to get going." Pinkie said, pushing them out of the door.

"Okay Pinkie, see you tomorrow?" CJ asked, hoping a party wouldn't happen. He wasn't ready for that just yet.

"Sure!" Pinkie said with excitement. 'Oh god, what have I done...should it be god...or Celestia now?...I think I'll say Celestia...I think it's more fun to say that anyways.'

"W-well, shall we g-get going t-then CJ?" Fluttershy asked, blushing and hiding behind her mane a little.

"Oh, of course. I'm sorry, lets go. We need to hurry before it starts raining." Fluttershy nodded, and he started following her to her house.

They got about halfway to her house, then it started sprinkling. Hearing the rain hitting trees and bouncing off his jacket made CJ relax and admire the little view he had, even though it was dark. Fluttershy just ignored it all and kept walking. After a while, they saw lightning and Fluttershy stopped, then came the thunder. Fluttershy hunkered down, hoofs over her head and started whimpering.

"What's wrong Fluttershy? You ok?" Fluttershy stood back up just as the rain started pouring, instantly soaking them both. CJ took off his jacket and put it over Fluttershy. She stopped and looked up at him.

"O-Oh, t-there's no n-need to do that CJ, I'll be ok." Fluttershy gave CJ an assured smile and began to take off the jacket, just as another lightning strike hit the ground. Fluttershy got wide eyed and just stood there, then came the thunder again. This one was closer, and louder than the last, so she jumped into CJ's arms.

"F-Fluttershy, are you ok?" CJ had a very concerned look on his face. He wasn't going to let anything happen to this pony while he was around. She didn't respond, just sat there in his arms, shivering and whimpering.

"Ok, I think I see your house off in the distance, I'll carry you there," Another lightning strike hit the ground, even closer this time. Then the thunder boomed in CJ's ears. He watched as Fluttershy just nuzzled closer to him, scared that something might happen. 'I want..no, I WILL protect this pony with every inch of my heart, I swear to my nickname, I WILL protect this pony. Still, this is SO DAMN CUTE.' CJ thought about something, then thought he'd do the reference. 'Vegeta! What does the scouter say about her D'AWWW level?...IT'S OVER 9000!....WHAT, OVER 9000! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!....hahaha, ohh man, I love that reference. Anyways, looks like were here.'

CJ walked up to a small door, and ducked under it to get inside. He looked around, it wasn't much, but it was perfect for him. Simple, but not too simple, and the roof was even tall enough that his hand's wouldn't touch it even if he stretched. It smelled of grass, wood, and flowers. 'Oh Celestia, this is going to kill my allergies...but I have one thing to say to that...totally worth it.' There were bird houses hanging from the ceiling, a fireplace with a chair in front of it. CJ decided to sit down in front of the fireplace, which was going for some weird reason. 'Maybe it detects the temperature outside and turns on when needed, that's kind of cool I guess.' He sat down, soaked, and a sleeping Fluttershy in his arms. He kept her in his arms and began to doze off in front of the fireplace. He saw lightning strike outside again, and then heard the thunder that accompanied it. He saw Fluttershy's face go from one of comfort to frightened. 'Even in her sleep, she gets scared.' CJ started petting her mane, letting her know someone was there.

"No need to worry Fluttershy, you're safe, and I'm here for you. I'll always be here for you. When everypony is gone and your alone, remember, I'm here." He sat there for a bit just petting Fluttershy, but he soon fell asleep in the chair, Fluttershy still in his arms sleeping peacefully with a content smile on her face.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Meanwhile, in Canterlot Castle. Luna is up finally finishing something, and turns around to see a guard standing behind her.

"Speak Star Gazer, there's no need to be scared of me. Yet." Luna gave Star Gazer a smile.

"Y-Yes Princess. The preparations are near completion. Are you sure he will be able to make it through all....this?" He looked out of a window and to the ground below. He saw many dark shadows on the ground, and something even bigger in the background.

"If he is to gain my trust, then yes, he must. However, if he dies, I don't know what my sister will think. We must not let her know about this. You say nothing of this to her, alright Star Gazer."

"Y-Yes Princess, I shall keep my word." He started to walk out, then Luna stopped him.

"Star Gazer, wait a minute."

"Yes Princess?" Star Gazer turned around to see the princess writing something down.

"Wait until tomorrow morning to send this, and don't open it. It's something private to CJ alone, not even Twilight can open it. Make sure she knows that, now go. I have some last minute planning to do."

"Yes Princess."

Star Gazer walked out and closed the door behind him. 'Why is she going through all this for one guy. There must be something she's trying to find out about him. I just hope he survives. Even the General of the Royal Guard would have a very hard time going through that. He would probably live within an inch of his life at most, but still. Luna, I hope this plan goes as planned.'


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Well, I feel accomplished...this in one night...ohh yea =D..btw readers, it's now spring break. If I don't go camping with my friends, I plan to have 2-3 chapters up this week =D..btw I'm going to try to keep my chapter length from 2000-3000 words. That is, if I don't get carried away. See everypony next time, Always Shipper6 out.