• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 704 Views, 27 Comments

A Beautiful Swallow - Skijarama



Sometimes something wonderful comes into your life. Sometimes something wonderful leaves. I know how both sides of that coin can feel.

  • ...
4
 27
 704

The Summer Sun Celebration

Night had finally come around. I was one of the first in the Town hall, along with my family. We were all eagerly awaiting the arrival of everypony else so that the celebration could begin. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before or not, but I had never seen Princess Celestia outside of pictures. I glanced around, taking note of the ponies who were present. I recognized Fluttershy not far off, doing last minute, yet very hushed rehearsals with her song bird choir.

Rarity was up on the elevated platform, making sure that all was in place for Celestias big appearance. Applejack and her family were making sure that the tables weren’t missing any food. There were a couple of other early birds just standing or sitting around, talking to each other. I looked over to Noctis, who was talking absently to dad about work. If I recall, it had been a very big pain on him in recent weeks.

I noticed something. The shape of the mare in the moon. It seemed… different. I couldn’t put my hoof on it, but something just seemed off. I looked at it intently for several moments before shrugging it off and turning to talk with mom. Thankfully, things between her and I had smoothed out quite considerably. We were on friendly terms once more, something I was very happy about.

“So, then. Have you ever seen Princess Celestia? Like, up close?”

“Cant say that I have.” She replied, smiling down at me. I nodded and looked back as the door swung open. More ponies were starting to filter in. It must have been getting close to the start of the celebration. I turned my eyes towards the stage, catching a brief glimpse of the mayor behind the curtains, talking with a few other ponies. Much to my surprise, I saw a few ponies clad in golden armor step out and take up positions around the hall. My surprise faded quickly, of course.

It was Princess Celestia. She was basically Equestria’s only ruler at the time. She had a strong royal guard to defend her if things got hairy. More and more ponies were filtering in. Soon enough there wasn’t even enough room for us all, so the Pegasi took flight and hovered over our heads. Quiet whispers slowly began to build up as everypony talked to each other. My family was no exception. I’m sure I was basically the only pony not taking part in some sort of conversation.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie’s voice rang out. I am so glad she wasn’t talking to me, but I could still hear her clearly. “Isn’t this exciting?! Are you excited? ‘Cause I’m excited! I’ve never been so excited! Well, except for that time that I saw you walking into town and I went gasp, but I mean really, who can top that?!”

Thankfully, the time came. The songbird choir began to sound their song, indicating the beginning of the celebration. After a few moments of that, the spotlight shined down on the mayor, who had made her way onto the stage. She had her usual formal and official look with that oh-so warm smile.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, as Mayor of Ponyville, It is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!” She announced, and quite literally everypony began cheering. I joined in, despite my usually quiet attitude. “In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise and celebrate this, the longest day of the year!”

“And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and moon, each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria…” Cue dramatic pause. Of course.

“Princess Celestia!” The music sounded again, Rarity pulled the rope on the upper stage and the curtains pulled back. For a moment, I was frozen. My ears fell flat against my head, and a nightmarish fear began to build up inside me. I could feel it pulsing through my veins, making my whole body shake. “Remain calm, everypony. There must be a reasonable explanation.” The mayor said, fear evident in her own voice. Pinkie said something, but it was lost to the sound of my heart hammering at my ribs.

Rarity stepped out and onto the upper stage. “She’s gone!” She said to us, and a gasp shot through the whole audience.

“Ooooh, She’s goooood.” Pinkie said with the distinct sound of being impressed by something. I saw nothing impressive. Pinkie's attitude suddenly shifted, as a blood curdling scream escaped from her mouth

I felt tingles running up and down my back, cold sweat starting to form on my brow. they all saw it, too, then. The swirling cloud of blue mist, seemingly filled with stars on the upper stage. It was rising. Suddenly, it swirled one last time. My heart damn near stopped, and on instinct I took a step back. No… it couldn’t be! She was just a myth! A legend! An old pony’s tale! At least, that’s what I had believed up until now.

Nightmare Moon smirked down at us, her blue, snake-like eyes gazing hungrily at the ponies assembled in the hall. “Oh, my beloved subjects. It has been so long since I’ve seen your precious, little, sun-loving faces.” The last part, she spat out as if it was bile.

“What did you do with our Princess?!” I heard an unfamiliar voice shout. A cyan pegasus mare with a rainbow-colored mane and tail almost shot up out of the crowd and at the near-goddess level alicorn. Thankfully, she was stopped, her tail clenched firmly in the jaws of Applejack. Okay, good. I didn’t feel like seeing any blood today, if possible. Of course, given my current situation, I had the feeling I’d be seeing a lot of blood.

“Oh, am I not royal enough for you? Don’t you know who I am?!” Nightmare Moon demanded, giving her oddly elegant wings an intimidating flap. “Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?” She asked, a horrid, evil amusement making it’s way into her voice.

“I did!” I suddenly heard shouted. I looked over with just about everypony else to see a lavender unicorn mare with an indigo mane and tail glaring up at Nightmare moon. “And I know who you are. You’re the mare in the moon. Nightmare moon!” A collective gasp shot through them all. I looked at the unicorn like she was crazy. To be fair, I honestly thought she was. If she was brave or stupid enough to face off with an alicorn who I can only assume was more powerful than Celestia, I will admit, she had more balls than I did.

“Well, well, well. Somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I’m here!” Nightmare said, a frown forming on her face. The unicorn spoke more quietly, hesitating and shrinking down somewhat. Okay, her drive to preserve her life was kicking in. Good. Nightmare moon began to laugh as the pony fell silent. “Remember this day, little ponies. For it was your last. From this moment forth, the night shall last forever!” Nightmare moon began to laugh once more as her flowing mane and tail swirled into a vortex in the air, lightning blasting out of them and deafening me.

I covered my ears, and looked up. Three of the royal guards were flying up to attack her. Some of the lightning lanced out and struck them before they even got close, sending them flying across the room and into the walls. One of the blasts ricocheted, and before I knew what was going on, the stray arc of lightning hit me square in the chest, sending me flying back into a nearby table. I screamed in agony. Then it all went dark.

<^><^><^><^>

I was in pain. Agony lanced to every nerve ending in my body, causing me to scream bloody murder as I began to become aware of myself again. There was a beeping sound and voices, all muffled beyond comprehension. My ears rang loudly, drowning out anything else. I snapped my eyes open to bright light and fuzzy images. I couldn’t make anything out. It was all too blurred. A cold sensation hit my right foreleg and a sudden calm washed over me. In less than a moment, I fell back into slumber, my agonized cries fading out.

<^><^><^><^>

When I finally woke up, it was to a Ponyville clinic room. I couldn’t have been out for very long, as my chest still hurt like hell. My eyes were crusty and felt heavier than my kitchen table. I looked to my right to see Nurse Redheart looking a few things over with a distraught look on her face. She looked down at me and jumped in surprise.

“Oh, you’re awake.” She said, rubbing the back of her neck.

“Yeah… what- ACK! It hurts to talk… Ugh, what happened?” I asked, not remembering much.

“Well… Look out the window.” Redheart said weakly, stepping aside to let me see. It was night. The moon was high and full. My eyes slowly widened.

“How long has it been like this?” I asked carefully, trying not to hurt myself.

“Hours. A group of six mares wandered into the Everfree Forest shortly after Nightmare Moon left. I wish them well, but…” Redheart sighed and looked down. Her fears were totally understandable. The Everfree Forest was not a place to venture into lightly. Okay, scratch that. The everfree forest just should not be ventured into. End of discussion.

“How am I? What’s the damage?” I asked, looking straight up at a ceiling light.

“Well, all in all you should be fine. It’s a pretty painful burn, but it will heal.” Redheart assured me. I nodded slowly and closed my eyes. Words were no longer really needed at this point.

Eternal night, huh? I guess it could be worse. She easily had the power to destroy anything and everything in her path if she so chose. Living under a tyrant wouldn’t be fun, but you know what? I could live with that. I’d been through some pretty unfun experiences, so I figured I could handle it.

Slowly, I fell back to sleep. I decided I would face all of this when I was properly healed…

<^><^><^><^>

Okay, bright. Really freaking bright. Alright, seriously, what in tartarus? I opened up an eye to chew out whoever thought it was funny to shine a flashlight in my face, but only found a well lit clinic room with sunlight streaming in through the windows. About two seconds later it struck me what that meant. Sunlight. Had the moon set? I went to try and get a better look outside, but the pain still throbbing in my chest kept me from movement.

I could hear voices outside of the clinic. Lots of them, loud and happy. I could also hear loud, cheery music playing. I was officially confused. Wasn’t Equestria well and truly screwed not all that long ago? I could hear hoofsteps in the hall outside my room. They came to a stop at my door and it swung open.

And I kid not with you, I think I almost fainted. Again. My family walked in first, followed by Princess Celestia herself. What in the world? How did… Ya know what, screw it. I suddenly stopped caring as I did my best to bow from my bed. It hurt like crazy, but I managed what I hoped was a satisfactory bow of my head. I stuttered for a moment, words momentarily failing me.

“Nettle, you can stop bowing now.” Mom urged gently, rubbing my back. I flopped back into my pillow and looked at Princess Celestia with a combination of disbelief, excitement and utter terror.

“Greetings, Stinging Nettle.” She suddenly said in a voice that put my moms mothering tone to shame. I nodded my greeting, not sure if I should say anything. “Your family brought it to my attention that you were wounded by one of Nightmare Moon’s stray lightning bolts.”

“Uh, yes your majesty.” I said, looking down.

“Please, you may dispose of formalities for now.” Celestia said, causing me to relax heavily.

“Uh, yeah… I did get hit. Was anypony else wounded?” I asked, earning a shake of Celestia’s head. “Oh thank goodness.” I muttered, rubbing some of the accumulated chunks of sleep sand from my eyes.

“It shouldn’t be anything too hard to fix.” Celestia said, causing my ears to snap to attention along with my eyes as I looked up at her.

“Woah, hold on, what? No offense, but don’t you have anything more important to be doing then healing a wound that the doctors already confirmed can be healed?” I asked hastily. Celestia just smiled warmly, her horn lighting up with a golden aura.

As she went to work on fixing me up, Noctis explained to me that Celestia had grown weary of the crowd and press. She filled me in on what happened since I was hit. The elements of harmony being discovered, along with their users. I was intrigued, honestly. Then, Dad followed up on that to explain that Celestia had spotted my family away from the rest of the partying crowd, stressing out over my health.

She approached them and asked if she could be of any help. Soon enough I was basically caught up on everything. I was a little stiff from Celestia sitting right there, but I was getting used to it. My chest was healed. Celestia nodded, spoke with the doctor briefly and before I knew what was going on, I was being unhooked and sent on my merry way home.

<^><^><^><^>

Well, that was an adventure. Might I just say, life kind of got weird in Ponyville after that. It seemed like every other week or so there was something going on between Twilight Sparkle and her friends that somehow had the capacity to impact the entire town. One way or the other, I soon wrote a letter to Swallow to fill her in on what happened to me during all of this. Naturally she was worried, but I assured her I was fine.

Contrary to that, though, I wasn't fine. I wanted to pour my heart out to her more and more. but after the bolt of lightning, I didn't want to worry her about my health. So I just kept quiet about that. Of course, things are never so simple as for me to be able to just pick myself up and get better. I met that issue face-to-face when I met a griffon for the first time.

It was a sunny day with virtually no breeze. I was at the Market, in the process of picking up some food for the house. Mom had a really big dinner planned tonight and had sent me to do the buying of the food. Made sense, I guess. I hadn’t been getting out of the house anywhere near enough. I approached the nearest stand with the items on my list.

While I was waiting for my turn, as I was third or so in line, my eye caught something I had never seen outside of picture books. My jaw fell open slightly as I realized it was a griffon. She had a light brown coat and white feathers for a head. I blanked for a few minutes, just observing the rare specimen meander around. She had a cocky sort of posture, her head held high and a smirk on her face that made me uneasy. It was the kind of look that generally meant trouble.

After a minute or two, I realized that I was staring far more than I should have and approached the counter, the last pony before me taking her items and trotting away. I spent the next few minutes being picky about what to get. Mom wanted the dinner to be perfect, so I was making sure I got the best specimens possible of the desired qualities.

I payed for the goods once I had them and turned to leave for the next stand. Of course, I never really made it to the next stand because my nose basically rammed into the furred and feathered chest of a griffon. Well… crap.

“Watch where you’re goin’!” She said angrily, causing me to back up slightly.

“My apologies.” I said rubbing my now distinctly sore nose.

“What, we goin’ all formal now? ‘My apologies?’ We aren’t at some fancy canterlot party.” The griffon snorted, narrowing her eyes at me.

“You think I don’t know that? I was trying to be polite.” I groaned, shifting to walk past her. I wasn’t exactly in the best of moods that day, so the next word just kind of came out on it’s own. “Idiot.”

In hindsight, saying that was basically the stupidest thing I could have done. Before I could really process it, the griffon grabbed my tail with her front talons and took to the sky, taking me with her.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Dfatman for the help.