• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 1,163 Views, 23 Comments

A Lost Diamond in the Rough - Umi Chou



Rarity needs more gems for her new clothing line! Yet, she needs to go to a cave far from Ponyville. With Spike tagging along, the two will discover more than just gems. They'll find a young bat pony in need of their help, and their friendship.

  • ...
2
 23
 1,163

Chapter 1 - A New Friend

~A Lost Diamond in the Rough ~
Chapter 1- A New Friend

Rarity and Spike had been traveling for about an hour before stopping by the Everfree Forest. According to the map, the cave was just past the forest... Rarity and Spike stood at the entrance for almost ten minutes straight in complete silence.

They gulped.

"Surely, it'll be alright..." Rarity says with a slight shiver.

"Of course!" Spike added, laughing nervously. "It's not like there are monsters everywhere here... and who knows? Maybe it's their day off!" He says next, trying to joke around.

Rarity just gulped once more, slowly stepping into the forest. They had to cross it to get to the cave... they just had to. "Come on, we'll get to that cave and be back before night- remember?" She says, actually more to herself than Spike.

Spike followed behind, still pushing the cart so that they could carry the gems back to Ponyville. "Right! But, when are we going to have lunch? I'm starved!" He asks hoping they would have that picnic soon.

"It'll be better to have lunch there. Besides, I'm not that hungry." Rarity replied, though it was a complete lie as her stomach growled after. Spike just laughed as Rarity tried to hide it. "Maybe a little...." She admits, slightly blushing. She then groans,"...... oh! I would like to eat, but we're in the Everfree Forest now. If we stop to eat, who knows what'll pop out."

The young mare had a point, and the young dragon just sighed in reply. The two of them knew the danger the forest held, and that the food could attract it just as well. They would simply have to wait until they reached the cave.



Rarity and Spike traveled a little longer before stopping by a pond to rest. Rarity insisted her hoofs were just tired, but Spike wanted the break, too, for pushing the cart all this way. Spike sat by the cart as Rarity got out some water from her bag. She took a sip for herself before giving some to Spike.

"We'll have to share this one, I must have dropped the other one...." She said, a little embarrassed she didn't pack more. Normally she would pack more than enough, but she was in a rush. Spike shook his head though, and thanked her for the drink.

As the two rested by the pond, something deep within its waters began to awaken. Its eyes opened and peered at the two from below.... its figure began to grow bigger, the creature slowly swimming to the surface.

Spike gave back the drink, and looked over to the pond just slightly before suddenly gasping. "Rarity! Look out!"

A fierce chop came from the pond, and out came a very large crocodile. It snapped at Rarity, but thanks to Spike's warning she moved just in time!

"Oh! Why you..." Rarity gasps, checking her hair before glaring at the creature. The crocodile didn't stop its pursuit, though, as it made its way towards Rarity again. This time, its mouth wide open in order to take a quick bite.

Rarity quickly steps back to avoid another bite, and kicks her hoof into the crocodile's head. "Ha, take that!" She taunts as she hits him again. The crocodile just growls, stepping back. It stops trying to bite her and instead begins to run at her. It was more of a charge, but thanks to its large size there was no way to block it.

"Oh no you don't!" Spike adds in, quickly moving to assist Rarity. Without a second thought, he pushes the cart from before down a hill nearby. The cart sped down the hill, and its wheels simply increased its speed as it went faster. The push aimed it right for the crocodile and into the creature perfectly. The cart hit the crocodile straight on, and the two flew back. The crocodile into a nearby tree, and the cart into the pond.

Small stars swirled around the crocodile's head as it was clearly knocked out from the blow.

Spike only smiled,"Ha! Did ya see that Rarity?" He bragged, hopping over to her.

Rarity only stares into the pond... her cart sinking deep into its waters. "My cart..." She says with a deep sigh.

Spike looks to the pond, and back to her. His eyes sadden, though there wasn't much he could do about it now. "Oh Rarity, I didn't mean... it's just-t... I promise, I'll g-get Twilight and we'll be able to get it out." He stutters, trying to find a way to help somehow.

Rarity just shook her head, looking away from the pond. "No, it's fine! I needed a new cart anyhow." She says, not wanting to let this upset him. Though, she was quite upset herself.

Spike just pouted, knowing how Rarity was about this. "Alright.. I'll help you get a new one when we get back. I promise!" He adds, hoping maybe he could ask Applejack if she had a spare he could give Rarity.

Rarity gets her bag from a nearby tree where she had left it. Luckily, she didn't leave it in the cart. She took out the map, and checked to see if they were closer to the cave or Ponyville. Yet, her horn began to give off a low glow in reply. She could feel it! The gems within the cave.. they were close!

"It seems our trip isn't over just yet, Spike!" She says in an excited tone. She began to move her head to where her horn lit up the brightest where, most likely, the source lied. "This way!" With that, the two of them left the pond and continued on to the cave.


It was hard for Spike to keep up since they were resting before, so Rarity let him on her back. He only smiled as the two saw the cave up ahead. Rarity could just feel the gems, and could see some within the entrance of the cave already. "This is perfect, Rarity! I'll dig them up right away. I'll carry them myself, if I have to." Spike says excitedly.

Rarity stops at the entrance, and lets Spike jump off before moving her head just slightly. "There's some.. there!" She says, walking over and pointed with her hoof at the spot.

"On it!" Spike soon replied, going over as he began to dig. He used his tail to shovel first, then his claws for the rest of the way. The hole grew and soon revealed three different gems from within. He held them up for Rarity to see, and just smiled in excitement.

Rarity looked at the gems in Spike's hands, but didn't see a sapphire. Hmm.. "Wonderful, but we won't be able to carry much on the way back. We'll have to get what we need. Here, put them in my bag for now." She says, looking into the cave. Her horn gave off another glow as she levitated her bag towards Spike. In turn, Spike putting all three gems into the bag.

"How many should we get?" Spike asked her.

"I'm not sure, but we should get the kinds I need.. we'll have to return again with the others next time." Rarity replied, slowly stepping into the cave. She levitated her bag back onto her back before her horn glowed again to signal where more gems lied.

"Over here.." She said to Spike, moving deeper into the cave. Spike simply followed along, readying his tail.



Though... a soft sound stopped them both.

.... it was the sound of... crying?


The two looked at each other before looking around, and soon left to go to the source of the sound. A figure sat in the shadows of the cave as the sound began to grow. It was a young mare by its tone, and its crying was simply miserable.

The poor thing! thought Rarity as she moved closer to the figure. "Excuse me..? Miss...?" She called out, trying to get her attention.

The sound stopped as the figure rose its head to the two. It slowly retreating deeper into the shadows as if to back away.

"Hey, don't worry. We can help!" Spike says next, calling out to her as well.

The figure just sniffed as it stayed within the shadows, still scared of the two.

Rarity just smiled,"Oh pardon my manners... I'm Rarity, and this is Spike." She says pointing her hoof to herself first then Spike. "Pleased to meet you!" Spike adds upon being introduced.

The figure could be seen slowly stepping out of the shadows just a little. Its head looking to Rarity, then Spike.

"And what's your name...?" Rarity says next, reaching her hoof kindly toward the pony to help her up.



The figure is hesitant at first, then slowly reaches its hoof towards Rarity. As Rarity helps her up, the figure fully reveals herself to be a young bat pony. A slight gasp escapes Rarity and Spike, surprised to see that this was no ordinary mare.

"I'm Jaden..." She says, giving a small smile towards the two.