• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 2,060 Views, 44 Comments

Fangs and Blood and other Things - Kinetic Heat



First part of the Fangs-Saga. When a certain demonic pegasus is sent to a peaceful town, the adventure of his infinite-seeming life awaits him.

  • ...
13
 44
 2,060

New home: Sweet Apple Acres

The arrival in Ponyville was rather unspectacular, with Twilight hopping right out of the carriage, nodding at the guards. She walked away without further ado and left Hazel on his own.

Not as bad as I feared it would be. Maybe not the non plus ultra when it comes to technology, but the rustic flair has it's charm.

Hazel took off the ground and circled around the town to get himself a better look. Because of the Summer Sun Celebration, the small village was buzzing with ponies galloping around and making preparations for the upcoming event.

He easily spotted the neatly ornamented towns hall, the library that seemingly was caved out of a tree, a building that looked like it was made of ginger bread and a house that was shaped like a fancy carousel.

This settlement sure has some interesting architecture.

When he turned his attention to the west, he saw what he was looking for in the first place. A huge field overgrown with hundreds, maybe thousands of apple trees. Unmistakeably the place of his destination. He took a good flap of his wings and flew towards the green hills.

Hazel landed before the gate of the barn and looked around wearily. The smell of apples of all sorts nearly overwhelmed his sensitive nostrils, but there was something standing out, a delicious scent of freshly backed dough, sugar and apples. Hazel sniffed around and spotted an orange mare with blonde mane putting down a delicious looking pie on a window ledge.

She looked up from the pie and waved her hoof when she saw the visitor at the front door. A few seconds later she came galloping down the small path leading to where Hazel was standing.

''A friendly howdy there, sir. How I may helpya?'' she asked with a cheering tone and a charming smile.

What in the name of- It cannot be! How is this possible?! I thought I lost- No, this is not the same...

Completely out of composure Hazel stood there like a statue.

''So you must be that special guest the princess was talkin' 'bout. Ah wondered whatya would be lookin' like. Ah must say Ah wasn't expectin' somepony so huge. You coulda even be taller than mah brother, Big Mac! Come on in, though we've got some work pressin' hard, ah still wantya to meet the famly!'' she trotted towards the barn house signing Hazel to follow track.

It was true, Hazel towered over her easily half the length of a pony. He strolled from behind right next to her, taking in the comfy scenery.

A step through the door brought up what Hazel had imagined it would be: Clearly the work of a pony whose skills were in wood crafting. Almost everything was made out of wood. The ceiling, the walls, the floor and the furniture; everything was hoof crafted and painted in different colors. It certainly wasn't what he was used to after over a dozen centuries in Equestria's capital.

''Applebloom, Big Mac, Granny Smith!! Come and give a warm Apple Famly welcome to our guest!!!'' Applejack yelled. A few seconds passed and from what seemed to be the living room came three ponies.

The smile on the face of the light yellow fillie's face vanished as she looked up at the huge stallion that now stood in their kitchen. With a squeak she hid behind a tall red earth pony stallion who seemed quite surprised that somepony could could stand up to him at eye level. The only pony who wasn't struck by awe was a light green mare with grey mane, who looked like she had been around since the town's foundation. The geriatric pony stepped forward and took a good look at Hazel. ''Now look at this. A pony who's even taller than you, Big Mac. Never thought I'd ever come to see that. And look at these strong legs! That sure is a fine apple bucker. What's your name, youngen?''

Youngen? Oh lady, you have no idea....

''The name is Hazel Eyes. I am quite pleased to make your acquaintance.''

''What a fancy voice! I bet the fillies are overunnin' you, huh?'' the old mare asked with a sly grin.

''Ah think that's enough, granny, you should go back and- Applebloom! It ain't nice to whisper in presence of guests!'' the orange pony scowled her little sister. Said foal immediately withdraw her muzzle from her brothers ear and blushed.

''Ah'm sorry, I just noticed he hasn't got a cutie mark.''

Everypony in the room turned their gaze at Hazels flank and watched in disbelieve. The first one to recover was Applebloom. She looked up to the white pegasus and asked innocently, ''How come you don't have yer cutie mark yet? You're a full grown stallion!''

''I am afraid this story will be taking some time, my dear,'' Hazel answered apologetically.

''Then you better save it for later, we've got some work to do. Granny Smith, go back into the kitchen and take Applebloom with ya. Mac, take Hazel and show him around at Sweet AA, when yer done show him how to buck those apples we need for the pie. Ah'll be doin' the same. Now evrypony: spread out!'' Applejack slammed her hooves to the ground and all of them headed out as they were told. Hazel had no other choice as to keep track of the crimson stallion bursting out to the fields.


''And that over there's Apple Fritters, howdy!'' Big Macintosh called in his deep bass of a voice. Despite him being a rather quiet fellow, Mac was one of the kindest ponies Hazel had ever met. After they arrived at the plantation, Mac had showed him around to almost every member of the gigantic Apple Family. It was straining Hazel to make so much contact with so many ponies in such a tiny amount of time, but the sort of ponies he met was rather refreshing.

''Come on, I'll show ya how da buck these apples from the trees. You might ask what we do this for; well, you see, these apples go into the barn, where Applebloom and Granny Smith make wonderful pies of it.''

Wow, what a complicated and difficult process...

Hazel chuckled.

''Now what's so funny 'bout that?'' Mac seemed a bit confused.

''Nothing, really. I was just looking around and noticed everypony working so hard. In Canterlot you would have to travel for ages to see a pony breaking a sweat,'' Hazel replied and hoped this simple answer would satisfy Mac to the point where he wouldn't ask further questions.

Seemingly pleased with the compliment, Mac moved on to stand before one tree. Several baskets were scattered around the tree to catch up the falling apples.

''Now you stand back and just watch,'' Mac told him. He reared up and with a powerful kick of his hind legs left the tree shaking. A few dozen apples rained down to the ground, half of them caught up by the baskets.

''Impressive," Hazel admitted and let his hoof clop on the ground in mild applause.

Big Mac just nodded and began picking up all the apples which hadn't made their way into the baskets. ''Now that's the second job. Pick up all apples that didn't make it into the basket and then bring the full ones to the barn. Got it?''

''I think I get the idea.'' Hazel nodded.

''Good, then do as I showed you and bring down as many apples as you can!''

Hazel brought himself into position, fixed his front hooves on the ground, reared up and-

A high pitched tinkle from the barn let everypony freeze. Surprised by the sudden lack of action Hazel almost lost his balance and flapped his wings to maintain on two hooves.

''SOUP'S ON, EVRYPONY!!'' he could make out Applejack's call from afar. The whole Apple Family stampeded towards the barn leaving Hazel in confusion.

''What is going on?'' he asked Big Macintosh.

''AJ's calling up on a family meeting. You stay here and practice while we're away. Make sure no apple's left behind.'' Mac stormed away without another word.

Well, fine then. Let's see if this is really oh so difficult...

Again Hazel reared up and gave it a strong buck. The sound of bursting wood followed the feeling of his hind legs extending. Shocked, he turned around to see what had just happened. Right before him lay the tree, cleanly broken off where Hazel's hooves had struck the trunk.

''Er, woopsy?''

Oh, oh, not good. If I continue to buck apples like that, then that's gonna be the last harvest they're gonna have in a long time. Maybe there is another way... What if I just...


When the Apples returned, theycame to a sudden halt, jaws dropping, not believing what they were seeing.

All the trees were out of apples to buck. The baskets under the trees, however, were full of them.

A carefree whistle drew their attention on the white stallion, carrying two of the baskets like saddlebags, and one on each of his wings.

''I am glad you are back. How did the meeting go?'' he asked with an innocent grin on his face.

''Did you just pick up all of these apples?'' Mac asked, ignoring Hazels question.

''Why, yes. You asked me to pick as many as I could, so I did.'' Whistling again he, began to walk towards the barn. When he noticed nopony was following him, he turned around. ''What is the matter? I thought you were glad that I did what you told me to do. Now come on let us get these apples moved!''

One of the ponies took up two of the apple filled baskets and began following Hazel.

The others did so as well, silently mumbling with each other. ''How did he do that? We were only away for around twenty minutes!''

''I don't know, but this is some strange feller over there. Did you notice he hasn't got a cutie mark?''

Hazel overheard every comment made by the Apples, but he just kept on walking, silently laughing to himself.

When he came back, Mac was waiting next to the broken tree, lying on the ground.

''Care to explain what this is?'' he asked with a stern tone.

''This is the result of my first attempt. I am sorry, I may used more force than necessary. In order to prevent other trees from my 'harvest technique', I figured out a way more efficient style.''

''And that is?''

''Picking every single apple by hoof.''

Mac's eyes widened. He stared in confusion, trying to figure out if this craze of a pony was playing a prank on him, then he burst out in laughter.

''Hoo, hoo, that's a good one, I almost believed it. Now tell me, how did you manage to bring down all of those apples in such a short time? You're not a unicorn, or can you do that fancy magic, too?''

''I told the truth. I picked every single apple from one tree after another and lay them into the baskets. The only trick I used was perhaps that I am really, really fast.''

''Fine, then keep your secret. Ah'm just mighty glad to have such a great apple picker in the famly, now. Maybe you'll get your cutie mark in apple picking!''

Mac kept chuckling the whole way up and down carrying the apples to the barn.


Far beneath Canterlot, even beneath the deepest reaching mines in Mount Unicornia, a weird looking creature made it's way to a cave of incredible size. Certainly, the cave was big enough to give home to fit Canterlot Castle into it entirely. The cavern was illuminated by several crystals at the walls, which radiated a dull, purple light. At the center of the circle shaped ground lay a statue.

It was humanoid, except it had worn-out looking wings with a length of at least nine feet each. Several horns that formed a crown grew out of it's head and it's tail had spikes all over it.

The creature sleeking towards it walked upright, had to very thin arms with very long fingers extending from them. It slurped forward on two legs that looked extremely fat and short, carrying an enormous pouch.

It traveled to the statue sticking out of the ground and brought out what shared similarities with the crystals at the walls, only it was absolutely black.

''Master, I found another one!'' The voice of the creature sounded like the aching noise of a nail scratching over a blackboard.

Suddenly what appeared to be the eyes of the statue, flashed in a scary red, as if they gave permission to walk further. The creature dragged itself forward, lay down the orb and took back a few steps.

A bright flash of light and the black stone was gone. Small cracks began to tear through the crust of stone as an frightening, deep rumble came from the statue.

Not long until he awakens from his slumber... Soon I will get my revenge...
Beware, Alea, beware....


The evening of the Summer Sun Celebration was soon to be taking place as all of Ponyville streamed into the towns hall. Eagerly awaiting the speech of the princess herself, the folk of Ponyville stared at the curtains that would be lifted soon.

Almost half of the apples they had bucked that day had gone into delicious pies. One piece was now shoved into the mouth of a pink earth pony mare with a candy cotton like mane and matching tail, silencing her.

Hazel kept himself in the dark, silently watching the crowd.

He couldn't quite lay his hoof on it, but he had the awful feeling that something was about to go terribly wrong.

The birds that were directed by a yellow pegasus with a pink mane began to sing and a white unicorn pulled a rope to move the curtains to reveal... nothing.

Everypony in the room gasped at the lacking of Celestia.

What is that thing...

Hazel narrowed his eyes and took a closer look at what seemed to be a cloud of black and blue smoke appearing on the balcony.

Wait, where have I seen this already? Was it not the last time when Luna- Oh for the love of-.

Everypony else in the hall seemed to be seeing it now, judging from their shocked gasps.

A black armored alicorn manifested on stage. She wore a blue armor and her mane and tail were made out of smoke.

Her voice, an enchanting sing-sung began to flow through the room. ''Oh my beloved subjects, it's been so long since I've seen your precious, little, sun loving faces.'' The most colorful pony Hazel had ever seen in his entire life stood up to the dark mare.

Hazel already steadied himself to attack Nightmare Moon but withdrew the idea, as a fight between him and this opponent would cause damage, that could easily kill somepony. Thinking about strategies, he noticed he wasn't the only pony who knew the ruler of the eternal night.

Twilight Sparkle gulped and slightly backed off. As soon as Nightmare Moon flew from the celebration, Twilight headed out to the library.

What is she up to? Does she not know what threat Nightmare Moon proposes? No, she seems acquainted with the old folklore to not be aware of the danger. Do not tell me Celestia sent me here to fulfill a foal sitter's duty.

With a beat of his wings, he followed them, unseen in the shadows.