• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,638 Views, 68 Comments

Chronicle - Honey Mead



An old pony recounts his life as the personal secretary for Princess Celestia.

  • ...
2
 68
 1,638

A Scribe Finds Trouble

Chapter 9: A Scribe Finds Trouble

The noonday sun shone through the dome of my office casting a warm glow about the room. I crept as quietly as possible away from the large cushion in the back corner. Each step I took towards my desk sent a sharp click into the air causing me to cringe. I had never wanted a carpeted floor as much as I did in that moment. Clearing the distance I turned back to check on the purple mound breathing softly behind me. With a satisfied smile I sat down and took a moment to rest my head in my hooves letting out a soft sigh. Silence, wonderful joyous silence. Unfortunately, I could not simply sit back and bask in its glory, I had work to do.

The bottom drawer squealed ever so softly as it opened, I made a quick mental note to have that fixed. I heard a stirring behind me and I froze, my ears turning to the purple mound. A full minute passed before I so much as flicked my ear. The breathing slowly calmed and evened out, I let out the breath that had caught in my throat. Satisfied, I levitated my quill and ink from the drawer and left it open, the risk was too great. A mountain of paperwork begged for my attention and I was only too willing to answer. Peace, quiet, and paperwork; what more could I ask for?

Ink bottle open and quill in the air I pulled out the first page and bent over my work. I tentatively signed the document, my ears still turned back to the sleeping form behind me. With no noticeable reaction I relaxed slightly and pulled out another report. The day having started out on less than a positive note seemed to finally be going well.

The creak of the door brought another cringe and I glared up at the new intruder on my peace and quiet. “This is how you greet me after being gone for so long?”

My eyes slammed shut in concentration, magic igniting around my horn as I wove the spell, “SHHH! I thought they trained you to notice everything when you stepped in a room.”

She gave me an incredulous look, “Chronicle, I taught you better than that.” I flinched at the scolding and she continued before I could respond, “so your playing foalsitter now?”

“Shouldn’t you be skulking through some bushes in a jungle somewhere?”

“Oh I was, until I was overcome with a terrible longing,” she fluttered her eyelashes. “I knew that I just had to return to my Chronicle.”

Before I could respond her attention shifted behind me. The calming effects of my work faded away all too quickly as my head turned to look behind myself. There she was, Miss Sparkle, eyes wide and locked on me. “You were using magic!” She exclaimed giddily as she bounded off the cushion, “I felt it! I felt it! I was asleep and I felt your magic!” My head thudded loudly against the desk, “What kind of spell was it, Mr. Chronicle? Can you teach it to me?”

I looked up and saw that Stars had put on the mask of detached and disinterested calm that she always wore around other ponies. A sigh escaped my lips, “I am sorry, but I can’t. It is not mine to teach,” with a flick of my hoof I motioned to the pony across the room.

Miss Sparkle turned to the pink unicorn standing at the open door. I was amazed to see her shrink back in fright, a tiny whimper escaping her lips. I opened my mouth to ask what was wrong, but before I could she barreled into me. Almost knocking me over as she hit, my forelegs instinctively wrapped around the frightened bundle of fur.

“Woah there, what’s the matter?” I asked soothingly, running a hoof up and down her back trying to comfort her. Miss Sparkle buried her face against my chest and pointed a shaky hoof at Stars. I looked up in confusion at the blue maned unicorn for a moment. Realization slowly dawned on me. For the first time in years I looked at her and saw what every other pony saw. “It’s okay Miss Sparkle,” I said unable to keep the laughter from my voice, “I know she looks scary but she is really just a teddy bear at heart.” For her part Stars glared daggers at me, I knew I was going to pay for that comment later.

Looking into her eyes I motioned to the filly by flicking my head. She frowned, but acquiesced. Miss Sparkle suddenly perked up and turned to face Stars, eyes wide in wonder. “How are you doing that? Can you teach me?... Aww, why not?” Miss Sparkles’ face dropped, her voice coming out in a whine that promised lots of tears and screaming if she didn’t get her way.

The cushion where Miss Sparkle had been sleeping moved slightly and I held my breath. A loud snore echoed across the room before the cushion settled back down. Turning my gaze to the filly I gave her a stern look, “keep your voice down,” the words barely a whisper, “you don’t want to wake him up do you?” Her eyes went wide as she stuffed her forehooves in her mouth and shook her head.

The sound of hooves clicking across the floor brought my head around. Stars moved toward the cushion in the corner, curiosity painted across her face. If I hadn’t been paying close attention I would have missed the flash of confusion in her eyes. “Chronicle, why is there a baby dragon sleeping in your office?”

“That’s Spike, the dragon Miss Sparkle hatched.”

Her lips moved as she whispered to herself and her already stern face hardened. I had had the unfortunate opportunity to see her angry before, but this was different. If I didn’t know better I would have said she was worried. Her eyes fell on the little filly. “Twilight Sparkle!” the Arch-Magi spoke in a hushed tone that carried more force of command than most ponies could scream, “front and center.”

Fear and uncertainty played across the fillies face, neither was able to hold her though. Miss Sparkles’ movements were more akin to a marionette than a living pony. Each leg being raised and lowered one at a time until she stood before the Arch-Magi. Lowering her head the Arch-Magi’s horn touched hers and immediately they flared to life. The Arch-Magi’s lips began to move, whispering too softly for me to hear.

A light formed where their horns touched and rose into the air above them. A simple speck of light floating alone in the air. I watched completely entranced as the light split in two, then four, now eight. They began to move, rearranging themselves to form the constellations. The Hunter, Ursa Major, Aeros the Griffin, each one I could name and many more that I could not. The entirety of the night sky had flashed before my eyes before collapsing back into a single point of light.

The light stretched itself into a single line. The line shrunk and moved high into the air. Another point formed and stretched before curving back to itself and forming a circle. The circle followed the line and hung next to it in the air as a new light formed. A triangle followed, then a square, a pentagon, hexagon, octagon. Each one moving up to the field of shapes in the air. Miss Sparkles’ eyes shot open, pure white light pouring out, when they moved to the third dimension. Each shape formed, a cone, a pyramid..., and each moved to join the others. The Arch-Magi’s features became more and more strained with each new shape, sweat dripping from her brow. My vision twisted as my eyes and mind tried desperately to comprehend the newest shape above their horns. Nausea washed through me and the world faded for a brief moment.

A shake of my head brought the world back in time to see Miss Sparkle teetering, “did... did I pass?” she mumbled as she slumped forward into Stars. Exhaustion overtook her and she fell into unconsciousness.

I reached out and caught her in my magic before she could hit the floor. Gently, I placed her back on the cushion with her dragon before turning to Stars. “What the hay just happened?”

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Running a hoof across her brow she finally spoke, “I... I don’t know. I have never seen anything like that... I need to speak to the Princess.”

Before she could move to stand four loud clicks echoed into the room from the balcony. I turned to see the Princess step through the drawn curtain. The golden glow of her magic surrounded the sleeping forms, “Arch-Magi! Outside. Now.”

I watched in awe and more than a little fear as Stars stood on shaky legs. Her face was set, betraying no emotion or weariness, her legs the only sign that anything might be wrong. The Princess watched as the unicorn stepped past her and out to the balcony. The look on her face chilled me to the bone, I had never seen her angry before and I could only hope that I was never on the receiving end of that glare.

The bubble around the cushion dissipated as the Princess stepped back behind the curtain and another one flared to life blocking off the balcony. Between the curtain and the wall of magic I had no idea what was happening on the other side. The air was filled with the soft sound of breathing and the ticking of the clock on my desk. I waited, counting the seconds as they ticked away.

Three minutes and twenty six seconds. The magic wall lifted, “I expected better judgment from you.” Heavy wing beats caused the curtains to billow open, showing me the Princess taking flight and Stars looking dejectedly at her hooves, for a brief moment before they fell back into place.

A moment later she stepped back into the room, the mask of the Arch-Magi firmly in place. “Are... is everything alright? Love?”

“Everything is fine, Chronicle.”

“D-don’t give me th-that goat shit!” I ground my teeth in frustration, turning away and looking at the ground. “Stars... I... want...” The stiff warmth of her hoof pressed gently into my cheek. She brought my muzzle up to hers.

The frustration melted away as we shared that moment, cheek to cheek, just the two of us. It had been a month since I had last seen her. She rarely had to go into the field anymore, but being the Arch-Magi meant that every problem for the Corps. was her problem. Between inspections, assignments, training and all of my own responsibility we rarely had time for each other. I was overcome by a wave of guilt; we could have been spending this entire time together, but instead I let my annoyance with others get in the way. When I tried to speak I found my mouth otherwise occupied.

As with all things, the moment ended too soon. We parted; both of us knowing that it had to be, both of us wishing it were otherwise.

My eyes drifted to the pile of paperwork that had been waiting for my attention all day. I felt a hoof press against my cheek and turned to look back at the mare sitting before me. She gave me the small private smile nopony else saw, “you have work to see to,” when I tried to protest her hoof moved to my lips and she shook her head.

I kissed the top of her hoof before stepping back to my desk. The first page lifted out of the stack and floated down to the empty center of the desk. With my quill in the air I stopped and turned to look back at Stars. She had moved to the pile of books that Miss Sparkle had been reading. Selecting one on the basics of magical theory she curled up next to sleeping forms and began to read. Turning my attention back to my own task I dipped the quill into the ink and set to work.

As I signed that first document I felt the familiar calm wash over me. My muscles relaxed and I slumped forward slightly. I quickly fell into the rhythm that I had developed early in my adult life. Paperwork has always been my refuge. The place I could go to get away from the rest of the world. Where confusing social convention had no meaning; where I didn’t have to worry about missing the meaning behind someponies words or having my own actions misconstrued. Everything here made sense to me and after years of practice it had become so routine that I could let my mind wander.

That this was not the case for other scribes has always confused me. What was a scribe if not a pony destined to do paperwork? I could understand the treasury scribes not enjoying it when they had to deal with the legal documentation, after all their forte was numbers not words. However, many of the ponies I worked with in legal made a habit of complaining about the constant paperwork. How can a pony complain about what they were born to do? To me it was like a musician complaining about performing at concerts.

I worked through the daily reports at my usual pace, I may have been hurrying just a little. There was very little of any interest that day. The last event at the palace had been more than a month ago and there wasn’t another one scheduled for weeks. Even the sealed intelligence reports were lacking in number and information. It seemed the entire organization was holding its breath in anticipation. The Princess had yet to actually approve the plans set in place by the department heads; she was waiting for something, though nopony seemed to know what. I was content with the state of affairs however, I feared the repercussions of such action.

As it is want to do, the mass of papers slowly transferred from one pile to the other. Once the inbox was down to just about an inch in thickness I finally put my quill softly on the desk and sat back with a contented smile. Through a great deal of trial and error I had learned that it was impossible to finish the paperwork. Every time I got close to emptying the inbox, and this never failed to amaze me, Zipp would come strolling in with another stack. I had questioned him on this once or twice, to which he would simply smile and respond ‘I don’t know what you mean boss.’ before exiting in an orange streak.

My heart leapt into my throat as a pair of pink hooves wrapped themselves around me. She pulled me closer, resting her chin on my shoulder, “I wasn’t kidding earlier, how long until we can get some time alone?”

I relaxed into her warm soft fur, “The Princess has meetings until nightfall and today is the nurse's day off, so I will have them for the rest of the day.” I rubbed my cheek into hers, “I’m sorry.”

“Doesn’t she have parents?”

“I am told they have taken their first vacation together since Shining Armor was born. They will be gone for another week at least, something about Haywaii and drinks with little umbrellas.”

Stars deflated with a heavy sigh and relaxed her weight into me. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the smallest change in her face I doubt any other pony would have seen it past the tattoos. There was a sadness that I had never seen before. Before I could say anything her lips twisted into an evil smile, “how long has it been since our last game?”

“Did you bring the board?”

“No, I left it here last time.” Her horn lit up as she pulled the bottom left drawer open. I cringed in anticipation of the squeal that never came. The familiar lined board and two toned bags floated onto the top of the desk. Stars moved from behind me and positioned herself on the other side of the desk. She lifted a single black stone from the similarly colored bag. It hung above the board for a moment before floating back towards her, another evil smile played across her features, “why don’t we make this game a little more interesting?”

My mind went to those places that it only ever went when Stars was around. I couldn’t keep the stupid grin off my lips, “That depends, what did you have in mind?”

“If I win... you have to participate in P.T. tomorrow.”

My face fell, “I... I...” I felt my eyes light up, “okay, and if I win you have to smile at and compliment your recruits during P.T. tomorrow.” It was finally her turn to be caught off guard, “it’s not that hard, just a smile here, a few words of encouragement there, it could be fun.” For the first time ever her glare didn’t faze me, I just smiled. She stuck her hoof across the table and I met it with mine. The first stone hit the board.

It took us almost ten minutes to set up our opening moves. The first moves are some of the most important, they can be the deciding factor between two experienced players. The most devious traps are based around these moves and a misstep here can be devastating.

My eyes were locked onto the board as I considered my next move, the white piece hanging silently in the air. “Gah!” I sprang away from the hoof tapping my flank.

The surprise on Miss Sparkles face turned to amusement as she giggled behind a hoof, “Spike is awake and I don’t know where his snacks are.”

My eyes shifted over to the cushion and sure enough the diminutive dragon was sitting up looking wide eyed at the three of us, the spear tip of his tail firmly in place between his toothless gums. I nodded and looked over at the Arch-Magi smiling apologetically. Trotting over to a small green and purple bag I retrieved the long sapphire that the Princess had provided. Spike eyed the gem as it floated through the air. Letting his tail fall to the ground he snagged the gem out of my grasp the moment it was within reach. He cooed happily around the stone as he sucked on it.

That would keep him occupied for awhile, now I just had to come up with some way to handle Miss Sparkle. I turned back to see her reared up with her fore-hooves on the desk staring intently at the game board. She turned to me with a slight frown, “I don’t get it, it looks like Checkers but that can’t be right.”

“You are very right, Miss Sparkle, it is not Checkers. Though I can understand where that impression might come from.”

“So what is it?”

“It is known as ‘Stones’ here in Equestria, I believe the Zebras call it ‘Go’.”

“Can you teach me to play?” she nearly bounced at the idea of learning something new.

I sighed, there goes the rest of my day, “Of course, you don’t mind Arch-Magi?” her blank expression didn’t give me anything to work with, “I’ll take that as a no.”

Sitting once again before the board Miss Sparkle climbed my back and made herself comfortable on my shoulders. She took advantage of her new view and studied the board. I reclaimed my discarded stone and laid it down carefully before I began. “The rules are fairly simple, Miss Sparkle. On each players turn they place a single stone on the board. When a set of stones are completely surrounded by the stones of the other color, like where I just placed my white stone, the surrounded stones are removed from the board.” The six black stones lifted off the board in a blue field. “The goal is to control the majority of the board once there are no more spaces left to place a stone.”

The game proceeded with an amazing lack of questions from a particular lavender unicorn. Either she was content to simply watch as we took our turns placing stone after stone on the board or she was too tired to think of any questions. Up to this point the game had been a wash, neither of us managing to get much of a foot hold. The only noise in the room was the contented suckling of Spike on his gemstone. That remained true until I saw my opportunity and placed another stone.

“Mr. Chronicle, why did you put that stone there?” Miss Sparkle asked, with a note of concern in her voice.

“That would be telling, Miss Sparkle.” I said, unable to keep a small bit of laughter out of my voice. The Arch-Magi’s face didn’t alter in the slightest as she studied the board. Anypony who didn’t know better would think that she had missed our exchange.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Spike move around on all fours exploring the room. The sapphire, now about half the size it used to be, still poking out of his mouth.

At the soft click of stone on wood I turned my attention back to the game. Immediately spotting the new black stone I had to repress a smile, perfect. I levitated my next stone and held it in the air. One lesson I had learned well from the pony sitting across from me was to never let your opponent know that you had a plan. After about thirty seconds of inaction I placed the stone.

I returned my attention to the baby dragon padding around the room. I saw his eyes light up as he quickly shuffled towards one of the small side tables along the walls. My eyes tracked his path to a small table that held a single book with a red-orange bar on the cover.

Miss Sparkle tapped me on the head to bring my attention back to the game. The Arch-Magi had moved right where I wanted her to. I didn’t hesitate this time as I placed my next stone and turned back to the dragon.

He stood up on wobbly legs so he could reach on to the table. His little claw picked the red stripe off the top of the book. He held the feather up, mezzmerized at the way it seemed to glow. My heart leapt into my throat and I started to call out. Before the words could begin to form on my tongue his mouth opened and pulled in a sharp breath.

AAACHOOO!

I blinked. I blinked again. I felt dizzy, like the entire room was shifting around me. Somepony said my name as a weight rolled off my shoulders and down my back..A hoof pressed gently to my cheek and turned my head. Stars was there. Her mouth moved, but I couldn’t hear her. I wondered why she looked worried. I tried to comfort her, but there was a lump in my throat. Her hoof gently wiped some moisture from the corner of my eye. That was odd, I didn’t remember crying recently. She leaned in, nuzzling me, and whispered something in my ear. I tried to respond again, to ask her what was wrong, but the lump in my throat wouldn’t let me.

Miss Sparkle walked behind Stars, my eyes followed her as she picked up the surprised dragon. She wrapped her fore-hooves around him as she sat down and pulled him in close to comfort him. My mind reeled at the sight, tears were beginning to form in his eyes as he shook heavily.

My entire body shook as I gasped. Had I been holding my breath? Tears began to pour down my cheeks. Why was I crying? I gasped and shook again. I knew something was wrong.

I tried to step towards the foals, but Stars was holding me. Why was she just sitting there? I wasn’t sure what it took to make a baby dragon to cry, but I was sure that we needed to do something about it. He grasped one of his claws and held it up to Miss Sparkle. She kissed the blackened talons. He must have burnt himself somehow, but there weren’t any candles here.

A red-orange feather floated before my eyes. I reached out for it as it burst into a green flame that disappeared through the balcony door.

All my thoughts froze on that single image. The world stopped moving, my vision cleared, I bit down hard as blood rushed to my face. I struggled against Stars’ grip, trying to pull away from her. She held me firm, whispering words I could not hear. A growl reverberated in my throat as I reached out to the creature. I raged as something stopped my magic.

“Miss Sparkle, it would behoove you to remove your dragon from this room.” Stars spoke with the commanding voice of the Arch-Magi. I watched as the little filly quickly stood and carried the reptile out the door.

I rode an ebbing wave of emotions as Stars did her best to soothe me. The depression and anger slowly melted away leaving me with a worn and drawn out feeling. It was minutes before I was able to form a coherent thought. We sat for a time, neither of us speaking a word. Our day was over, all thoughts beyond sleep had been crushed under the emotional strain of the past hours.

The door opened to reveal a pegasus guard, “Mr. Chronicle, the Princess would speak with you in her study.” I turned to the Arch-Magi to see her nod in affirmative to the guard.

We set a slow pace through the halls, not for lack of trying on the guard’s part. I stared blankly ahead as we made our way, doing my best not to think. For her part, Stars was the pillar of stoic silence that I had grown accustomed to when in the presence of others. I tried to take comfort in that, but found little.

When we approached the study our escort knocked softly on the door. The Princess’ voice carried clearly through the heavy wood, “let them in.”

I stepped through the threshold and froze. On the near edge of her desk was a red-orange feather that almost seemed to glow on its own. Ignoring all formality I cleared the distance and lifted the quill to my eyes. I frantically examined the calamus, searching, hoping. There it was, the tiny engraving that meant so much, 964 C.R. Phoenix Prize - Inkdrop.

The Princess smiled, “I’m at a loss, Mr. Chronicle, to explain how your quill came to be on my desk. Would you care to hazard a guess?”

I struggled to put the pieces together in a way that made even the slightest bit of logical sense. Before I could begin to form an answer there was another knock at the door, “Urgent message, your majesty!”

“Come in,” answered the Princess. The door opened to reveal the rusty pegasus with a scroll held lightly in his mouth. He quickly stepped up to the desk and put the rolled up paper in front of her.

She frowned slightly as she inspected the scroll. Breaking the seal she lifted it in a golden glow and unrolled it. I watched with concern as her frown deepened the more she read. Without a word she passed the scroll to me. I took it tentatively and began to read.

“This is a good thing, right?” I asked.

“I... do not know.” Three blank parchments floated to her desk and three separate quills began to write out messages, “Zipp, I need you to deliver these immediately! Stars, I am sorry, but you will need to cut your vacation short. I need you to begin mobilizing, we have to get ahead of this before it gets out of control. I will have your orders soon.” The quills stopped moving as the scrolls rolled up. A golden bar of wax rose from a drawer. She pressed the tip on each scroll to seal it. As the bar pulled away the royal seal was already in place. The scrolls wafted through the air to Zipp, “go now, both of you.”

Zipp bowed before snapping the scrolls from the air and exiting in an orange streak. The Arch-Magi saluted the Princess. Stars gave me an apologetic look as she turned and left the office. I continued to reread the scroll I was holding, desperately trying to figure out how to get ahead of something that had to have happened more than three days ago.

Princess Celestia,

The Emperor is dead! Killed in full view of the court by his youngest son.

The Duke entered the hall with a contingent of the royal guards at his back. He demanded the Emperor step down and secede his rule back to the clans. The Emperor laughed at this show of hubris and called for the guards to take the upstart away. They stood stoic, making no move to comply.

The Duke then turned to those of us gathered and spoke to the assembled griffons. I dare say his words were beautiful, if frightening in their implications. He spoke of a corruption tainting the soul of the griffons. Of the sorrows felt by underclasses. He spoke of glories past and a desolate future that awaited them if nothing changed. He spoke of Tribes and Clans and a future that could be saved only by cutting away the chaff. Of bonds that ran deep within their very souls that had been left to rot by the folly of his ancestors. Predators could not live the same as prey, the violence in their soul demanded blood. But to survive they must focus and contain it. A ‘Violent Peace’ he called it.

The Emperor struck first, attacking his son with beak and talon. I saw the Emperor’s corpse bleeding and broken at the foot of his throne. I fled and have been in hiding. I have only just managed to get this message out to you.

The Aerie is in chaos. The Emperor’s children are fighting amongst themselves as the Lords and Ladies either flee to their homes and hide or move to seize power for themselves.

I am working to secure safe passage for my family, but I shall remain and endeavour to send word as I am able.

Your Faithful Subject,

Legate

(edited by the wonderfully talented Inkiepie)