• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 2,190 Views, 39 Comments

R3B0UNd - Page Turner



Octavia has kicked Vinyl out. Again. Can Pinkie Pie cheer up the brokenhearted DJ?

  • ...
3
 39
 2,190

Date With Disaster

Part 4
Date with Disaster

Vinyl Scratch blinked her eyes in confusion. The last thing she remembered was thinking that she was going to be late meeting Pinkie Pie, and now here she was in front of Sugar Cube Corner with no memory of traveling more than a step between here and her hotel room. It was as though she had teleported, or perhaps Interrupted the space-time continuum. It was unsettling, but also kind of awesome. All of these thoughts were driven out of her mind, however, when a certain cotton candy colored character burst out of the door.

“Hi Vine-y! I’m excited! Are you excited? ‘cause I’m excited! I’m super duper excited! Excited!” Pinkie Pie rattled, bouncing up and down in excitement.

I wonder if she’s excited. Vinyl thought. “yeah, I’m really excited to, sorry if i’m not quite so, um, energetic about it though.”

“That’s okay! I’m used to having more energy than everypony else, I think It’s the Sugar, I eat a lot of sugar because I work in a bakery, but even if I didn’t, I’d still eat a lot of sugar because I love sugar so so much! Do you Like sugar Vine-y? Of course you do, everypony loves sugar! It’s a good thing Diabetes doesn’t exist in Equestria, otherwise we’d all be in trouble!”

“What’s ‘die-oh-bee-dees’?” Vinyl asked perplexedly.

“Oh, It’s Nothing, just something that doesn’t exist. Ooh! Ooh! I brought cupcakes! you Want some cupcakes Vine-y? I made them especially for you!”

“Pinkie baby! Slow down a bit! I’d love to have some of your cupcakes, but let’s at least wait until we get to the park.” Vinyl reasoned.

Pinkie Pie stopped. “You just called me ‘baby.’”

Vinyl removed her shades, looking right into Pinkie’s big blue eyes. “Is that a problem?”

“Umm...” For the first time in a long time, gazing into Vinyl’s beautiful magenta eyes, Pinke found herself speechless. “No, I think it’s sweet!” she said finally. “Can I call you ‘sugar?’”

“You can call me whatever you like Pinkie baby.”

“‘Cause I really love sugar.”

“Does that mean you love me?”

“OH NO! NOT AGAIN!”

Vinyl and Pinkie were jolted back to reality by the anguished shout coming from the nearby bushes. Looking over to see what caused the disturbance, the pair caught a glimpse of a white unicorn with a ratty puke-green mane running away as full speed.

“Was that Rarity?” The pink pony questioned.

“Looked like it.” Vinyl replied, a bit miffed that their tender moment had been ruined. “It also looked like Trixie got a hold of her again.”

Pinkie shrugged “Oh well, I'm sure she'll get it back to normal again soon.”

++++++

In the bushes that rarity had been hiding in, a purple unicorn and an orange earth pony exchanged looks of panic.

“This is not good.” Twilight whispered. “It's already starting.”

“Twi, Do y’all really think this is the best idea?” Applejack whispered back. “I mean, Pinkie may be insane, but she ain't dumb, I'm sure if we just sat 'er down and explained things-”

“No.” Twilight cut her off. “We don't know what will happen, telling her would only upset her.”

“An' messin' up her date won't?”

“It will, but at least she won't be upset at us.” The purple unicorn pondered that for a moment. “That... sounded worse than I meant it...”

“Explain.”

Twilight rolled her eyes in frustration, why did she always have to be the exposition pony? “The chaos energy seems to be triggered by spikes of strong emotion, such as love, joy, or anger, if one of those emotions has a focus, the chaos energy becomes more dangerous, for example, right now Pinkie is focusing her love on Vinyl. if she's upset about something, that will only affect things the way Pinkie normally does, however, if she's upset at somepony...”

“I get it.” AJ whispered. “But I still don't know how your plan is gonna work without Rarity.”

“It's not.” Twilight admitted. “we will have to find a substitute.”

++++++

Pinkie Pie and Vinyl Scratch arrived at the Ponyville park, followed at a distance by Twilight Sparkle and Applejack. Vinyl picked out a spot and spread out a blue and white picnic blanket. Pinkie Pie then began to pull snacks out of a basket that nopony would have believed could hold so much.

“Oh, Vine-y, just so you know, Twilight and Applejack are following us.” pinkie stated matter-of-factly.

“How can you tell?”

“My flank is itchy, that means I'm being followed!”

“How do you know who it is?”

“I read the first sentence of this scene!”

“You did what now?”

“I mean... Um, I saw them a couple of times! Yeah, that was it!”

Vinyl knew that she was lying, but she decided not to press, after all, everypony knew it was pointless to try to understand pinkie's weird abilities. Besides, she noted. I seem to be developing a few powers of my own. “whatever you say honey.”

“Ooh! I like honey too! It's like liquid sugar!”

++++++

Elsewhere in the park, a mint colored unicorn and a cream earth pony sat side by side on a bench.

“I honestly don't know how you can sit like that Lyra, It doesn't look comfortable at all.” said Bon-Bon in a High pitched whiny voice.

“And I don't know how you can change your voice every time you talk.” Lyra Heartstrings replied. “I still don't know which is your real voice, and I live with you.”

“I have to stay in practice for when my voice talents are finally discovered and I become a famous voice actress.” Bon-Bon's replied in a flawless cockney accent.

Lyra smirked “Voice actresses don't get to be famous.”

“Sure they do,” Bon-Bon argued, her voice now had a southern twang similar to that of the Apple family “everpony knows who Marked Hammy is.”

“Who?”

“He played the Jester on Batmane the animated series.”

“Oh, that guy.”

“And what about Tara Streams from that little filly's show you watch so religiously?”

“'My Little Human' is not a little filly's show!”

“It so is.”

“you watch it too!”

“only because you make me!”

The two mare's argument was cut short by the pop of a teleportation spell. They looked over to see Twilight Sparkle standing behind their bench.

“Lyra, I need your help.”

“what's up Twilight?” asked the minty mare.

“Equestria is in danger.” Twilight informed her. That statement earned her the full attention of both ponies, who turned fully around to face her.

“I knew it! The humans are invading aren't they?” Lyra said excitedly.

Twilight gave her a glare. “Lyra, I've told you that there's no such thing as humans, you really watch that little filly's show way too much.”

“Told you it was a little filly's show.” Bon-Bon muttered.

++++++

Having filled the roommates in on the situation, Twilight returned to the bush with her new helpers in tow. “How's it going AJ?” She asked quietly.

“They’re lookin' into each others' eyes again.” Applejack reported.

“Oh dear.”

just then all the bushes in the park turned into bunches of balloons.

“Trees!” Applejack whispered quickly, leaping behind a nearby tree as the balloons that were concealing them started to float away. The others picked up quickly enough, and moved to positions behind other nearby trees.

It's getting worse, Twilight thought. We need to move now! She looked up into the branches of the tree nearest the lovestruck couple, who hadn't even noticed the transfiguration that had just occurred. She was relieved to see Rainbow Dash hovering overhead. The unicorn gave the pegusus a signal. Go! Dash snapped a salute before tucking her wings and falling into a vertical dive.

++++++

Vinyl's tail twitched, and she suddenly knew beyond a doubt that something was about to fall. She could tell by looking at pinkie that she felt it too. Without a moment's hesitation, the DJ leaped forward, tackling her date to the ground just as a multicolored projectile crashed to the ground right where the two had been sitting.

“That did not feel good.” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“I bet it didn't! Are you okay?” Vinyl asked with concern.

“Oh! I think I sprained my wing! The pain!” dash moaned, a tad melodramatically.

“It's lucky you didn't break your neck.” Vinyl noted.

“Yeah! Paralytic pegusus may be fun to say, but it's not fun at all for realsies!” Pinkie added.

Rainbow dash made a show of trying to get up. “OW! It hurts so bad I can't move!”

Pinkie looked at Vinyl “We need to get Dashie to the hospital Pronto!”

“Agreed! I'll go call an ambulance, You stay with Dash!” Vinyl said, rushing of to find a public phone.

Behind her tree, Twilight rubbed her hooves together with glee, so far things were going perfectly. She looked over at Applejack and nodded. Taking her cue, the apple farmer ran ran over to the place where Rainbow had fallen.

“Dash! Are y'all alright? I seen you falling...”

“My Wing is ruined!” Dash Cried. “I'll never fly again! Oh the Anguish! Oh the Trauma!”

Applejack raised an eyebrow “Ain't you milkin' this a bit much?”

“You say that, but how would you feel if you broke your wings?”

“AJ doesn't have wings silly!” Pinkie pointed out.

++++++

While Pinkie was distracted by AJ and RD, Twilight made her way around to Lyra.

“Are you ready?” The purple unicorn asked.

Lyra nodded. “Let's do it.”

Power transference is an advanced unicorn skill, it allows for a powerful magic user to give a portion of her power to a weaker comrade, allowing that unicorn to perform spells that they would normally be incapable of. Twilight had never attempted this before, there was a chance that she could transfer too much of her energy and pass out, but she was confident that she could pull it off. She lowered her head and touched horns with Lyra. She felt the familiar surge of magic as she cast the spell. As the spell did it's work twilight felt the energy leave her body, it made her feel weak and tired and a little bit sick. Conversely, Lyra had never felt more energetic in her life, it felt as though the blood in her veins had been replaced with electrified liquid fire. She felt Like she could take on the world, and then go take on the human world too for good measure.

Twilight ended the spell, then immediately hit the ground, exhausted.

“You okay?” Lyra asked, concern in her voice. “you look like you just ran a mareathon.”

“I’m... fine.” twilight huffed. “The spell... took more... out of me... than I anticipated.”

“Can you still do the disguise spell?”

“one minute... I need to catch my breath.”

“‘kay”

++++++

“Scratchy!”

Vinyl turned to see a particular pink pony prancing over to her. “what’s up Pinkie?”

“I just came to tell you that you don’t need to call the hospital, Dashy’s fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Sure I’m sure! Pinkie Pie is always sure! I AM Pinkie Pie as you can clearly see, and not Lyra disguised as her-that is, me. That would just be silly!”
Vinyl looked a bit confused for a moment. “why would you even say...” she began, then seemed to remember who she was talking to. “You are so random.”
Lyra-disguised-as-Pinkie breathed a sigh of relief.

++++++

“You know, All of a sudden I feel a lot better!” Rainbow Dash said, flexing her wings to show that they were in their proper condition.
“Ya’ll sure?” Applejack asked. “It sure did look like ya’ll took quite a tumble.”
“Yeah! I’m good as new!” Dash insisted.
“Okay!” Pinkie proclaimed. “I’ll go tell Scratchy not to call the hospital!”
“No need.” a voice called. “I’m right here.” Everypony turned to look as a pony who was clearly Vinyl Scratch approached. Pinkie’s left rear hoof tapped once Involuntarily. She frowned, she’d only felt this particular pinkie sense once before, at the royal wedding in Canterlot. She hadn’t known what it meant then, but now she had a hunch.
“The phone wasn’t working, so I came back. I’m glad to see it was nothing serious.” Twilight-as-Vinyl explained.
“Hey Vine-y!” Pinkie Said, the image of unsuspecting lack of suspicion. No use making a scene just yet.