• Published 3rd Nov 2013
  • 8,890 Views, 92 Comments

Midnight Melody - Caffeine Junkie



Octavia’s life is bound to change when suddenly strange events occur around her. Chosen by Pandora’s box she soon finds herself dealing with something she had never expected…

  • ...
5
 92
 8,890

-(9)- A vivid Night

Did you know that there are two kind of bad dreams? The first kind of dream is grey and depressing but at least you know how to handle it. The second kind is more random and you do not have a clue about what is happening. Now imagine if those two dreams would collide…what do you think would happen? Right! All grey would be flushed down by the rain until everything ends together in a whirl of crazy spinning colours.

I did not remember when I went home. The sun had already set and I did not know what it was but it made me feel calm and at ease. Strange…I really enjoyed the cold breeze that blew through my mane. Everything seemed so peaceful; it was just me and the ocean of stars above.

I ignored the angry ponies before my house. I ignored the fact that there was a bunch of whiney colts and mares walking beside me and demanding that I had to hold Vinyl in check. I did not care about silly things…never did…

Wait…why was I that way… that was not my usual self. Something was terribly off. I didn’t simply not care about my surroundings… in fact it was exactly the opposite most of the time. I did not understand why I was so happy without a reason. I also did not understand why I didn’t care about the tremendous volume of music when I entered my home. Something was definitely off.

“Hey Tavi! What took ya so long? I was growing old…and that all alone.” she began to chatter when I went straight into the living room.

I looked at a lot of empty beer cans, opened crisp packs, broken plates and anything else one could describe as utter chaos. I ignored it. I moved my hoof into one of the opened packs got myself some crisps and went into the kitchen where I opened a nearly empty bottle of Applejack Daniels which I flushed down my throat. It was strange...I felt nothing. No shame, simply nothing.

Vinyls eyes became big. She looked at me in wonder. She knew I was acting strange and I knew I was acting strange. I still did not know why though. What happened to me...

“Tavi? Everything alright? I know I overdid it a lil…but no one was there and I felt very worried so I thought that I had to distract myself and…”

She continued like that but I just sat on my flank, started to lower the volume of her (new?) speakers a little so that I could hear if she said something important…meh what could be important now. I was so happy…everything felt perfect except…it didn't...nothing made sense.

“Tavi? You…you alright? Should I call a doctor?”

She looked terrified as if I was about to die. Well something was wrong and we both knew that. Still I wondered what it was but then I understood. Those were not my emotions. Those emotions were the work of one of them…

They must have followed me. Maybe it was the same colt who we shook of last time. It would make sense for him to verify if I was just impure or… if I really knew.

“Vinyl…come over here…” I whispered softly in her direction.

She came closer and I…I pulled her over and kissed her.
No! It was not like that…
I wasn’t drunk…and it was not love…
No, it wasn't love…seriously…believe me.

I wanted her to get a glance through the windows. I hope she would see something…but that stupid mare was far too focused on my action. At first she seemed shocked…then she put on a big grin and tried to be all over me but…

“Vinyl…listen closely…I think we are being watched.” I told her as softly as possible, stopping any further unnecessary actions of her.

“Tavi…? What exactly did you do while you were gone? You are freakin me out…” she said, obviously worried about me and trying to be as quiet as possible

“Vinyl…I will tell you everything after…” I started to say but I couldn’t get out anything else because suddenly the doorbell rang.

Who could that be…at such a time. Vinyl grinned as if she knew…and I…well I started to get a feeling who it was too. I just let him in, grinning like Vinyl did. Of course who else could it have been but Neon. Just great…two crazy DJs…and my personality still did not work the way I wanted.

“Yo Vinyl, hey Tavi…”

“Hey Neon! Wanna have a drink? More Applejacks is on the way…” I said and I wandered into the kitchen taking back with me two more bottles.

Neons eyes widened now. He stared at Vinyl hoping for some clues about my behaviour but she just shrugged. Soon after we began to drink and Neon and Vinyl were influenced enough by the whiskey that they forgot about my strange behaviour.

“So Tavi…seems you are as nocturnal as we are? Would make a good DJ..:” Neon pointed out.

“Oh shut ya trap…I do not like to get hit on by girls like you…” I spouted out. Obviously the alcohol kicked in.

“It was Neon who just talked to you Tavi…” Vinyl said with a grin.

“Oh…I couldn’t tell. I mean he acts so feminine…way more than you ever could Vinyl…”

“Touché!” she said with a smirk.

“Hey Vinyl…why do you use those crap speakers again? I thought you bought new ones…those here suck! I mean does that quality suck or what?” Neon asked, trying to change the topic.

“Well…Tavi…destroyed them somehow…”

“She did what? Those things were worth more than what you could earn in a month!”

“W-wait a sec…Vinyl said those things were garbage…I…”

“Yaaay~ Way to go Douchbag Light! Just make her feel bad…and you wonder why you mess up with the girls all the time? Grow a tail!” Vinyl said furiously.

“Duh that was a case for captain obvious anyways! Everyone should have seen that they were very expensive.”

“I…did not…” I gulped.

“Oh shut yer trap Tavi! There are other things to worry about…” she started and gave me a knowing glare.

“My sexiness?” Neon asked while trying to aspirate the word as much as he could.

“Your manliness!” me and Vinyl let out at the same time.

“Why do I always have to hit on the girls who are interested in the wrong gender?”

“Hey…it isn’t like that…” I stumbled out.

“So what? Vinyl or me? Who’d you pick?” Neon asked trying to provoke me.

“What a strange question! I do not love you…and Vinyl is a girl.”

“Hah! She did not say that she did not love me…so I still get my way…”

“What the hay was that supposed to…”

I was cut off when Vinyl suddenly leaned forwards and kissed me.
Oh…that damn drunken mare…she really overdid it.
I had probably drunk too much as well because all of a sudden I blushed…

“Oh she has gone all cherry head!” Neon spouted.

“Cherry what now? No wait I do not even want to…”

While we chatted the night away I finally realised three things. First and foremost, those ponies are good people worth more than hundreds of those so called friends I had up until now. The second thing I realised was that Vinyl already moved all of her belongings into my home…probably with Neons help. Finally the most important thing I realised was that after hours and hours my mood started to turn back to its regular state. Sadly the alcohol still worked and so I still was a giggling mess.

At around three in the morning Neon decided to go…well Vinyl decided for him. He was rather…well how do you say…grumpy?

“Vinyl! You damn psycho! Want me to freeze to death?
Every time I help you I get in serious trouble.
What kind of pony treats her friends like that and
No…w…wait…no…don’t…aaarrgh”

It seemed like she really loved to use poor Neon as a punching ball. Well…if I remembered correct he tried to grope our plots a dozen times…oh just buck him! He deserved it!

When Vinyl came back to the living room where I was still lying…she put on a serious face, put down her drink and asked me to tell her the story…all of it. I sighed tried to muster some composure and told her.

I told her everything about Victor and about my last meeting with him. I even told her how strange I felt when I came home. We both came to the conclusion that it was probably really was one of them who stalked me and his ability probably was something like...“manipulating emotions?” I was not sure to be honest but it was the best explanation I could find in that small time.

He probably gave up stalking me after I turned out to be exactly that horrible kind of pony he suspected instead of a smart one who discovered their secret. I mean I even did kiss another mare…that was pretty impure right? Oh, talking about that…

“Well…Tavi…what about the kiss? Can I get another try at that?”

“Oh buck you!” I pressed through my teeth. She already knew why I did it…right?

“Huh…funny way to phrase it…I’d rather like to buck you.” she said and gave me a wink.

“Come on…you just like to play around with me do you?”

“If you just wanted me to look out of the window you could have done something different. T
here were better ways…so why kiss me if you don’t like me?”

“Because…shut it Vinyl!” I shouted out angrily.

“Oh how…mature…as expected of a high class mare…”

“You…you make my brain melt…”

“Oh that wouldn’t be a big loss…you work better without yours!”

“Well if you still had yours you might not live like the mess you are.”

“Yeah…as if I could take that serious coming from a melancholic alcoholic…”

“I am not an alcoholic…”

“Yeah those bottles drank themselves…”

“You and Neon also…”

“You drank more than both of us combined you drunkard!”

“I am not a drunk! I have some class!”

“Yeah "A class" tolerance to liquor of all kinds.”

“One can’t belong to the upper class and drink that excessivly…it would not make sense!”

“You drink BECAUSE of that you silly mare! You can’t take it otherwise!”

“Then I should drink all the more when I’m with you!”

Then there was a long pause where both of us glared at each other.
We just seemed to have views far too different from another that showed up from time to time.
Even though it was just a quarrel based on a joke I somehow felt bad and thought it would be good to apologise.

“I’m sorry Vinyl…I shouldn’t have said that.”

“Yeah you shouldn’t! But what does it matter…gotta take the snobs as they snot…”

“The hay is that supposed to mean?”

“I dunno…just sounded very awesome.”

We both giggled a lot during our great conversations. It was all about stupid things no one would ever care about. We just wanted to get a joke out of the other and in the end we fell asleep on the floor…hugging each other and sinking into a world of dreams.

My dreams were painted in crimson. There was blood everywhere…dark clouds and lots and lots of rain. I saw a silhouette in the shadows and thought that I had to catch it so I tried to follow it. When I finally caught up to it…my dream abruptly ended with me letting out a scream.

Thanks to me we both woke up. It looked like we slept far too long into the day. Vinyl asked me if we should visit my friend Victor today. She wanted him to answer for a few things. I guess Vinyl thought that Victor was involved in all of this.

She probably believed they followed me all the way back from Victor’s mansion. Well I couldn’t hold anything against that…

I mean Victor was a shady guy and a vampire on top of that. Meh…I knew better but it would probably work out if they met each other…of that I was sure.

Then I had to ask Vinyl the one thing that was on my mind for far too long.

“Vinyl?”

“Yeah…”

“Why do you believe in all of my stories? Don’t I look like a loon to you?”

“You sure do but I don’t think you are crazy. I remember nothing about the guy you were forced to date. I should…I always did remember people who caused a fuss for me. Why would I forget exactly the one colt who annoyed me the most?”

“So because of that you believe all the vampire stuff as well?”

“To be honest…the vampires may be cult fanatics or even some kind of secret agency with a lot of magic users among their ranks. I do not care about that. I don’t want you to be in danger so we have to sort things out.”

“You do not care who you go up against?”

“As long as it is for you I would even kick Celestia in the flank.”

“Oh great…so you may be a pony who would help me to fight windmills as well right?”

“That is not funny Tavi. You know how I meant that.”

“Yes…but I don’t see you that serious most of the time. You should lighten up. Everything will probably work out and…”

“Yeah…probably. That is the problem. It has to work out for certain. I will kick some flank from here up to Saddle Arabia if that is what we need to make hundred percent sure you are safe.”

“So my job from now on will be to stop you kicking any ponies flank before you will put in jail…”

She rolled her eyes and I let out another giggle. It must be as much fun for her when the roles were not reversed and I was the one who had to deal with all her craziness.

“So when do we meet Victor? Today?” she asked.

“Well probably a little later…my mother gave me quite the "lofty" task you see…”

Instead of walking to Victor I told her that I would have to prepare for the worst day ever. I had some serious filly sitting to do after all. Vinyl sighed after she heard that and said it would be my funeral anyways.

“Oh please don’t talk about funerals. You saw what happened after the last one.”

She gulped. I guess she didn’t want to upset me in any way and failed without noticing it.

“So…should I help you with the filly sitting?”

“If you comb your mane, wash out the colour, don’t put on your shades and act if you were the high class snob you never wanted to be, sure why not.”

“Then that is a no for me…”

“As I thought…”

“At least let me keep my hair colour.” she said with an impish grin.

“No…that was supposed to be a joke…”

“I know but I want to…”

“No…”

“Tavi…please…”

“Buck it…fine.”

“Yeah!”

“Just promise me that you’ll behave.”

“I think we’ll have a lot of fun tomorrow.”

That did it. I bursted out in laughter. She had absolutley no clue exactly how bad my family was.
Oh, Vinyl you just dug your own grave.

“Oh and Vinyl...?” I pressed through my teeths still trying to keep myself from laughing.

“What?”

“You are not prepared.”

Even though I couldn’t stop laughing at her utterly confused face I knew exactly how hard the task that was before us would be. I just hope Vinyl would not mess up…or kick my sister in her in the flank. Otherwise I had to kick her...to the moon that is.

Well, my life had really turned out to be far more vivid…and even though some things really annoy me I could get used to a life like this. Maybe there really was a happy end for every pony and you just let to have it happen?

Who was I kidding in life there is no thing like a happy end and soon even I would know that...