• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 767 Views, 38 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 2 - BluePhoenyx



A continuation of the story of Crimson Thull and his life on the surface.

  • ...
3
 38
 767

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24 - Crimson and the Mare's Tale

Twilight, injured and exhausted, landed on the sun and moon rising ceremony tower peek. There, Princess Celestia stood, staring at the sky, and at the storm that has died over the mountains not long ago.

“Princess Twilight, I’m glad you’ve returned.”

“P... Princess Celestia.” Twilight nearly collapsed, but was caught my Celestia.

“Are you okay?” Celestia looked over Twilight to see the huge discolored skin tone from her injury.

“I’ll be fine.” She turned and looked toward the battle.

Celestia looked up at the calming storm. “What’s going on?”

“The Elements, they’re… They’re corrupt or something. They had this strange dark glow around them. And I think they’re empowering Crimon's evil brother, King Temethyst.”

Celestia looked at Twilight. “Is that the one who stole the Elements of Harmony?”

“Yes, Princess. And I fear he’s in control of them now.”

“That’s impossible!” Celestia looked back up at the storm.

“That’s what I thought. But it’s true.”

“What was that storm? And why is the sky dark?”

“Temethyst. I think he caused it.”

The ground suddenly trembled and shook with great magnitude. Celestia and Twilight leapt out of the tower and hovered in air as the tower started to crack at the intensity of the quake. They looked in horror at Canterlot as a number of buildings yield and crumble from the power of the earth. Then, the sounds of a loud and sudden boom, like an intense thunder, shook the very foundation of the earth, causing Twilight to stop flapping her wings from the stunning sound. She started to fall down toward the ground stunned by the loud boom, but was caught by Celestia just before she hit the ground. Shortly after, the ground settled and calmed itself.

While holding Twilight, Celestia landed and looked around at the devastation caused by earthquake.

Twilight got on her hooves and looked around too. “This is Temethyst’s doing.”

“What a strange and powerful force. Come, Princess Twilight. We have to go into the war room.”

* * *

The council sat, shouting at each other at what they should do next before Celestia and Twilight entered the room. Forgetting etiquette, they kept on yammering as the two walked around the table and to their seats. Celestia lifted her hoof. “That’s enough!” Slowly, the talking came to an end and they all looked at the two. “Princess Twilight has discovered a new foe as well as discovered the location of the Elements of Harmony.”

“Where are they?”

“We need their power!”

Again, Celestia lifted her hoof. “Silence!” The room quickly quieted down as Celestia continued. “We have to help the citizens of Equestria with this incident. I want all resources on this matter while I get the Elements of Harmony back.”

The doors slammed open showing the sage at the entrance. “I’m sorry I’m late.”

Twilight lifted her hoof at the sage. “Wait, you…” The sage walked up passed the table and to the empty seat next to Celestia. “You’re…” The sage lifted her hooves and unveils her hood. “Princess Luna!”

“I have battled our new foe. He is much stronger than I.” Luna reached under her cloak and pulled out the remains of the Elements of Harmony, but without the gems.

Celestia tried to refrain her surprise. “How is this possible?”

“I don’t know.” The room erupted in chatter before Luna continued. “There is more.” The room stopped to listen. “I fear that this threat will destroy all of Equestria less we can stop him.”

“That’s impossible!” Celestia stood up.

“I have delayed him, but he will be back.”

Amongst the commotion, a question stood out. “How?” With that, the room silenced to listen to the explanation.

Luna looked upon the council. “I fear his power over the earth can rip our world to pieces.”

The room exploded in commotion. Celestia lifted her hoof. “Calm yourselves… I said SILENCE!” The ponies cowered in fear from the divine voice used by Celestia. The room remained quiet.

“Princess, I may have an idea.” The purple unicorn officer said.

“Speak, Warlock.”

“With the massive amount of information supplied to us from Princess Twilight, I believe we may be able to mend the earth.”

Celestia looked at the unicorn with curiosity. “Explain.”

“Well, I... See, we’ve been studying the Princess’s notes around the clock since we’ve received them. Though we’re not powerful enough to make the magic work, I believe ponies of high power, such as yourselves, can make the magic work. But, it’ll require you both to work together.”

The room remained quiet as the warlock sat down. Luna turned to Celestia. “My sister, I must speak with you in private.” Celestia nodded her head and the two stood up and walked to the back corner of the room. “Princess Twilight Sparkle, please join us. I believe I owe you an explanation as well. Twilight nervously stood up and walked to the two. “My sister, I am sorry. This is all my fault.”

Celestia shook her head. “Why would you think of such a thing?”

Luna looked down in shame. “Because these ponies - they were created by me.”

Twilight’s eyes bulged from the bombshell. “Wait, what?”

“‘Tis true. I created an army of clay and magic fire underground over a thousand years ago to be used to overthrow my sister from the throne. When I lost the fight, I was banished to the moon and they were left wandering the ground below us. Until recently, I thought they have perished long ago, taking my shame with them. Ever since I have heard the stories of the curved horn warrior, I have searched all over Equestria for him trying to hide my shameful act from you. I am sorry.”

Celestia put her hoof under her sister’s chin. “Do not worry, my sister. I forgive you.”

Twilight started to think about what she heard, and what she remembered from previous encounters. “So when Temethyst called you an absent and failed goddess…”

“‘Tis because I wasn’t there for them.”

“So your stories must have been told through their generations. That’s amazing.”

Celestia looked at the two. “We need to keep order in Equestria so there is no need to discuss this information with anypony. Luna is my sister and Equestria’s Princess. We don’t need any pony undermining her from her past mistakes.” The three came to an agreement, and they returned to their seats. The officers sat and waited to be filled in. “My sister and I will use our power to control the earth as best as we can to save Equestria.”

“Then who will battle this powerful pony who has the Elements of Harmony? Who has the power to do what Princess Luna couldn’t?”

Twilight thought to herself. “I think I know who we need to talk to.”

Princess Celestia stood up. “Then every pony help the civilians. Warlock, assist Princess Twilight Sparkle. Dismissed.”

* * *

The haze of a long slumber fogged up her vision as Demi tried to open her eyes. When her eyes opened, she noticed that she had been put into a room of some type. She tried to get up to notice that some of her limbs have been bound. With each movement, she felt a sharp pain in various parts of her body. She soon realized that she was in an infirmary of some kind. She looked around to see her brother hooked up to all sorts of crazy contraptions. She then noticed the girls bandaged and mended too, resting in the same room. Demi let out a loud sigh as she placed her head back on the pillow. Her sigh was enough to catch Fluttershy’s attention.

“Oh, you’re awake.” Fluttershy walked over to Demi.

“So this is what it’s like to lose in a fight.”

“You’ve suffered many injuries, but you should be okay.”

Demi looked over to Crimson thinking about the wound he sustained in the forest. “And what of my brother..?”

“He… He’s in bad shape. Twilight came to visit and did something, then she left again.”

“Is he going to be okay?”

“I don’t know.” Fluttershy looked away as she started to tear up.

“That… What is that?” Fluttershy looked away from Demi, trying to see what she’s looking at. “No, that water coming from your face.” Fluttershy turned and looked at Demi. “That spell has been cast on me twice while I’ve been on the surface, as well as other strange and mystical enchantments.”

Fluttershy wiped her tears with her hoof. “What spell? Crying?”

“Crying...?”

“Crying isn’t a spell. It’s an emotion of love or the feeling of pain.”

Demi turned her head and stared at the ceiling. “That’s nonsense.” Fluttershy sniffled and wiped her tears away. Demi looked once again at Fluttershy. “How did I get here?”

“Rainbow Dash. She carried you all the way from the cave to Ponyville.”

Demi turned her head and looked at the light blue pegasus. “Why do you ponies do it?”

“Do what?”

Demi looked at Fluttershy. “This is twice now that you’ve helped me even though I’ve tried to kill you. I don’t get it.”

“Oh.”

“You’re all a bunch of idiots for saving my life. You should have left me to die. It would have saved you all a ton of trouble.”

“We couldn’t do that. You needed our help.”

“You all could have died.”

“Well, yes. But you still needed our help.”

“Fools.” Demi looked away then noticed a pony missing. “Where is Twilight Sparkle?”

“Well, she fought that big, bad pony so Rainbow Dash and I could save you and Crimson. She stopped in after going to the castle to check up on us. She said she’ll be back later after she takes care of a few things.”

“Hah!” Demi cringeed in pain from a laugh. “Don’t think I believe that story for a minute. She doesn’t have enough power to hold a hoof against King Temethyst.”

“Oh, but she did. And if it weren’t for her,-”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t bother saying it.” After a moment of silence, Fluttershy turned around and took a step. “Wait…” Fluttershy turned around. “I still don’t understand. Why are you always taking care of me? Why did you all risk your lives for me?”

Fluttershy looked down to Demi and smiled. “Because that’s what friends do.”

Demi remained silent and Fluttershy walked away to tend to another’s wounds. “Nonsense.” She said, shaking her head. Regardless, deep down, she doubted her words.

* * *

The following day, Twilight entered the infirmary where everyone rested in. Crimson remained unconscious as the hospital kept a close eye on him. No pony in the hospital believed he made such a painful trip back, much less survived the night with such a wound. The girls have been on their hooves, taking their recovery one step at a time. Demi, on the other hand, remained in her bed.

Twilight walked next to Crimson’s bed. “Hey. How’s he doing?”

Fluttershy walked next to Twilight. “His condition hasn’t changed.”

“What about Demi? How is she?”

“She’s-”

Demi answered Twilight while keeping her eyes at the ceiling. “I’m awake, underling.”

Twilight looked over to Demi. “Ah, good.” She walked up beside her bed. “I have something for you. A mutual friend said you need this.” She put a pouch on the bed.

Demi looked at the pouch. “You fool! Use this on my brother NOW!”

“This medicine has already been administered to him. It closed the wound, but I was told that the other wounds will take a little longer to heal.”

Demi tried to sit up to see her brother hadn’t moved a muscle. “Are you sure you did it right?”

“Yes. The pony who gave it to me explained everything.” She started the mix the concoction into a bowl just like Demi did in the cage. Then, she added something that wasn’t in her bag. The mixture thinned out and she poured it into a vial. “Here, drink.”

“Do you think I’ll put my lips on-”

“Oh, shut up and drink already.” Demi looked coldly at Twilight, then drank the elixir. She tried not to cringe at the grainy texture or the dirty flavor. “Good. I’ll be back in an hour to see how you’re doing.”

“Even the all mighty Princess Twilight Sparkle looks after me. How pathetic.”

Twilight turned around and started walking toward the door. Demi took a deep breath, then started to feel groggy. “You tra… tr…. you… you… drug...ed… me...hhh..” In a moment’s notice, she was out like a light.

* * *

Again, like a groggy mess, Demi woke up. She looked around, feeling more relaxed than she did before she passed out. “Where is that fool, Twilight Sparkle?! I’ll kill her for drugging me!” She looked around to find that her and Crimson were the only ones left in the room.

Twilight walked into the room. “Calm down. I didn’t drug you.” She walked up to Demi and started to unwrap her slings. “You needed your rest anyways.” Demi’s hoof fell freely onto the bed. She recoiled, expecting pain to shoot through her leg, but she felt nothing of the sort. “You okay?”

“Y… yes.. I am fine, apparently.”

“Good.” She finished unbinding her. “I need your help.”

Demi scoffed. “Hah, my help?”

“Yes.” She extended a hoof to help Demi up.

Demi sat up, ignoring Twilight’s helping hoof. “And what makes you think I’ll help YOU?”

“We need to even the odds for when Temethyst comes to Ponyville.”

“And how do you expect we do that?”

Twilight leaned over and picked up the bag with the medicine. She grabbed Demi’s hoof, opened the bag, and shook it over Demi’s hoof. A small illustrious spherical object fell from the bag and into Demi’s hoof. Immediately, the object caught Demi’s eye. “What is…” She started to closely inspect the object. “What is this?”

“It’s a pearl from the bottom of the sea. I’m told you can use this.”

Demi looked up at Twilight. “By who?”

“The same pony who gave me the medicine.”

“I see.” She put her focus back on the pearl. “Very well. I shall help you.”

“Great!”

“In return…” Demi grasped the pearl and looked up to Twilight. “In return I want two things. I want things done EXACTLY how I want them done.”

“Ooookay, I’m sure we can make that happen.”

“Secondly, I want a favor from you.”

Twilight pointed to herself. “From me?”

“Yes. And when I ask this favor, you HAVE to do it, no matter what it is.”

Twilight looked at Crimson in his unconscious state, then back to Demi. “For Equestria, I’ll do it.”

“Good. Because if you don’t, I’ll kill you where you stand.” Demi stood up and walked passed Twilight. “Now, tell me how you got this exactly.”

Twilight followed behind her. “Trading.”

Demi turned and looked at Twilight. “By a simple trade?”

“We have an open trading pact with the Sea King Triton.”

“And how many of these can you get your hooves on?”

“Well, a lot, probably.”

“And how about precious metals or gems? Rhrothilum? Tetctorium? Chillenium?”

Twilight looked baffled. “Um, I… I’m sure we can get some if needed, when I figure out what those are.”

“Good, because we will in fact need it.” Demi glanced at Crimson for a moment, then looked back to Twilight. “My idiot brother says you’re unrivaled in wisdom and knowledge of magic.”

Twilight tried not to blush. “Well, I wouldn’t say th-”

Demi whipped around and stared hard in Twilight eyes. “Don’t undermine my brother’s words, weakling! That is a grand compliment from a superior and you WILL accept and appreciate it.”

Twilight lifted her hoof. “Okay, Okay. Thank you.”

“That’s better. Now, tell me of your best blacksmiths, your tailors, and your jewelers…”

“Rarity is probably our best tailor. She has an eye for fashion…” Twilight thought to herself for a moment. “And probably one of our better jewelers in Ponyville too. The jewelry she makes with her gowns are-”

Demi lifted a hoof to stop Twilight from talking. “Fine, fine. She’s decent. And your blacksmith?” She turned around and the two walked out of the hospital.

“That’s where we’re in trouble. A lot of our quality goods are imported.”

“So you don’t have anypony who can run a smith?”

“Well, maybe Applejack.”

Demi sighed. “I suppose it’ll do. With my help, I’m sure I can make her sufficient enough. Come, minion. Let us get a list together.”

Even though Twilight loveed lists and organization, the belittling started to slowly creep its way into her nerves. “Now hold on.”

Demi continued walking, ignoring Twilight. Twilight trotted ahead of Demi and stopped her in her tracks. Demi looked away frustrated. “What?”

“I have been nice to you. I have helped you. I have even risked mine and my friend’s lives to save you. You owe it to me to tell me what your problem is.”

“I owe you nothing.”

Twilight stompped her hoof on the floor. “Bull hoof! My friends got hurt for you and you continue to treat us like garbage. I want an explanation!”

“And when I feel you’re worthy of any explanation for any reason, I will give you one.” Demi lifted her hoof and pushed Twilight aside.

Twilight’s brow folded in rage as she looked at Demi. Then, her horn glows and she telekinetically grabs Demi and drags her back.

“That’s it, fool.” Demi’s eyes and horn lit up as she stomped on the ground. A large chunk of earth ripped itself from the ground and flew toward Twilight. Twilight’s telekinetic grip on Demi lifted as she lowered her head and blasted the boulder with magic, turning it to sand. While still having a magical hold on the sand, Demi twisted her hoof on the ground causing the sand to crawl up Twilight’s legs. Twilight looked at the stone shackles, lightly nudged her head, then the stone shackles turned back to sand and was pushed away from a light breeze. Demi screamed and jumps at Twilight to physically attack the Princess, tackling her. Twilight looked up at the angered pony pushing her away, then used her telekinetic superiority to lift Demi into the air. She stood up as Demi’s horn glowed, and fired a burst of flame from her horn at Twilight. While still holding her in the air, Twilight counterattacked the flames with a ray of magic from her horn. The two attacks struggled for ground back and forth before the two let out a large pulse that knocked Twilight back off of her hooves. Demi was thrown away from the battleground and over a hill as the telekinetic lift was greatly amplified by the magical pulse. Twilight got up and looked at where Demi was last seen. She huffed to herself, then trotted toward the angered seer. She ran up to the top of the hill and looked down toward the field where Twilight thought she saw Demi land. Suddenly, Twilight dropped into the ground down to her shoulder, then the ground closed around her, trapping her from the neck down. Demi lifted up from a shelter hidden in the earth and she walked up to Twilight. Twilight struggled and was ready to cast a spell. “If you do any kind of magic, I’ll crush you.” Twilight stopped struggling, and looked at her victor.

Demi looked down at Twilight as the two remained silent. “Even when you never had a chance, you still fought me.” She stomped her hoof and Twilight was lifted from her stone prison. “I don’t understand you.” Demi leaned in at Twilight and looked in her eyes. “Don’t do that again.” Demi turned around and started to walk away.

“What will it take?” Twilight asked.

Demi turned her head toward Twilight. “What do you mean?”

“What will it take to get your respect?” Demi looked ahead of her and continued to walk. “It’s not courage. It’s not strength. It’s not kindness. So what is it?”

Demi stopped and turned around. “I don’t think you can ever earn my respect.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t like you.” Twilight lightly recoiled at Demi’s reply as she looked at Twilight. “You’ve turned my brother a spineless weakling; a foolish whelp running worthless errands for pathetic reasons. Before you, my brother never took prisoners. He never risked his life for a worthless pony, much less an opposing seer. He was feared and respected. He was a warrior and a conqueror before you!”

Twilight looked away for a moment then shook her head. “I didn’t change Crimson.”

Demi stomped her hoof. “That is a lie!”

Twilight again shook her head then looked at Demi. “No, I didn’t change him. You say he never took prisoners and he was a conqueror. He wasn’t like that when I met him.” Demi remaind speechless. “When I first met Crimson, he was a different pony than he is now. That is true. But when I met him, he overpowered countless soldiers like they were nothing. He used magic we’ve never seen before and his power was unmatched. An entire battalion was incapacitated and he didn’t even break a sweat. He could have killed every pony in Ponyville if he wanted. Still, amidst all of the power and destruction we brought upon Ponyville, he never hurt anypony. None.” Demi looked at Twilight in anger and confusion. “I didn’t change Crimson. I think he wanted to change so he changed himself.”

Demi looked away. “That’s ridiculous.”

“Is it?”

Demi started to think to herself about what she had just heard, then thought about how Crimson acted before he vanished from her life. Then, she looked down at the ground. “No, I suppose not.” Demi started to think about when things felt like they started to change. “He… He tried to talk to me and tell me. And I betrayed him. I told Scorch about his traitorous words. He didn’t seem the same after that. He was… distant.”

“How did you see him?”

“How did I see him?” Demi repeated questionably while looking up at Twilight. “My brother was a courageous and fearless pony; disciplined and strong; honorable and noble.”

“Funny you should say that, because I feel he is exactly how you just described him.”

Demi thought to herself for a moment, then looked at Twilight. “He’s still a weakling.”

Twilight’s eyes popped in surprise. “Are you kidding? Have you ever seen him display so much power when battling Temethyst?”

“... You do have a point. His strength has improved, even without enhancements. Speaking of which, why not slay the seer instead of save her? It could have saved us a lot of trouble. And I could have helped my brother instead of giving the false visions. We could have beaten King Temethyst!”

“I don’t think so. Did you see him spit a giant blue dragon from his mouth? Or what about him ripping a hole in the ground straight to the core of the world itself? I think he was playing with Crimson.”

Demi thought for a moment, then looked away. “You still didn’t answer my question.”

“Well, you didn’t answer mine.”

The two stood silent in a standoff. “Tell me, what do you think of my brother?”

“Of Crimson? Well, he is just as you said. He’s one of the bravest and noblest ponies I know.”

“I’m sure…” Demi looked suspiciously upon Twilight. “Come, then. We have much work to do.”

A few steps later, Twilight got a thought. “I have a question. You’ve been asking what we thought of your brother. I’ve been wondering, what about you?”

“What do you mean?”

“What do YOU think of your brother?”

Demi stopped in her tracks in thought with Twilight stopping beside her. She thought to herself as a pause ensued.

“Nevermind, let’s get back to work.”

Demi looked up to Twilight. “I believe I owe you an explanation, do I not?”

“Only if you want.”

“I do. My brother trusts you. I believe I should try as well.” Twilight smiled as Demi started her tale. “My tale begins when I was still young, and when I was introduced into House Thull. When I pledged allegiance, I was treated like any other lowlife mare slave - abused and misused. It wasn’t until a young noble came by that I had any meaning in this life. His name was Crimson Thull, one of the few remaining blood nobles of the entire house. He saw me and rescued me from a slave’s life. The respect every pony gave him was inspiring and fearsome, even for a colt as young as him. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“I’ve always suspected, but it sounds like you’re not actually physically related.”

“Family is beyond blood where I’m from. Still, I suppose family doesn’t mean the same as it does to you.”

“It really doesn’t. The family you’re talking about means love and honesty. It means trust and-”

“Do you wish for me to continue my tale?”

“Oh, sorry. Please, continue.”

“As I was saying, I’m older than Crimson, but not by much. Maybe half a season. Still, he took me under his hoof and cared for me. We used to spar all the time and we’d sit in the upper rings staring at the Great Forge of Lazbral’thull and talk for hours.” Demi looked up into the sky. “Those were the best days of my life.” She paused for a moment, reminiscing her tale, then looked back to Twilight. “When the house discovered I was a seer, they took me away - separated me from the normal life of a simple mare. I didn’t see my brother for many seasons after that. I suppose you could call it training, but it felt like I was a slave again. I was tortured into harnessing this… curse. I felt alone again. I was taught how to control the power. I was taught tactics, war, fearlessness, strength. And after I was finished with their training, I was respected. I had power. I was feared. I was an officer. And I was a different pony. By that time, my brother was going into combat. He was a soldier. I’d heard stories of his battles, but that was it. Just stories. Still, some of the things I’d hear sounded like there was a hint of embellishment.” She paused in thought as she smiled.

Twilight observed the smile. “What?”

“It wasn’t until hearing the stories when I realized I wanted to see him again. It took a few seasons, but I eventually weaved my way into his unit. He was the same pony I knew. He didn’t have the scars he has now. He still tried to take me under his hoof, but I was stronger.” Demi stopped her story as she thought to herself. “We weren’t as close as we were before I was taken. Thinking about it now, maybe I was the one who changed, not him. Maybe I was the reason…” With another pause, she turned and started to walk away. “Enough silly talk. Let’s get back to work.”

The two walked together in silence as they went back into Ponyville. “Demi, I know it must have been tough to talk to me like you did, but I do appreciate it. Thanks.”

Demi looked at Twilight. “I never spoke of that until now. Though I have to admit, it was strangely refreshing. It gave me a lot to think about.” After a few steps, Demi glared at Twilight. “And don’t you dare speak a word about it.”

“I won’t tell a soul.”

Author's Note:

Edit: 10/18/2017, quick reread and tense corrections.

PreviousChapters Next