• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 2,319 Views, 203 Comments

Sins Never Die - CodenameOne



Equestria and the Griffons wage war as humanity's UNSC aids the Griffons. The dragons aid ponykind, and the Covenant Empire search for an ancient race.

  • ...
21
 203
 2,319

One. Three: Going Nowhere

One. Three
Going Nowhere

On the surface of Equestria Captain Adam Kuyaki drove an M12 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle with Princess Sparkle in the passenger seat, the two on the way to the Griffon capital. According to Twilight, friction between the Equestrians and Griffons had grown in recent years, and Twilight wanted the UNSC to aid in keeping diplomatic relations.

“I don’t want this to become a war, Adam. Celestia and Luna don’t want that, either. We’re going to do everything we can to keep this from boiling over and becoming an uncontainable situation” Twilight said.

“This vehicle is quite fast” the Princess said, changing the subject.

“The M12 Warthog is known for a decent speed within the UNSC. This specialized version has a rear window and gull-wing doors on the cabin for a full-seal. The gun in the back has been removed. Basically, this is a demilitarized model” Kuyaki replied.

“Fascinating.”

Captain Kuyaki knew what the Equestrians wanted, and knew what the Griffons wanted. Both of it was paradoxical. The Equestrians wanted continued peace, but also for the Griffons to stop expanding their already considerably large military. But the Griffons were taking a human proverb to heart; ‘Should you seek peace, prepare for war’. The Griffons wanted the same peace, but were preparing for what seemed like armageddon with how large their army was becoming.

Of course Adam had his own opinion; let the Griffons build their army. Obviously they had a reason for it, and there was no reason for the Equestrians to weigh in on it. The Princesses had, in Kuyaki’s view, a very misguided view on their world. Their entire species was frail, weak, wishing to see their whole world as one of peace, love, and affection. These were admirable desires, but they couldn’t seem to see that not every race wanted to conform to these ideals. The Equestrian military was miserably out-dated compared to all other species, and all her inhabitants rode high on their ideals of “peace and tolerance”.

They see their world as one of peace, but any kind of significant threat of violence struck absolute terror in any Equestrian, even the Princesses. Fear rules Equestria, though not by design. They haven’t experienced any kind of war in a very long time, and the idea of violence makes them panic Adam thought.

This was best exemplified by the Equestrians’ first reactions to the UNSC. The Kabato had stayed in orbit, but two fully-armed Pelicans and two dozen armed Marines on the doorstep of Canterlot had sufficiently freaked out the entire country. The Equestrians knew guns when they saw them, and in their first impressions the UNSC had made the Equestrians think an alien race built on the ideals of conquest, domination, and violence had come to their world.

Of course, that was absolutely what humanity was all about, but that wasn’t the UNSC’s objective for Equestria.

The Science of War... If the Princesses could see our history archives, they would have us thrown off the planet in seconds.

As a result of the UNSC’s first impressions no significant military weapons were allowed on planet. All Warthogs and Pelicans designated for use in-atmosphere must have their weapons removed, and any UNSC soldier to be on the ground is allowed no more than his sidearm. It was an extreme demilitarization, one that most Marines were uncomfortable with. As a result, very few people went down to Equestria, and Human-Equestrian interaction had been next to none in the two weeks they had been there.

Of course, if Captain Kuyaki brought these points to the attention of any of the Princesses, including Twilight, they would immediately remove him from court. Especially Twilight.

Either the Princesses are brilliant politicians, spinning that fear into favor from the public, or they too are slaves to their fear. I suspect it is the latter Adam thought.

In secret, Adam was hoping this thing with the Griffons would turn into a minor border conflict. Just enough to remind the Equestrians, especially the Princesses, that they could not live in their fairy-land of peace and love forever. That there ARE races and species out there that wish to visit extreme violence upon them, and they they’ll wake up and see that ignorance is not bliss.

At the end of the day the Captain could do nothing more but play the role of politician for the Equestrians, though he was officially neutral.

I’ll see what the Griffons have to say, and make up my mind.

“Nice day out, huh?” Twilight said, the first words spoken in over ten minutes. She had been mostly quiet, but in Adam’s peripheral vision he had noticed her stealing glances at his holstered M6D. Even in the demilitarized Warthog she was uncomfortable, knowing that it had been built as an instrument of war.

“I know why you’re uncomfortable, and my advice is to get over it” Captain Kuyaki stated.

“I am not uncomfortable at all, thank you!” Twilight protested, indignant. And lying. The Captain scoffed.

“Whatever you say, Equestrian.”

The rest of their trip to the Griffon homeland was uneventful, and silent. Twilight never stopped peeking at Adam’s gun, unable to get past the fact she was sitting next to something that had possibly taken the lives of many people.

Arriving at the Griffon capital an hour later the Warthog came to a stop in the parking lot and Adam turned the engine off, leaning back in his seat and turning to face Twilight. “Want to know what I think of all this?” the human asked.

“No” Twilight said, attempting to open the door and finding it locked. She signed, and turned to the Captain. “What?”

“I think this is a pointless endeavor.”

-=-=-=-=-

“Welcome. Now, please be seated” the leader of the Griffon Republic, Chancellor Steelbeak, said as Captain Kuyaki and Princess Twilight entered the conference room. The two arriving parties did as told.

“Now, let’s get right to the chase; we want to discuss a cease in the expanding military of the Griffon Republic, but reach a solution that will please all parties” Twilight said.

“I have but one question before we begin the debate; what is the purpose of the presence of the UNSC in this conference?” Steelbeak asked.

“I am a neutral party to this issue; I am merely representing the human race and observing your two species as part of my mission to find new alien races” Captain Kuyaki answered truthfully, though it was only half of the truth.

“Fine. Now, on to the matter at hand. The Griffon Republic has stated repeatedly that the expansion of its military is of no consequence to the Equestrian Empire. We seek no quarrel with you or your land” Chancellor Steelbeak replied.

“The expansion of your military concerns and frightens all of Equestria, and is in defiance of the Demilitarization of Equus Act” Princess Twilight explained.

“These are trying times, Princess. And furthermore, the DEA is outdated by 6 years. Countless other races of Equus are expanding their militaries now that the Act has expired. For the sake of their own interests I will not disclose the species I am referring to. You Equestrians like to meddle in other races’ affairs, quite honestly” the Chancellor declared.

“We are trying to keep our planet a peaceful one. We’ve all studied the history of this earth, and we know what kind of state it was in 1,000 years ago. We are trying to ensure it never becomes a planet of war and violence again” Twilight objected.

“By sticking your noses in everyone else’s business and telling them how to run their own governments? You are meddlers, Princess, and Griffonia will have nothing of it. Our nation will cease no production of new age military weapons, and I suggest your kind catch up, for their own sake.”

“Is that a threat of military action against Equestria?” Twilight inquired.

“No! We have no quarrel with you or your race; we merely wish to be prepared should any conflicts arise in the future. Times are changing, Princess, remember that. You cannot police the world forever. This is an official statement; Griffonia will not cease the expansion of its military” Steelbeak said matter-of-factly.

“Unbelievable. What is your opinion on this matter, Adam?” Twilight asked, turning to the human, who had sat silent.

“I have no opinion in this debate. Please continue on” Captain Kuyaki responded.

“If our military concerns you so much then schedule a conference to renew the DEA with the leaders of ALL races on this planet present to discuss the terms, otherwise Griffonia will not budge.”

Author's Note:

Legal disclaimer: Adam Kuyaki, Chancellor Steelbeak, and all related characters belong to me. Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia, and all related characters belong to Hasbro. My Little Pony is copyright to Hasbro. Halo is copyright to Microsoft Studios and 343 Industries. All other characters and intellectual properties are copyright to their parent companies and respective affiliates.