• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 1,721 Views, 75 Comments

Young Gods - Eathlome



When four gods leave their dimension their bodies must reform to match the new lifess they now live

  • ...
3
 75
 1,721

Names and Introductions

Young Gods

Ch. 6: Names and Introductions


Key:
Mat
John
Diane
Aurora
All of the above


Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie were resting under some trees on Sweet Apple Acres. They were also having a unique discussion.
"So Twilight, now that we're all together, will you explain what's going on? You're cutting into my nap-time." Rainbow Dash said.
"Yeah, what's with all the little 'uns?"
Pinkie took in a huge breath, and Twilight promptly shoved a hoof in her mouth.
"I think I should be the one to explain, Pinkie."
Pinkie nodded vigorously and Twilight removed her hoof.
"Okie dokie lokie."
Twilight paused for a moment, organizing her thoughts.
"Well, Spike woke me up this morning, saying there was a problem. So I headed down to see what was going on, and the library was a battlefield, literally. These four were having a miniature war, using some really powerful animation magic."
"But only one of them is a unicorn."
"I'm not sure how it was happening entirely, but each of them was definitely using magic. After I interrupted the battle...game? I guess that's what it was, after I interrupted it they all stopped and ran over to me. I have know idea where they came from, or who they are."
"Well why didn't you ask them?"
"I did, Rarity, but they don't seem to have names, or if they do they can't remember them."
"And that's terrible, which is why I decided that we should gather all you up and give them names, because we can't call them 'you', 'them', and 'the little ponies' forever. And then after we name them we can have a NAME-DAY PARTY!"
"Pinkie, ah think you might be a bit ahead of yerself there. I there anything else, Twi?
"MOMMY!" the four babies shouted.
"Oh, that's right, they all think that I'm there mother."
"Well this is quite strange, if I do say so. Twilight, have you thought about asking around Ponyville, or perhaps sending a letter to the Princess? It would be nice to find out where they came from, and if what you say is true, and they can all use magic, wouldn't that be something the Princess would be interested in, or know something about it?"
"Well I would have, except somepony," Twilight glared at Pinkie, " has been dragging me around town all morning!"
"Don't be such a mopy-dopy Twilight. You can send the Princess a letter, right after we've named th..."
Pinkie was cut short when all of the leaves in the tree they were under suddenly fell on them.
"What in tarnation?" said Applejack, spitting out a mouthful of dead leaves, with more leaves falling every few seconds. All of the little ones were giggling, as the pegasus would tap the tree, withering all the leaves, then the unicorn would poke it and all the leaves would grow back.
"Wha...?" said all present, minus Twilight.
"Ugh...can you please stop that?"
"Twilight, I think we might want to hurry up on the naming business before they start doing anything else."


Finally! I thought they would never give them names.
Don't be so impatient, we really can't start teaching them anything until they are named anyways.
I just hope they come up with some decent names.


"How about Sun Dial? Or how about Time Turner?"
"We could call her Grave stone, but that sounds so ghastly, maybe something like Dusk Ghost, hmm..."
"Ohh, his cutie mark is dice, just like in some of my board games! Lets try Six Sides, no that's silly. Oh, I got it! Odd Chance!"
"I-I-I have an idea for her...we could call her Early Spring...if that's alright with you...eep."


I have no words to describe this.
Yeah...I really hope we don't get any of those choices.
Well I don't think mine is that bad.
Lucky you, the rest of us are kinda getting the short end of the stick with these names.
Just wait a bit longer, I'm sure they'll come up with some great names soon.


About thirty minutes and two-hundred names later


"Alright," Twilight said with a huff, "We FINALLY figured out what we're going to call them. One of you come up here."
The golden coated young colt got up and walked over to Twilight
"Your name is going to be Golden Sands, do you like it?"
Golden Sands made a giant smile and gave Twilight a hug.
"I guess that's a yes. Alright who wants to come up next."
After some deliberation, the dark purple pegasus clambered over to the group.
"Alright, how does Midnight Specter sound to you?"
After a moments thought Midnight Specter nodded and nuzzled Twilight, before going over to join Golding Sands, where he was sitting.
'OK, only two more names left.' Twilight thought before saying, "Who's going to be next?"
The unicorn looked at the other nameless pony, who nodded, before she ambled over to Twilight.
"How do you feel about, Blooming Orchid?"
Blooming Orchid gave a "squee" and gave Twilight a hug, before hurrying over to Golden Sands and Midnight Specter.
Twilight looked back to see the last unnamed pony waiting expectantly in front of her. Twilight cleared her throat before continuing.
"What do you think about...Lucky Roll?"
After a moment, Lucky Roll shrugged and nodded his head, then ambled over to the rest of his family.
Twilight let out a deep breath, and turned to look at her friends.
"Well, that took a while. Now, Pinkie, will you let me write a letter to Princess Celestia?"
"Okie, dokie, lokie."
Twilight headed off towards the library to find Spike, with Golden Sands, Midnight Specter, Blooming Orchid, and Lucky Roll following close behind.
"They're just like ducklings." Fluttershy said.


"TWILIGT, TWILIGHT!"
Twilight heard her name being called as she approached the library. She turned around to see Spike running to her, panting heavily.
"Twilight, " gasped Spike, taking large amounts of air, "I've been looking all over for you."
"Why Spike? Did something happen?"
"Well a while after you...left...I got a letter from the Princesses, saying that they're both going to be coming to see if you recovered from the 'incident' yet, and if you can answer their questions."
"This is perfect, now I don't need to send a letter to Celestia, I can just ask her when she gets here. That would be...when, Spike?"
"In about twenty minutes."
"Tw-twenty minutes?"
With this Twilight dashed to the library and peered inside, the remains of the mini-war still scattered about. She desperately began to clean and tidy the library to get it into a better condition, while being watched by four amused newly named ponies, and one exasperated dragon. After about ten minutes of Twilight's antics Golden Sands, Midnight Specter, Blooming Orchid, and Lucky Roll decided to take a nap. It had been a very exciting day, and they had expended allot of their energy playing. They all found a relatively out of the way corner of the library and curled up together and went to sleep.


Well it's about time!
The four ponies looked around. They were in a strange place, it looked like the library, but there were no books, or anypony else, for that matter. Looking the the windows all that could be seen was darkness.
W-whose there?
We are.
And who are you?
I suppose you could say that we are...your family, we are your brothers and sisters.
The ponies felt a rush of reassurance, somehow knowing that these, whatever they were, were telling the truth.
Well then, where are we, who are you, and why are we here?
You are in your minds, and converged dreamscape created by the combination of our psyches, and we already told you we are your kin.
She meant what are your names.
Well, you can call us Mat, Diane, John, and Aurora. You are here so that we may teach you.
Teach us what?
About your power, how to control it, what you can do.

With this the library split into four, isolating each of the ponies with a strangely familiar glowing presence.

Golden Sands, you are like me, a God of Time. You can control the speed at which things happen, the personal time flow around each individual, and even stop time in it's entirety. Eventually you will be able to view all that has happened, and all that could happen.

Blooming Orchid, my sister, you are a Goddess of Life. You can cause plants to bloom in barren earth, you can shape and move them to your will, you can heal wounds, fix bones, cleanse minds, cure disease, and eventually revive the recently deceased.

Midnight Specter, during your life you may be feared, hated, even attacked. I understand this and will offer what comfort I may, for you are a Goddess of Death. You can inflict injury, cause famine, plague, and war. You can give rest to the troubled, and and an end to the wicked. You can speak to spirits, and visit the realms of the dead. You have stewardship over all the bodies of the dead, and they will serve you. Finally you will be able to resurrect the dead, but only just.

Lucky Roll, my dear brother, my closest kin, you are very powerful, but your power is unwieldy. This is because you are a God of Entropy, better known as natural chaos, or even simply luck, but far greater. You can tip the balance of fortune, affect chance and causality, overrule the decreed fate of another, even a fate decreed by another god. Your power is rooted in balance and unbalance, give and take, order and chaos, yin and yang. You could survive falling down a flight of three hundred stairs, and walk away with no injuries, then in a few minutes trip over a pebble and break your leg. Your power is unpredictable at first, but with practice you will be able to feel you way through it's patterns, and completely control it.

The library rushed back together and for a moment there was silence, while the four digested this new, yet ancient, knowlage.

Whoa

"Whoa" indeed, that was your first lesson. Now I believe that you should rest, you will be having a very important meeting soon.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late update, I was taken by a sudden combination of homework, a cold, and lethargy, resulting in writer's block, but it's all good now.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter.

Please criticize, comment, and correct.

That is all, good night.

or day, or afternoon, depending on when you read this.