• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 767 Views, 38 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 2 - BluePhoenyx



A continuation of the story of Crimson Thull and his life on the surface.

  • ...
3
 38
 767

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4 - Crimson and the Reoccurring Nightmare

All was dark but the six lights in the sky. The six lights, once bright and brilliant, were now dim and dark, as if they were tainted. The flames rose up from the distance, then the yellow eyed shadow figure formed from the smoke. The yellow eyed figure looked at her. “Tell me, girl. How long do you think you can hide?”

The red eyed figure morphed from the smoke next to the yellow eyed figure. “Enough of this. Find her, now!”

Her heart dropped in fear as she fell in the shadows below.

* * *

Crimson snapped awake at the scream of a little girl. He sat up only to feel stabbing pain in his torso. He grabbed the pain to protect the wound as he tried to look around. Though his vision was blurry, he realized he can only see through one eye. He could barely make out the shape of a bed, a table, and the silhouette of a door. He heared the trotting of hooves over some sort of hard ground. Crimson coughed and hacked up some form of liquid. The salt water in his lungs spilled out of his lips and on his chest, then he laid back down on the comfortable surface he found himself on.

In the distance, he heard a faint voice of a female. “Another nightmare? ... My poor baby. You want me to get you some water? … Okay, sit tight.” He heard more hoof steps over the hard surface, then it went back to where it was. “Here you go. … You okay now? … Good. Try to go back to sleep.” After the hooves stopped, the dark room remained quiet. Exhausted and in pain, Crimson’s eyes grew heavy, and he passed out.

* * *

Crimson slowly opened his eye at the sound of talking in the other room. Feeling that he can better handle the pain, he rolled over and tried to stand on his own hooves. He squinted, but he stood. Slowly, he limped to the door and turned the nob. He saw a robed pony sitting at a table sifting through a large bag. Sitting at the table was a mare looking distressed.

The robed pony grabbed a book from the bag and started to look through it. “Scary dreams your daughter has. I’ll need to stay a while to find the cause.” She remarked in a deeper tone and with a strange accent.

The mare nodded. “Yes, of course. Please stay for as long as you need.”

“What time does your daughter wake up? I’d like to talk to her to discover this hump.”

The mare thought for a moment. “The sun is rising so she’ll be up soon. In fact, would you like some breakfast?”

“Ah, breakfast sounds quite good. It will be nice to again have real food.”

The mare stood and walked toward the kitchen as the cloaked pony removed the hood.

“What the…?” Crimson looked upon a strange colored mutation of a pony. “Stripes?”

The stripped pony turned to noticed the dark red coat pony at a doorway. She looked slightly to the mare in the kitchen. “Your guest is awake it seems. How about I tend to his needs?”

“That’ll be great, Zecora.”

The stripped pony stood up and started walk over to Crimson. Crimson took a step back, but lightly staggered. “Do not be afraid, herbs and healing are my trade.” Crimson took another step back and sat on the bed. Zecora walked to the door and looked at the injured pony over from a distance. “My do you seem strange. Would you prefer I keep my range?”

Crimson stared at the stripped pony. “You think I am strange?”

Zecora’s eyes widened. “I didn’t mean to offend. But help I offer to lend.”

“Help?” Crimson lightly winced at a sharp pain. He looked back at the robed pony, who was still standing at the door. “Why do you speak like that?” Crimson curled and held his chest as he felt a sharp pain shoot all throughout his body.

Zecora rushed and gently caught him. “You need to lay down and rest. It’ll be a while before you’re at your best.”

Crimson tried to sit up. “I have sustained worse.”

Zecora pressed against Crimson, preventing him from getting up. “Just because you said you’ve have had worse doesn’t mean you don’t need a nurse.”

Crimson paused and looked up at the stripped pony. “Very well.” He laid back down to rest.

“If you need anything, don’t be afraid to call. I will be here for a while after all.” Zecora turned and left the room.

* * *

A little later, Crimson heard the gentle clanking of glass and crystal as the house filled with a strange yet pleasant scent. He lifted his hoof and rubbed the bandage on his eye. He started to unwind it, then he turned his head at a young colt entering the room. “My… My mom said to give this to you.” He put a plate of food down next to the injured pony. The colt took a few steps back in horror as Crimson slowly sat up. He stopped in the middle of his movement and looked at the scared colt.

Crimson lightly lifted a hoof. “Be not afraid. I mean you no harm.” The colt eased up a bit then Crimson slowly continued to sit up. Crimson held his chest while he looked down at the plate of food. “Your mother is most generous.” The colt turned and ran off. Crimson lightly grunted as he leaned over to pick up the offering. Slowly, he started to eat.

Just outside the room, he heard a door open and a young filly's footsteps walk out of the neighboring room. “Mommy, who is that?”

“Zecora, she’s awake.” The mother said.

The stripped pony started to speak in her accent. “Young filly, good morning to you. As your mother said, you’re awake on queue.”

Crimson heard the room go silent for many heartbeats. Crimson couldn’t help but to slightly smile at the reaction of the little girl.

“Honey, this is Zecora. She’s here to help you with your nightmares.” The mother said.

The filly sounded hesitant at first, but he eventually heard her walk toward the table.

“Please, sit, relax, and enjoy your breakfast. Then maybe you can get some help at last."

* * *

The next half hour was void of talking. Crimson heard the colt leave the house, and heard him running around outside in the distance. Aside from that, only the sounds of clanking glass was heard. Finally, that streak was broken by the striped pony. “Tell me, young filly, of your strange and scary woes. From there, we’ll see how it goes.”

A brief pause in talking before he heard the young filly answer. “M-my nightmares are getting worse.”

“Tell me about your dreams. Your mother said you wake up in screams.”

“Why do you talk like that?” The filly asked.

“Hush!” The mother hissed, embarrassed. “Don’t be rude to our guest.”

“It’s okay. I don’t mind. I have always spoken in rhyme. Please, my dear, continue with your tale. From there, we’ll see what I can unveil.”

“O-okay.” The filly replied nervously. “The dreams are always closeness to each other.”

“Tell me, child. When was the first nightmare? When was the first time this woe was yours to bare?”

“Umm…” It was apparent that the filly didn’t know exactly.

The mother stepped in. “When she turned five.”

Crimson’s eyes popped as he took a deep breath. He slowly stood up and walked to the door to better listen in.

“Go on, baby.” The mother bade. “Tell her about your dreams.”

Crimson stood in the doorway, seeing the small family and the stripped pony sitting at a circular table with plates of food in front of them. Next to Zecora was a large saddle bag with many different items inside. His eyes locked on the filly as she continued. “Dark. Scary pony. Fire.” She started to tear up in fear. Her mother hugged her to reassure her safety.

“Don’t be afraid, child. There is no shame.” Zecora, looking through a book, flipped a page over. “But you said your dreams are always the same..?”

The young filly sniffled. “K-Kind of.”

“I don’t see what you said in my Tome of Dreams. It’s hard to say what this all means.”

Crimson stared at the young filly. “She is gifted with sight.”

Everyone looked surprised over at the badly injured red coated guest. “What do you mean, ‘sight’?” The mother asked.

“You are a medium of sight.” Crimson limped to the table. The mother and daughter recoiled at Crimson’s presence. He slowly and carefully sat down and looked at Zecora.

Zecona looked at the little girl, then at the injured stranger. “Strange one, what do you mean ‘medium of sight’? I have never heard of such or of this blight.”

Crimson lightly cringed in pain, but held it together. “Please continue with your tale. What else do you see?”

The young filly looked scared at Crimson, then up to her mother. She held her comfortingly. “It’s okay, dear. You can tell him.”

She looked back at the scary pony. “I dream eyes and stars and fire. There is always an evil pony who laughs at me and hurts me.”

Crimson looked concerned at the young girl. “I do not know the details, but I can tell you this - your daughter is in danger.”

“What?” The mother stood up and hid her daughter behind her. “How dare you!?”

Zecora lifted a hoof to ease everyone’s attitude. “Please, every pony, please enhance your calm. This is your first conversation with this stranger this dawn.” The mother and daughter remained standing while looking cautiously at Crimson. Zecora looked to the injured stranger with curiosity. “Tell me, strange one, with your strange acclaim. I have never heard of this ‘gift’ you claim.”

Crimson looked at Zecora, then to the little girl hiding behind her mother. “Your daughter has the gift of sight, and the curse of sight. She shall never be alone. Your spirit is connected through transcendence that I personally cannot comprehend.”

The mare and filly looked scared at Crimson while Zecora looked with keen interest. “A very interesting tale you tell, but perhaps this is an evil spell?”

“Perhaps.” Crimson looked at the mother mare. “However, I bet her first ‘nightmare’ happened within one week after her fifth year cycle.” The mother slightly nodded her head. Crimson looked down at the little girl. “And your ‘nightmares’ seem so real - more real than your previous nightmares.” The little girl cowered behind her mother. “The dreams are always similar to one another. Sometimes, the next dream continues the story your previous dreams held.” The little girl, in tears, slowly nodded. “And you said you always wake up with someone or something trying to hurt you?” Again, the filly nodded. Crimson looked at the mother. “As I said, your daughter is in grave danger.”

The mother looked angrily at Crimson. “Stop it! How can you say that?”

“As far as I can gather, another seer seeks her out. For what, I do not know.”

“Very interesting.” Zecora wrote notes on a blank page in the book. “But you never explained on how this information you’ve obtained.”

Crimson looked away at the ground.

The mother gestured to the filly’s room. “Go in your room, baby. I need to speak with the stranger you found.”

Crimson turned his head at the filly as the little girl nodded. “Pardon, but you are responsible for my survival?”

The mother looked at Crimson. “Yes, she and her brother found you on the beach.”

“I am indebted to you.”

The mother stared at Crimson, then nudged the filly to her room. “Go on dear.” The filly went into her room and shut the door. The mare leaned in and stared Crimson in the eyes. “I don’t know who you are or what your game is, but I don’t appreciate you scaring my little girl like that.”

“I do not wish to be rude but-“

The mother cut off Crimson. “But nothing! She saved your life and this is how you repay her?!”

Crimson looked at the mare. “By my honor, I shall protect her until my life debt is repaid.”

“You shall do no such thing!” The mare turned and started to pace in frustration.

The young colt slammed open the front door and ran in the house. “Mommy!”

The mare looked at her son, then at the silhouette that stood in the doorway. The colt ran to his mother and embraced her out of fear.

“You there!” An armored pegasus entered the house looking at Crimson. “You’re the one known as Crimson the Destroyer?”

The mare looked shocked at Crimson. “The Destroyer?!”

Crimson stood and turned around. “I go by no such title.”

“By order of Princess Celestia, you’re under arrest.” Solders started to enter the house and surround Crimson. Zecora, the mare, and the colt backed up against the wall out of the way of the armored guards.

“If Princess Celestia wishes my arrest, then I shall without incident.” Crimson surrendered himself and allowed himself to be shackled by the guards.

Zecora walked up to the leading officer. “Be careful for his wounds are grave indeed. Immediate medical attention is what he needs.”

The officer nodded and they escorted Crimson out of the house. As they walked out, Crimson stopped and turned his head toward the mother. “Be on your guard, madam. I do not know what is hunting your daughter, but heed my warning.”

A soldier prodded Crimson. “Stay quiet.” Crimson looked at the guard, then continued to walk with no more resistance.

The officer turned to the mare and colt. “I’m sorry for our intrusion and the inconvenience.” The officer left, closing the door behind him.

The mother looked to Zecora. “What was that all about?”

Zecora stared at the door. “That I do not know. It was, however, quite a show.” They stood quietly for a moment, then Zecora started to pack up his a few things.

The mare looked at Zecora. “You’re going already?”

“I must look into these turn of events. I must learn of that stranger’s intent.” Zecora put on the saddle bag and turned toward the mare. “I’ll leave you some sleeping elixers for your daughter. Until I figure out the truth, it’s best to closely watch her.”

The mare nodded and Zercoa left, closing the door behind her.

Author's Note:

Edit: 10/17/2017, quick read through, fixed tense issues

PreviousChapters Next