• Published 16th Oct 2013
  • 1,084 Views, 34 Comments

Monstrum Tome of Equus - Campanula Monkshood



If you could have one wish, one nearly godlike wish, but you had to track down and document mythical and dangerous creatures for some 'Tome', would you do it? I did and now I'm paying the price.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,084

Hot Topic (Rewritten)

Author's Note:

Disclaimer, I do not own My little Pony however some characters are property of friends who agree to having them used. Please support the official release, or something I don't know.


*Fanfare plays in the background*
Hello everypony~ I said the story would be back and I don't lie... I just put things off longer than I planned. Anyway here's the rewritten first chapter of Monstrum Tome of Equus, aka Super Dashy Monster Slashy, I hope this time it's better written with a lot less errors.
"That's a terrible name for a story, keep the Latin, you fool."
Yeah... so here it is, not sure if I should keep the old comments or not but I'm leaning towards keeping them, they make me giggle.
First part of Camps Convos has been released you can find it here

'Ah the smell of old books, I swear it's the elixir of Life.'

"Wow, I think I have enough books now," 'Which reminds me, stop talking to yourself'

Yep, that's me Shinza Monk; normal everyday bookworm/recluse. My mom is Asian and my father is American, though I'm Asian-American, I look just like any other American kid. Only one who'd prefer to lock himself in the library than party, you've probably seen people like me at school, or the library always walking around with a book in our hand, walking into things. I mean come on, I've never even talked to a girl, much less make a deal with one, but I'm getting ahead of myself let’s get back to the story.

'Hmm, Book of Myths and Monsters, there seems to be a couple of pages folded. Let’s see;

A changeling is a creature found in European folklore and folk religion. It is typically described as being the offspring of a fairy, troll, elf or other legendary creature that has been secretly left in the place of a human child. Sometimes the term is also used to refer to the child who was taken. The apparent changeling could also be a stock or fetch, an enchanted piece of wood that would soon appear to grow sick and die. The theme of the swapped child is common among medieval literature and reflects concern over infants thought to be afflicted with unexplained diseases, disorders, or developmental disabilities. A human child might be taken due to many factors: to act as a servant, the love of a human child, or malice.

[1] Most often it was thought that fairies exchanged the children. Some Norwegian tales tell that the change was made to prevent inbreeding: to give trolls and humans new blood, humans were given children with enormous strength as a reward. In some rare cases, the very elderly of the Fairy people would be exchanged in the place of a human baby, and then the old fairy could live in comfort, being coddled by its human parents.

[2] Simple charms, such as an inverted coat or open iron scissors left where the child sleeps, were thought to ward them off; other measures included a constant watch over the child. Whoa, that's pretty weird creature, let’s see there's a page in the A section. A winged unicorn is a fictional equine with the wings of a pegasus and the horn of a unicorn. There is no specific name given to such creature, but it is sometimes referred to using a portmanteau of pegasus and unicorn. In some literature and media, it is also erroneously referred as an "alicorn", which is a historical word for a horn of unicorn.' I turn around as I hear a light cough behind me.

"Uh Hi I couldn't help but notice but uh, you seem to have most of the books on mythology, is it alright if I use some of them?"

'Is... is she talking to me?' I look around making sure no one else was at my table that she could be talking to.

"Uh… sure? If you could bring them back, that'd be great. I'm kinda in the middle of research for a paper,"

"Oh, that's alright, I'll just sit here and read them."

'Wait what?'

"Wait what? I mean, sure not like I could stop you."

'What the hell is happening, Girls never ask for mythology books! I mean, I don't mind, look at her shes hot. How'd she get that flaming red hair dye past the Board of Education, and I thought we had to wear uniforms she's wearing red and black shirt and pants with faded holes in them. God I remember those things, I mean who would want to ruin a perfectly good pair of jeans like that, but I digress she makes it work.'

"So you interested in changelings huh," she asked as she grabs some books out of the huge pile on the table and sat across from me.

"Not really I just picked up this book and a bunch pages were folded over on the pages with Changelings and Alicorns"

She looked at me quizzically, "You mean those princesses from that show My Little Pony?"

"Uh... what's My Little Pony? I'm talking about this right here," I point to the page with the two alicorns circling each other, "I've never heard of that show"

"Oh really, then why does your reference guide use the same picture from the show huh?

'It does? It does kinda look cartoony, why is this picture in a book this old, maybe I'll point it out to the Librarian when I leave.'

"I dunno, maybe it's just a joke someone glued in here, I hope not cause this book looks freakin' old."

"Oh sorry where are my manners, name's Tanya," she said while offering her hand.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Shinza, but you can call me Shin if you want," I replied taking her hand and shaking it.

"Is it alright if I take a look at this book?

"Yeah sure i guess, just be careful with it."

I handed her the book and she flipped through the book before resting on the Changeling pages, as she read through it she appear to get upset and a little angry, when she was done reading the book. She handed the book back to me with a look of disgust on her face.

'Great looks like she’s finally through dealing with me and is probably going to leave any moment. This was probably some dare or bet she's just doing this to get a few cheap laughs'

"Now why would I do such a thing to a nice person like you? You've been nothing but helpful and nice to me, and we've only just met."

"What are you talking about? I didn't say anything."

"Oh~ never mind about that, my 'look of disgust' was on the section of that book about changelings. You know they're nothing like what the book says they are right? This thing isn't deserving to be called a Tome of Monsters, I bet if you had the chance, you could give more information than this droll old thing, what do you say?"

"Sure, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat if it means seeing these creatures that are myths."

'Oh god someone help me this girl crazy'

"I'M NOT- I'm not crazy. I just wish to make a deal with you."

"So, what kind of deal are we talking about here? Nothing Illegal I hope."

"No no nothing like that. I just want to see if you can make a better Monster Tome than that piece of garbage, you can choose whatever you want, almost nothing is out of line, so what do you say?"

"Hmm, all I have to do is make a tome of mythical creatures and I’ll get my choice of reward? Okay you have a deal."

As we shook on it, her hand caught on fire, as I tried to pull away the fire burned up her arms and engulfed her in a massive blaze. When it subsided Tanya wasn't there anymore instead I was looking at a cat girl... who's made out of fire?

"What are you doing, you're going to burn down the library, “I started screaming and starting to get strange looks from other students,” Why isn't anyone else freaking out, you're on fire!"

"Please calm down. you're causing a scene. I'm not on fire, I'm a Lavaline, we are felines completely made out of molten magma. As for why people aren't 'freaking out' is because to them we're just a bookworm and a 'hot' chick holding hands, and on that note we're done here."

When she let go, my hand caught fire and I watched as it traveled up my arm until I was completely covered. Slowly burning to death, but it didn't feel hot, just warm and then everything was gone. Poof, nadda, ziltch, just a black void and then I faded out. As I did I heard Tanya chuckle, and I could have sworn I heard her say, "I would like to stay but I got my little Mya to attend to. Enjoy my little gift Shinza, try not to geet in too much trouble." over the sound of people screaming and the crackle of a fire.


*knock knock knock*

'Ugh~ Go away V, it's the weekend! Why are ya knocking on my door? Actually what's with that knock, it sounds kinda heavy, he aways did have some meaty fucking hands,' as I rolled over in my bed I opened my eyes to see that the ceiling was made out of wood, "Well now, this is a new one... Who's room is this, It certainly isn't my dorm room."

I rolled over and sat up in the bed as the knocking got louder until they were banging on the door, "Alright I'm up! Quit bangin' on the door. Jeez what time is it?

"It's just afta' sun rise, now get the buck up or I'll charge you an extra night," a man yelled as I was stretching, after he was done I hear him walk off with clopping sound.

'Wait, clopping sound? Ah he must be wearing sandals. Don't see why he would be wearing sandals? It's freakin' cold in here, wonder what it's like outside.'

After my little popping fest I notice I was wearing some strange clothes, nothing that I would even think of; cargo pants with enough pockets that if possible would have had pockets in its pockets and a emerald vest made of silk with strange stitching’s. So I did the most logical thing and started sifting through the pants pockets; one pocket held a what looked to be a small scroll, one held a compass and pens, another held a folding knife, you know like half's serrated and half's straight kind of knife, and the last pocket had a small bag of what seemed to be small coins. I unrolled the scroll to see that it was a message from Tanya.

'Who the fuck is Tanya,' I thought to myself as I continued to read the note.

Dear Shin,

As per our agreement, you have taken upon yourself to make a Monstrum Tome, if you can complete this deal you will receive one reward of nearly anything you can think of. I have transported you to a different reality in order to complete this deal;

1: You must make a Tome, documenting creatures of this world that you find mythical; they may or may not be the same creatures from you reality. You must do your own research and hunt for them and add them to the tome. Mundane creatures are not to be cataloged.

2: The Tome must be leather-bound and sewn up with spiders silk, you must find a way to meet these conditions. The reason behind this is that most of the inhabitants are uneasy with killing animals and using the skins and other stuff, you could go as far to say they're mega-vegan-pacifists.

3: You have a limited about of money to start out with. When that money runs out it’s up to you to get more money or supplies on you own, do as you see fit to survive.

4. You may not tell/write/or pantomime that you’re not from this reality, if asked you are from a foreign land and you must make something up if asked about your race.

You might begin to notice some changes to your body since you’re now in a world of magic; you humans react so weirdly to this reality so it makes it difficult to tell what power you will get, hopefully you won’t need to use it.

Yours Truly,

Tanya

"Oh yeah, hot library girl. Wait one damn minute, what agreement? I don't remember making any agreement like this," I thought out loud as I thought back to what happened yesterday.

'Okay, I was in the library studying for a paper, some girl comes up to me asking to borrow my research material, and started talking to me about mythical creatures.'

"Oh~ never mind about that, my 'look of disgust' was on the section of that book about changelings. You know they're nothing like what the book says they are right? This thing doesn’t deserve to be called a Tome of Monsters, I bet if you had the chance, you could give more information than this droll old thing, what do you say?"

"Sure, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat if it means seeing these wonderful creatures."

"Huh so I guess did make that deal. So... all that happened... she... set... me on FIRE that bitch," I shouted as I rolled up the scroll and saw a message on the back of it in large letters that said, 'I'm not a bitch!'

"Okay that's pretty freaky. Paper bags in a backpack, what backpack?"

As I stood up and looked around the room I noticed one of those large backpack with canteens and a sleeping bag tied to it that’s like half my height. I walk over to the door and stick my head out the door and I can hear snores coming from the other rooms down the hall. As I walk out I grab the pack and head downstairs, it sorta looks like one of those old timey taverns in medieval Europe. Like those made of wood with trophies hanging on the wall, a bar up against one of the walls, massive fireplace on another one, and with long tables situated around the room. I spotted the entrance and started my way through the tables towards it when I heard the same guy from before call out from the back room telling me to be careful and to have a nice day.

"Yea I'll be sure to do that. Hey can you tell me where I am? My memories are kinda fuzzy."

"Not surprised, seems like you were pretty sloshed, can't say I disagree with your choice of ladies, she had quite the plot," the barkeeper said as I heard something heavy hit the floor in the back room.

"Wait ladies? What are you talking about?"

"Yea, when you checked in last night you were out of it and that mare with red hair had to practically drag your flank to your room, she even paid in advance for you as well. Seems like you make girls take care of everything eh," the sound of tinkling of bottles could be heard as he answered.

"Huh, I don't remember anything like that. I don't even remember how I got here but now I do. So where is here anyways?"

"You're about two miles north from Baltimare, all ya got to do is head down the south, big harbor town can't miss it, but watch out for the towns guards 'cause if you act weird around them they'll haul your flank in and drop it in a jail cell."

"Alright then, wait Baltimare, don't you mean Baltimore?"

"Nope, Baltimare, what you not from overseas or something?"

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. I heard that there are some pretty weird creatures over here, so I decided to take a trip and see for myself," I chuckled while scratching my chin. Guess I better get out of your hair, thanks for the room.”

As I said my thanks and proceeded to leave the tavern I noticed a pony with strange coloration of its coat, mane, and tail with a strange brand on its flank; it seems to be a grape vine and a strawberry. 'Hey that's pretty cool. I wonder how they got the colors on it, why is her fur purple an pink in some places? Better hope PETA doesn't find out, they would flip their shit.' I continued walking out of the tavern past the what appeared to be passed out drunk pony and pulled out my compass and headed down the south on my way to Baltimare.


A short hop, skip, and a jump down the road.


Okay, I know why Tanya mentioned paper bags now. I am totally freaking out, I've been walking down this road forever, and I've seen nobody on this road. Only ponies pulling buggies and carts passed me, the look in their eyes when they saw me looked terrified as they sped up their trotting pace, I mean what did the people of this reality do to cause these ponies to pull carts and buggies between towns without a driver or that look in their eyes, must mean they do something awful to them in order to achieve this and I swear on my walk I could have sworn I saw a light grey Pegasus flying overhead, it even seemed to be carrying something. As I came around the corner I saw a fork in the road up ahead with a sign in between then telling me one road leads to Baltimare and another leads to someplace called the Hay Seed Swamp. So I followed the road left and continued my journey to Baltimare. After some time I sat under a tree and took a break and started to look at the beauty of the surrounding area as more ponies trotted past me. After a while I sifted through my pants again for the medium pouch of coins I had found earlier, inside the pouch to find a lot of gold coins around the size of a nickel.

"Man~ this is a lot of gold…”

“What’s a lot of gold mister?!”

I jumped up looking around, I handed heard anyone walking up to me, “Whooza- What- Where are you hiding?!”

"Down here mister," the little girls voice says as I look towards her, revealing that she's a pony with a light golden coat, a light orange hair, and purple eyes.

I shake my head trying to make sense of this, 'ponies can talk? I mean, they're sentient, this little pony is actually talking to me.'

She looks at me with concern, "Are you alright mister? Is something the matter with you?"

"What? Oh, no I'm fine. I'm just… losing my mind."

"Do you need help finding it? Momma always says to look in the last place you had it," she said with a smile so sweet it’d rot my teeth.

“That’s going to be kinda hard… I-it’s uh… that was overseas."

"What?! You’re from overseas?! That’s so cool~! Are there more creatures like you there?"

"Uh yeah? There's quite a few of them I guess?" I answered her as she seemed to get excited.

“I can’t wait til I’m older I’m going to be an explorer just like Daring Do!" she quickly said as she was cut off from a panic sounding ladies voice.

"Noi! I told you to stay with the cart, what if something had happened to you," a pony who must have been her mother yelled to her while making her way to her, at which point she saw me and visibly recoiled at the sight of me.

'I'm not that ugly am I? I mean yea I'm a bookworm but come on how's she supposed to know that bookworms are generally unattractive?'

"But mom, I was just walking ahead and look I met this nice mister. He was mumbling to himself about his coins, so I asked him what was wrong and he’s from overseas. I was just-"

"Come on Noi, there's no telling what this creature could have done to you if I hadn't show up when I did. Come along, we're leaving right now," the mother said as she grab her daughters hoof and started to drag her away.

At this point I had grown tired of this overprotective mother, so I stood up startling both ponies in the process. I walked over to Noi and patted her on the head and said my thanks for talking with me, and started off again, leaving the child and her mother staring at the bit I had slipped onto Noi’s mane that fell out when she waved at me.

'Well then, seems this reality is not human tolerant if the look the mother gave me. Guess that explains why the tavern keeper used Baltimare instead of Baltimore... and the clopping sounds as he left... still don't know why the guy said buck instead of the obvious word, oh it's a joke buck because they're horses, oh I get it now. This definitely makes things harder on me better do as the tavern keeper said and not act suspicious, can't afford being tossed in jail but knowing my kind of luck something will happen and that’s exactly where I’ll end up.' While I was in deep thought on what I needed to do for the next day or so, it seems I had arrived at Baltimare as the sun was starting to set over the horizon, 'You know this city isn't so bad. Wait, why does it smell of fish I though ponies were vegetarian and didn't eat meat but other than the smell this place seems like a right friendly place-'

"There it is, Ice Flow, fly around it an’ distract it. Earth Ponies surround it and box it in," a deep voice could be heard yelling from behind the cities walls.

'Nope, never mind I fucking hate this place already,' I thought as what appeared to be armored ponies with and without wings as well as with a horn, probably the guards that tavern keeper mentioned, as they came closer, “I’m totally harmless! Look I surrender!” Several of the ‘earth ponies tackled me and I put up no resistance only to feel myself get zapped by something and hearing one of the ponies saying that was too easy as I faded into unconsciousness.

---

When I was jumped outside the gates of Baltimare, whatever they zapped me with didn't really put me to sleep. It was more like they disconnected my brain from my body from the neck down, although it seemed that my body was functioning; my heart was pounding away while my brain was freaking out about being captured by miniature horses. ‘I mean seriously, who just gets captured like that without a fight?’

'Apparently I do,' I thought answering my own inner monologue as they whoever was carrying me dropped me on the ground roughly, left the cell, and closed the door with a clang.

“It doesn’t really look like the reports said Cap’n.”

"Whether it looks like the report or not zap it once more and get it moving again. We're gonna find out why this thing is here," a voice said as a humming sound started up, I felt a similar zap as before and it felt as if my body was plugged back in and I could start to move again.

"Sir, the spell is done, what should we do now," a woman's voice asked.

"Thank you Myst Veil, you can go tell the volunteer guards that they can return home now. Also I'm going to need somepony in here to keep a watch on this thing," the gruff voice from before said as the woman left.

'I’m going to be interrogated? Okay, now would be a good time to learn how to be one suave motherfucker.' I tried reaching for one of my pockets and felt the chains around my wrists, ‘great… they’re smart enough to chain prisoners.’

"So where am I anyways?" I asked the nearest thing to a marine looking pony I could have ever seen, "You know it’s not nice to jump someone like that right? Why would you do something like that? I’m completely harmless."

"Not from what the report we receive said, you’re being held here until further notice, on the charges that you intend to cause harm to the citizens of Baltimare and possibly all of Equestria."

"Intend to cause harm?! All I did was walk up to the city gates and get jumped by a bunch ponies. I didn't even resist even when you fucking zapped me! *sigh* Can you at least give me my backpack, there are some things I need from it."

"Maybe."

"Either you can, can't, or won't those of which I'm guessing that won't is your answer."

"Well I wouldn't go that far, I can tell you at the end of the interrogation, if you can answer our questions, how’s that sound to you?"

I sat up against the wall looking at this Unicorn with a scar on his face, with it dawning on me that I had really stepped into it this time. I mean Unicorns are supposed to symbolize purity, this one looks like he'd run me through with his horn without a second thought.

'Seriously though what's with the color of these ponies fur and hair though? It's like someone swallowed a bunch of Technicolor paint and another person point and clicked them at every pony they could and couldn't see, I mean that Noi kid was at least colored like a horse but I mean really; pink horses, green Unicorns, and that one gray Pegasus I thought I saw flying overhead with a package?'

I took another deep breath to calm down before answering, "I guess that's alright but on the condition I get to ask you a question in return for you asking one."

"We'll see, just sit tight. We'll get this over with real quick like," the Unicorn guard said as Myst Veils voice could be heard from the door.

"Sir, the volunteers have been sent home and the three guards are ready, which include myself, Ice Flow, and Mag Vah, we couldn't find an earth pony who wasn't a volunteer but Mag Vah is a Zebra Cadet on loan from another town. Is there anything else you need us to do while we're guarding the prisoner," Myst Veil asked while she saluted the Unicorn.

"No, that is all that needs to be done for now. Prisoner you wouldn't happened to be hungry would you?"

"My name's Shin and a little, why? You going to give me something to eat that won't kill me," I asked as I rolled my shoulders and neck trying to pop them, "Well I know that your people eat grass, hay and flowers, but my people can't digest those."

"Well you're partly right, ponies eat a variety of different vegetation; like grass, hay, flowers, lettuce and some types of fruits. Any of those suit your fancy?"

"Wait what about meat?"

"Your people are carnivores?"

"Well we're really omnomnomnomivores," I said with a small chuckle as the guard looked at me weirdly, "Yeah figured you wouldn't get it. My people eat a mix of plant and animals, we pretty much eat anything we can find, though due to trying to stay on the ponies good side, we refrain from getting equine meat, heck some places it's illegal. When I was walking to town, you remember that don't 'cha, there was a fishy smell in the air, if you are herbivorous why are you catching fish?"

“Yeah, we do seem to get that question a lot. We should probably put the answer in a brochure or something but to answer your question, we have a trade route with the Holy Griffin Empire to the north of Equestria.”

“It fits, horsey name for a horsey country. If I asked for fish would it be cooked or is that too far out of line? If it is, then I’ll take some bread, lettuce, something to drink, and what kind of fruits do you have? ”

“No, it wouldn't be cooked, the only meat chefs in Baltimare are the griffins that cater to other Griffins and Diamond Dogs. We have apples and peaches from varying regions of Equestria though; I'll have somepony bring you some bread and water later before the interrogation this afternoon."

'Bread and water huh? Guess it's back to being the prisoner again, so much for trying to be suave.' I sighed as he walked away, said something to Myst Veil, handed her the keys and walked out, 'Man. if this is what it's be like here, I'm starting to think I got the short end of the stick. Back home I was nearly done with college then she walks in and makes me a deal and blows all of that up. I wonder if anyone has even wondered if I'm okay, probably not with the way I block everyone out to focus on my studies. At least I can say one thing, she sure knows how to pick 'em, just find some loser in a library and offer him a near godly wish, eight out of ten times, the poor sucker will say yes. Now I'm stuck in a jail cell being guarded by a blue Unicorn named Myst Veils. god what did I do to deserve this?' After my little internal tirade at my really bad luck, I tried standing up to find my arms and legs chained together with an unusually short chain.

"Hey, uh Myst? You wouldn't happen to be able to remove these cuffs from me would you, it's kinda hard to move around. I promise I won’t try to escape."

"Prisoners are to address me as Guard, Ma'am, or Myst Veil not Myst, toots, honey, or any such variation you can think of," she said in monotonous tone as she listed off what to call her, "and your limbs will be released when more than one pony is present to deter you from trying to do anything."

"Right sorry, Myst Veils, nice to meet you, my name is Shin, not prisoner. Are you sure there isn't a way you could at least release my arms or does the big honcho guard not trust you enough to handle an innocent traveler, such as myself?"

"..."

"He probably just made you part of guarding me so you wouldn't be on the streets with him and getting him hurt. I bet he doesn't even treat you like the other guards because he knows you’re not cut out for it."

I could hear Myst Veils teeth starting to grind as I was talking, 'Maybe just a little bit more and it'll goad her into releasing my hands.'

"I bet he didn't even give you the real keys to the cells and this is just something to keep you busy," I said as venomously as possible as I was talking she stood up and started walking to the gate.

"See that wasn't so hard now was it, all you had to do was to get up and unlock the door, I guess he did give you the real keys after all but that still doesn't disprove anything I've said. Now come unlock these cuffs and prove him wrong."

She opened the gate while I was talking and reached behind her for the keys, continues to reach back and punches me in the face, making me lose consciousness as she got close to my face and quietly said, "My father trusts me with his life every time we go out on duty. What would a creature that we have never seen before know about the trust of a family, when it probably doesn't have one and if I hear you utter a single word about me or my family. A hoof to the face will be the least of your worries," and I was out. “Sweet Celestia what is this thing’s face made of, I think I chipped my hoof.”