• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 1,631 Views, 43 Comments

Shades of Grey - Metaphor



Rarity has always been searching for love but a chance encounter with a certain mare makes her begin to wonder if she's been looking in all the wrong places.

  • ...
7
 43
 1,631

Chapter 4

The next day dawned and once again Rarity and Octavia were on the move. With a full breakfast of eggs, toast, muesli and copious amounts of coffee behind them they found themselves standing on the front veranda of Brass and Quill’s home. Octavia looked mournful to be leaving so soon but behind it determination flickered like a spark waiting to become an inferno.

“And please visit more often,” continued Brass as she and Octavia exchanged embraces, “It has been so marvelous to see you again.”

“I will Brass, I promise,” replied Octavia, “And thank you for everything.”

“It’s what friends do…and I’m sorry I couldn’t be more help.”

“Don’t apologise Brass, just focus on getting better again. I’ll take care of the rest.”

Brass gave a small nod as the two broke their embrace. Rarity stepped in and raised a hoof in Brass’ direction.

“Thank you for the hospitality darling, it was lovely getting to know.”

Brass looked at the extended hoof and smiled. Stepping forwards slowly she placed a hoof around Rarity’s neck.

“No, thank you my dear for helping Octavia,” she said as she leaned in closer and lowered her voice to a whisper, “And don’t forget our promise.”

“Have no fear darling, that is one promise I shall not be breaking.”

As the two pulled back Quill jumped in, throwing a hoof around both Rarity and Octavia.

“Super nice to meet both of you, do come again!”

“We will Quill, thank you for your kindness,” replied Octavia with a small chuckle.

“Aww shucks!”

Before long Rarity and Octavia were heading down the garden path away from the house. Brass and Quill still stood on the veranda waving to them and Octavia couldn’t help but stop every few paces and turn to wave back at them but as they vanished round the corner of a building she stopped dead in her tracks. She sighed heavily and for a moment a flicker of despair crossed her face. Rarity stood silently next to her.

“I’m alright,” said Octavia after a moment, seemingly feeling Rarity’s gaze on her, “Just…thinking.”

“I understand darling,” replied Rarity, “But we do have to keep moving or we’ll miss our train to Baltimare.”

Octavia nodded slowly and then set off again. It wasn’t until they had arrived at the station, boarded their train and found their seats that Octavia spoke again. As the train pulled away from the station she held the postcard that Brass had given her in her hoof. On the front was a very tourist looking night scene of Baltimare but it was the back that held her attention. The message was brief due to the size of the card but it was enough.

“Dear Beauty Brass, writing to you to let you know of a change in my circumstances. I’ve finally

got a spot at the Black Tie Club, it’s not much but it’s enough. The offer still stands if you want

to visit, would be great to see a friendly face. Yours Parish.”

“A friendly face,” read Octavia, “I hope he still doesn’t think badly of me.”

“I’m sure it will be fine darling, don’t start worrying before we even get there. Besides you’ve got me along to help you out,” replied Rarity as she looked up from a street map of Baltimare that she’d purchased.

“That’s true.”

“Now then, how about we order a pot of tea and enjoy the trip? I hear the scenery on the way to Baltimare is simply stunning.”

Rarity hadn’t been lying when she had said the trip to Baltimare was stunning. Vanhoofer and Baltimare sat on opposite sides of the Equestrian continent and the train ride took them through the heartlands of the country. Endless fields of crops and flowers greeted their gaze interrupted now and then by an isolated copse or small village. There was only one stop during the trip, that being at Dodge Junction where the train was split so it could head in two directions at once.

As the new engine was being coupled to their train Rarity took a moment to stretch her legs on the platform. She remembered the town well and a part of her wished they had time to call in on Cherry Jubilee. The cherry farm pony had been very understanding of Applejack’s situation…or so she had heard. Rarity herself hadn’t seen the end of the chase after being knocked from the cart by a flying Pinkie Pie. She could still hear the insane babble rattling through her head as she recalled the trip back to Ponyville with her.

Still this wasn’t time to dwell on past events, it was a time to look forwards and focus on the task at hand. Boarding the train once again she settled down for the second leg of their journey to Baltimare. Octavia remained fairly quiet throughout the whole trip no doubt thinking about what she was going to say when she met Parish. She did wonder what he was going to be like. From what Octavia and Brass had told her he seemed to be a fairly quiet pony with a level head and a dislike of frivolities. Rarity hoped there was more to him than this.

By the time they reached Baltimare the afternoon was waning fast. Night was yet to fall but the sun was hanging low in the sky casting large shadows around the urban metropolis of the town. Thanks to her earlier studying of the map Rarity knew where they were going but the journey still took them a short while and they still made a few wrong turns before they found the establishment they were looking for.

The building and its exterior décor announced its class with ease. Like much of Baltimare the building was made of red brick and extended high into the sky above them. The upper floors were apartments each window holding a small balcony and each balcony adorned with a window box filled with trailing flowers that hung down towards the floor below it. The ground floor held a grand looking entrance, obviously a reception space for the apartments above it. Through the clear glass frontage Rarity could see the reception desk and the pony that worked behind it. The walls were decorated in a sleek looking two toned brown wallpaper and twinkling crystal lights hung everywhere.

Away to one side of the reception was another entrance. A set of wide stairs led down to a set of double doors. A long red carpet stretched down the stairs to the door and a canopy above shielded the entrance from any weather conditions that may be present. Above the canopy hung a sign that read ‘The Black Tie Gentlecolts Club”. Patting Octavia on the back Rarity set off towards the entrance. As they approached the bouncer pony at the top of the stairs turned his attention towards them.

“Sorry ladies,” he said as he gave a small bow of his head, “I’m afraid the establishment doesn’t open for another hour yet.”

“That’s quite alright darling, we were actually hoping to speak to a friend of ours who works here, Parish Nandermane.”

“He never mentioned anyone,” replied the bouncer as he gave them an inquisitive look.

“No well, we’re stopping by slightly unannounced. Would you be able to let him know we’re here?”

The bouncer pony thought for a moment and then shrugged slightly, “Can’t hurt, who shall I tell him it is?”

“My name is Rarity and this is my companion Octavia Melody.”

“Wait here.”

With that the bouncer descended the stairs and headed inside. Octavia couldn’t stop fidgeting, Rarity counting at least nineteen occasions that she adjusted her bowtie. When the bouncer returned she was starting to sweat.

“Well he says he’ll see you but only for a little, once the club open he’ll be playing and doesn’t want any interruptions.”

“Perfectly understandable,” replied Rarity as she stepped forwards, “Come along darling, we don’t want to keep him waiting any longer than necessary.”

Octavia wasn’t so quick to jump into action but followed Rarity all the same. They descended the stairs and pushed the door open. Inside the lighting was very subdued and a smell of tobacco smoke drifted on the air. To one side of the room sat a long bar with a black marble top. Behind it a bartender was busy checking the various spirits and wines that were stacked up on the shelf. The main area of the room was filled with small sets of tables and chairs intermixed with separating wicker screens and large ferns. Away to one side sat a door with a sign above it saying ‘Smoking Lounge’ and next to the door sat a low set stage. Octavia was currently looking at the stage, more exactly she was staring at the large gold plated harp that was occupying the centre of the stage.

“So it’s really you Octavia,” came a voice from their left.

Sat in a chair a few meters away, almost hidden in the shadows, was Parish. He looked tired and yet Rarity could see the faint glimmer of a smile on his face.

“Parish,” replied Octavia slowly, the pony unmoving as she looked back at him unsure of what to say.

“Well you might as well sit down,” continued Parish as he motioned towards two chairs at the table he was sat at.

Octavia didn’t move for a moment, drawing back slightly in hesitance, before finally stepping forward and taking a seat. Rarity did the same, sliding herself into a seat next to her friend. For a moment silence filled the air.

“Parish, I…” began Octavia.

“Why are you here Octavia?” interrupted Parish with a firm tone.

Octavia swallowed her words, clamming up like a young student in front of a teacher. Rarity could see her distress and decided to interject.

“That was a little rude don’t you think?” she said quickly with a slight frown.

Parish quickly raised a hoof towards her, his head snapping round to face her.

“I would appreciate it if you were quiet. I don’t know who you are and at this time I’m not interested in knowing. My question is for Octavia and I would appreciate it if you would let her answer them unaided,” he replied, his tone firm but courteous.

Rarity could tell he didn’t mean to be rude even if the statement sounded more like an order than a request. Even so she felt compelled to obey and slowly nodded in response.

“Thank you,” finished Parish as he turned back to Octavia, “Now Octavia, why are you here?”

Octavia didn’t respond although apparently not out of choice. Her jaw moved up and down but no words left her lips. Rarity could only sit and watch, it was actually quite horrifying and she could feel a sense of loathing creeping into her mind towards Parish. The harp player himself just sat in silence for a moment, watching Octavia struggle to get her words out before giving a sigh.

“Look Octavia, I don’t want to seem cruel. We’ve been friends for a long time but when I left for Baltimare you promised you wouldn’t call on me unless you had something important to say. I’ve done everything I can to try and separate myself from everything that happened in Canterlot and the last thing I need is ponies asking questions just as I start a new job. Now unless you have something important to say I have a performance to prepare for.”

As he made a move to stand up Octavia suddenly slammed her hoof down on one of his, pressing it firmly against the table top. For a moment the two ponies looked at each other as a flash of resolve passed over Octavia’s face.

“I do have something important to say Parish,” she began as she released his hoof, “and I need you to hear me out.”

Parish paused for a moment and then finally gave a small nod as he sat back down. Slowly Octavia began to recount the story of the last few days. Her terminal fall and meeting with Rarity, the trip to see Brass and ultimately the plan that she and Rarity had developed between them. After she was done Parish sat back in his chair and brought a hoof to his chin.

“Well now, I wasn’t expecting anything like that,” he said as he turned briefly to look at the bar, “Tumbler, get me a double of the usual.”

The light blue Pegasus pony behind the bar nodded and began preparing the requested drink.

“I know I’m asking a lot,” continued Octavia, “But I believe this could work…but I can’t do it alone.”

Parish gave a sigh, “Octavia look around you. I won’t say my life has been easy since I left Canterlot, in fact I’ve had to survive by taking whatever work I could find at first. But now…I have a new life. The work here is good, peaceful and well paid. I’ve finally been able to afford a new apartment. I have new work colleagues and ponies that respect me. You’re asking me to leave all of that and trust on a prayer that we can get back what we once had.”

Parish gave a long drawn out sigh, “I’m sorry I just can’t do that.”

Octavia looked like she was on the verge of tears. They had been threatening ever since she started retelling her story but now they were making a real appearance. Rarity quickly offered her a handkerchief, Octavia accepting and wiping her eyes as she gave a small sniff.

“Mr Nandermane,” spoke Rarity, finally deciding it was time for her to say something, “I understand what you say but won’t you reconsider?”

“Miss Rarity, don’t get me wrong,” replied Parish as he turned to look at her, “It’s nothing personal and after hearing about what Octavia has been going through I do feel for her. But in my current situation if I don’t do what I’m supposed to do here I will get fired. I had to fight hard to get this position and there is a long line of musicians waiting to take my place if I miss even one appearance. I just can’t.”

He turned to Octavia, reaching out to grab one of her hooves with his own, “Tavi, I know you blame yourself for what happened and I know you’re just trying to put it right…but it’s time to let go. Not everything that is broken can be fixed and you have to start making a new life for yourself.”

“I’m sorry Parish, I just can’t do that…” replied Octavia in a sullen voice.

Parish sighed and released her hoof, “So am I Octavia, so am I. Listen, why don’t you two stay a while and relax. I’m due on stage shortly so I best go and get myself ready.”

It was at this point that Tumbler, the pony from behind the bar, approached with a drink resting on a tray. Parish quickly swiped the drink from the tray, Rarity only getting a moment to observe the light brown liquid inside the glass before Parish had downed it in a single gulp. He drew a breath and then sigh as he placed the glass back on the tray.

“Tumbler get these two mares a drink would you, put it on my tab,” he said as he turned away and headed towards the stage.

“Sure thing Parish,” replied the pony as he looked at Octavia and Rarity, “What can I get for you both?”

Rarity couldn’t find an answer at first, she was too busy watching the expression on Octavia’s face sinking through the foundations of the building.

“Ah…what would you recommend?” she asked after a moment as she gave Tumbler the best smile she could muster.

“Hmm, well the Baltimare Sunrise is proving popular with the mares at the moment. Don’t want to boast but I probably make the best ones in town.”

“Sounds good,” murmured Octavia, her voice both depressed and hopeless.

“Yes, why not dear,” added Rarity as she turned her attention back to Octavia.

“Coming right up, oh and miss. I don’t want to intrude on private business but don’t feel upset at Parish turning you down. He’s had quite a few mares asking him that question recently and I think he just wants to be alone for now.”

“Oh um…yes…of course…” replied Octavia as she gave the best embarrassed giggle she could.

Tumbler smiled slightly and then departed back towards the bar leaving the two mares alone once again. Octavia tried to let her vision wander across the room but each time she did they could only stare at one thing. On the stage Parish was busy tuning his instrument. Seated on a small stool next to the large harp he gently plucked each string in turn, listening as the note rung out and occasionally tightening or loosening a string.

“I don’t know what I was hoping for,” mused Octavia quietly, “Parish has never been a pony to take risks. He’s always wanted a steady life, that’s why our ensemble suited him so well. Nothing ever seemed to threaten it…until everything happened.”

“I’m sorry Octavia,” replied Rarity, the unicorn not really know what else to say.

“It may have been different if Brass was here, those two always had a better chemistry than I did with Parish…but even then I don’t think he would have agreed.”

Rarity sighed slightly, “Don’t lose faith darling, whenever a door closes another one opens.”

Octavia nodded slowly but didn’t seem overly convinced. It was then that Tumbler returned, the pony carrying a new tray with two drinks perched on it. The drinks were long cocktails and Tumbler had not been exaggerating when he said he did them well. They looked like a pair of flames in a glass, the liquid starting red at the bottom and then fading to orange with streaks of yellow swirled through it. Rarity had to admire the craftsmanship even if normally she wasn’t one to drink too much.

“There you are ladies, I hope you enjoy,” announced Tumbler as he placed the two drinks down on the table top.

Octavia didn’t reply, seemingly content to stare at the contents of the glass for a moment before taking hold of it and taking a brief sip. What happened next left both Tumbler and Rarity in shock as Octavia upended the glass and drunk the entire thing without stopping.

“Another,” she said quietly as she placed the glass down and wiped her lips with her hoof.

Tumbler just blinked and Rarity quickly looked over at him in urgency.

“Perhaps you better let me handle this deary, hold that order for now.”

Tumbler nodded as he walked off, occasionally giving a glance back over his shoulder with a half dazed look. Rarity meanwhile reached forwards and grabbed Octavia’s hooves.

“Darling don’t do this, nothing good will come of drowning your sorrows.”

“Does it matter?” asked Octavia, “Don’t you see what’s happening? It’s all been pointless! All the struggles and problems I’ve dealt with since the ensemble split up…it’s all been for naught! I thought that I could change it all if I kept going, that I could correct all the mistake that have happened. And yet…”

Without warning Octavia quickly snatched the drink that had been sat in front of Rarity and started drinking. By the time Rarity snapped herself out of her shock and raised a hoof to lower the glass the contents was already sliding down Octavia’s throat.

“And yet here we are,” continued Octavia, the mare barely pausing the breath as she carried on, “Brass can’t help me, Parish doesn’t care anymore and…hahah, the only other pony who may help me if Frederick…who the last time I saw said he never wanted to see me again.”

Octavia giggled slightly and then started laughing. As she did tears began to form in her eyes.

“I’m being punished, I’m still being punished for my mistakes. That’s what it is.”

“Darling don’t say such things, there is always another way, there is always hope,” replied Rarity as she tried to get the mare to focus.

“I ran out of hope a long time ago, I have nothing left…nothing.”

Octavia’s tear began afresh, her earlier laughing descending into mangled sobs as she lowered her head to the table and began to weep into her hooves. Rarity was glad they were seated in an isolated corner of the establishment, even if it wasn’t yet open she didn’t want the staff casting judgement or comment. She got up from her seat, moving around the table so that she was beside the weeping mare, and placed a hoof round her shoulders. Quietly she began to coo gentle reassurances and brush a hoof through her mane like she had done for Sweetie Belle on numerous occasions. Before long Octavia’s sobs had quietened and not soon after that all that was left was the quiet whistle of her breath as it flowed in and out.

Content that Octavia was safe for the moment Rarity removed her hoof and stepped back. Octavia didn’t move; the mare now fast asleep. With a small nod to herself Rarity turned and headed towards the bar. As she approached she couldn’t help but notice that Tumbler flicked his gaze away from table she had been sat at.

“Keeping an eye on us I see?” commented Rarity as she sat herself down at the bar.

“Uh well, just keeping tabs,” replied Tumbler as he busied himself by cleaning some glasses, “Your friend just looked really upset about being turned down.”

“Oh it’s a little more complicated than that deary but it would take too long to explain all the details to you…and I don’t think she’d appreciate it either. I do hate to ask but is there a small room available where my companion could rest a little?”

“Hmm…well normally we don’t allow such things but let me double check with Parish.”

Tumbler rounded the bar and approached the stage. Rarity watched as he conversed with Parish for a moment, the earth pony casting a few glances towards the table where Octavia was resting as they spoke. When Tumbler returned he was wearing a small smile.

“Seems you’re in luck, Parish says she can rest in his break room for a while, do you need any help carrying her?”

“No that should be fine dear, but if you could show me the way.”

Tumbler did just that. As Rarity used her magic to hoist the sleeping Octavia into the air the bar pony showed her through a door that said ‘staff only’ on it and along a corridor. Opening a door Rarity found a small room with a desk and chair as well as a small, yet adequate, fold down bed. Laying Octavia on it and covering her with a blanket the pair returned to the main part of the bar. It seemed that the establishment had just opened and a selection of rich, or at least well connected, ponies were starting to file into the room.

Rarity returned to her seat at the bar and started to think about what was going to happen next. She had always hoped it would go better than this but it seemed that luck just wasn’t with them this time. Her plans to hold a comeback concert for the whole ensemble lay in ruins and even if Frederick agreed to partake, which she highly doubted, it still wouldn’t be enough. She sighed heavily.

“Sounds like this problem is affecting you too,” added Tumbler as he glanced briefly behind him as he prepared a drink.

“I suppose it does darling,” replied Rarity as she looked across the bar.

“How about a drink on the house to help you relax?” offered the bar pony.

“Charming as that is deary I have to refuse, somepony has to be sober to make sure Octavia is alright. However, I would like a soda water with lemon if you would.”

“My pleasure. Oh uh…don’t suppose there would be a chance of us meeting up tomorrow when I’m not working would there?”

Rarity couldn’t help but smile, “I’m afraid not sweetie, I’ll be moving onto Manehatten in the morning. I do hope you understand.”

“No problems ma’am, I just couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t try. You’re a fine mare ma’am. If there’s anything else I can do for you please let me know.”

Soon enough Rarity was absently sipping her requested drink as she watched the comings and goings of the bar around her. Parish was about to start playing, several of the ponies in the room watching the stage as he readied himself. You could tell he was professional from the way he held himself and the air of confidence that surrounded him. As his hooves plucked the first string the bar went silent. Rarity found herself lost in the melody, the notes touching all manner of emotions deep in her mind. Unlike Octavia Parish played with his eyes open, his gaze focused intently on the strings of his instrument as if trying to burn ever last detail of the string into his mind.

As he had finished his first song the room erupted into a round of applause and Parish took a small bow before stepping down. Rarity watched as he scanned the room and then headed towards the bar. Rarity caught him glancing at her a few times as he approached the musician finally stopping next to the bar near where she was sat.

“Tumbler get me some water if you would,” he said quickly before turning to look at Rarity, “I take it Octavia is still sleeping.”

“I believe so yes,” commented Rarity, “I think it’s safe to say that she will have quite a hangover in the morning.”

“Most likely, two Baltimare Sunrises is quite a considerable amount of alcohol…and Octavia never was a drinker.”

Parish settled himself into a seat as Tumbler offered him a glass of water. For a moment neither pony said anything but ultimately Parish broke the silence.

“So what are you going to do next?”

“Well we have passage booked on the night train to Manehatten so I plan on letting Octavia rest a little more then I’ll see about getting us both to the station.”

“Manehatten huh? I take it you’re going to see Frederick?”

“Yes we are.”

Parish was silent for a moment, “I would wish you good luck but I think you’ll need more than luck when you see him. When Frederick left the group he wasn’t exactly shy about telling us all what he thought. If I recall correctly he called Octavia a whore and said he never wanted to see her again…”

Rarity didn’t reply as she took another sip of her drink.

“I’m sorry for what I had to say earlier but in truth Octavia does need to move on. It’s been a year since the group started to break up and it’s not healthy for her to be clinging to the past like this.”

Rarity looked around sharply, a slight glare settling on her face, “The truth darling is that I feel sorry for you. You’ve lost all hope and whilst you’ve started a new life you don’t exactly look completely happy. Octavia has done nothing but sacrifice everything she had in an attempt to fix something that she perceives to be only her fault. I may not have known her very long but it takes incredible strength to go through all that without going completely insane and I don’t intend on abandoning her now. Even if it means I have to sacrifice everything that I have I will not rest until I see that mare smile again.”

Rarity quickly finished her drink and jumped from her seat. She gave another glare at Parish, the musician pony not able to speak.

“Now if you’ll excuse me I have a friend to take care of and a train to catch.”