• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 767 Views, 38 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 2 - BluePhoenyx



A continuation of the story of Crimson Thull and his life on the surface.

  • ...
3
 38
 767

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18 - Crimson and the Reuniting of a Seer

Demi ran as fast as she could through the forest, fleeing for her life from the cave. Barely escaping the magical blue explosion from her brother’s magic, she started running in any direction she could away from the cave. When she felt it was safe, she came to a stop and caught her breath. She turned to look behind her to see nothing but trees and brush. She fell on the ground and laid on her side breathing heavily. Her legs felt like noodles from the vast amount of ground she had covered to get to the cave, and then from her time running away from her brothers. In the back of her mind, she knew she would be hunted. After a moment, she gathered enough energy to stand up, then moved to a tree and climbed up a few branches to sit and rest out of general view. She closed her eyes as they turned white for a dream and a vision of her immediate life.

Before long, her eyes popped open and she jumped onto the ground as the tree she was resting in was ripped in half by a blast of fire. She rolled aside as a lashing of a flame whip hit the ground she landed on. She put her back against a tree as she tried to control her breath. A moment of silence. Only the sound of the fire on the tree could be heard. She looked behind her other shoulder and felt that she had a moment of safety. Her eyes turned white to catch a glimpse of what could come, leaving her vulnerable during her vision. She popped out of her vision and ducked just as a flaming lash ripped through the trunk of the tree. She quickly started to draw a binding circle as the tree collapsed from the cut. Her eyes and horn lit up as she pressed on the ground, allowing the hidden energies of the earth to combine with her will. She lifted her hoof, then stomped on the circle. The circle lit up in a quick burst of intense heat causing the energy built up to travel through the ground twenty meters away, where it burst from the ground, causing a massive stone spike to rip from the ground hitting nothing but air. With her missed attack, she performed a leaping roll on the ground, keeping low and out of sight while using the brush as cover, then hid behind another tree. She pressed her back against the trunk trying to catch her breath. She knew her hunter. He knew how to kill seers. That was one of his specialties. He knew their weakness - their visions. Exploiting their moment of near helpless while in their trance when they try to use their powers of sight to strike them down. Scorch was a skilled and intelligent warrior. Normally, he talked to try to demoralize his foes. This time, he needed to focus. He needed to be careful. He needed to be patient. Demi knew it. And deep down, it worried her. One wrong step for either of them and the battle would be over.

A pause ensued. Finally able to control her breath, she waited and listened intently, trying to find out where her brother was. Again, she started to draw in the ground in preparation of her brother’s attack. She also knew she shouldn't stay in one place for too long. It was a risk drawing a binding circle and taking her full attention away from her surroundings, but it was a risk she felt she needed to take. Then, she caught a break. She heard a snap of a twig that wasn't a part of the fires near by. Abandoning the binding circle, she jumped from her hiding place with her horn glowing and launched a pillar of fire from her horn. The magic reached out and soaked and absorbed some of the flames around, causing the pillar to grow in strength. The pillar blasted a huge hole in the forest, catching all that it touched on fire. She looked up at the result only to realize she’s been had. She started to run through the forest away from the fight knowing her brother was nearby. Ducking under low branches and jumping over fallen logs, she quickly came to a road where she felt a sting on her flank. The sudden sting threw her off her stride and she fell to the ground rolling with the impact. Before she got up, she was pinned by the armored pony that was her brother. Scorch looked down at her with his red eyes. His black coat was flawless and his armor was unscuffed. He started to dig his climbing claws into her flesh as he grinned.

“My dear sister, how I’ve longed to put you in your place.” Demi’s eyes start to go white, but Scorch smacked her face, pulling her out of her trance. “Coward!” He dug his claws a little bit deeper into Demi’s shoulders. “I thought you’d have posed at least a little bit of a challenge for me. I thought you were supposed to be good considering you and the traitor used to always work together. It’s a shame you’ll die like the traitor will - like a weakling without dignity or honor.”

“Crimson…” Demi said under her breath.

Scorch lifted his hoof getting ready to slash at Demi with one of his climbing claws. Just as he was about to snuff her out, he was interrupted by a voice in the distance. “Hey, are you okay?” He turned his head to see a couple of earth ponies pulling a cart on the road. They looked at each other and started to rush to the fighting pair.

“Fools!” Scorch leaned his head down and blasted them with a fireball, launching them off the road and partially on fire.

Demi got an idea and took the distraction as an opportunity. She lashed a whip of fire from her horn, grabbing Scorch’s throat. She whipped her head to the side, tossing her brother off of her and into the bushes. She got up and started to limp back into the forest where they came from. She started to recalling the route she took, and remembered what she jumped over and what she avoided. She went as quickly as she could, taking no caution to the noise or tracks she made. Finally, she got to the site where she drew the binding circle.

“You coward!” Scorch yelled as he steped from the shadows of the forest. “You’ve run do a slower death.” He started to step toward her as she turned around to face her foe. “Go ahead. Use your sight. See how your life will end.”

Demi lifted her hoof with glowing horn and eyes. “Not today, brother.” Scorch looked down at the binding circle as Demi stomped, releasing her energy into the circle. The ground was energized as Scorch leaned back, unleashing a whip of fire from his horn. He lashed the whip toward her injured sister as she pushed up from the ground. A column of earth lifted, quickly pierced the ground and started to lift her through the trees. At the canopy, she jumped up from the column as it came to a stop, shooting her into the sky. She spread her wings and started to glide away from the fight. The column crumbled as Scorch tore it down with his whip. He started to jump up into the trees to the canopy of the forest to try to see where his sister had fled. He looked at the town in the distance. After a brief study of what he saw, he jumped down and glided to the ground, then ran in pursuit of his sister.

* * *

Twilight finished her notes on her discoveries regarding Crimson’s magic. She rolled up the notes and sealed it in wax. “Spike, send this to Warlock Magicrest.”

Spike took the letter. “Right.” He took a breath, but paused. “Wait, who?”

“The head researcher at the EMRDD.”

“Oh. Right.” He took a breath, then paused again. “What was that again?”

“The Equst… You know what?” She took the letter from Spike’s claws. “Nevermind. I should really deliver this myself.”

Rainbow Dash looked up at Twilight. “Uh, Twilight. What do you suppose we should do?”

Twilight turned around. “With Crimson still being wanted, I don’t think it would be a good idea for all of us to go. You girls stay here. I’ll be back soon.” She turned and left the library.

Applejack turned to Crimson. “So, I gatta ask. If yall’s magic is all earthly, can ya do something to make things grow?”

Crimson stared at Applejack. “I do not understand.”

“You know, like make apple trees grow bigger and stronger.”

“I do not know the anatomy of your trees so it would be difficult to say.”

Rainbow Dash walked up to Crimson. “If your sister made a giant monster face from rocks, can you make like an awesome pony creature come to life?”

“It would take a great deal of power and focus to actively manipulate the earth for an automation.”

“Auto-what?” Pinkie Pie asked in confusion.

“Automation. Controlling an object like a golem or other devices.”

“And a golem iiiis…”

Crimson thought for a moment while looking at Pinkie Pie. “I suppose a statue of any construct that is brought to life.”

“Could they take the form of a cake?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Pinkie, I don’t think cakes can move on their own.”

“Yeah, but what if you made a cake that could move on its own. Then you wouldn’t have to feed yourself the deliciousness of cake when it would feed itself to you.”

The girls stood speechless for a moment. “You know, that doesn’t sound like such a bad idea.”

Crimson stepped in. “I suppose you could create a food that is a golem. Usually, they are in a shape of a creature like a pony.”

Rarity chimed in with her question. “Crimson, dear. Do you think your earth magic could find gold and mold it into precise jewelry?”

“Feeling what the earth feels is a difficult task that often ends up in failure. That being said, it is possible. As for the bending of gold, that is possible with the proper amount of magical power. However, magical synthetic refinement is generally required to make a trinket of any real worth.”

The door to the library slowly squeaked open and the group turned to see who it was. Rainbow Dash jumped and hovered at the sight of the robed mare who put her in a coma. “You!”

“Little.. broth-…” Demi collapsed starting to succumb to her wounds.

Crimson stared with wonder and on guard at the sight of his injured sister. “Demi..?”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Rainbow Dash said. “You’re no match for my awesomeness!”

Fluttershy looked at the wounded mare and started to run to her. Crimson lifted his hoof to stop her advance. She looked up to Crimson. “She’s hurt. We have to help her.”

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms. “Bull hoof! She almost killed me!”

Applejack stepped in. “I agree. If she’s as dangerous as you say she is, we shouldn’t go rush’n in like that.”

“I don’t care!” Fluttershy said, pushing Crimson’s arm away. “We have to help her.”

Crimson looked at Fluttershy then nodded. “Very well. Be cautious.”

Fluttershy rushed to Demi’s aid and noticed piercings in her shoulders and large, deep cuts in her rear flank. She looked closer at the wounds. “They’re not bad, but they’ve been untreated. They may get an infection.”

Crimson stepped up to his sister. “How did you survive?”

“It… It’s good to see you too.”

Fluttershy looked up at the girls. “Get me bandages and clean water.”

Rarity looked at the mare who almost slit her throat on the beaches. “What are you doing here?”

Demi’s eyes started to blink slower and slower. “My b.. brother… hhhelp…” She closed her eyes and started to go unconscious.

Rarity stomped her hoof. “That wasn’t a good enough answer!”

Fluttershy looked up at Rarity. “Rarity, please get some bandages.”

Rarity huffed, then turned to help her once overpowering opponent.

* * *

A short time passed and Demi was wrapped up in bandages. Her wounds were cleaned and free of infection, and she rested in Twilight’s bed. Crimson walked into the library from working outside for a bit as the group sat around the table in the middle of the library while Fluttershy worked in the kitchen. Crimson sat at the table with the group.

Rarity stomped her hoof in a pout. “This is ridiculous. Why is she here?”

Rainbow Dash rubbed some of her still tender wounds. “And why did we help her?”

Fluttershy turned around to the group. “Because she needed help. I can’t leave any pony like that. I have to help.”

“I agree.” Crimson added. “This will give us time to interrogate her on her intentions.”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No, she needs rest.”

Rainbow Dash and Rarity protested. “And we need answers!”

Crimson stood up. “I shall stay with my sister. You all get some rest. I shall inform you of any developments to her status.”

“She just needs rest.” Fluttershy repeated as she turned around and grabbed what she was working on. “Here.” She handed Crimson a plate of food and drink. “This is for Demi when she wakes up.”

Crimson looked at her offering in confusion. “I still do not fully understand you all.”

The girls started to walk toward the library door before Rainbow Dash stopped and turned around. “I still think this is a bad idea.”

Crimson turned to Rainbow Dash. “I agree to an extent. However, something does not seem right. I must talk to my sister.”

Fluttershy looked at Crimson. “Okay, but promise you’ll be gentle.”

Crimson nodded, then the girls left the library.

Spike walked up to Crimson. “So, uh…”

Crimson looked down at the tiny dragon. “Are there any more bandages? I will need to change her dressings soon.”

Spike looked around. “I think they’re all used up. I’ll go get more.” He turned and headed out of the library, leaving the two alone. Crimson went up to the second level and stared at his sister.

Not long after, Demi’s eyes cracked open. Then she jumps to her hooves and backed up into a corner. She frantically looked around, wondering where she was. She saw her brother watching her.

Demi let out a sigh of relief. “B-brother. I found you.”

Crimson nodded. “That you have.”

She took a step forward, but the shock wore off and she winced in pain.

“What happened?”

“Scorch.” Demi replied. “He tried to kill me.”

“Why would he do that?”

Demi looked down in despair. “I have apparently outlived my usefulness. The King was going to kill me for failing my mission.”

Crimson shook his head. “A cold reminder on why I have forsaken such a lifestyle.”

Demi looked up to her brother. “Why did you do it?”

“Do you need to ask why? Look at you. You were one of House Thull’s top advisers and King Temethyst almost killed you for a failed mission.”

“The mission cost me my honor.” Demi looked down trying to look strong, but felt weak and lost on the inside.

Crimson put his hoof on his sister’s shoulder. “Are you well enough to walk?”

Demi looked over her wounds. “I’ve had worse.”

Crimson smiled as he turned around. “Come, my sister. We have much to catch up on.”

Demi looked at her brother. “Why?”

Crimson stopped and turned around.

“Why didn’t you kill me?”

“Things are different for me.” He took a step forward. “This world is an amazing world. It is the opposite of the lifestyle in which we were forced to live in.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“No, I suppose it does not.” Crimson paused for a second. “I suppose it is because I did not want to.”

“You always were a softie.”

The two smiled and Crimson sat next to his sister. “That of which I do not regret.”

After a brief pause, Demi looked up to her little brother. “I need your help. Scorch is hunting me.”

“I figured as much. Fear not, my sister. I am ready.”

Demi shook her head. “You know our brother. He never fails.”

“On the contrary, he failed to retrieve the filly at the beach.”

“But he succeeded after.” Demi rubbed her neck with her hoof. “Otherwise, I’d still be useful.”

“Trust me. That life was no life to live.”

Demi looked at her brother. “Your attitude has changed. You used to be ruthless and brave. You’re not the brother I used to know.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

After a brief pause, Demi shook her head. “No, I suppose not.”

Crimson stood up. “Since you can not walk, get some rest, my sister.” Crimson presented the food Fluttershy made for her.

“What’s this?”

“Ms. Fluttershy asked me to give this to you.”

“Who is that?”

“The pegasus who treated your wounds.”

“The yellow coat and pink hair?”

Crimson nodded.

“I don’t understand this world. First she tries to kill me, now she wants to save me?”

“As I said, this is a much different world than what we were used to. Now eat and get some rest. We can talk when you have recovered.” He turned and started to walk to the lower levels.

Author's Note:

Edit: 10/18/2017, quick read through and tense corrections.

PreviousChapters Next