• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 1,814 Views, 95 Comments

Pony Fortress 2: A Worthy Cause - The Usurper



The interviews have drawn to a close. The Administrator has bought some breathing room for himself, but not much. A new threat, one that promises to definitively end the stalemate between RED and BLU, watches patiently and waits for an opportunity to

  • ...
7
 95
 1,814

Soul Sisters

It was twilight over Canterlot. The tall spires cast dark shadows on the wreckage of days past - but, of course, mostly from the time the BLU Pyro paid it a little visit. There were traces of the destruction almost everywhere but the palace itself.

Fortunate, then, Luna thought as her royal carriage descended onto the castle platform, that we won't have to set hoof anywhere near that.

"So, your highness," her Chief Diplomat, an earth pony with a modest brown coat, was saying, "it is imperative that you do not allow Celestia to believe that this destruction was your doing. You absolutely must stress to her that it was the Administrator who sent the Pyro here, not you."

"Of course." She was barely listening.

"And you cannot mention the invitation letter for the peace talks Princess Celestia sent you either. Such an act naturally brings much shame upon the Empire, and I doubt she wants to be reminded that she gave up the diplomatic cold war."

"Yes, this is the third time you've said it, Diplomat Mente." I really shouldn't have invited him into my carriage.

"I had no choice but to emphasize its importance, Princess." He bowed deeply. "My apologies if I appear to be rambling."

"Rest easy, my subject. We must direct our attention to the coming negotiations."

"Of course, your majesty." He sighed. "Please forgive my nervousness. For the first time in a thousand years the opportunity to end the headache that has plagued our diplomats and foreign relations department is in sight, and if we make even a single mistake..." He trailed off.

"Fear not. I do not intend to decline a peace offer. At the very least, we will have a short armistice for the Empire to recover from this tragedy."

"Any form of peace is a victory for all ponykind, Princess."

"Doubtlessly." Her horn flashed and the carriage door swung open. "Come, Chief Diplomat. We have arrived."

"Thank you." Mente bowed again, his mane brushing briefly against the floor, then hurried out. He bumped his way past the two bat-winged pegasus guards outside, who seemed briefly shocked that their Princess had - god forbid - opened the door herself. Their discipline, however, was not to be underestimated. A short moment was all they needed to reassume their expressions of impassiveness.

Luna sent a curt nod their way, both as acknowledgement and an order to stay close to her. They obeyed, falling into a measured cadence by her side as she strode over to Celestia's welcome committee.

"We are honoured to be graced by your presence, Princess Luna of the New Lunar Republic." The leading pony of the committee, a white, amber-maned unicorn dressed in elaborate garments, sent a wide smile her way. "My name is Prince Blueblood."

The last time she'd had to deal with the insufferable nobles of the Imperial regime, it took all she had not to spit in their arrogant, pretentious faces. Now, a thousand years later, she still felt the distaste welling up in her throat.

"Dispense with the formalities." She said coldly. The smile dropped off his face. "Lead me to my sister."

"Of... of course, Princess." Blueblood frowned at the bluntness, but made no protest. He gave the rest of the committee a brief gesture. They moved aside to allow Luna and her guards passage. He was, however, not above turning his nose up at Mente as he scurried by.

This motion did not evade Luna. Her respect for him dropped below zero. "Prince Blueblood, you will show the appropriate respect to my Chief Diplomat."

He looked shocked. "But... but Princess, he is but a lowly earth pony! A commoner!"

Her patience reached its limit. "The Republic does not recognize ponies based on their race, Prince. Ours is a meritocracy that brings those most deserving of a position to glory - unlike your Empire, which sits the most talentless and worthless ones upon gilded thrones and calls them Princes."

Blueblood gaped. His face was a picture of astonishment. Even the Chief Diplomat wore a look of consternation.

"Please forgive her highness, Prince Blueblood." He apologized. "She spoke in a moment of anger. She means nothing by it-"

"Silence!" Blueblood commanded.

"Enough." Luna said. "You will not treat him as your subordinate. Prince. He is by far your superior."

"Hmph!" He wrinkled his nose in disgust. "That peasant, my superior? More ludicrous jokes have never been told."

"Please, if you two would just-"

"There are few jokes more ludicrous than you." Luna shot back.

"What- I-" He snorted. "I cannot believe Aunt Celestia is related to somepony so... so... uncouth!"

"And I cannot believe my sister is the aunt of such a pretentious imbecile."

Blueblood flinched. "I refuse to lead you any further."

"Then when I finally do find my sister I will tell her why I am an hour late for the meeting."

He seethed quietly. "It is down the corridor. Turn right at the end. My aunt waits behind the second door on the left."

"Thank you." With a huff, Luna turned away and kicked whatever dust there was on the floor into Blueblood's face, chuckling internally as he let out a disgusted grunt. Her guards followed through with their own little kicks, a gesture which elicited a most un-princess-like snigger.

"Um... excuse me, Princess?"

"Yes, Diplomat?"

"I, uh, don't want to seem like I'm panicking," he panicked, "but did you just insult an Imperial Prince?"

"I did."

"With all due respect, do you realize that we may have compromised all hope for a peace settlement?"

"Not at all." Luna shrugged. "My sister hates those nobles only marginally less than I do. If they didn't comprise the backbone of the Imperial Court she wouldn't put up with them."

"Are you sure Princess Celestia won't be offended?"

"Not at all. In fact, I'm guessing she's going to thank me for putting that arrogant twit in his place."

"... If you say so, your highness."

Luna reached the end of the corridor. "Guards, wait outside the room. Do not enter unless I order you to. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Princess."

"You too, Diplomat Mente."

Mente looked puzzled. "But Princess, shouldn't the Chief Diplomat be present for the negotiations?"

"I know my sister well enough to tell that she would rather have a private meeting." Luna gestured to the cluster of ponies outside the door Blueblood had indicated. "I believe the unicorn beside those Imperial guards is her own Chief Diplomat."

"He's... waiting outside?"

"Precisely. As I said: a private meeting."

Mente bowed. "Your wish is my command."

Luna nodded in acknowledgement and, with a readjustment of her regal posture, strode forward to the waiting Imperial soldiers.

The guards exchanged meaningful looks. In unison, they stepped aside respectfully and pushed the door open.

Luna entered.

The first detail that caught her eye was the lavish cobalt carpet that stretched from corner to corner of the room. And it wasn't as if the room itself was small; no, it was easily two, maybe three times bigger than the average living room in Canterlot. The mosaic on the ceiling, a perfect copy of Celestia's cutie mark, occupied just as much space. A large window spanning the entire east wall gave Luna a splendid view of the Imperial capital's majesty and the unfortunate extent of its recent devastation.

And at the centre of all the extravagance, a regal alicorn, her prismatic mane waving in a non-existent breeze, regarded her with a benevolent gaze.

"Hello, Luna." Celestia smiled. "It's been a while."


"Greetings, sister." Her tone wasn't too cold, as things stood, but Celestia wished it could have been a little friendlier.

"Come, sit with me." She gestured at the carpet one of her boot-licking nobles had seen fit to purchase. To his credit, it is quite comfortable.

"Of course." Luna moved with a stiff gait, one that implied, paradoxically, both gratitude and displeasure. She assumed her place on the carpet.

"Now, before we begin the peace talks, is there anything you wish to clarify with me?"

Luna eyed her suspiciously. "An odd question. Do you have something in mind?"

"I don't know..." Celestia tapped her chin in feigned thoughtfulness. "Perhaps a denial of responsibility for your Pyro's actions?"

If there were some harder object to smash her hooves down on, Luna would probably have made do with it, but she was forced to resort to an indignant slam on the unsatisfyingly soft carpet as she stood up angrily. "I assure you, sister, the Republic truly has nothing to do with this travesty!"

"Oh, I believe you."

"You must understand, we- wait, you believe me?"

"Why not?" Celestia shrugged. "You and I, despite our differences in governmental beliefs, ultimately seek only good for Equestria and its denizens. Such an act of cruelty is far too heavy a weight on your conscience for you to ever consider."

"I... I am glad that you see it that way." Luna sat back down. Clearly, she was expecting more resistance.

"Now, on to the important matters." Her benevolent smile wilted somewhat. "Such as the content of the... message."

Luna looked surprised. It was as if she hadn't expected the matter to be brought up so bluntly. "Ever quick to skip past decorum, sister."

"I try." Clearly, my Diplomatic Advisor was misguided in his belief that Luna would be offended by my mentioning the letter she sent me. "But it is clearly an issue that must be dealt with posthaste."

"I am, of course, in complete agreement." Luna paused and gave the room a quick once-over. "We are alone, are we not?"

"We are." Celestia said. "But just to be sure..." Her horn flashed with arcane magic. "... A soundproofing spell is good insurance."

"Doubtlessly. However, I feel that there is some lingering unsettling presence in this room. Something that wishes harm upon us and our people. I am, however, unable to ascertain their identity or intent at the present moment."

"Luna?"

"It is as if some audacious miscreant has deemed it fit to intrude upon the privacy of our diplomatic meeting—"

"Luna."

"— and I can promise you, should this infiltrator truly exist, they shall be well acquainted with the extent of my power before the day is done—"

"Luna!"

She shut up.

"There's nopony here. You can drop the act now."

Confusion was etched across her face. "Drop the... act?"

"Yes, the act. Surely it gets tiring speaking like an advanced linguistics expert?"

Luna just seemed even more bewildered. "Tiring? Why would it be tiring?"

"Because... because... don't you find it inconvenient to make everything you say sound grandiloquent?"

"Nay. By now such verbal tendencies have worked their way naturally into my speech."

Celestia's eyes widened. "Oh my. So... you are like this all the time?"

"Correct. The speech mannerisms I present are the ones that are. I have no intention of hiding my true face from the citizens of the Republic."

"That is... sad."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "How so, sister?"

"I... never mind. We'd better get back to the topic at hoof."

"What was... right, the peace talks."

"We both know that peace has to be made soon, if not now, for two main reasons." Celestia raised a hoof. "One: It has become painfully clear that the Administrator is abusing his power over our mercenaries. Such destruction as the one the Pyro has caused cannot be tolerated, not to mention that, thanks to both the Pyros, our teams are down five members each."

"Agreed." Luna nodded. "He must be dealt with, and swiftly."

"Two: It has become painfully clear that the Administrator has already abused his power over us." She paused. "Can you feel it, Luna?"

"Feel... what, exactly?"

"You know what I'm talking about. The threads of chaos magic?"

"Ah. That... thing." Luna shuddered. "Remind me not of that abomination."

"What has it done to you?"

"It's... my dark side, so to speak. The chaos magic brought together all my worst qualities and formed a personality that threatens to take control of my body."

"Well... that sounds harsh." Celestia said. "I haven't concluded as much yet."

"That is probably because mine, for whatever reasons, seems to be in the later stages of its development. I fight constantly to keep that nightmare suppressed. It threatens to overwhelm me with every passing moment."

"You do not seem very burdened." Celestia remarked.

"As of now, its attempts are feeble and ineffectual. However, there is no telling when it will come to maturity." Luna extended her right hoof. "For now, we must put our struggle for the good of Equestria aside to confront a threat that is, very objectively speaking, even more perilous to the good we seek."

"Right." Celestia took the hoof and shook it warmly. "From here on out, the Solar Empire and the New Lunar Republic are officially at peace."

Luna withdrew her hoof in surprise. "Wait, that's it? No documents to sign, no terms to discuss? Nothing?"

"It is just an agreement, after all." She shrugged. "Besides, the only thing extra paperwork is going to give me is a migraine when the nobles criticize me for agreeing to terms too lenient for their tastes."

"So it is more of an unofficial truce, then?"

"Why not? I see no reason for either of us to betray the other until we force the Administrator to heal us of his scourge." Celestia paused. "And then seal him away with the Elements of Harmony."

"Are you sure that such a gambit will succeed?"

"Not a doubt. Remember that the Elements are effective against all of Father's magic. That means me, you, and of course... him."

"Correct me if I am wrong," Luna said drily, "but are our potential Element bearers not temporarily indisposed?"

"We just have to find and reactivate the respawn points."

"Easier said than done, sister."

"But it will never be done if we do not try. Besides, it is two against one. The odds are with us."

From somewhere in the room, a dark chuckle answered her statement. "Far from it. The odds are with no one but I."

Luna stood up instantly, horn aglow. "Where are you, whelp? Show yourself!"

"Relax. I come in peace." A column of green fire burst forth from a tiny ant on the ground. "Mostly."

"What is your intention, stranger?" Celestia asked.

"Stranger? Oh, you wound me." Slowly, the flames dissipated, leaving behind the hole-ridden body of a tall, black-carapaced alicorn. "Don't you recognize your dear sister?"

Celestia glanced sideways at Luna. The latter gazed at the newcomer with an expression of thinly-veiled disbelief. "You? Again?"

"What do you want, Chrysalis?" Celestia snapped.

"The same thing I wanted a thousand years ago." Chrysalis answered smoothly. "Food for my subjects. Unless you've already forgotten?"

"I- We have not." Luna retorted. "But it seems that you have forgotten our reply."

"Now what makes you say that? No, this time is different."

"How so?" Celestia asked.

"This time I come armed—"

"Lay down your weapons!" Luna shouted.

"— with a persuasive argument."

"Oh."

"Now, consider this." Chrysalis started trotting circles around the two princesses. From her sitting position, Celestia began to feel small. She rose to her hooves slowly, eyeing the changeling. "You do remember Sombra, no?"

"He's... already been taken care of." Luna said stiffly. "Both he and his Crystal Empire."

"Not that pathetic tactician of yours. I'm talking about Father." Chrysalis smirked. "Not, of course, that I think it's any coincidence you two made sure both Father and that mad murderer share the same name."

"Yes, yes." Celestia ignored that last part. "So what about him?"

"Father gave you an order. You disobeyed it. Why?"

"Which one? The one about mass genocide or the one where he told us not to freeze him in stone?"

"The first one."

"... Really, I do think that statement is self-explanatory."

"Exactly." Chrysalis said. "Because, after all, how can genocide possibly be justified?"

Celestia saw what she was driving at. "This is different. I know your changelings are starving, but to feed them would cause a disaster for national security."

"I would question why national security is more important than saving lives," Chrysalis deadpanned, "but do go on. Explain yourself."

"Letting changelings loose in the Empire—"

"And the Republic." Luna added.

"— and the Republic, is akin to flooding the streets with spies. Spies who can shapeshift at will."

"We wouldn't be having this conversation if your anti-changeling shields weren't as effective as they are." Chrysalis pointed out.

"The Republic prides itself on its great strides in the research of magic." Luna puffed out her chest with pride.

"But not so much on its ability to keep the secrets of its magical advances secure." Celestia said.

"Shut up, sister."

"Ahem." Chrysalis cleared her throat. "We've strayed from the topic."

"Right, right, sorry." Celestia apologized. "Go on."

"Now where was I... Oh yes. Covering secure locations with those shields would make them all changeling-proof."

"But that's not the only factor. The citizens of the Empire, and the Republic," she hastily added, "will never accept this."

"Not to mention that the Cabinet will never allow such a prevalence of shapeshifters in Republic territories." Luna said.

"Eventually," Celestia continued, "they'll all start to wonder whether their loved ones have been replaced with changelings. Fear and uncertainty would rule."

"You can't blame them. That's pretty much what I'm going to have to do." Chrysalis explained.

"... Then I'm afraid these negotiations are over."

Chrysalis sighed and turned away. "I... see."

"I'm sorry it has to be this way."

"I'm sure you are." She looked out the window. Celestia and Luna glanced at each other, then at her.

Silence reigned.

Finally, it grew too awkward for Luna. "What are you doing?"

"Thinking." Chrysalis said, a small frown on her face. "Even if I might not show it, it breaks my heart when I realize that none of my subjects will ever be as well off as yours."

Celestia leaned forward to get a closer look. "You're looking at the victims of the BLU Pyro's latest mass murder. They've lost everypony they hold dear."

"Is that all?" She turned to Celestia and snorted. "Each one of my changelings lose their families on a weekly basis."

Neither of the Princesses had a good answer to that.

"Three weeks." She just stated, and turned back.

"Three weeks?" Luna asked.

"That's the average life of a changeling. Usual routine: Be born, work for a while, mate, then die. Rinse, wash and repeat."

"That is... tragic." Celestia sighed. "But I cannot change my stance on this."

"Neither can I. Perhaps the separatists might be amenable to your proposal?" Luna suggested.

"I went to them first, obviously. And they - like you two - had no reason to accept." Chrysalis hung her head in resignation.

"Listen, Chrysalis." Celestia walked up to her and lifted her head. "I know things aren't good for you right now. I know you just want the best for your people. But I'm certain that, with determination and patience, everything will work out for-"

"No!" She snapped. "Don't you get it? 'And they all lived happily ever after'. That's how you end a fairytale. But in real life, it's never the same. Evil wins. Ponies die. And there is no happy ending for anypony but the luckiest of them all."

"Be as it may, I think—"

"I don't care what you think." Chrysalis took a deep breath, and when she next spoke, the anger was gone. "I need to do what it necessary to protect my changelings. I'm sure you understand."

Celestia nodded. "I do."

"Then I'm sure you understand when I tell you that I have only one choice left."

"What is that?"

"Invasion."

"What?!" Luna gasped.

"I understand." Celestia said evenly. "But I'm afraid I won't just roll over and die for you. We Equestrians are very tough."

"Oh, I never expected you to." A ghost of a smile rested on Chrysalis' fanged mouth. "But you'll find that my changelings aren't pushovers either."

"This— this is an outrage!" Luna exclaimed. "Surely, sister, you're not just going to sit here and listen to this?"

"Of course not. I'm going to suggest, politely, that she leave. Now." Celestia kept her gaze fixed on Chrysalis, watching for any suspicious movements. "You have overstayed your welcome."

"I'm not leaving." Chrysalis never took her eyes away from the window. "Get your soldiers to chase me out, if you must."

"Very well." Celestia's horn lit up and the door swung open. "Guards! Kindly escort our uninvited visitor out of the city."

"Diplomat Mente!" Luna said. "Bring our guards in here as well."

"As you wish, Princess." Both Imperial and Republic troops intoned in unison. They marched into the room, headed by their respective Chief Diplomats.

I'm positive she's going to try something. Celestia refused to look away from the changeling queen. Out of the corner of her eye, she noted that Luna was doing the same. But what?

"... Are you sure you want to do this?" Chrysalis asked slowly.

"I have no other choice." Celestia stated firmly.

"Nor do I." Luna said,

"Then... then you two have sealed your fates." Chrysalis let out a final sigh, and her horn began to glow with a sickening green aura.

"Stop, now. Whatever it is that you're doing, it's not going to-" Celestia stopped. Her eyes grew wide. Pain erupted in her back. A small tendril of blood released itself from her mouth and trickled down her cheek.

"Sister!" Luna gasped. "What-"

shlck

"Ugh..." Luna collapsed in a heap. "What... Diplomat... Mente?"

"Sorry, but I serve no Princess of Equestria." Mente snarled, plunging the knife one more time into her back. "Only the one true Queen."

Celestia, for her part, lost the last of her strength in her legs. She fell and rolled over, staring into the green irises of her own Diplomatic Advisor. "... Why?"

"My deepest apologies, Princess." Part of his face dissolved, exposing a malevolent blue eye set in a dark face of exoskeleton. "But you are in the way."

shlck

The vibrant colour of the room faded to red, and then finally black.


"My Queen, it is done." The last vestiges of Diplomat Mente fell away from the changeling's body in a burst of green fire. "What are your orders now?"

Chrysalis pondered silently as she stared out the window. "... Tell the army to swarm Canterlot. We take it today."

"At once." The changeling turned to leave.

"One more thing, Commander Protea."

"Yes, your highness?"

"Tell everyone that... the famine is finally over."

She bowed low. "It will be done, my Queen."

"Then go."

The clattering of chitinous hooves faded as Protea left the room.

"What about us?" One by one, the faces of the assorted Equestrian guards morphed into those of her changelings.

Chrysalis said nothing, gazing out over Canterlot and breathing a sigh of relief. "Finally, at the end of the thousand-year night, dawn is upon us.

"Go, my subjects. Feed!"