• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 768 Views, 38 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 2 - BluePhoenyx



A continuation of the story of Crimson Thull and his life on the surface.

  • ...
3
 38
 768

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21 - Crimson and the Protestant Mare

Ponies all over Equestria scrambled to get things resituated. Those that were uninjured talked amongst themselves about the earthquake and some told their stories of past experiences of similar effect. Other stories around the lands were at emergency locations, such as hospitals and police stations. Those buildings were loud and bustling with patients and doctors, law enforcement and citizens, all trying to prioritize each incident and trying to get things back in order. In addition to the police stations and hospitals being busy, the major mode of public transportation - the Ponyville Express train - was shut down while mid-restocking and refueling for a safety inspection.

Crimson and Demi stood together at the train station where hopeful passengers rose a ruckus regarding their travel plans. They stared at the train waiting.

Demi looked at her brother. “You said that we should take the train. What are we waiting for?”

“I mean as a mode of travel, not to take it over.”

“That’s ridiculous!” Demi looked at the engine of the train. “We could easily take over this contraption and start our trip.”

Crimson thought to himself for a moment. “We do have to reach Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“Yes, yes. We have to get you to your hussy princess.” Demi started to walk toward the engine and went into the engine room. Crimson followed behind as a pony flew out of the car. He went up to the engine room door and looked at his sister, who was staring at the controls. “This place is a mess.”

Crimson looked around at a small pile of black rock on the floor, the fireplace with a raging fire inside the room, and the strange control board. “I assume you know how to operate this device?”

“Well… No.”

Crimson turned around with his eyes and horn glowing, then stomped his hoof. The train operator finally got to his hooves to recover from the throw only to be grabbed from the ground and drug back over to the train. With the strange commotion, ponies were taking notice of the disturbance happening near the engine. The earth drug the operator over the ground then stopped in front of Crimson. He looked at the pony who had fear with their eyes. His horn continued to glow as he continued his intimidating stare. “You there, I assume you are the operator of this strange device?” The engineer nodded his head, then the earth pushed him back into the engine room. Crimson entered the car and closed the door behind him.

The operator looked at the mare, then the colt. “What’s going on?”

Crimson’s eyes and horn returned to normal. “Take us to Ponyville.”

“But I-”

Demi lifted a hoof and smacked the operator. “That wasn’t a request, fool.” She picked him up and tossed him at the controls.

Afraid, the operator started to turn knobs and pull levers. The mechanical giant bellowed and roared as it slowly started to move down the tracks. Crimson turned to look out the window to notice security guards running after the train. Behind the engine, ponies frantically jumped on the passanger cars, thinking they were about to miss their ride. Finally, the train started to outrun the passengers and the security guards.

Crimson turned to the operator. “How soon until we reach our destination?”

The operator looked at Crimson. “Well, half a day maybe. We’re hauling a lot of cars and cargo.”

Crimson looked at Demi, who nodded and kicked open the door. She whipped back her head and unleashed a whip of fire that cut the section of the car that kept it attached to the engine. She turned around and closed the door behind her as the engine separated itself from its cargo.

“How long now?” Crimson asked as Demi stood on the other side of the operator.

“Well…” He leaned over and looked at the pile of coal. “I’m not sure we can even make it to Ponyville.”

Demi smacked the pony from behind. “Such insolence!”

“I… It’s because we don’t have the fuel.” The operator, shaking in fear, pointed to the coal in the corner of the room. “We have the water in the boiler, but we didn’t have the time to restock the coal before… before our sudden departure.”

Crimson turned and looked at the coal. “Is this… Venzum?” He picked one up with his hoof and looked at it carefully.

Demi leaned around and looked at the pile. “That’s your fuel?”

The operator nodded. “Yes. We use coal to heat the boilers for steam.”

Crimson dropped the coal and looked at the fire. “So the hotter this fire burns, the faster this thing goes?”

“Well, yes… For the most part.”

Crimson turned back toward the coal with glowing eyes and horn. He started to stomp on the coal turning it to dust.

“What are you doing?” The operator protested.

Demi grabbed the operator and held him back. “Quiet, fool! Your knowledge of earthly elements is laughable compared to my brother’s art in geomagics.”

Then, the coal started to glow and float into the air. It turned a glowing red and started to morph into something else entirely. After a few seconds, the pieces of coal turned into bars of a red substance. He turned to the operator.

“Use those.” Crimson turned around and watched as the operator stood up and grabbed one of the red bars.

“What is this?”

“Keravel.” Crimson replied. “A combination of vensum and magic.”

The operator looked at the bar, then opened the furnace door and tossed the bar in. Moments later, he heard the gears of the engine going faster and faster. He started to smile at the mystery as he stared into the fire.

Demi rolled her eyes. “Enough of this.” She pushed the operator aside and looked down at him. “The hotter it is, the faster we go?”

"Uh, yes.”

Demi’s horn lit up and she blasted the furnace with a pillar of fire. The three were knocked back into the wall as the engine’s front section got lifted off of the tracks. After the burst of heat, the engine’s front side slammed back on the tracks rolling the operator across the ground. He stood up and looked outside the window and started to smile at the excitement and speed they were going.

“I’ve never gone this fast before!” He looked out the side as he saw scenery go by in a short amount of time. He watched the trees in the forest turn into a blur as they came and went from his sight. He then looked in horror outside. “Uh, we’ve got a problem.” He looks at the two. “There is a major bend in the tracks. I think we’re going too fast.”

Demi looked at the engineer. “What does that mean?”

“It means we’ll jump off the tracks and crash into the ground.”

Crimson and Demi looked out the window. “What will need to be done to prevent that from happening?” Crimson asked.

“We need to slow down.” The operator replied as he started to pull on a lever. A loud screech was heard from under the train as the operator tried to apply the engine’s breaks. The screech turned into grinding as the friction burned the gears. “It’s not working!”

“What are our options?”

The engineer looked out the window as the engine started to approach the bend. “Umm…” He sthook his head. “I don’t know.”

Crimson looked at Demi. “Sister, follow my lead.”

Demi nodded and their horns lit up. The fire in the furnace was snuffed out as the energy was transferred into their horns. “Now, use the energy to create a hill.”

“I can’t do a circle.”

“Nor can I, my sister. We have to go unbinded.”

"Above ground?"

"Yes, above ground."

Crimson and Demi’s eyes and horn lit up as they focused on the tracks before them. The engineer peeked his head outside to see how long they have to live. Instead, he noticed the ground starting to bend and mold into a different shape. His eyes widened when he noticed a hill forming before them. Without the fire to heat the boiler to keep the engine accelerating, the train started to gently slow down.

“C… Can you lift the left side and drop the right?” The engineer asked.

“Demi… You… lower the right.” Crimson grunted under great physical stress.

“Yes, brother.” Demi replied under equal physical stress. The two started to sweat and shake as Crimson lifted the left side of the tracks and Demi started to lower the right side.

“Okay… Okay… STOP!” The engineer yelled. Crimson and Demi almost collapsed on the floor from their magic seeping their energy. “Hold onto something!” Everyone grabbed a hold of something stable as the train started to tilt to the right. Then, the engine hits the turn. The shift in direction and the speed the engine was going caused every pony in the engine to be tossed to the left side of the car. The engine’s mass caused the tracks to dig deep into the magic formed hill as it started its turn. Finally, the train leveled out as it started its new direction. The engineer got up off the ground and looked out the window. “Holy hoof! You did it!” He turned around and stared behind the engine at the tracks behind them laughing. “You hoof’n did it!” He turned at the two. “That was amazing! How did you..?”

Crimson stood to his hooves. “How many more of those are there?”

“I, uh…” The engineer flipped a console open to reveal a small compartment and he pulled out a map. He fliped it open and looked at it. “Two more like that, and one major near the mountain pass. From there, it’s basically a straight path to Ponyville.”

Crimson used his magic and started to destroy the bars of "Keravel" he created for the momentum. “My sister, if you would manage the speed of this giant mining cart, I shall handle the hills.”

Demi used her magic and reignited the furnace with her magic. The engine kicked a little at the sudden burst of speed.

“Wait, what are you doing?” The engineer asked Crimson as he broke down the magic bars into dust.

“Binding circles.” The bars burst into dust and fell to the floor. Crimson started to draw a circle around himself in the dust.

“Wait, whut?”

Demi smacked the engineer on the back of the head. “Don’t question him, fool. Just stay out of the circle and tell us when the next curve is coming.”

“Uh, right. Okay.” The engineer cowered into a corner as Demi poured more fire into the furnace. "Let's hope there are no other trains on the tracks."

* * *

The earth started to shake at the Ponyville train platform. Ponies started to flee from the strange phenomena as the platform started to get torn apart from the large hill forming from under the tracks. Before anyone at the station knew it, the shaking stopped. With the platform in shambled, the ponies looked at the hill that formed in front of their eyes. Then, the speeding train from Vanhoover slowly rolled up the hill to the crest, then stopped. The earth shook again, and the hill went back into the ground. The engine doors opened as the train arrived in Ponyville in record time. Crimson and Demi exited the train as it smokes and smoldered from the strenuous run. The engineer popped his head out of the door. “Have you thought about engineering? You’d do a great deal for Equestria with your magic.” Crimson and Demi remained silent as they continued walking away. “Okay, well, think about it!” He looked up at the ruins of a train engine, smiling at what he experienced.

Crimson looked up at the boundaries of Ponyville. “Come, my sister. I am sure Princess Twilight Sparkle is in her library.”

Demi looked away. “I’m sure she is, the whelp.”

The two started to trot their way to the library.

* * *

Demi once again stared at the tree that was used as a residence for Twilight Sparkle. She sighed at the sight of the door. “Tell me again why we must ask this weakling for help?”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle is no weakling. Her and her friends will be a great boon to our assault against my brother.”

She stomped her hoof in frustration. “Her and her weakling friends will only get themselves killed.” Crimson walked up to the door. “Don’t be a weakling too, brother. Not like them.”

“You shall see they are not as weak as you believe.” He lifted his hoof and knocked on the door.

The door opened and reveals Twilight at the entryway. She smiled when she saw who it was. “Hi Crimson. I've been waiting for you.”

“Greetings, Princess Twilight Sparkle. My sister and I must have a word with you.”

“Yeah, sure. Come in.” She moved aside and let the two ponies in. They looked around as her and Spike worked on putting the books back up on the shelves. “Did you feel that earthquake earlier today?”

“We have, Princess. In fact, that is one thing we wish to discuss with you.”

For the next half hour, the three sat around the table in the library. Crimson talked to Twilight about what was going on. He told her about the battle with his brother, their trip to Vanhoover, the earthquake, and who they believed caused it. The entire time, Demi stayed quiet staring at Twilight.

“And the tremor may have been caused by my brother.”

“That’s a rather big earthquake. It was big enough to knock all of my books of of the shelves. You’re saying it was just as powerful all the way in Vanhoover?”

“Yes, Princess.”

“That is one hoof of a spell.”

“In addition to such events, my sister has seen your relics.”

Twilight’s eyes popped. “You know where the Elements of Harmony are?”

Demi nodded. “Don’t think I’ll give such information to a lowlife like yourself.”

Twilight recoiled at the remark. “Hey now, what did I do to deserve that? Don’t forget, you were the one that picked a fight with me.”

Demi stood up. “And don’t think I’m afraid to do so again.”

Crimson stood up and stood between the two girls. “My sister, stand down.”

Demi stared through Crimson at the sitting Princess. Then she glanced at her brother and sighed. She sat back down and leaned back.

Crimson turned and sat back down. “I am sorry for my sister’s actions, Princess.”

“It’s okay. She’s just not comfortable in our world. I think I get it.” Twilight stood up. “At any rate, let me get the girls and we can go get the Elements of Harmony back. You two wait here. I’ll be back.” She turned and left the library leaving Demi and Crimson alone as Spike continued to reorganize the shelves.

Crimson looked at Demi. “What do you think you are doing?”

Demi snapped at Crimson. “Proving to you that she is a pathetic weakling.”

“Do not underestimate her. What she lacks in combat experience she makes up for in strength.”

Demi rolled her eyes. “Oh little brother, the only thing she has that matches her lack of combat expertise is her level of failure.”

Spike walked up to the two at the table. “I’m sure Twilight has read tons of books on that. She’ll know what to do.”

Demi stared down at the tiny dragon and started to laugh. “Please, she’s going to get her and her friends killed against King Temethyst.” Demi lifted her hoof and dismissed Spike. “Begone, slave. Leave us be.”

Spike looked surprised at the rudeness of the mare, then walked away while looking down at the ground, upset at how he was treated.

“I shall protect them.” Crimson said.

Demi looked at Crimson shocked. “What?”

“I shall protect Princess Twilight and her friends.”

“Don’t say such foolish things. They will only bring you your death.”

Crimson shook his head. “I do not think so.”

“Well, I… I’ve seen it.”

He stared at Demi. “Are you certain?”

“Yes. Yes I have. It was part of the vision to, uh… to watch the youngest high blood of Thull fall.”

Crimson stared at the mare with suspicion.

* * *

Twilight eventually returned to the library with the other girls in tow. They all entered the library and greeted Crimson and, to a lesser extent, Demi.

Twilight addressed the group. “So here’s our mission: Retrieve the Elements of Harmony from Crimson’s brother, Temethyst, and rescue the captured filly.”

Pinkie Pie jumped up in the air. “And have delicious cake!”

Rarity looked back to Pinkie Pie. “Pinkie, dear, I don’t think cake is going to save the world.”

Pinkie Pie slowly fell to the ground while staring at Rarity. “Never underestimate the powers of cake.” She leaned in closer then whispered, “Never.”

Twilight looked at Demi. “So, where are the Elements of Harmony?”

Demi remained quiet. Crimson looked at his sister. “Demina?”

Demi sighed and looked at her brother. “There is a mountain range where the light vanishes not far from here.” She looked at the six girls with a hopeless look, then back to her brother. “Go to the other side of the mountain range to a brown mountain in the midst of several blue mountains where the forest meets the range.”

Twilight blinked for a moment. “All the way over there?”

Demi went back to looking away from the group. “Yep. Now go get yourselves killed. The sooner the better.”

The group turned and formed a circle. “It sounds like the eastern tip of White Tail Woods. I think I know where she’s talking about.”

“Well, we can’t take the train.” Applejack commented. “Some pony parked a broken heap after destroy’n the platform.”

“That’s a long way for somepony like me to travel.” Rarity held her hoof up. “My hooves just couldn’t handle that kind of strain.”

“And not to mention the filly will have to walk back with us after we rescue the poor thing.” Fluttershy whispered.

Demi stood up. “Rescue?” She walked into the circle. “You fools plan on rescuing that weapon?”

Rainbow Dash looked at Demi. “Why not? We rescued you.”

Demi looked to Rainbow. “You worms merely assisted my recovery. I would have survived without your help.”

Rainbow Dash looked away rolling her eyes. “Whatever.”

Twilight steped between the two. “We have to focus. What we need to is to plan a time to make a plan.”

Demi huffed and sat back down.

* * *

The group started to talk amongst themselves, thinking of a plan of action for when they reached the cave. After a lot of debate, they believed they had a plan.

Twilight, writing notes, finished her thoughts on the plan. “And that’s that.”

Demi laughed to herself. “Hah, do you really think a silly plan like that will work?”

Twilight looked at Demi. “We have to try, don’t we? All of Equestria is at risk.” She stood up with the girls following suit shortly after. “Let’s get ready and meet at the edge of town in three hours. We have a long trip ahead of us.” All but Twilight, Crimson, and Demi left the library to get their supplies. After Twilight closed the door behind her friends, she let out a deep sigh, then turned around. She looked up at Crimson, who stood ready, then at Demi, who sat back with her hooves crossed, looking away defiant and angry. “Well, let’s get started.”

Author's Note:

Edit: 10/18/2017, quick reread and tense corrections

PreviousChapters Next