• Published 3rd Nov 2013
  • 8,898 Views, 92 Comments

Midnight Melody - Caffeine Junkie



Octavia’s life is bound to change when suddenly strange events occur around her. Chosen by Pandora’s box she soon finds herself dealing with something she had never expected…

  • ...
5
 92
 8,898

-(27)- Waking a Demon

"I'd do anything..."

Those words still resonated cold and clear within my mind. They were the ultimate proof that I still hadn't given up...that I still wanted to live. As if to prove my conviction icy winds suddenly began to whirl around me when I got back on my hooves and opened my eyes. The demon-like creature turned around in an instant but instead of attacking me it even took a step back...

"The pact...is sealed."I heard my own voice echoing through my head all the while my body started to laugh. It was a cold and heartless laugh that even managed to scare the monster a little. Raising the scythe once more I immediately took the initiative and jumped at the creature.

Wielding the scythe by instinct I unleashed a series of complicated, yet precise moves that not only caught my opponent by surprise but would also put a lot of weapon-masters to shame. Of course my opponent wasn't beaten that easily and soon it adjusted to my attacks. However, even stranger than the fact that I was wielding the scythe so formidably was the fact that my defense was even better. Somehow I managed to fight a creature that should have the knowledge of a thousand beings to a stalemate. The creature snarled and hissed in many voices but at the same time I could also see a smile growing on its face. That was something I couldn't comprehend. Why would it ever be happy?

"It seems like we clearly underestimated you..." the monster said and made a short pause before it added. "A mistake we'd better correct..."

Black energy started to swirl around the monster's weapon and its power increased significantly. At first I was kind of confused. If the monster really had that much power why didn't it use it earlier? As if to answer my unspoken question the grotesque figure suddenly began to speak.

"We are Legion, for we are many. No matter how many weaklings we have to sacrifice as long as we'll obtain victory...it will be worth it."

Celestia be damned, I forgot that changelings had that kind of skill. Wait...why would I even know that? I shook my head. It didn't matter whether I picked it up at a party or somewhere else. This just wasn't the time to think about stuff like that. I had to concentrate on fighting that...eh...thing.

The monster's smile began to widen as it realized that it was giving me a hard time. The sound of steel clashing filled my ears and I began to get more and more nervous. My enemy on the other hoof didn't get nervous but impatient. Not only did the fiend sacrifice to empower itself now it also started to use energy bolts to interrupt the flow of battle. Those bolts weren't any stronger than a regular unicorns but if used in the right way I had to deflect instead of being able to counterattack. For the moment I could do nothing more than defend.

"Now it is time to finish this! Taste true despair..." the otherworldly voice of the creature suddenly shouted in a cruel tone.

At that moment the creature spread its wings. Of course I had read enough stories about dragons to know what that usually meant. Without losing any time I jumped out of the creatures way, only dodging the dark blue ball of fire by a hair's margin. However, even though I got out of the fireball's way I could suddenly feel an excruciating amount of pain flush over my body. Letting my eyes wander down, it was only now that I realized that I had been far too careless. Just because my enemy used the abilities of a dragon didn't make him one. So it shouldn't have come as a surprise that the creature never intended to hit me with the fireball in the first place. Its attack was merely a distraction to get off a clean hit with its weapon. Pulling out the halberd of my body the grotesque figure began to laugh

"Tell us little pony...do you know the difference of being regal and being arrogant?" the creature asked with its head held high. "No?"

The creature immediately used its second paw and slapped my face. Not only did it manage to tear off a lot of flesh from my face, it also sent me flying. Once more I could hear nothing more than her terrifying laughter...

"The difference is strength. As long as your skill can't match your arrogance you are nothing more than a conceited little brat..." the creature answered its own question and walked up to me, still wearing that twisted smile.

"And yet...even though you should have understood the difference between us long ago...you are still arrogant enough to think of yourself as my equal..." the fiend said with a disgusted look and once again sent me flying. However, this time it utilized the blunt part of its weapon and a lot more strength than before. Vinyl would have probably put it in more simple terms; Its weapon was used as a bat while I was merely...the ball.

"Oh please...knock it off already. That thing shouldn't even be able to touch you. After all even the amalgamation of trash is still nothing more than trash." I heard the darkest part of myself hiss in frustration.

"Well...if you are so smart why don't you tell me how to turn the situation around." I replied to myself in frustration.

"Listen, this place is governed by your mind and your beliefs, therefore winning and losing seem to be more of a matter of self-perception than actual skill. So, as long as you don't doubt yourself this mismatched creature shouldn't be able to buck with you at all."

While I was still lying on the floor and trying to figure out how to ban all thoughts of doubt from my mind the grotesque thing came closer and kicked me in the stomach, thus forcing me on my back. Giving me a haughty look the figure then raised its halberd directly above me and tried to thrust it through my heart.

"Rely on your instinct..." I could hear the voice in my head again.

I immediately rolled out of harms way and jumped back at my hooves, causing the weapon to pierce the ground. Sweating and panting I took on a defensive stance and raised my weapon once more. At first the creature looked at me in disbelief but soon the expression was replaced with one of anger.

"There should be no more hope left in your heart..." the monster's otherworldly voice rang in the air. "...so why won't you despair?"

"You stinking piece of trash..." the voice in my head whispered in contempt. However, I wasn't really listening. Right now I was far too pissed of by that bucking creature. Who did it think it was to lecture me about despair?

"...how dare you compare pain and...despair." both me and the voice in my head replied in unison.

Shocked by our venomous tone and the sudden change of demeanor the creature subconsciously took a step back. Shifting to a much more aggressive stance I immediately took the initiative and charged at the demon-spawn. Attacking it with a barrage of quick strike the monster could do nothing more than defend against the blows, while the wounds on my body were once again closing themselves.

"Such arrogance! How dares a mere pony to..."

"It is about time to take its head...don't you think?" the voice inside my mind urged me to.

Swinging the scythe with all I head I managed to crush the monster's defense and took off its head without much difficulties. Looking at my decapitated foe's body I started to laugh like a mad mare. Green liquid started to shoot out of its neck like a fountain but I didn't give it much of a thought. My eyes were glued to the head of that thing. With a sadistic smile I raised a hoof above it's head and simply crushed it.

That was the moment when I felt a terrible pain at the place where my heart should have been. Looking down at myself I saw a dark, ornamented halberd sticking out of my chest. Oh, buck...

"Foalish pony...as if taking my head would make any difference." I could hear my enemy's victorious voice when it retrieved its weapon from my chest. However, this time I did not fall. Still standing on my hooves a cruel smirk spread across my face...and I began to cackle.

"Bwahaha..." I laughed icily while looking at the gaping hole in my chest and simply replied:"...but you thought piercing my heart would?"

At that moment I could finally see it; fear. The monster looked as if I had just grown a second head. Oh...how much I enjoyed the look of terror on its face when the hole in my chest filled itself with solid ice. It was probably that very moment that the creature realized that this was no longer the same mare it had dealt with before. No, now that I was in charge I'd definitely exact my vengeance for all the humiliation that thing had caused me. I'd probably start easy...by shattering all the bones in its body.

Clearly feeling the pressure of my presence the creature couldn't help but frantically ask: "Who...who are you?"

With a sadistic smile I revealed two pointy fangs and gave him the answer he was so desperately looking for.

"Me? Why, this pony's better half of course. Thanks for waking me up..."

Author's Note:

So yeah...as some of you've already figured. Tavi's darker part offered her counterpart a little bit of help in the previous chapter. However, seems like in the end Tavi alone wasn't strong enough to take on a demon that amounts to a legion. Next chapter: the slaughter fight continues...

On a more serious note:
So...I know this chapter was rather short but I hope you enjoyed it anyway.
One or maybe two more chapters until I'll have to revisit/rewrite some of the older chapters.

Questions? Like always:
Just fire away ^^

PS:
No this won't degenerate into a body heist story. I really hate stories where people steal/switch bodies...unless a body steal ends with someone throwing a toad into the process ^^