• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 1,258 Views, 58 Comments

Building Blocks - BirdyTheEarthPony



During the midst of his teenage years, Ethan is thrown from his known life into a world of unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 1,258

Prologue

I shifted in my seat as my teacher droned on and on about the environment in the most hypocritical way. I decided to take this time and reflect a little more upon my previous thoughts, “What if there really is nothing? Even better question; what is nothing?” A light tap broke Ethan’s listless stare as the person nearest to him extended his I-phone to show a YouTube video that he honestly couldn’t care to watch. It wasn’t that i didn’t want to see it, no not at all. It was something else. Something that had been bugging me for the past week; My life had been in a kind of fog, I couldn’t remember much and I have constantly been in a sad, fidgety mood.


Soon enough the bell for next hour rang and all the students got up to leave. I decided to stay for a bit and wait on my friend after class, to talk about how I felt, which I admit was weird for me. “My thoughts are sacred to me, why would John care anyway.” I sighed a deep breathy sigh and got up from my seat to walk to next hour. This is where things struck me as odd. I go to a school with upwards of three thousand students, but as I stepped outside I was met with silence. Not the low whisper silence of a hushed student body, no a silence only broke by the wind and the leaves as they hit the ground. Odd I thought but it was quite chilly and the students might just be inside. As I walked, I looked into one of the glass doors that lead to the hallways of the main building, not a soul. I stopped dead in my tracks. I inched closer to the window and only saw a transparent reflection of my own face, struck with a visage of pure horror.


I didn’t scare easy, Ever. And now here I was, trembling and alone. Close behind me a female voice rang out faint and far away, “He really did, didn’t he?!” My first reaction was to look in the reflection of the glass that I had been fixated on. No one was behind me. A slow feeling crept through me that made my skin crawl and my nerves jump. I was a fighter, always since birth even, I had been a fighter. Brave and stalwart I always stood up for what was right and for the smaller guy, but now; now I was the small guy. I broke into a sweat as I heard faint whispers behind me once again, this time closer. Then, with all my bravery and courage rolled into one, I ran. I ran fast and soon, I was leaping onto the front porch of my girlfriends house. I peered inside and saw no one, the door was slightly ajar and I knew something was terribly wrong. I rushed inside and flung myself into every room but hers. I knew why I hadn’t, but I didn’t want to know.


There it was, secure and shut. Just like it always was. I crept closer to it, being careful to be very quiet, but I knew why. I opened the door and there it was. There I was, her room just as she would usually leave it, slightly a mess but organized none the less. I got to the bed and laid down where she would have been, not one trace that she had even been there, all but one thing. The pillow smelled lightly of her, and I grabbed onto that pillow and sobbed in the grey morning light.

I thought back to the many nights that we had laid there, argued, kissed, hurt, cried, and shared all that we knew. I cried for what seemed like forever until I looked at the clock. It was blank. 88:88 flashed on the clocks display, I got up and then I began to think what had happened, then a voice, clearer but still faint, “Crying? How can he cry? What is even going on?” Then like a ton of bricks had landed on me, I fell to the ground. I couldn’t get up, move blink or even breathe. It felt like something was down my throat, clogging all the flow of blood. My eyes felt dry and unmovable, as did all I had. I quickly regained my panic and thrashed as best as I could. My once strong body had failed me and all I could manage was a light convulsion “Uhmm! Quick someone hold him down please! We need to get him….out….soon…. or he’ll….die” This time the voice was clear as day but broken up into fragments. I noticed what felt like irons grab me by the arms and pin me down, I screamed, only I didn’t. Not one word escaped my mouth, I could rasp all I wanted but nothing came at all. As I fell back onto the soft carpet I felt a pillow that hadn’t been there before. I found this odd, there weren’t even pillows on the ground! Then blackness, the thick soupy blackness that consumes all that touches it. No screaming, thrashing, flailing, or blinking. Just blackness.