• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 767 Views, 38 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 2 - BluePhoenyx



A continuation of the story of Crimson Thull and his life on the surface.

  • ...
3
 38
 767

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8 - Crimson and the Question with Dire Answers

Crimson sat on the edge of Cloudsdale watching the scenery from the clouds. After a couple of hours, he started to wonder where Twilight and Rainbow Dash have gone, and if they’re okay. In the back of his mind was the thought of betrayal, but that quickly passed as he understood more and more of what the surface world’s culture is like. The sun traveled across the sky and eventually neared the horizon. Still, he sat and waited for word from Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, or any pony he would call ‘friend.’ He started to feel weak and fatigued being that he got little sleep and hasn’t had any food or water in over 24 hours. Suddenly, his ear started to twitch.

The cloaked figure walked up behind him. “How does your investigation go?”

Crimson stood up and turned to the cloaked figure. “Why do you follow me?”

The cloaked figure walked next to Crimson and looked at the view. “My duty demands that I watch you.”

“Who assigned such a task?”

“The princess.” She replied while still looking at the view. She observed Crimson’s silence. “Surprised?”

Crimson turned and looked at the view too. “More curious than anything.”

She turned to look at the stranger. “Now to my question – how does your investigation go?”

Crimson looked over to the cloaked pony. “Tell the princess that my investigation is slow, if not moving at all.”

“And why would that be?”

“Being sought after yet again while as wounded as I am makes it difficult to travel without being seen.”

“You’re getting soft.” The cloaked figure turned to look at the view.

“Perhaps. Or perhaps I do not feel the need to practice the lifestyle of my old life.”

“A wise yet foolish decision.” The cloaked pony turned her head toward Crimson. “Speaking of which, do tell of your previous life. Tell me of your people.”

Crimson in turn looked at the cloaked pony. “All I have to say has been reported to your princess, and thus has been documented for your research.”

“True, but I wish to know more about your past life.”

“My past life is just that-“ Crimson looked back at the scenery. “The past.”

“Very well.” The cloaked pony turned around. “I will get what I want regardless of your cooperation.”

Crimson turned his head to find that the cloaked pony was nowhere to be found. He looked around only to find his search had been in vain. Then, he looked back at the scenery. After a pause, he turned his attention to the floating city to seek food and drink.

* * *

Princess Luna entered the tower to head to her station for the rising of the moon. Princess Celestia stood on the balcony awaiting her sister. Upon reaching the roof, Celestia turned to Luna. “Ah, my sister. How goes the western fronts?”

Luna, trying hard not to show great signs of fatigue, walked past Celestia to her place at the balcony. “The base constructions are underway. The pirate activity have slowed.”

“Slowed?” Celestia stared at her sister as she walked passed her.

“Yes. From what, I don’t know.”

“That is very unusual. The reinforcements haven’t fully secured the western shores.” Celestia walked next to Luna.

“My thoughts exactly.”

Celestia turned to Luna. “My sister, why don’t you take the night off. You’ve been working your hooves off since these pirates showed up.”

Luna stared off in the distance, then turned to her sister. “You’re right, my sister. I have been exhausted and these tasks have run me ragged.” Celestia smiled as Luna continues. “Will you be able to keep up with thy duties while I rest for the night?”

“Don’t worry about me.” Celestia turned her head toward the stairway. “Go on. You more than deserve it.”

“Very well.” Luna turned and walked toward the stairway down the tower. “Good night, my sister.”

“You as well.” Celestia turned to get ready for the rising of the moon as Luna started her way downstairs.

* * *

As the sun creeps over the horizon, Crimson laid near the edge of the city. He stayed out of sight of the guards, but near where he last saw the girls. His eyes opened at the first sign of light and he slowly got up, being careful not to pull any of his injuries too far. He looked around to see if any of the girls were there, but no one was around. He sighed then continued to wait.

* * *

A couple of hours passed before Twilight flew by. “Pst, Crimson!” Crimson watched as she flies by. He peeked from behind his resting spot, but out enough to be somewhat easily visible. Twilight looked around, and then noticed him from his hiding spot. “There you are.” She flew up and landed beside him.

Crimson greeted her in a slight bowing gesture. “Ms. Twilight Sparkle, I feared the worse.”

“Actually, something has happened. Rainbow Dash is in the hospital.” Crimson remained silent as Twilight continued. “She was buried in the ground on the way to Canterlot.”

“Buried?”

“Actually, encased in stone is more like it.” Twilight replied. “And what’s weird is the girls and I found those drawings you do on the ground next to where she was found.” Twilight observed Crimson as he slowly diverted his head to think to himself. “I know that look. What is it?” Crimson turned and started to walk toward the balloon dock. Twilight turned to look at him as he walked away. “What is it?”

“Get me the balloon. I have to check something.”

Twilight watched Crimson walk away. “Well that was vague.” She turned and jumped off the clouds and flew to get the balloon for Crimson.

* * *

After Twilight and Crimson rode the balloon down to the earth, Twilight started to trot toward the hole where Rainbow Dash was found. She then turned around to realize Crimson wasn’t following her.

“Hey!” She turned around and caught up to Crimson, who was going in a different direction. She looked over to Crimson. “Where are you going? Rainbow Dash was found over here.”

“Another more pressing question must be answered prior to my investigation of the site.”

“A more pressing question?” Twilight questioned Crimson as she wondered what could be more important.

“Yes. And pray to whatever deity you wish in hopes that I am wrong.” He sped up, going as fast as his wounds could take him while she slowed down from his reply.

“We’re in trouble, aren’t we?” She quickly trotted to catch up and the two started their way through the Everfree Forest.

Eventually, the two make it through the forest and Twilight started to realize where he was going. “Wait, isn’t this…?” The two stopped at the edge of greatly disturbed ground that had been healing over the past year. The ground dipped into a pit with a small pool of water at the bottom. Foliage struggling to grow from the seedlings that the wind had placed over the seasons from this new lake.

“Yes.” Crimson started to walk around the dip. “This is where I escaped the underground.”

Twilight started to follow beside Crimson as he looked around the area. “What are we looking for?”

“Any signs of disturbance.”

“What for?”

Crimson remained silent for a moment before answering. “My family.”

Twilight stopped in her tracks as she looked in surprise. “Your f- your family?” She caught up to Crimson as he stopped.

“Yes. My family.” He looked down at an obviously unnaturally created cave that led underground. Crimson leaned in and looks closely at the ground, especially the grains of sand on the ground. "Events have led me to believe that my family has come to the surface."

“That makes sense, I guess.” Twilight started to pace. “That would explain the magic that buried Rainbow Dash. And that would explain…” She looked at the cave in surprise in an epiphany. “… the vault!”

Crimson picked up some sand from his hoof and watched it fall from his hoof to the ground. “You are right, Ms. Twilight Sparkle.” He put his hoof down and looked toward Ponyville and Canterlot. “If I am correct, my family possess your Elements of Harmony.” He started to trot back through the forest toward the city. Twilight ran and caught up to him.

“But why? They can’t use the elements. The elements have to choose who can use them.”

“Do not underestimate the resources and the power of my family.” The two leapt over a small ditch as Crimson continued. “They may find a way to utilize the power of your elements.”

“Impossible!”

“I do not think so. Demi’s sight and her knowledge of the arcane, paired up with Temethyst’s raw power, there is a possibility.”

“Then come on! We have to hurry!” Crimson and Twilight ran harder and faster to get through the forest in a more timely manner.

* * *

The two burst through the forest and continued their run toward Ponyville. They panted heavily as Crimson slightly turned his head toward Twilight. “I have been… meaning to ask… does your princess… know of my whereabouts?”

“What? No.” Twilight looked curiously upon Crimson panting. “Why you ask?”

Crimson looked straight ahead as they started to pass travelers on the roads. “I have encountered some pony… who says she works… for the princess.”

Twilight looked down the path as the two started to gallop around a bend. “If she knew… I’m sure she’d have arrested you.”

After a brief pause, she looked ahead and the two continued their way through the foliage.

* * *

The two escaped the forest and ran toward Ponyville. Twilight looked to Crimson. “I need to… check on Rainbow.”

“Very well.”

Twilight slowed to get on the other side of Crimson. “Why don’t you… see her too?”

“I do not think… that would be wise.”

“Why not?”

“My wanted status… lays undiminished… from recent events.”

“What?” She looked up at Crimson baffled. “What the hoof does that mean?”

“It means… I will be arrested on sight.”

Twilight looked ahead as they neared the road she needed to turn on to get to the hospital. “Where will you be going?”

“Towards the setting sun.”

Twilight slowed for a moment. “West?” She caught up to Crimson and looked at him. “Why west?”

“The filly in the cabin.”

“What? What filly?

“If she can truly see, they will seek her out.”

“Where is the cabin?”

“Near the mountains… on the shores… where your metal tracks reach.”

“Near the…” Twilight thought to herself for a moment, putting Crimson’s clues together. “All the way to Smokey Mountain?”

“If that is what the place is called, then yes.”

“That’ll take too long.” She trotted up and got in front of Crimson to stop his run. The two took a moment to catch their breath. “You can’t run the entire way.”

Crimson panted enjoying the halt in his run. “Do you have another suggestion?”

“I do.” Twilight turned her head toward the train station, then the hospital. “Meet me at the train station in Ponyville. I’ll be there soon.”

Twilight started to trot to the hospital and the two went their separate ways.

Author's Note:

Edit: 10/17/2017, quick reread and tense corrections

PreviousChapters Next