• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 2,184 Views, 35 Comments

To Soar - ImpossibleReflection



Rainbow Dash has adopted Scootaloo(with a little help from Discord), and now Rainbow Dash must help her do something she never though she would be able to do. Fly. . .

  • ...
2
 35
 2,184

To Research

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo sat at a table at the Hayburger enjoying a pair of milkshakes. Rainbow sat slouched and was deep in thought trying to find a way to help with Scootaloo’s bones. Her eyes wandered as she inattentively sipped at her milkshake. Her wandering eyes kept glancing over to Scootaloo who was absorbed in present company, and also the milkshake. She seemed to have forgotten about her issues, if even just for a short while. Whenever Rainbow Dash's eyes found Scootaloo sitting content with her milkshake, it almost seemed like all was right with the world.

Rainbow Dash didn’t know what to do, her mind kept drawing blanks, and she kept getting more frustrated. There had to be something that somepony could do to help Scootaloo. Even if the doctors here couldn’t do anything, somepony somewhere must be able to.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes Continued to wander until they fell upon a nearby unicorn cleaning up a table with a flurry of magic, afterwords the table looked as if it had never been dirty. I wish this could just be as easy as magicking her bones better.

Rainbow Dash’s posture straightened as a realization hit her. Twilight is good at magic. She can fix it.

Before long the pair of pegasus ponies had finished their milkshakes. Upon walking out of the restaurant Rainbow Dash spoke up, “Scootaloo, I think I may know how to solve your bone issue.”

“Really?!” Scootaloo’s wings buzzed in excitement.

Rainbow Dash nodded, “Hop on.”

She lowered her back and extended a wing so Scootaloo could clamber on.

Once Scootaloo had positioned herself securely on Rainbow Dash’s back, Rainbow Dash took off and headed towards the town’s librarian with a determined smile on her face.

For once Rainbow Dash didn’t use a closed window as an entrance as she had precious cargo today. She knocked on the library door. After a few seconds of tapping her hoof, she heard the voice of the librarian beckoning her inside.

“Ah, hello Rainbow Dash, you do realize this is a public library right? You don’t have to knock before you enter as long it’s open," said Twilight Sparkle as Rainbow Dash entered.

“Hey, I need your help with something.”

“I will help you in any way I can. May I ask what you need assistance with?”

“Scoots, you can go look at the books while I talk to Twilight.” Scootaloo went off to peruse the books for anything that might catch her eye, “You know how most pegasi’s bones are hollow?”

“Of course, it’s basic anatomy.”

“Well,... Scootaloo’s bones aren’t hollow. Because of this she isn’t able to fly, I was thinking that maybe you could use your magic to fix it, being a super magical princess and all. So can you?” Rainbow Pleaded.

“This sounds like a medical issue. Have you gone to a doctor?”

“Yes, he said they couldn’t do anything. That’s why I came to you, you can use your princess magic to fix it can’t you?” Rainbow Dash was beginning to worry again.

“I don’t think I would be able to do anything a medical professional wouldn’t be able to,” Rainbow Dash’s face fell, “But, I can see if there is anything in my books that can say anything that can fix the issue.”

“Thank you.”

“I have a spell for searching for items in books, so you can look through the books as I perform the spell.”

Instead of perusing the books as she was told, Rainbow Dash sat down and watched expectantly. After a few minutes Twilight's calm face began to take on a serious expression.

Twilight cut the spell, causing Rainbow Dash to perk up in expectation. “I’m sorry.”

Rainbow Dash faces fell.

I failed, why can’t anything be done? Rainbow Dash thought to herself.

“I figured that this would be the case, however…”

“Why can’t you do anything?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, tears beginning to streak down her face, “Magic can fix everything, why can’t you fix her?!” Rainbow was again getting aggressive.

“Rainbow!" Twilight Spoke firmly, "Since I became a princess, ponies have been coming to me to fix their trivial issues with magic. The only reasons I decided to try to find a way was because, one you’re my friend, and two, this problem isn’t trivial. Magic isn’t a cure-all, it takes time, energy, and research to get anything done. I know many basic healing spells; I can heal just about any non-fatal injury given enough magic. However this isn’t an injury, it’s a condition.”

Rainbows already precarious balance of emotions fell apart at the tirade belted out by Twilight Sparkle. She sat town and tried to hide her face behind her short mane. I keep failing, I’m so sorry Scoots, I don’t think I can fix this.

Twilight, upon seeing the state of her friend, lost the firm expression on her face and gained a softer one. She went over to Rainbow Dash and gave her a solid hug, “I’m sorry Dash, but magic can’t just poof away everyone’s problems,” She spoke softly.

“It’s just,” Rainbow Dash had difficulties articulating her thoughts, “I keep failing her.”

Scootaloo, at this point, joined the hug, “It’s okay, Dash, You’re still awesome.”

Rainbow Dash Spread out her wing to wrap around Scootaloo. For several minutes this remained, Twilight just let Rainbow Dash’s stress flow out into the hug. This was interrupted when the door to the library opened and a soft feminine “Aww,” startled them.

Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, and Scootaloo all immediately perked their heads up to look at the intruder. “Eep,” Fluttershy sunk back from suddenly becoming the center of attention.

Twilight Sparkle extricated herself from the hug, leaving Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo to their own devices, “Hello Fluttershy, may I help you?”

“Oh, I just came to return a book. I didn’t mean to interrupt."

“It’s alright, I was just finished explaining to Dash that magic can’t fix everything.”

Fluttershy opened her saddlebag taking out a book. As soon as Twilight retrieved the book from her she spoke, "Oh, may I ask what's the matter? if you don't mind."

"Rainbow, I will shelf this book, you can tell Fluttershy if you want to," with that Twilight Sparkle cantered off with the book in telekinetic tow. She could have shelved it within moments, however, she didn't want to overstep any bounds with this situation.

"Well, ya see Flutters. Scootaloo's bones aren't hollow, which makes it really hard for her to fly. I came to Twilight hoping she could fix it."

"Oh my. Not hollow at all?"

"No." Rainbow Dash said sorrowfully.

Fluttershy went over to Scootaloo and wrapped her up into a hug, "You poor thing."

"Hey!" Scootaloo squirmed in futility to escape Fluttershy's grasp.

"Shh, it's okay, I know what it's like," Fluttershy spoke softly.

"You do!?" Shouted the pegasus family in unison.

Fluttershy shrank at their combined attention almost as if trying to hide behind the young pegasus filly she was hugging. "Um, yes. I have it as well, it's why I was never a strong flyer. my bones weren't as hollow as they should have been."

"So I'll be able to fly!?" Scootaloo shouted, before another thought crossed her mind, "But, I won't be able to fly good will I?"

"Scootaloo, those things you do on your scooter, I couldn't ever do anything like that, I am sure once you get in the air nothing will be able to stop you."

"Come on Dash! We'll just have to try extra hard!" Scootaloo Exclaimed running outside her wings buzzing a few times along the way.

"Well there's something that I can do." Rainbow said trotting after the hyperactive filly. She closed the library door behind her ready to something that she knows she can do, physical training.

"Is that true?"

Fluttershy jumped at the sudden shattering of the short tranquility. "Is what true?"

"Your bones?"

"Oh, well yes. I have the same condition, just not as bad. With Scootaloo having her bones not hollow at all, I am not sure if she will be able to fly."

"Oh, so how bad is yours?"

"Half of what would be considered normal. It makes it nearly three times harder for me to fly. I can't imagine how must harder it would be for Scootaloo."

"Scootaloo won't be able to fly will she."

"If anyone can get her to fly, it will be Rainbow Dash. I don't think anything will be able to stop those two."

_-~/|\~-_

A bright yellow hoof slammed a large stack of bits onto a counter made of hyper-dense cloud, "Whiskey, hardest you got."

The bartender turned around polishing a glass, "Hey Spitfire! Sure thing."

The bartender set down the freshly polished glass and filled it with the strongest whiskey.

Upon receiving it, Spitfire downed it in a single go, "Another."

"Maybe you should take that a bit slower," the bartender spoke, "It is a very strong alcohol."

"I asked for another," she spat at the bartender.

Author's Note:

F.Y.I. This chapter was planned this way from the start. So no, I am not trolling you.

Also my second semester of college is finishing up, so I am not sure how frequently I will be able to post. I will get them out as much as I can.