• Published 28th Nov 2013
  • 5,608 Views, 200 Comments

Her Shining Paladin - Bluecatcinema



For years, Celestia has had the love of her subjects. But there is a different kind of love, one that she has never felt...

  • ...
16
 200
 5,608

Blueblood Strikes Back

Two weeks had passed since Shine's arrival at the castle. Most of his injuries had healed, save for his wings, which were still bandaged up. He had grown to like his temporary accommodations, developing friendships with Luna, Gothic, Constell, Iron Hooves, and even Celestia.

One night, at dinner, they were all engaged in pleasant conversation.

"So, I trust you're enjoying your stay?" Luna asked.

"Sure am." Shine nodded. "Everypony's been really nice to me. The guardsponies even let me exercise with them. Iron Hooves said that I was excellent guard pony material. "

A light pink tinge colored Celestia's cheeks as the memory of Shine working out crossed her mind.

Suddenly the door to the dining room opened, as none other than Blueblood entered the room.

"Sorry I'm late, auntie." He said absently-mindedly. "I was getting my mane done, and-"

He stopped as he spotted Shine.

"Why is that commoner still here?" He pointed. "And more importantly, why is he in my seat?"

"Calm down, Blueblood." Luna admonished him. "There's plenty of seats to go around."

"I thought he was only staying a few days." Blueblood noted.

"His wings still need time to heal." Celestia declared. "It could take weeks. Months, even."

"Well, wouldn't he be more comfortable healing at home?" Blueblood suggested. "I'd gladly cover the price of a train ticket..."

"And send a recovering pegasus travelling?" Luna asked. "We wouldn't dream of doing something so dangerous!"

"Of course you wouldn't..." Blueblood groaned, taking a seat.

"Look, maybe we got off on the wrong hoof." Shine declared. "What do you say that we start over? Alright, Prince Blueblood?"

Blueblood glanced over to Celestia, balking at her dissaproving glare.

"Very well." He sighed.

"Great!" Shine smiled.

"So, tell us more about Dodge Junction." Constell requested. "What's it like living there?"

"Well, for the first part, it's nothing like this big fancy city you have here." Shine chuckled. "It's more like an old western town like Appleloosa…minus the apple orchards and all the buffalos."

Blueblood sniffed derisively.

"It's a simple life, but wholesome." Shine reflected. "We spend our days bucking cherries in the orchard, and our nights gazing up at the stars."

Blueblood snorted loudly.

"Oh, I love the stars!" Constell sighed.

"You too, huh? I thought as much." Shine chuckled, casting a smirk at Luna. "On our days off, we go to the swimming hole and splash around for a while, maybe fit in a hayride or two. I tell ya, farming has it's perks."

"Oh, please." Blueblood groaned. "And I suppose you also moonlight as a rodeo clown?"

"Funny." Shine said humorlessly.

"If this 'Dodge Junction' is as wonderful a place as you claim it to be, then why did you come here?" Blueblood asked.

Shine froze up.

"Aw, you don't want to know about that." He said, laughing nervously. "But, speaking of rodeos..."

"Forget the rodeo." Blueblood glared. "Tell me why you're here."

"I rather not." Shine said simply.

"Yes." Blueblood insisted.

"No." Shine repeated.

"Yes!" Blueblood yelled.

"Blueblood, that's enough!" Celestia suddenly stood up. "Shine is our guest! His reasons for coming here are his own business. You will respect his decision."

"I will not!" Blueblood exploded, slamming his hoof into the table. "I've been keeping my mouth shut all this time just to stay in your good graces, but I have had enough! For years on end, I had to put up with all the commoners you make me associate with, including that student of yours. It was already bad enough that Cadance married that commoner brother of her's… and it became much worst when I became related to him!" He gestured to Gothic.

"HEY!" Gothic yelled indignantly.

"And now, you mean to tell me that you are now coddling some farmer pony?!" Blueblood snarled. "Well, enough is enough! I demand to know why!"

In that last word, Blueblood's horn surged and without his say-so, he pushed Shine back with his magic, knocking him off his chair, and showing off his blank flank. Blueblood gazed in shock... before he began to laugh.

"He has no Cutie Mark?" He chuckled. "Oh… now I see. You're just a freak my aunts took pity on."

The humiliated Shine felt his cheeks redden and his eyes watering.

"It's not funny, Blueblood!" Gothic snarled.

"For once I agree, Gothic..." Blueblood sneered. "It's hilarious! A grown stallion without a Cutie Mark! an adult blank flank! Oh, the pon-ity!"

As Blueblood laughed, Shine felt the memories of similar words come back to him.

Having enough, Celestia was about to scold Blueblood before Shine interrupted her, getting into Blueblood's face.

"Oh, you think it's funny, do ya?" Shine glared.

"Well, yes." Blueblood snickered. "You're a stallion in his mid-twenties with no special talent!"

"Sure, a pony like you, who got his Cutie Mark at a normal age, gets to laugh." Shine calmly said, as tears begin to leak from his eyes, "But you try being a blank flank in your teenage years! You think I wanted to be a blank flank all my life?! You think I wanted to be ridiculed by my peers all through school?! Here's a new flash, pal!" His voice began to rise viciously high. "I HAD NO FRIENDS TILL I HAD GOTTEN A JOB AS A FARMER! I NEVER EVEN HAVE A MAREFRIEND! YOU THINK I ENJOY NOT HAVING A TALENT? I DON'T! I HATE IT! I ALWAYS HATED IT!" He slammed both his hooves into the table.

As Shine panted, trying to catch his breath, everypony looked shocked, especially Blueblood, who had actually taken a step back.

"Shine..." Celestia whispered.

Calming down, Shine glared hatefully at Blueblood.

"But hey, don't let my sob story stop you from mocking me. Go ahead and laugh all you want, Prince Blueblood, because I have only two words for you..." Shine gritted his teeth, trying to refrain from using the next two words, but his anger made it impossible to do so, "BUCK. OFF!"

Without saying another word, Shine stormed off, choking back a sob.

"Excuse me." Celestia got out of her seat and followed Shine.

Luna and her family stood in shock at what the normally calm pegasus had said, as Blueblood, finally recovering from the ferocity of Shine's words, let out a deep breath.

"Sheesh, touchy." Blueblood tutted.

In an instant, Luna glared at the unicorn, and stormed over to Blueblood,

"You!" She roared, using the Royal Canterlot Voice. "You foul, loathsome, evil, little cockroach! How many times must somepony put you in your place?! What had Shine ever done to deserve your cruelty?!"

Luna pinned the now cowering Blueblood against a wall.

"Dear, no!" Gothic rushed over. "He's not worth it!"

"Yeah, mom! Don't do something you might get sent to the moon for again!" Constell tried to sooth her mother.

Luna paused for a moment, as she then released Blueblood... then punched him in the snout. Blueblood fell to the floor.

"Ow!" Blueblood groaned as he glanced up at Luna, seething viciously at him. Holding his hurt snout, Blueblood scrambled to his hooves and ran out of the dining room.

"That felt good." Luna sighed, shaking her slightly sore hoof.

"Not good." Gothic chuckled. "Brilliant. Good show, dear."

"Way to go, mom!" Constell smiled.

Meanwhile, in another part of the castle, Celestia made her way to Shine's room.

Once she had arrived, Celestia slowly nudged the doors to Shine's room open. She wasn't exactly sure how Shine would be feeling at the moment. Although Shine did not tell her much about his personal life at Dodge Junction, she could see the pain etched in his eyes when Blueblood laughed at him. She was familiar with foals being bullied for not having their Cutie Marks, the Cutie Mark Crusaders coming to mind, but for Shine at his age, it must have been a nightmare.

As Celestia peeked into the room, her heart nearly broke.

Shine was lying on his bed, his face, tearing up more than ever, buried into his pillow, his sobs nearly silent but noticeable.

At first, Celestia thought it would be best if she left him alone and talk to him when he had calmed down...but seeing the pegasus in such a sorry state kept her there, and without another thought, she decided to make her presence known.

"Shine?" She said tentatively.

Shine's silent sobbing stopped as the stallion lifted his head and quickly wiped the tears from his eyes.

"Oh, Princess." Shine sniffed.

"Are you alright, Shine?" Celestia asked. "I had never seen you this upset before."

"It's nothing, Princess. It's no big deal." Shine shrugged off, though his eyes seemed to state otherwise.

"I'm so sorry about Blueblood." Celestia sighed. "I know he's not the best of ponies, but I never thought he would have stooped so low-"

"No, it's me that should be sorry." Shine cut her off. "I shouldn't had flown off the handle like that. I don't usually get that riled up."

"But it was understandable. What Blueblood did to you was cruel." Celestia rebutted, resisting the urge to scowl at the thought of Blueblood.

"But I should have been used to it." Shine sighed. "I've heard words like those all through my childhood and teenage years."

"No one should 'be used' to bullying." Celestia declared, as she slowly approached Shine and took a seat on the bed aside him. "I had a feeling that life wasn't easy for you...but I had no idea that it was that bad."

"It wasn't all bad. Once I started ignoring them, the bullying did stop." Shine gave a small smile, before he frowned again. "I thought that after a couple of years, I had gotten over all the name-calling and ridicule. But when I heard him laughing at me... all those memories came rushing back... and I... and I..." Shine took a deep breath, as a tear dropped from his eye, "I just lost it."

"Shine... I'm sorry." Celestia sympathized, "I only hope that you don't take what Blueblood said to heart."

"Why not? He's right." Shine muttered. "It's not natural for a pony my age to not have a Cutie Mark. Why wouldn't you and Luna pity me?"

"None of that!" Celestia stated firmly, as she wrapped a wing around Shine. "You are here because you risked your life and limbs to seek our help. You are still here because you were hurt and you had came a long way. You see, Shine, we do not allow you to stay here because of pity. We allow you to stay because it is our duty to care for our ponies in need, especially those who need us the most."

"You really mean that?" Shine asked.

"Every word of it." Celestia nodded. "And I know deep down that your Cutie Mark is just biding it's time before it shows itself. But just because it hasn't doesn't make you any less of a pony. In fact, with or without it, you are a better pony than most ponies, whom of which shall not be named."

Shine let out a heavy sigh, before he gave a sincere smile, one that Celestia missed (much to her surprise). Then, to her further surprise, Shine wrapped his hoof around her for a brief moment, causing her to stiffen up. Shine let go of her quickly.

"Thank you, Celestia. It's actually nice to finally get that off my chest." Shine admitted.

It took Celestia a few seconds to register Shine's words.

"Anything for a friend." She smiled. I think I'll let you get some rest for now."

"I'd like that." Shine nodded. "Good night, Celestia."

Celestia returned a smile as she left Shine's room. As soon as she shut the door to his room, Celestia soon thought about that hug Shine gave her. Although it was just a hug, it made her feel... odd, like she was walking on clouds. But how could that be? She had received embraces from her student Twilight, her sister, her niece Cadance, and even ones from Blueblood, but the one Shine gave her...it was different.

However, Celestia just shook the thought away.

"You are just being silly, Celestia. It was a friendly hug, that's all." She softly giggled to herself.

But deep in her mind, that thought still lingered...