• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 661 Views, 42 Comments

The Journalist - redspark



A normal journalist who works for the Newspaper suddenly finds herself into something she really didn´t expected to write about. In the low places of Canterlot she must seek a way to make her stories more interesting, but how?

  • ...
1
 42
 661

Silence´s Waltz pt. 2

Chapter 21

Silence´s Waltz

pt. 2

Nimble and Silent ran silently towards where the shout had come from. They both stopped and took cover behind a tree as they reached the end of the park. They both had their ears up, alert. Silent eyes around, trying to see anypony or anything. He forced his eyes.

Then he saw the ponies.

They were five, all around a purple mare, obviously assaulting her. He looked at Nimble. Nimble had also seen the ponies, and was thinking of what to do. Silent nudged Nimble slightly, making her look at him.

“We need to get them by surprise. You go over that small roof and prepare to jump over them on my signal. I distract them while you go up.” Nimble was going to say something but Silent stopped her. “No time to talk, just do it.” Nimble nodded slowly after some second and then took off, climbing towards that rooftop. Silent saw her leave, and when he made sure she was climbing alright, he stepped out of the cover of the tree.

He walked straight towards the ponies, who didn´t noticed him until he was a few feet from them.

“Who are you?” One asked. Silent prepared his fighting stance.

“I am somepony that dislikes seeing something like what you are doing right now.” Silent said flatly. “And I am warning you that if you don´t go, I´ll have to make you go.”

A black pony laughed. Apparently he was the leader, because all the ponies seemed to look at him in attention.

“You have come to stop us?” He laughed again. “Who do you think you are? To challenge us alone. We are eight, how many are you, if not one?” He laughed again, moving a cloak he was wearing, revealing a knife. Silent smiled at the pony’s expression while laughing. He shook his head shaking the laughter off.

“I can defeat you all by myself if it is needed.” Silent said. He looked slightly up, towards the roof of the building beside them. Nimble was there, looking at him expectantly. “But I´m afraid there is no need in that. Now, you have ten seconds to answer me, or else…”

The pony stopped laughing and looked at him, his smile on his face replace by an angry grin. “You think you can threaten me without getting a lesson foal! I will teach you!” He lunged at Silent.

“Now!” Silent shouted, Nimble hearing him and jumping fast towards the nearest pony. She landed hard on its back. The pony fell hard to the floor, groaning in pain as Nimble stood up from the fall and joined Silent in the fight.

In the very beginning of the fight before Nimble landed over the pony Silent had taken teo ponies already. From the original seven only five remained. Nimble joined Silent tackling one of the attackers. She then looked around.

The five ponies (four now, because apparently the one Nimble had just tackled was also on the floor, clutching his front leg in pain) were trying to attack Silent from four different sides. One of the ponies saw Nimble and walked to her menacingly. Nimble gulped.

Even though she had been in many fights before, still she didn´t knew how she had bene able to fight. It had just been like a trance as she fought, but all of them she had been he one attacked, or had needed to defend herself. This time she was the one attacking.

Well, that last changed as the pony approached Nimble slowly. Nimble retreated until she bumped against the wall of the building. She looked back fast, realizing she had nowhere else to retreat to. The pony ran at her, and Nimble expected to feel the crash, but something else happened. She saw a purple blur tackle the pony, both going down the floor rolling. Nimble snapped out of her shock of fear and ran at the pony, tackling him again as he tried to stand up. The pony was standing up when a brick landed on his head. He made a shocked expression as he fell to the floor, unconscious.

Nimble looked shocked at that. She turned towards where the brick had come from and saw the purple pony.

“Take that errr…. Thing!” She exclaimed moving her hoof like if she had just punched him. Nimble smiled for a second, but she remembered Silent.

Nimble turned quickly towards the sound of a brawl, and was surprised to see that all the ponies except for the leader where on the floor. Silent and the black earth pony where exchanging blows incredibly fast, all of them resulting blocked by the other. Silent jumped at the wall, gaining impulse and her threw himself at the pony.

The pony was not expecting that. Both went down the floor, Silent using the ponies body as a cushion for the hard fall. He stood up fast, turning at the pony who had just stood up also, but his leg was bent slightly, apparently broken. He seemed surprised.

“Who… who are you?” He asked, surprise and fear on his face. Nimble realized that Silent did looked mysterious, especially because he was standing right on a shadow, making his face features faint, giving him an eerie sight.

“I…” He said. “Am Silent Mane, and you just got a lesson which I hope you´ll never foget.”

The pony looked at Silent, his face turning to one of anger. “You´ll pay for this, Silent Mane.” He said, turning around and walking away.

“I doubt that, bit guy.” Silent said smiling. He remained prepared to fight until the pony went out of their sight. Silent looked around, seeing that the pony had left without his companions, who were all in the floor, some had passed out while others simply couldn’t move. Silent looked at Nimble.

He smiled and walked to her. He saw the purple mare standing behind Nimble.

“Thanks a lot!” The mare suddenly said shouting. Nimble and Silent both covered their ears at the sudden shout. The mare realized that. “Ups… sorry.” She apologized.

Nimble shook her head. “No problem. What did they wanted?”

Silent looked around. “I think we should talk somewhere else…” He saw all the fallen ponies. Nimble noticed that also.

“Right…” She said. “Lead the way.”

Silent nodded and walked towards the park. The two mares followed, the purple one staying behind Nimble Hoof.

They entered the park, nopony saying a word. Finally, Silent stopped and looked around, making sure they had not been followed.

He then turned to the purple mare.

“Are you alright?” he asked at her. The mare nodded. “Why sis they attacked you?”

He realized the mare was looking at him with a shocked face. He was going to ask when she spoke up.

“I can´t believe it! You are Silent Mane and Nimble Hoof! I never thought this would happen ever to me!” She had a huge smile on her face. Both Nimble and Silent eyed each other and rolled their eyes.

“Really, you bring that up when you are asked about your state? You were almost robbed by murdering ponies for Celestia´s sake!” Nimble said, shocked.

The mare blushed. “Sorry… It´s just that you are like celebrities to me! I mean, I´m sure no other pony is so into your stories as I am.” She made an even bigger smile, if that was even possible. Nimble rolled her eyes again.

“Alright…” she said. “What´s your name?” Nimble asked.

The purple mare smiled (wait, even more??) “I´m Purple Velvet. I know, obvious why the purple part, but velvet… Still not sure my parents gave me that name. You know, I…” She kept on talking. Silent looked at Nimble.

´Really, are all the Upper Canterlot sooo full of words in their mouths?´ Silent thought, making a bothered grin at Nimble. Nimble smiled sheepishly.

“I´m sure we would love to hear more about how you met the princesses, but I think if we want a proper talk, maybe we should og to a restaurant?” Nimble said, interrupting Purple Velvet as she began to speak about her meeting with the princesses and something about a flying pie.

The purple mare blinked twice in confusion, then nodded. “Yes! I know a perfect place. I´ll pay, it´s the least I could do for you two, saving my life.”

Nimble nodded and looked at Silent.

Silent seemed uncomfortable but simply followed beside Nimble as Purple Velvet walked to the front and towards the street. They walked in the park for some minutes until they reached the streets, then they followed the mare through some empty streets and finally into Canterlot´s main street, which even though night, was full of ponies. How all the streets they had been before where empty, and this one so full, they didn´t knew. But Purple Velvet kept walking, not caring or thinking about that.

They finally reached a terribly expensive restaurant. The entrance was all golden, and the second Nimble saw the name of the restaurant her ears fell flat on her head.

It said “THE GOLDEN PEGASUS”, and ther in the front was a golden statue of a heroic looking Pegasus.

Nimble gulped at the sight of the restaurant, and Silent noticed.

“What is it Nimble, I thought you also liked coming to this restaurants.” He said. Nimble chuckled nervously.

“You see, I like, yes, but this one is… how do I put it?” She scratched her neck slightly. “This one is the most expensive in all of Equestria. I mean, coming to four dinners, only both of use, would be enough to pay the rent for my apartment for five full months.” Silent understood now perfectly the worried expression in her face. He looked at the restaurant. It now didn´t seemed to welcoming as he had first seen.

“Well, are you coming or not?” Purple Velvet asked. She saw the looks on their faces. “Oh, I´ll pay for everything, don´t you worry.” Silent wondered how she had known that they… never mind. It was obvious.

Silent walked slowly towards the entrance, Nimble following behind, her ears still flat on her head. As they approached the doors, Purple Velvet entered. Silent entered behind her. Two tall, dressed stallions opened him the doors, thought eying him in a strange manner. Silent was about to ask what problem they had when a white, also dressed golden unicorn mare, approached him.

“Nonononono! You cannot dine like this! At least not here.” She turned to Purple Velvet. “You brought these two, Miss Velvet?” She asked the purple mare.

“Yes, Miss Gold, I did. Now, if you have anything for them to wear…?” She said.

The mare nodded pretty fast, and turned to Nimble and Silent. “Well, yes, I do. If you two please wait there while I bring you something?” She turned around and walked inside a door that had a sign of only employees.

Nimble looked at Silent, shock in her face. Silent had a confused face. Both turned towards Purple Velvet.

“What? You need to be properly dressed to enter here.” She said like if it was obvious. Both ponies shook their heads slightly.

After some more minutes of waiting, the white mare returned carrying a smoking and a dress with her magic. She walked first to Nimble.

“Here, wear this.” She passed it to her. Nimble took it like if it was made out of crystal, looking at it. The white unicorn walked to Silent then.

“And you this.” She eyes him. “Just don´t stain it or anything.” She gave it to him.

Silent put on the smoking, walking towards a mirror. As he walked, the mare eyes him again. Silent looked at himself in the mirror. The smoking made him feel strange. He had never before worn such an expensive piece of clothing… He had never wore any clothing at all before. Strange that on a restaurant was his first time.

He felt a slight push on his back, so he turned.

The white unicorn, Miss Gold, was handing him a comb. “Use this also; you should try to fix that hair of yours.” Silent looked at the comb strangely. Really? A comb? The mare noticed his hesitation.

“Well then, let me do it.” She began to comb his hair with her magic. Silent felt as the brush passed his hari, and it hurt badly. Had he ever combed his hair before? No, really no.

Finally the painfull process finished and he was done. For the first time, the white unicorn was not eying him in a despicable way, but rather in a… no, that mad ehim pretty uncomfortable.

“There you go, who would have known that deep inside that uncared carcass of a body such a handsome stallions laid, eh?” The mare said teasingly. “Now, if you please follow me, I´ll lead you to your table. Your friends are already seated.” She guided Silent inside the restaurant.

He saw that it was pretty dark. He liked that, but it made walking through the tables pretty strange. He was careful not to hit a chair. He saw that all the ponies inside looked like the typical rich fellows. He chuckled when he realized he now looked like one.

The mare finally led him into his table. He saw Purple Velvet seated along with Nimble… wait, that was Nimble???

He stared at her shocked. He had never seen her all dressed up, less with her hair arranged, but he had never expected she´d be like that. He had gotten used to seeing her using her cloak, but nothing else. Now, she was wearing a white dress, which made her looked different in every sense, but the hair struck him more.

It wasn´t like those fancy, strange looking ones like the ones many Upper Canterlot mares used, but neither was it her normal, simple-looking one. It was in some ways, pretty interesting how it looked in her. Not exaggerate, but neither was it simple.

Nimble blushed when she noticed he was looking at her. Silent shook his head slightly, realizing he was looking at her. “Sorry.” He sat down.

Purple Velvet looked at Silent. “Well! You look handsome in that!” She exclaimed. Silent blushed slightly. “But now, let´s eat dinner…”

* * * * *

If Silent thought he knew what boring was, he had just learned a new definition that night.

Purple Velvet didn´t stopped talking for anything, except when she asked questions to Nimble or him, which was almost never.

Finally they all finished their desserts. If in one thing Silent wasn´t repented of coming was the food. Even though he knew the prize was something that really was exaggerated, it was pretty good. So far he had to admit the best he had ever tried.

Nimble smiled when she finally finished a chocolate cake she had ordered, and with that everypony had finished.

“Alright everypony. I hope you enjoyed it.” She took her wallet out of a pocket. “Because my husband is going to kill me for this bill.” She said mockingly. She turned to looked at the other two. “Come on, just joking. He comes here with his friends a lot of time. Don´t worry.”

The waiter came and took the bill. Purple Velvet smiled and stood up.

“Well you two, this was something I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for saving me and for accompanying me for this dinner.” She smiled and waved as she slowly went away, into the massive crowd of ponies that swarmed the main street. Silent and Nimble sighed in relief, and when both realized they had done it at the same time, they laughed. Silent then noticed he still had the smoking on. He walked over to the stallion in the front door.

“Excuse me, but I think we need to give these back?” He asked, Nimble walking behind him.

The stallion looked at him. “Sir, the kind mare that just left paid them for you. It´s yours to keep.” He said in a pompous voice. Silent would normally have mocked the pony with such a voice, but he was slightly surprised byt the amount of things Purple Velvet had given them.

Nimble shrugged when Silent stared at her then at the dress.

“Then, it´s mine?” She asked. Silent nodded slowly. Nimble looked around herself, trying to see it better. “Oh sweet Celestia, this is such an expensive dress! I now have something to wear should I get invited to one of those fancy newspaper writer dinners my boss sometimes makes.” She said smiling.

Silent smiled also. Even though he had no use for that expensive piece of clothing, it might prove useful when trying to blend in the general population of Upper Canterlot.

Both started towards Nimble´s flat. It was well into the night when they finally reached it. Not many words had been exchanged between them, but both now held a special bond with each other. Nimble opened slowly her door and waved at Silent, who was waved back right before turning into a run and climbing back to the rooftops, in direction to the Headquarters…




The dinner

* * * *

Nimble sighed as she placed the dress inside her small wardrobe, carefully so as not to damage it in any way. Not that she cared about dresses and fine-mare stuff, but still, that dress was worth lots of bits, and was her only one. She smiled as she lay down on her bed, thinking about all the things that had happened that night. She remembered those seconds in the park, those had been, in all her life, the most precious seconds she could ever think of…

Author's Note:

And another chapter is out! I know this chapter might have been a little slow, but well, I needed to make an intruduction to Purple Velvet. Does anypony remember who she was? The purple pony in the café! I have long wanted to intriduce her finally, but haven´t gotten the oportunity. Oh, well... I guess this chapter was longer than I expected, but I wanted to make this special Silent-Nimble chapter good. I hope I dind´t did it wrong though... Well, thanks for reading and enjoy!