• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 1,346 Views, 27 Comments

Dash - Ranger-Redstar

  • ...
10
 27
 1,346

Like Watching Paint Dry

Chapter One


I lay in bed until my Alarm clock wakes me up to the point where I have to drag myself out of bed. I put on my work clothes and grabbed my wallet and cell phone. I would drive but in this economy I cant afford a car. Before I began my long trek to work as I walk I look at the once great city that is now filled with graffiti and trash. I look to see broken down buildings that went out of business along time ago, and homeless people living on the sidewalk. It’s a sad sight to see but im just grateful that I have a house to live in. I walked along ways away until I came to my workplace. I work at a local Internet café where not a whole of exciting things happen. Just telling people to be quiet and to keep track of people coming in and out

"Ok Rick, that's the end of your shift. You can pick up your paycheck on Friday."

"Later." I mumbled as I walked out the back door, I wasn't very excited about my paycheck either (if you could call it that). It was only fifty dollars, only enough to buy the things I need, like food and clothes, I could never buy anything luxurious, all I had was my Iphone, and my old house with no hot water or electricity. My life was like watching paint dry, it never got any more interesting, it was just the same thing every day.

Even though it seems like a tough life, I've found something that keeps me going, something that makes me happy.

So there I was on my lunch break, when I decided to surf YouTube on my Iphone with the cafe's free wifi. When I discovered the show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, at first it seemed rather girly and childish, but I was soon hooked onto it. I showed it to one of my colleagues at work called Alfred; it was the same for him. At first he constantly made fun of me for watching it, then I got him to watch a few episodes, now we won't stop talking about it.

A door opening interrupts the memory, Alfred was standing there, red in the face and panting, he must have been running pretty fast.

"Hey Rick, they've just confirmed season three for My Little Pony!" He said.

"Really? another season, flippin’ sweet!" I exclaimed, we had both been searching on the internet for awhile now for the announcement.

"Bad news is, they've only got thirteen episodes..."

Alfred always pointed out the negatives in life, in any situation, it got on my nerves and I really wanted to punch him in the face but what can you do?

"Well, better thirteen episodes than one I suppose"

I put my phone in my pocket and headed to the back door of the cafe, before I put my hand on the handle I turned around to Alfred.

"Oh by the way, Scott's ill so you have to take his shift after yours so, toodaloo!"

I did my best 'Troll face' and left the cafe, chuckling. I wonder how long it would take for him to realise that Scott's shift was yesterday. I was a few meters away from the cafe when he figured it out. The door opened and his head popped out.

"Scott's shift was yesterday!"

Without stopping I turned my head to him and made another 'Troll face'.

"Trolololololol, trolololol!" I shouted as I left the café.

Even when he slammed the door shut and I was yards away from the cafe I could still hear him laughing, it felt nice to make people laugh. I guess Pinkie Pie's personality had rubbed off on me.

I crossed the road and walked right into the dark street where I lived. I was the only one who lived on this street; I think the last person moved out about two months ago. I could understand why everyone had left, half the street lamps were broken, there was trash on the walkways and on the road, and a skyscraper three blocks towered so high the it pretty much engulfed the whole street in shadow.

I went up to my house, pulled the door handle, and entered. I never locked the door, why would I need to? I had nothing to steal, there was hardly any food in the house, and the only thing worth taking was my phone, which was in my pocket. I head up to my room, I don't bother to turn the light on, it was 10:30pm and I was up late the night before. I lay in my bed and gazed out of the window, hardly any of the stars are visible, thanks to all the pollution in the atmosphere.

I noticed a star that stood out from all the others. It was bright blue, and was bigger than all the other stars that I could see. It seemed to be getting closer, and then it moved. It wasn't a star, but what the hell was it? It was getting closer and closer, it was heading right for my street, I began to panic. I would normally hide in the basement if something large were coming down towards me from space. But I couldn't move, I just lay there staring at this unknown object hurtling towards me. As it came closer I realised it wasn't very big, nor was it falling very fast, then I saw it wriggling in the air, it was alive. It was flapping its wings desperately trying to slow its fall, it came into earshot, and by what I could hear it was female.

It landed between in an alleyway four houses away; even from inside my room I heard it land with a loud crashing noise.

I instantly jumped out of bed, put my shoes and ran downstairs, I grab my flashlight and head outside.

It was dark outside due to the streetlights being broken, and it was pouring bucket loads rain. I could barely see five feet in front of me, the rain hit my head hard, I went back inside and grabbed my umbrella, as I headed back outside the rain was even heavier. After stumbling around in the cold, wet, darkness I eventually find the alleyway where the, 'thing' had crashed. I fearfully took a few steps into the pitch-black alley; my flashlight didn't help much as it only covered three meters in front of me. I wasn't scared of the dark, but I'll admit that at this point I was terrified at what the object like creature that fell from the sky was, could it have been an alien?

My eyes eventually adjusted to the darkness, and I can see a little further ahead of me now. I plucked up the courage to venture into the alley, I look side to side trying to find the creature.

"Is anyone there?" I whisper nervously, no response.

I walk a little further, and that's when I heard a faint crying in the distance. I headed closer to the sound, to find a large bin on its side covered with an old carpet, rubbish was scattered everywhere. The crying was coming from inside, I pull away to carpet to come face to face with the alien.

But it wasn't the alien you'd see in a horror movie, nor was it an alien you’d see in a flying saucer in the sky. Or a little green man with mirror eyeballs. It was something I recognised from my favourite television show.

The creature in the bin was a sobbing, scared, distressed, cyan coloured pony, with a rainbow coloured mane and tail. The creature inside the bin was Rainbow Dash...