• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,638 Views, 68 Comments

Chronicle - Honey Mead



An old pony recounts his life as the personal secretary for Princess Celestia.

  • ...
2
 68
 1,638

A Scribe and The Sky

Chapter 5: A Scribe and the Sky

Part 1: A Loss of Decorum

I began everyday here, outside the Princess’ study, awaiting that surge of magic to tell me the Sun was on the rise. That morning I struggled, and failed, to prevent a yawn from escaping my lips. The last two days had not been kind to me. Between sleeping in til noon and staying up til almost morning I hadn’t been able to get any real sleep.

With a heavy thump I found myself sitting on the floor after a wave of fatigue washed over me. I was too tired to care and accepted my new seat on the floor. My head dangled listlessly between my shoulders. It was a losing battle just to keep my eyes open. I probably should not have come in, I didn’t see how I could possibly be of any use without a decent nap.

I sat there, almost motionless until something moved across my ear. My hoof moved of its own accord to wipe it away. A moment later I felt something softly caressing my face and I tried to wipe away the tingling sensation that it left in its wake. It was like a gnat floating around my face. Whenever it landed my hoof would move to wipe it off only to have it return a few seconds later somewhere else. I began to get annoyed at the pest, but before I did anything else a wave of magic exploded from the room.

The force of the magic was like a jolt of lightning coursing through my body. My fatigue gave way to the rush of adrenaline speeding through my system. The two guards on either side of the door smiled at me as I walked past into the Princess’ study. It was the first time that I had seen anything that even resembled emotion out of any one of them, it should have been my first clue. I also thought I heard one nickering as the door closed behind me, which should have been my second clue. The Princess’ reaction when she came in from the balcony was the only one I picked up on.

She tried to stifle the laugh behind a hoof for all the good it did. I just stood there too confused and too tired to process what was going on. The princess walked over to a side-table and brought a small hoof-mirror out of its drawer. She floated it out in front of my face. I looked at the reflection staring back at me. I remember thinking for a moment that it was broken, I didn’t recognize the white pony with bags under his eyes. It wasn’t until I reached up with my hoof to wipe the dirty mirror that everything clicked into place. A smear of whipped cream streaked across the reflective surface. I looked at my hoof finally noticing the white substance covering it. When I wiped my face a large glob of it came away to reveal the tan fur beneath it. I turned to the door and saw a trail of the confection leading back out into the hallway. When the realization dawned on my face the Princess, unable to hold it in anymore, began to laugh out loud. I blame the lack of sleep and general fatigue for what I did next.

“Ah, crap.”

“Nugh...”

I smiled to myself until the guardponies charged into the room with the remnants of banana cream pies dripping from their faces. I almost didn't see the balloon in time to dodge. It missed me by millimeters instead exploding when it hit the Princess' face. Everything stopped, my eyes wide in horror as drops of water fell to the floor. The look of shock on her face did not last long. She is a much better shot than I would have expected.

Diving behind the couch did me no good as the magically conjured cream pie crashed into my flank. The guards had no better luck, each taking a well placed shot as they dove for what cover they could find. Then all hell broke loose.

Cream pies and water balloons flew through the air. Between the two combat trained guards and the Princess I felt very out-hoofed.

I did my best to catch any incoming projectiles and return them with a vengeance, I even succeeded once or twice. My earlier fatigue was lost in the excitement as cream pies and water balloons exploded around me.

I dove from chair to table to desk launching pies as I broke from cover. When I managed to hit one of the enemy combatants I felt a surge of excitement. These were always short lived, however, ending with the inevitable counter strike from one of the other ponies. I even managed to sneak up on the Princess once. The opportunity was almost wasted when a sliver of doubt delayed my onslaught long enough for the Princess to notice me. I managed to dodge her hasty toss and retaliated with my five pie barrage, three of which struck home. This didn’t save me from the water balloons that came flying from behind one of the bookshelves.

In the last seconds of the conflict the guard ponies and I teamed up against the Princess. We launched a simultaneous strike from all directions, cream pies arced through the air. When all the projectiles suddenly stopped in mid-flight I felt my jaw drop. It ended with the three of us covered from head to hoof in cream pies. We blinked up at the Princess as she stood triumphantly on her desk. The three of us shared a glance before bowing in defeat.

“In recognition of your valour under fire I shall spare you all.” She intoned in a haughty voice with her nose up in the air. We managed to hold ourselves together until a blob of cream dropped from her chin onto the desk with an audible plop.


Part 2: A Detour


After the fight was over and her room had been cleaned the Princess sent me off. There were no appointments for that day and with no other pressing business to attend to my only task for the day was to catch up on the reports that had piled up on my desk. I was desperately in need of a bath however, so I took a detour to the wash rooms.

Six rather large bathtubs lined the walls of this particular wash room. Fresh towels and wash cloths were stacked on the little tables next to each of the sparkling porcelain tubs. A variety of soaps and oils were made available for anypony to use. I contented myself with a basic soap. I never felt the need to fill any room I entered with the scent of roses, all it ever did was make me hungry.

A Washer-mare entered wearing a harness with two buckets of steaming bath water. She gave me a kind, if slightly annoyed, smile and set to work filling one of the tubs. It took her three trips to fill the tub to its proper volume. I thanked her for the assistance and waited for her to leave before I stepped into the tub. I felt fortunate that I had chosen an empty room. Regardless of how ridiculous it was I have never been comfortable bathing around other ponies, especially mares.

I lowered myself slowly into the steaming water and instantly felt better. The soothing heat of the water worked its way into my fur and was slowly absorbed by my muscles. I hadn’t realized how tense I was. The ache from the other night was the first to go. I found that the soreness hadn’t actually gone anywhere, I had simply gotten used to it. For the first few seconds the pain returned, compounded by the exertion of the earlier battle. As it seeped out I felt my legs finally relax to the point that I don’t think I could have gotten myself out of the tub if I had wanted to. The stress that I had been carrying around for the past week was the next to fall victim to the soothing waters. My entire body went weak as muscles that had been tensed for days finally let go. I allowed myself to drift off as the warmth of the bath replaced my worries.

I was in that magical land between being asleep and awake. I started off innocently enough, relaxing at my desk with a pile of paper work in front of me. When a took in a large breath I was surprised when I caught a whiff of perfume that I felt I should know. The scent continued to grow until I felt a pair of hooves press against my back. I looked up into a heavily tattooed face wearing a loving smile. I smiled back at her until she began working her hooves into my shoulders. I moaned, losing control of my neck and dropping my head between my shoulders. When I looked back up I found myself sitting on a sandy beach.

I marvelled at Celestia’s sun burning brightly. The sparse clouds in the sky changed shapes as they were pushed around by the winds. I watched in awe as the sun began to move below the horizon. The sky changing from blue to purple now red then orange. As the last rays of sunlight began to dip behind the horizon Stars pointed toward the sun. A flash of green bloomed across the sky painting the clouds for the briefest moment. Without warning she gripped my chin and the back of my head.

POP!

I awoke with a cry trying to escape the tub, but the hooves around my neck held me back. I struggled against my captor terrified of being pushed under. Water went everywhere as I thrashed around unable to escape the tub.

“Now now Mr. Chronicle, calm down.” A familiar voice whispered in my ear. “You are ruining all of my hard work.”

I stopped fighting and looked up to see that same lovely face staring down at me through a mask of tattoos. My rising panic fell away as she softly caressed my cheek. I suddenly noticed that a kink in my neck that I hadn’t even been aware of before was gone. I tried to say something but she stopped me with a hoof to my lips and went back to massaging the last of the knots out of my shoulders.

“I am pleased that I found you. I wasn’t sure that I would get a chance to say good-bye.”

“Good-bye? Wh....” I twisted to face her, or rather I tried, but she held me fast.

“Oh, don’t worry your little egg-shaped head. There are operations that require my personal attention. I will be leaving in the morning.”

The morning? That gave me most of a day. Only I was already a day behind in my duties. I had never had this dilemma before.

“Maybe, if you are not too busy, I will stop by for one more game.” A shiver shot down my spine. “Don’t disappoint me.”

She was wearing her SRSC uniform as she walked away with an odd sway that caused my heart to hammer against my ribs. The door opened before her to reveal two similarly dressed unicorns standing on either side of the portal. She whispered something to them drawing stiff salutes. When she turned to walk out of view I noticed something. Her face seemed different somehow. I do not think I could adequately describe the change, but in that moment I had the most important realization of my life.

Our relationship would never be like other ponies. We were both already married to our careers. Anything we had together would be little more than a temporary escape. A reprieve from the lives we had chosen. In that moment I knew that I could never ask her to lay down her sword and that I would never be willing to put away my quill.


Part 3: A Dream of the Sky

It was still early in the morning when I made it to my office. The decor matched the brightness of the day and made it difficult to fall asleep at my desk. But that didn’t stop it from happening.

I should tell you that the Princess only holds open court, where any pony can voice their concerns directly to her, about once every other month. The rest of the time it is part of my job to handle any prospective petitioners and only schedule them for an audience if their problem requires the Princess’ direct intervention. Generally these meetings are held in the Princess’ study and only get moved to the Great Hall when there are more than a hoof full of ponies in attendance, such as when the Pegasus Enclave visits to discuss the next years weather forecast. This remains the most frustrating part of my job. I am constantly amazed at the gall of some ponies.

“I must see Princess Celestia!” The unicorn shouted as he burst through the doors of my office.

My head shot up off of my desk causing me to lose balance. I flailed wildly trying to grab a hold of something to keep from falling backwards, but only managed to throw most of the contents of my desk into the air. I crashed onto my backside banging my head against the stone floor. This reawakened the pounding headache I had developed from using so much magic that morning.

I struggled desperately to reclaim the wonderful dream I had been having, but it was gone before I could save even a single second. Giving up on the lost cause I began collecting the reports that were scattered about the floor. I gave a snort when I saw my ink bottle half empty on the floor. levitating it I cringed as my head began to pound that much harder.

“Did you not here me? I must speak with the princess immediately.”

I wasn’t at all sure how to react to the pony on the other side of my desk, so I didn’t. I focused on re-sorting my reports and documents, cleaning up the ink stains, and trying to remember what I had been doing before I had fallen asleep.

“How dare you ignore me! Do you know who I am?”

I finally turned my gaze to the unicorn glaring at me. His mane was a dark black, a black that is only achieved with a great deal of dye, and expertly styled with not one hair out of place. His yellow coat was immaculately groomed, the smell of the spa filled the air between us. He wore a monocle in front of his right eye with a golden chain attached to the pocket of his suit. His blue suit looked like any other suit to my eye, though I am sure it was extremely expensive.

“Now that I have your attention...”

I didn’t hear what he said next because my attention was drawn to the pony standing in the open doorway. Commandant Night Runner was staring at me over the other pony’s shoulder. I could read the disapproval in his expression, but more importantly was the silent encouragement in his eyes. He was mouthing something that took me a moment to understand. When I finally figured out what he was trying to say it hit me like a slap to the flank. I turned my attention back to the unicorn who was still talking and leveled my best glare at him. It took a moment for him to take notice and when he did his rant petered out like a dammed river.

“I do not know who you are. But more importantly I do not care. I am very busy and I am very tired. So unless somepony is dying or the world is coming to an end the next words out of your muzzle had better be an apology.” My tail began to twitch with nervous energy. I could feel the sweat beading around my hooves as my right fore-hoof vibrated on its own. I had no idea what I was doing, but the pony in front of me recoiled at the sudden change in my demeanour. Its amazing how much courage exhaustion can give a pony. “And then, because whatever you have to say obviously isn’t important you can turn yourself around and get the buck out of my office.”

“Y-yes sir. Sorry sir.” The pony backed away without bothering to look behind himself. When the Commandant snorted into the back of his meticulously crafted mane the poor unicorn jumped and darted out of the office.

The Commandant closed the door with a swift buck and I dropped my head to my desk. The adrenaline rushed out of my system and left me feeling tired and drained. I had to work at slowing my breath back to a normal pace and keeping my eyes open. When I finally brought my head back up I saw the Commandant sitting patiently opposite me with a mirthful grin painted across his muzzle.

“Ha ha, you had me worried there for a moment. Thought you were going to let him railroad you.”

“Dear Celestia, what did I just do?”

“Ha, exactly what she would have wanted. I can’t wait to tell her about it, she will be so proud.”

“Proud? How can you say that? I just told somepony, who is in all likely hood very important and influential, to go buck himself!!”

“Look, that pony, whoever he was, stormed into your office and began making demands. What do you think would happen if he tried to do that to the Princess?”

“I don’t know.”

“I’ll tell you what. He would find out why the Sun rises at her command. And why should it be any different with you?” I didn’t have an answer so I just shrugged. “Listen, I have already told you that you are only one step below the princess. When she takes a day to herself who do you think is going to be in charge around here? You are.” He said pointing a hoof at my muzzle. “You can’t let other ponies try to intimidate you. That is a fine precedent you have just set and within a day every noble will have heard about it. At the very least none of them will try that again.”

I was too tired to try to argue with him about the logic of his assertions. Plus I had a nagging feeling that he was right. My head slumped again, I really needed to get some sleep.

“You look terrible.” I nickered, too tired to do more, “Did Stars keep you up all night again.”

I sat up with a jolt, my face contorted in horror. “Wh-what?”

“Celestia be praised, it is true isn’t it?”

“I-I don’t know what your talking about.” I said trying to down play my reaction and knowing it was a waste of effort.

“You stallion you. I don’t believe it.”

I buried my head under a pile of papers trying to ignore the white pegasus in front of me.

“I didn’t really listen when I heard Lancer and Horsehock neighing on about the Arch-Magi having stallion, I had her picked out as a fillyfooler anyways, but when they mentioned Celestia’s new assistant I knew they had to be pulling my reins.” This was the first time I had to resist the urge to hoof the Commandant in the muzzle, though it wouldn’t be the last. “Oh, grow up. You act like this is the end of the world. This is a good thing”

I looked up at him through my paper cave, sarcasm dripping from my voice, “Pray tell how this is a good thing.”

“Well between this and your little food fight with the princess you are becoming the talk of the barracks.”

“Please tell me you didn’t just come here to dig into my private life.” I said, desperately trying to change the subject.

“No, you’re right. I have business with you.” I yawned heavily into my hoof. “You see...” He droned on, but I was quickly losing consciousness.

It wasn’t until five minutes later my eyes shot open, “THE TRAINING YARD?!”

I don’t know how I managed it, but I did. The reports that had piled up from the day before were all stacked neatly in the out box along with a good chunk of the new ones. I know I fell asleep a number of times along the way, but it was hardly enough to make up for how much I had lost.

As the sun set and my office began to glow in the silvery starlight I knew that I was done for the day. I let out a whinny in resignation and packed up my desk for the night. With one last look at the too full inbox on my desk I closed the door and headed for my bed.

I felt like a zombie-pony walking the candle lit halls. My gait was unsteady, swaying from side to side. Anypony that saw me probably thought I was drunk. At least I didn’t have to see their accusing stares as my eyes were barely open. I don’t actually remember making it to my room. But I remember pushing open the door and stepping into the darkness. I also remember a single candle flaring to life next to my bed, a candle that I didn’t light.

Never before had I slept so soundly. The entire night I had the most wondrous dreams too. Alas, dreams are but dreams and every night must end. I opened my eyes to the total darkness of my quarters.

I could just make out the nightstand beside my bed. ‘The Adventures of Daring Do and the Dragons Tooth’ with twenty or so strips of paper sticking out the side sat next to a silver candle stick. One does not grow up with a Phoenix Prize winning mother and not pick up an interest in fiction novels. It has been my habit for years to read the most popular stories and find the flaws and breaks in continuity. I never bothered the authors with my findings. Not after the first time I read one of my mothers manuscripts. I felt so bad about that, it was a good story after all, but a day later she threw it away and started a whole new book. I wasn’t allowed to read them anymore.

I moved to roll out of bed only to be pulled deeper in. Two hooves were wrapped around my chest, not unlike a foal holds a teddy bear. I tried one more time, but that only cause her grip to tighten making it hard for me to breath. She snuggled in closer burying her face in my mane.

I gave up trying to leave. I feared that if she squeezed any tighter it would crack my ribs and I was unwilling to wake her up. Besides, I had a good two hours before the sun was due to rise. Resigning myself I relaxed and closed my eyes. I laid there and allowed myself to simply feel her presence. The slow rhythm of her heart matched my own. Her chest rose and fell against my back in the even pace of a deep sleep. I became suddenly aware of her scars. It was odd that I had not noticed them before. There were so many of them just beneath her fur.

Not for the first time I thought about how backwards we were. She was the battle hardened commander. The warrior fighting Minotaurs and Manticores. Risking her life to save those she lead. And I was a scribe. I spent all day reading books and signing reports. Too afraid to even step a hoof outside the castle walls. And yet here she was, laying next to me, holding me in a vice grip. I stopped thinking for once and let the beating of her heart and the sound of her breath lull me back to sleep.

I once again stood on the sandy beach looking out to the ocean. The waves pulling the water out just to throw it back at the shore, coming within inches of my hooves but never quite reaching. I was about to lay down when I felt her head press against my neck. Nudging me softly she turned me away from the water and we began to walk down the shore.

I filled my lungs with the salty sea air. It was so much different than what I was used to. The ocean shrank turning into a small stream. I saw a small white and pink bridge up ahead decorated with pink hearts. We crossed it and followed the path into a quiet little town. It wasn’t until we left the town that we finally came to a stop. The forest before us was dark and twisted almost corrupted. For the first time I began to worry. I did not like the look of those trees.

That all melted away when she stepped closer bringing us flank to flank. When she took a step forward I matched her stride unwilling to lose that contact. As we wandered into the woods the air began to fill with the sounds of animals that I had never heard before. I saw glowing eyes watching us from the shadows. For all that I felt safer than I had ever felt in the palace. It wasn’t until we came to a dilapidated rope bridge that I realized where I was. The Everfree Forest.

I could see the ruins of an old castle across the chasm. Shattered spires reached for the sky and broken walls lay scattered across the forest floor. I looked at my companion, concern etched into my features. She only smiled and pointed, not at the castle, but at the chasm before us. I followed her hoof as she turned around and pointed at the trees behind us. It wasn’t until she reared up and with her two fore-hooves motioned to the stars and moon above that I realized what she had been trying to show me. I was outside.

A cold breeze across my back brought me out of my dreams. I immediately sat up and looked around the room, worried that I had missed my chance. My eyes fell upon her only a few feet from the bed working her self into her SRSC uniform. I sighed in relief, there was still time.

“It was not my intention to disturb your slumber. You still have time before the Princess requires your attendance.”

I looked out the tiny window as I stood, about an hour till sunrise. “Do you have to leave now?”

There was a tinge of disappointment in her voice, “Chronicle...”

“I m-mean can you st-stay a little longer?”I gritted my teeth, fighting the stutter. “J-just till the afternoon?”

She stood there for a moment with an unreadable expression. When she finally closed the distance between us she asked “Why?”

I was silent, unable to meet her eyes. I don’t know why this was so hard for me. She lifted my head forcing me to look into her eyes. “Tell me.”

“The Commandant came to see me yesterday...” I told her everything. I told her about the gossip, about Nightrunner wanting me to meet his guards; then I told her about my dream, about the beach and the small town, about the Everfree forest and the castle ruins. “...I can’t do this alone.”


Part 4: Under the Noonday Sun

My hooves pounded on the stone floor echoing down the halls. I felt my saddlebags beating against my flank only held on by a single strap. My heart raced and my lungs burned as I sped toward my goal. I ground my teeth silently every time I came upon another pony, having to slow down to a fast trot until I was clear. The night sky was beginning to brighten and I refused to be late again.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that I wasn’t going to make it. I ignored it the same way I ignored the burning in my legs and chest. I began to wonder what had happened to my simple boring life. I liked boring, boring wasn’t nearly as painful. It was then that I realized I was smiling. My entire body burning from exertion, the constant fear of failing eating away in the back of my mind, and I was SMILING.

The thought distracted me enough that I didn’t slow down in time to make the next turn. Instead I slid across the stone tiles crashing bodily into a windowsill. Slightly dazed I had to shake my head to clear my vision. With a glance out the window I saw the first rays of sunlight break the horizon.

“Horse apples!” I took off running down the final stretch to the Princess’ study.

When the pegasus guards spotted me careening down the hall they quickly assumed defensive postures and prepared to repel the advancing threat. Quickly deciding that I liked my teeth and bones I put on the brakes as best I could. My hooves and hind quarters slid across the floor a good five yards before coming to a complete stop. I gave them my best smile, which honestly wasn’t very good, and prayed that they recognized me. I let go of a breath that I hadn’t realized I was holding once they visibly relaxed. Without a word they opened the door and motioned for me to enter.

I moved through the open portal and stepped into the room only to find the Princess sitting behind her desk. She looked down at me staring over a pair of half-frame glasses that I had never seen before, or since. She looked nothing so much like a disapproving teacher preparing to scold a tardy student.

The Princess finally broke eye contact, “Are you ready to begin?”

“Y-yes, your majesty.” I floated the brown folder out of my saddlebags. “The Chef has requested an increase in the weight of leeks ordered for next month. Mrs. Ladle seems to believe that they are a vital part of a ponies diet that has been severely lacking of late. However, the increase she is suggesting would require cutting into the funds for other food stuffs.”

The Princess looked up at me with an odd tilt in her head, “I am sure that Ladle knows what she is about.”

I nodded sheepishly making notes in my folder,“The Commandant is requesting permission to begin a new academy in preparation for a number of retirements expected later this year.”

“How many young colts is he requesting?”

“Twenty, your majesty.”

“He can have ten.”

We moved through my folder like clockwork. The only issues I brought to her attention were ones that changed or required her direct approval. I checked items off my lists and made notes next to any item that she wanted altered.

“Finally, Ambassador Kara has informed me that she received a reply from the Emperor and believes that you will now be able to reach an agreement. She seeks an audience this evening.”

“Ask her to meet me here just after sunset. I will expect you to be here as well."

"Yes, your majesty." I bowed stepping back towards the door. She waited until I had turned my back about to step out the door to speak up.

"And, Mr. Chronicle, the next time you see the Arch-Magi please inform her that although I do not mind her making use of my assistant she is not to keep him from his duties."

“Urk.” My jaw moved up and down, but no intelligible sound came out. I was frozen solid, except for my face which burned like a Celestia’s Sun. I was filled with an overwhelming desire to be anywhere else, preferably somewhere no other pony would ever find me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the two pegasus guards on either side of the doorway, their heads bobbing ever so slightly as they did their best not to laugh.

WHAM!

My head spun around at the heavy crash behind me. Four golden horse shoes stuck up in the air where Princess Celestia had previously been sitting. When the laughter burst out from the floor behind the desk my embarrassment turned to anger. With an angry snort I lifted my head high into the air and stomped my way out of the room. This of course only lead to the guards falling over with laughter.

I stepped into my office and slammed the door breathing heavily. I had galloped here the moment I was out of sight of the guards. I stared around the room taking in the familiarity of the surroundings. In the past weeks I had spent more time in this room than anywhere else. The desk had served more times as a pillow than my pillow. I breathed a sigh of relief, peace and quiet at last.

A large pile of papers overflowed from my inbox signalling that Zipp had already been by with his morning delivery by the time I smiled, finally something to distract me from the days... stresses. I plopped down behind my desk and pulled out my quill and ink ready to begin my day.

I knew the wonderful morning of reports and paperwork wouldn’t last forever. That didn’t make the hoof-knock on my door any less depressing. Of course the muzzle pushing itself between the doors banished every other thought from my mind.

“Hello Stars.” I said with a smile

She shot me with a gaze that told me I had crossed a line causing my smile to wither and die. She stepped in wearing her SRSC uniform with the same stiff movements I had seen on my first day in the Great Hall. Immediately behind her Commandant Nightrunner stepped in wearing his red and gold uniform with silver buttons running down his chest.

“Good afternoon Commandant.”

The ghost of a smile crossed his lips, “Are you ready Chronicle?”

I wanted to hide my face behind my hoof. He had heard me and he was smart enough to notice the tension in the air. I wasn’t even sure what I had done, but it was going to bite me in the flank. Stars was not happy, Nightrunner would not let me live it down, and Princess Celestia already seemed to delight in embarrassing me. I had lost, I don’t know what game it was or who I was playing, but I had definitely lost. I nodded in acceptance of my fate, both immediate and future.

Flanked by two of the most decorated war ponies in Equestria I felt very small and weak. My eyes kept flicking to Silent Stars, hoping in vain to catch her glancing back. I was not surprised that she didn’t. When we came to the final door that lead out to the training yard Nightrunner stepped through and closed the door behind himself, leaving me alone with Silent Stars.

Her eyes softened immediately as she nuzzled me and whispered softly, “Be brave.”

A quick knock on the door signaled that the time had come. A soft pink glow surrounded the door and pulled it open. Stars motioned me forward with a nod of pride. Taking one last calming breath I stepped through the open doorway into the light of the afternoon sun.

(Made readable by Inkiepie)