• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 1,631 Views, 43 Comments

Shades of Grey - Metaphor



Rarity has always been searching for love but a chance encounter with a certain mare makes her begin to wonder if she's been looking in all the wrong places.

  • ...
7
 43
 1,631

Chapter 3

“Do you really think this is all going to work?” asked Octavia slowly as they disembarked from the train.

“Relax darling or you’re going to strain something,” replied Rarity as she gave the mare a soft pat on the shoulder.

“I am relaxed…well…maybe not entirely relaxed.”

Rarity gave a soft chuckle and lowered her hoof. Octavia had asked the same question no less than six times during their trip and those had been the occasions when she had actually noticed the question. Truth be told Rarity herself was a little unsure on how exactly this was all going to work out but right now it was the best idea she could think of.

As the train pulled away from the station the pair found themselves standing in front of the main station building of Vanhoofer. Fortunately for them it wasn’t snowing but an earlier storm had left the streets piled high with powered whiteness. Young fillies and colts raced back and forth each one hurling snowballs at their companions as they played. Despite its somewhat remote position when compared to the other cities of Equestria, Vanhoofer was still a bustling city filled with life and energy.

“Now then, where is that map?” questioned Rarity as she started poking around in her saddlebag with her magic.

A moment later she had drawn out and unfolded a large map of the city. As she studied it she began to wish Twilight was there to help her, such things were not normally her strong points. Octavia however was also studying the map, finally placing her hoof down on a spot on the paper.

“Here, Cedar Gallop, that’s the street we want, number four hundred and nineteen.”

Rarity gave a nod as she quickly traced a route across the map and tried to memorise it. She then folded the map but kept it hovering nearby in case she needed it again. Together the pair set off through the streets. Soon they had left the station behind and the sounds of the playing youngsters faded into silence. Vanhoofer was a new city and the architecture showed it, each building crafted lovingly out of beautifully formed bricks and treated timbers. It was a big change from the rustic charm of Ponyville or the ancient extravagance of Canterlot. In a way it almost seemed too sterile, lifeless perhaps.

Neither pony spoke as they turned down one street and then the next, pausing occasionally to allow Rarity to read the map. Soon enough though they were slowly making their way down Cedar Gallop, counting off houses one by one until they reached their destination. The house in question only had a single floor and what appeared to be an attic room. It was constructed entirely of wood and painted a light green. Outside was a small veranda shaded by an overhang of the roof above it.

Octavia swallowed hard, throughout the entire journey she had done everything she could to distract herself from this moment but now that it was finally here she couldn’t do anything to stop it. She could feel her legs shaking slightly, her mind telling her to flee and never look back. She wasn’t nervous, she was terrified. Despite the letters that Beauty and herself had exchanged over the last year the guilt that resided in her soul wouldn’t loosen its grip on her.

Rarity slowly gave the mare a reassuring pat on her shoulder and then ushered her forwards. Together they walked up the short path and onto the veranda. With a quick look at Octavia, Rarity raised a hoof and knocked firmly on the door. For a moment there was nothing and then there was a scuffle followed by a sudden bang and the fluttering of paper. Rarity and Octavia both looked at each other with confusion as they tried to work out what was happening on the other side of the door. Before they could say anything to each other though the door opened wide to reveal a mint coloured earth pony with a deep green mane.

At first glance you would wonder what on Equestria she had been doing. Black ink splotches covered her coat and mane, including one right in the centre of her face. She looked a little dizzy as though something had fallen on her head but the expression quickly faded from her face to be replaced by a beaming smile.

“Hello hello! What can I do for you?!” she squeaked enthusiastically.

Rarity looked at Octavia and nodded at her, Octavia taking a moment to breathe before she replied.

“Ah, is Beauty Brass at home…?” she asked slowly.

“Brass? Oh yeah she is, um, who are you?”

“I’m…Octavia…”

“Octa…oooooooh.”

The pony withdrew ever so slightly and cast the grey mare a glance from head to hoof. Octavia could feel herself getting more and more uncomfortable by the moment.

“So you’re the mare Brass has been writing to?” asked the pony after a moment, “Always wondered what you were really like. She’s told me some really great things about you. Um! Oh yeah! Do come in! We weren’t expecting anypony so the place is a bit of a mess. Watch out for the paper stacks! I have them all ordered just how I like them.”

The pony flung the door open to reveal the entrance hall behind her. Stacked up in boxes and loose in piles all over the place were reams and reams of paper and writing supplies. Rarity had to blink, if it had been a little tidier she would have been convinced that Twilight had been living here. She quickly snapped herself out of her thoughts though and ushered Octavia forwards into the house. The mint green pony continued to talk, getting more and more excited by the moment.

“So where did you travel from? Brass never mentioned anything about you visiting in the last letter she got from you! Oh watch out for that box! Um! Oh yeah! My name is Eccentric Quill, I’m Brass’ sister! Nice to meet both of you! Uh! Who are you?”

Her last question was directed at Rarity, the unicorn herself giving a short bow of her head before she replied.

“I’m Rarity, we traveled here together from Canterlot.”

“Canterlot! Oooooooooh, jealousy levels rising! Nah I’m just kidding, still I’d love to visit that place someday. Maybe when I get the next royalty cheque from my books. Oh yeah! That’s what all the boxes and paper is, I tend to write a lot and sometimes it doesn’t make much sense so I just store it in case I need it later.”

Rarity cast a glance around the hallway, it certainly seemed like that was the case.

“Oh, but you’re here to see Brass aren’t you! Come on she’s in here, uh, but don’t be too loud ok. She caught a chill the other day coming back from work and its messing with her head.”

Concern spread across Octavia’s face following Quill’s words, the earth pony quickly following her fellow pony into the next room. Rarity followed close behind them, turning to the left into the next room. Had it not been for the even more numerous boxes of paper stacked around the room the living area would have been a nice environment. A simple log fire sat on one wall. A number of large display cabinets occupied another wall, each one filled with small trophies and awards in the shape of instruments or writing tools. A number of large padded chairs sat in the centre of the room along with a large sofa.

On one of the chairs, her rear hooves immersed in a bucket of steaming water, sat Beauty Brass. She looked almost asleep, her head hanging low and a set of deep black shadows resting under her eyes. On her lap sat a large box of tissues and her shoulders were covered in a large blanket. As the trio entered the room she looked up, her eyes trying hard to focus before going wide in amazement.

“Oc…Octavia?! Is that you?” she asked cautiously, as if fearing she was seeing an illusion.

“Yes Brass, it’s me,” replied Octavia as she stepped forwards slightly.

Beauty Brass gave a small cough and then heaved herself from her chair, landing on her front hooves with her rear ones still in the tub of water. She swayed slightly on her feet, almost looking like she was about to fall over.

“Brass!” cried Octavia as she darted forwards to steady her friend, “Are you alright?”

“Eh heh, never better…now that you’re here,” replied the earth pony as she smiled weakly at her friend.

Octavia quickly helped settle Brass back into her seat and then settled herself into a chair next to her. Rarity also found herself a seat across from the pair as Quill left the room in search of drinks. For a moment nopony said anything, seemingly both Octavia and Brass too shocked to initiate any form of conversation.

“Brass…” murmured Octavia at length, “What happened?”

“You mean….this?” she replied motioning to herself, “I was late leaving the café one evening and got caught in the weekly blizzard the weather team have to maintain at this time of year. Thought I was alright at first but…I guess not.”

“Oh Brass…I’m so sorry.”

“Sorry? Why are you sorry? It wasn’t your fault.”

“But if it hadn’t been for me we would all still be in Canterlot and…”

“You’re still beating yourself up over that? Tavi, you have to stop. We’re all upset about what happened but living in guilt isn’t healthy.”

Octavia gave a small sigh, “I’m sorry Brass, I just can’t help it.”

“You never could. You always act so hardnosed and unemotional but you really are such a sensitive mare under it all.”

Rarity listened quietly, well aware that this was a time for the two friends to bond again. Octavia had filled her ear with stories about Beauty Brass during their train ride. At the time she had thought it was nothing more than Octavia trying to distract herself but now she found herself musing on them a little. Beauty Brass sounded like quite the character, always cheerful and smiling with a positive outlook and a glowing smile. Well that would have been the case if not for her current situation. She wondered if she was similar to her sister, Quill reminding her very much of Pinkie Pie on one of her less than full energy days.

“Alright everypony!” came a call as the pony in question slid into the room balancing a tray on her back, “I got hot chocolate for everyone, hope you all like it because…well…we ain’t got nothing else!”

Rarity found herself smirking slightly at the statement, take it or leave it. Rarity quickly plucked the tray from the pony’s back with her magic and levitated a cup over to herself before moving the tray towards Octavia and Brass. As she did Brass’ vision shifted to look at the unicorn.

“And who are you?” she asked quizzically.

“I’m Rarity, I like to consider myself a friend of Octavia but we did only just meet two days ago.”

“Are you from Canterlot? You are certainly very well spoken.”

“Well, not exactly…but I do spend a lot of time in Canterlot giving fashion shows and such like.”

Brass gave a small nod and turned back to Octavia, “So why are you here? You never mentioned visiting in your last letter.”

“Well…a lot has happened since you left Brass as I’m sure you know from my letters. I’ve hit rock bottom and it was only with Rarity’s help that I avoided falling into the deepest pits of Tartarus itself. She has offered to help me…help us…regain what we’ve lost in Canterlot.”

Brass looked across at Rarity with a cautious stare. Rarity met it, long ago learning that to blink was to reveal a weakness and that one should confront everything head on, a lesson she had learned from her friend Rainbow Dash.

“Are you serious?” asked Brass.

“Very serious darling,” replied Rarity, “I heard Octavia play at the Royal Concert Hall a few evenings ago and after learning of her plight I decided that I couldn’t sit back and do nothing.”

“I’m amazed that some pony still cares about our music,” commented Brass sadly, “I still can’t believe everything that has happened.”

“We’re going to make it better Brass, I’m going to fix everything!” interrupted Octavia, “this is our chance, maybe our last one, but I’m going to need your help. Will you help?”

Brass let out a sigh, “Nothing would make me happier but…look at me. I’ve been like this for three days now and it’s not showing signs of improving. The doctors said I could be off my feet for several weeks. I can’t even breathe properly, never mind play an instrument right now.”

Rarity watched as the building hope in Octavia’s expression crashed to the floor and shattered like a pane of glass. She closed her eyes slowly and sighed. This isn’t what she had wanted. Having spoken to Octavia at length about her former companions Beauty had seemed like the logical place to start. The two still wrote to each other and were close friends; if any of them was going to be willing to help her then it was going to be Brass. And yet it seemed fate had drawn the perfect play this time. The fashion show Rarity had been organising was set for five days time. There was no way she could change it at such short notice and unless there was a miracle Brass didn’t look like she’d be ready to perform within that time frame.

“I…I see…” murmured Octavia with a small sigh.

“I’m sorry Tavi, I really am,” replied Brass, “You know I would help you if I could.”

“I know Brass I…”

Octavia stopped and dropped her head. Even from where Rarity was sitting she could tell the mare was struggling to hold back a fresh set of tears. The grey mare blinked hard and looked back at Brass.

“Do…do you have somewhere that I could lie down for a little? I don’t mean to impose but…I need to clear my head.”

“Of course, don’t worry about it Tavi. Quill, could you show Tavi to my room, she can rest there for a little.”

“Sure thing!” chimed Quill as she jumped from her seat and sprung towards the door.

Octavia slowly got to her feet as well, following Quill out of the door. As she did she looked back, mouthing the words ‘thank you’ before vanishing around the doorframe. Rarity and Brass found themselves alone in the room, each looking at the empty doorway.

“Such a sensitive creature,” commented Brass with a sigh.

“Yes I had noticed,” added Rarity.

Beauty Brass now turned her attention to the unicorn; for a moment she studied her from nose to tail.

“Do you mean what you said?” she asked at length.

“But of course,” nodded Rarity as she finally moved her hot chocolate towards her and took a sip, “I couldn’t sleep comfortably at night if I didn’t try and do something.”

“And you really think you can help us…help her?”

“I can’t say for certain but what I will say is that I won’t stop until I’ve exhausted every possible option.”

“I suppose that is better than anything else we have had,” commented Brass as she took a sip of her own drink, “what do you intend to do next?”

“I had hoped to make contact with the rest of your ensemble but I’ve had trouble tracking them down.”

“You mean Frederick and Parish? I haven’t heard from Frederick is nearly a year but I may be able to help with Parish. A few months ago he sent me a postcard from Baltimare. He mentioned he was working in a new club now and gave me an address, I’ll give it to you.”

“Thank you deary.”

“I should be thanking you…uh…”

“Rarity.”

“Rarity…since our ensemble broke up we haven’t had any good luck. Tavi has always blamed herself for what happened, she tries to put on a brave face but she is such a delicate flower. Thank you for giving her hope…even if it doesn’t work out.”

“It’s nothing dear really, I’m just doing what anypony would…well I suppose I’m doing what nopony has done aren’t I?”

“Quite…just promise me one thing.”

“What is that?”

“Stay with her. What Tavi needs right now more than anything is a friend she can count on and draw strength from. I wish it could be me but I’m afraid I’m no use to anypony right now.”

“I promise.”

“Thank you.”

The rest of the afternoon passed without incident. Brass and Rarity occupied their time by talking, Rarity providing most of the conversation as she told Brass about her dual life in Ponyville and Canterlot, her friends, dreams and ambitions. For the most part Brass just sat and listened, content to let the unicorn speak. By the time that Octavia finally re-joined them after her nap the pair were laughing and joking, something that caused a smile to cross her face.

Dinner was much the same. Despite Rarity’s insistence that they didn’t want to impose Quill was having none of it. The mint green pony may have been a little scatter brained but it didn’t stop her from being an exceptional cook, something that Rarity was incredibly pleased with as she had sat down to eat a large meal of homemade cheese quiche, salad and fresh apple juice. As she ate she couldn’t help but smile at the scene that was unfolding before her.

Just like she and Brass had been conversing earlier, now Octavia and Brass were talking…but again Brass wasn’t saying much. Rarity also felt sorry for her, the delicious meals that she herself was eating being replaced by a bowl of plain soup for the ill pony. Still Brass seemed to be enjoying it, or at least she was enjoying the conversation so much she didn’t notice. As they talked about past events and joked about comical moments Rarity just continued to eat, occasionally casting a sideways look at Quill and exchanging a friendly smile with her.

Quill herself was either very happy or was simply a pony that never stopped smiling, the expression having been plastered across her face ever since the start of dinner. Rarity could take a good guess as to what it was that was making her smile though and another look across the table caused her to smile as well. Was this the real Octavia once she had been freed of the troubles and worries of her life? She seemed so natural, so relaxed and calm. It was just like Brass had said, underneath that hard steely stage façade was a pony of such endless joy and happiness. In a way it was like watching all of her friends rolled into one and with each word she spoke Octavia seemed to take on the personality of a different one. She loved each of her friends for who they were and was always sure she would do anything in her power to help them. Seeing Octavia like this did nothing but strengthen her own resolve. She found herself starting to love the grey mare just like her friends and now she not only had a promise to Brass to keep but one to herself as well. She would help Octavia, regardless of the cost and regardless of the end result; there was no doubt in her mind.

As the four ponies finally turned in for the night spirits were high all around. Rarity and Octavia found themselves sharing the spare room; luckily two single beds occupied the small room. Rarity was thankful, she didn’t want to sound rude but sleeping on a couch or Celestia forbid the floor just wasn’t something she enjoyed. As she remade her bed for the third time Octavia, who she thought was already asleep, rolled over and spoke.

“Rarity, I want to thank you,” she said slowly.

Rarity quickly finished tucking in her bed sheet before turning towards the mare, “Oh think nothing of it my dear, I’m just doing what I said I would.”

“Yes but…you’re actually doing it.”

Octavia paused and rolled onto her back. Staring up at the ceiling she continued, “Apart from the members of my former ensemble I’ve never really had any friends. Most ponies just wanted to be near me for their own gains and didn’t really care about me. I don’t know if the others in the group knew but most evenings I would spend on my own sharing a bottle of wine with myself or reading a book. I got so lonely…and it wasn’t through lack of trying. When I tried to get close to others most of them seemed to think I was making friends for the same reason ponies made friends with me; they all assumed I had some ulterior motive. But you’re different, you’re not asking anything of me…it just…makes me happy.”

As Octavia paused Rarity’s hoof gently landed on her shoulder. Octavia looked up at her, the unicorn smiling gracefully.

“I’m glad I can be a friend to you my dear, goodness knows you need more of them. You’re a wonderful mare and you don’t deserve the problems you’ve been facing. What say when this is all said and done, however it works out, that you come back to Ponyville with me for a while. I’m sure my other friends would be thrilled to meet you.”

“I would like that.”

The two ponies exchanged a smile before Rarity finally gave a long yawn.

“Well darling, I simply must get some rest. A lady must look her best and only the proper amount of sleep will do,” she stated as she turned towards her bed.

Making sure that the blankets were just right she elegantly slipped into the covers, scooting down a little at a time so that the sheets remained perfectly in place. With her magic she reached over to a small bedside cabinet that separated the two beds and plucked a night mask from it. Sliding the floral designed night ware over her eyes she turned her head in Octavia’s direction.

“Sweet dreams my dear.”

“And to you Rarity,” replied Octavia as she watched the unicorn sink peacefully into her pillow.

For a while Octavia remained still, watching the white unicorn as she fell asleep. Despite all the pain and sorrow of recent events and the dread and apprehension of what was coming Octavia couldn’t help but feel happy. For the first time since the Royal Canterlot Wedding she felt like smiling. She knew the mountain she had to climb was huge and imposing. She knew that she still faced almost insurmountable odds. But she also knew that whatever was to come she would not have to face it alone. Rolling onto her back she allowed herself to sigh happily. She closed her eyes and slowly the gentle embrace of sleep reached out and brought her into its arms.