• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 662 Views, 42 Comments

The Journalist - redspark



A normal journalist who works for the Newspaper suddenly finds herself into something she really didn´t expected to write about. In the low places of Canterlot she must seek a way to make her stories more interesting, but how?

  • ...
1
 42
 662

Best Story Ever!

Chapter 5
Best Story Ever!

Nimble Hoof stared at "The Daily Hoof´s" main building with her heart beating fast and hard. She had her story written inside her cloak, but she wasn´t sure if the boss would accept it. It wasn´t something like news, but more like a story. Maybe he was not going to like it?

Nimble Hoof had safely returned to the safe house and headquarters of the ponyhood, and was congratulated by all, especially the unicorn (whom she had finally gotten his name, Hightip). They had all thanked her for distracting the shadow pony, and had agreed with Silent Mane that she had a future in Lower Canterlot. Still, she had needed to return to her house. Silent Mane had visited her every day and helped her with the story, using not only her perspective but also Silent Mane´s. Now, the week time lapse the old grey Pegasus of “The Daily Hoof” had given her was over. She needed to give him the story she had this day or she was done.

She sighed and gulped fast before walking towards the huge crystal entrance of the building. It made her feel small every time she walked inside. She pushed open the doors and walked inside the lobby. The lobby was full of ponies doing their day´s work, and some tourists on a tour around, and the security guards… She was going to miss seeing that if she got fired.

The elevator was on the right side of the lobby. She walked towards it and clicked the up button. She heard the sound of the elevator moving. The bell sounded as the doors opened, announcing the elevator had arrived. She stepped in and the doors closed. The elevator began going up to the button she had pressed.

She stared at the door with a blank expression. What was going to happen? Was she going to get fired or was her story good enough? She didn´t had the answers for that, but she prayed deep inside her that it was good, if not just good, AMAZING!

The elevator bell sounded and the door opened. She stepped into the top floor of the building, breathing slowly trying to calm her nerves and her beating heart. She saw the boss´s door half opened and walked towards it. She was shaking slightly… why was she so nervous and… and scared, at the prospect of getting fired when she had just been almost killed not less than a week ago? She knocked the door slightly.

“Come in!” said the grey Pegasus´s voice from inside. She walked in. The Pegasus was busy trying to open a box of bubblegum that seemed to be made to not letting ponies open it. He groaned and placed it back on the desk and looked up at Nimble Hoof. “Ah! Miss Hoof, I thought you were not going to come.” He said with a smile. “I hope you bring something good.” Hs voice had a little threat on it.

Nimble Hoof nodded. “Yes sir, I have this.” And she passed it to him. The Pegasus’s eyes the papers fast and then began to read. Slowly, his eyes lifted and surprise covered his face. He slowly left the papers down and looked at her. “Is there something wrong, sir?” she asked, her ears lowering a little. The Pegasus cleared his throat.

“I…” he began, but didn´t seemed to know what to say. “You know Miss Hoof, I really don´t know what to say… it´s great, yes, but not what I was expecting.” He looked at the papers again. “Very clever, getting a story like this, from someone else´s life. Also, Lower Canterlot? How did you managed to get someone from down there telling you something? We once tried to get news from there, but our ponies either got kidnapped or disappeared.” He smiled. “I guess we need someone with news from down there. Congratulations Miss Hoof, you´re back on business!”

Nimble Hoof smiled and said “Thanks so much sir! I will get you more!” She was going away when the Pegasus said.

“Miss Hoof, who is this ‘Swift Mane’ that told you this?”

Nimble Hoof smiled at the mention of the name the ponyhood had given her. “It´s someone I cannot reveal, sir. For her safety, at least, and also for a promise.” She closed the door and smiled. She was in again! She ran at the elevator and quickly pressed the down button. She was going to tell Day!

She ran out of the building with a wide smile on her face. She then went at full gallop to the hotel Day had told her he was staying. She saw the huge golden-stone hotel and she entered. The Hotel was higly illuminated and immediately as she entered, a pony at the entrance asked:

“Do you have a reservation Miss?”

Nimble Hoof shook her head. “No, I came to see a friend of mine who´s staying here. His name is…” she was interrupted by a pony touching her back.

“Hey Nimble Hoof, I wondered why you had not come here before to visit me.” Day said. Nimble Hoof turned around and smiled. “You can go, thanks.” He said to the pony beside them. The pony nodded slowly and walked away. “I thought you had problem s when you returned down there.” She said reffering to Lower Canterlot.

Nimble Hoof shook her head slightly. “No, in fact, my boss loved the story. He wants more!” she said in an enthusiastic voice. Day shook his head. “What?”

“You know Nimble; I should never had told you that idea. I don´t know what got into my mind, but it´s dangerous. You could get killed, or something worse. I don´t like you to go down there.”

“But I don´t go alone” she replied. “I go with Silent Mane, he helps me and is teaching me all that he knows. In fact, I saved them all their lives.” She looked around, making sure no one was hearing. “You will see that in tomorrow´s newspaper.” Day shook his head again. “Come on, aren´t you happy for me?”

He looked at her. “Yes, I am, but it´s dangerous.”

She smiled. “Don´t worry, I´m well cared in there. I will go tonight, by the way, to learn something more from Silent Mane.” She smiled. “You tell me later what do you think about the sotry, when you read the newspaper.”

Day smiled slightly. “I will.” Nimble Hoof began to turn around to leave. “And Nimble.” He said. Nimble Hoof turned to look at him. “Please, take care down there.” Nimble nodded and ran off...




"Congratulations Miss Hoof, you´re back on business!"

Author's Note:

A new chapter is out! I had the idea of making this one a little longer, but the idea was just to make it so that her story was accepted. Also, the last part where she goes to see Day was improvised. So, another chapte done, and the story goes on.

Please, share your thoughts about the story. Thanks!