• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 2,299 Views, 141 Comments

Out of the Darkness - SergeantShenanigans



On a dark midnight in the middle of the Everfree forest Zecora stumbles upon an injured pony. Join this pony as he tries to regain his memor

  • ...
5
 141
 2,299

Ch 31: Getting Sidetracked

Star stared at the other pony with a look of pure confusion "Wait, brother?" he asked in surprise.

The pony in front of him simply gave him a knowing grin "That is correct, I bet you didn't know that you had a brother, did you?"

Star furrowed his eyebrows for a moment in thought "Nope, in fact, as far as I can remember I was an only child, were you born after I was imprisoned?" he questioned.

The pony in front of him chuckled darkly "Technically speaking, yes, you are an only child, but I am just as much your brother as Celestia is our mother and Starswirl was our father."

"But how? Celestia and Starswirl I know for a fact only had one child, and that was me, how can you also be their kid?" Star asked with a growing confusion in his voice and on his face.

"That is, my dear brother, because I have no physical body to speak of, I was born as more of a sentient conscience within your own." The mirror Star answered.

"Then how does that make you my brother, you were born within my mind, wouldn't that make me your father or creator or something?" Star asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Not exactly, I wasn't born from your consciousness, you see, I was born from a combination of mother's and father's, so that makes us brothers." the other pony explained.

"That is pretty interesting, so, why did my mind bring me here? I was trying to come up with how my wings regrew, then I ended up here, do you have any idea how that happened or how my scars healed?" Star asked.

The other Star looked at him curiously "You really don't remember that of all things? I thought that you would have remembered that as one of the first things." He said in mild surprise.

"How did it happen?" The real Star asked.

"Well, think of it as being a farewell gift from father, he healed your physical wounds as a last blessing, but it couldn't take full effect yet, because the magic he used affected your mind, but it couldn't actually take effect until the spell was registered within your subconscious, and I guess since you regained the majority of your memories, that the spell he used to heal you took effect." The other pony explained

"So, even after he was gone he was still looking after me." Star concluded with a slightly disheartened tone. He stayed silent for a few more moments before looking back at the other Star "That still doesn't answer one question, why did my mind bring me to you, instead of just showing me the memory of it?" he asked

The other Star simply shrugged "Beats me, but it is nice to finally meet you in the flesh." he said happily

"So, what do I call you?" Star asked.

"You can just call me Solar Spin, or just Solar for short." Solar replied with a smile.

"Nice to meet you Solar, it's nice to know that I have a brother." Star said cheerfully.

"The feeling is mutual." Solar replied giving Star another beaming smile.

"So, any idea how long I'm gonna be here?" Star asked.

"Oh, you should be regaining consciousness in about three….two….one." Solar counted.

Just as he reached 1 Star saw a sudden bright flash of white as he was thrown back into reality. He woke to find himself in his room, he then got out of his bed and decided to go and tell Celestia and Twilight what had happened to him.

As he was walking down one of the many hallways he heard a faint sound coming from nowhere in particular, he stopped and listened to find out where the sound was coming from. The sound started to get faintly louder until he could hear a voice "Testing, testing, can you hear me?" he heard a voice inside his head ask.

"Solar?" Star asked out loud.

"That's me." The voice of Solar replied.

"How are you talking to me?" Star asked seemingly nopony.

"You can just think to speak to me, you don't have to speak out loud" Solar explained.

"Alright, now, how are you talking to me?" Star asked again.

"I could always talk to you, I just didn't want to try and then find out I accidentally sent you into shock or a coma or killed you or something, I had to wait until you got your memories back" Solar answered.

Star bobbed his head from side to side in understanding "I appreciate it." He replied

"Just remember, if you ever need anything, I am just a thought away." Solar offered him before deciding to stay silent.

With that in mind Star once again started to make his way to find his mother and friend, but not knowing where they were, he decided to just start from the front door and search from there.

When he arrived at the door he saw a curious sight, he saw all six of his friends, but it was an odd sight, Rainbow was holding down Twilight and Pinkie was sitting on Rarity, Fluttershy watched from the sidelines timidly and Applejack was pacing back and forth "Geez girls, get a room." Star joked as he approached them.

They turned with surprised looks to see him, Rainbow, Twilight, and Rarity all grew crimson red blushes on their faces and Pinkie immediately jumped and tackled him "You're okay! We were all super duper worried about you!" Before he could respond she got off of him and stared at him expectantly "So, what happened?" she asked.

"Well….." he put his hoof to his chin in thought, while trying to remember what happened a fresh wave of pain shot through his body, it was not severe or sharp, more of a small sting, but it surprised him enough to make him jump straight into the chandelier that was hanging right above him.

He and the chandelier fell with a mighty crash that shook the floor, the chandelier shattered and covered him with the debris "Ouch." He said in a muffled voice.

"Star are you okay?" Fluttershy asked.

"Is it normal to see birds flying around my head?" Star asked.

"Not normally, but there was this one time that I was walking, well I was actually hopping, but that doesn't matter, anyway, I was hopping through Whitetail woods when I suddenly came upon a birds nest! I-" Pinkie started to spin off into a random story but was stopped by Applejack putting her hoof in front of Pinkie's mouth.

"A simple no would've worked Sugarcube." She said with an exaggerated roll of her eyes.

"Okay, the birds are gone, now I am going to attempt to exit the debris." Star said in mock fear.

He slowly made his way out of the debris and thankfully, nothing cut or stabbed him out of all of the broken glass around it. "So girls, what was that all about?" Star asked after dusting himself off.

"I don't know, you just suddenly jumped up into the chandelier." Twilight, who apparently had gotten Rainbow off of her, replied with a shrug.

"Not that, why was Rainbow holding you down and why was Pinkie sitting on Rarity?" Star asked shaking his head.

A blush suddenly grew on Twilight's face "Oh, no reason." She attempted to say nonchalantly but failed and ended up sounding nervous.

Star simply raised an eyebrow and shook his head "Alright then, so, why are you all here?" he asked looking at each of his friends.

"Twilight said that you were better now and we decided to come and visit you. What, did you think we would forget all about you?" Pinkie said cheerfully.

"Oh, I knew that Rainbow would be here, and another one of you would be, I just didn't think that the rest of you would be able to come down so soon."

He received a few confused looks prompting him to explain, he turned to Rainbow with a confused look "You didn't forget about the Wonderbolts show, did you?" he asked

Rainbow's eyes suddenly grew wide in realization "Oh crud! I forgot that the show was today! Quick, what time is it?" she asked quickly

Star looked over at a nearby grandfather clock placed against a nearby wall, "It's twelve thirty five." Star answered.

Rainbow let out a relieved sigh "That was scary, the show isn't until two, I was worried that I missed the show."

"I thought that you would have been counting down the days on a calendar, is something wrong? Did something happen?" Star asked with a slightly worried tone.

Rainbow shook her head "I just haven't been paying attention to very much; they've all been pretty worried about you so I have had to try and keep their minds off of it."

"It is nice to know that somepony was able to keep their head clear and not worry too much about me, thanks." Star said gratefully

"Yeah, I wasn't worried a bit." Rainbow replied quietly and hesitantly before shaking her head "I mean yeah! Of course I wasn't worried! There was nothing to be worried about in the first place!"

"Exactly, now, seriously, how did you all manage to take more days off of your responsibilities? Pinkie, I bet that the Cakes would need your help, Applejack I bet that the farm is lagging behind without you there, Twilight I bet you are behind in some assignment or another, but I doubt it, Rarity, I bet you have at least one order you have to finish, Rainbow, I was expecting you to be here anyway, and Fluttershy, who is taking care of your animals?" Star said in one continuous breath.

Pinkie simply shrugged "The cakes closed down Sugarcube Corner for today and gave me the day off, I don't know why."

"I do not, in fact, have an order to finish at the moment." Rarity explained

"Pokey Pierce was nice enough to watch over my animals for today." Fluttershy said with a smile

"Who?" Star asked with his eyebrow raised.

"The nice colt who sold you Brownie." Fluttershy explained.

"You named the cat Brownie? I like it honestly." Star said with a shrug before turning to Applejack.

"Big Macintosh can take care of the farm just fine without me fer a day, though he isn't the one doin the chores, the crusaders get to do that." She replied.

"Why?" Star asked with a curious tone.

"Remember when they were workin with those fireworks and caused an avalanche, and made those boulders fly off in random directions?" She asked rhetorically "Well, one of 'em smashed right through the barn! Tha other two hit town hall and Tom!" she exclaimed.

"Tom?" Star asked curiously.

"Never speak of it!" Rarity exclaimed.

"Okay, what about you Rainbow?" He asked turning to Rainbow.

Rainbow shrugged just as Pinkie had "The weather schedule has been pretty self-maintaining lately, just leave the skies clear, which isn't hard."

"I've been here with the princess the whole time, she hasn't told me anything to work on." Twilight replied simply.

"Oh, alright" Star replied not knowing what else to say.

There was a few moments of silence before somepony spoke up "What happened to you anyway?" Pinkie asked breaking the silence.

"Twilight will you explain it? Whenever I think about what happened a jolt of pain shoots through me for some reason." Star asked

"Sure, well basically, his body caught up with his mind, just as you, Fluttershy, and Celestia guessed, he has been reliving his imprisonment for the past two weeks, and apparently, his wings regrew and his scars healed themselves." Twilight explained calmly.

"H-his wings what?" Fluttershy asked in disbelief.

"Apparently they regrew" Star confirmed with a shrug.

The rest of the ponies in the room were left speechless "But how- that doesn't- then when- but- just- what? I know ponies that have lost their wings and they haven't been able to regrow them, what makes you so special?" Rainbow asked.

Star shrugged "Starswirl was a pretty smart unicorn, I don't know how either."

"Wait, what about Starswirl?" Twilight asked quickly.

"Oh, yeah, I haven't told any of you what happened when I passed out earlier." He said in realization before explaining the situation to them.

"So… you have a brother?" Rarity asked slowly.

"Yep, and he looks exactly like I do." Star confirmed.

"I think that you are making that up." Rainbow accused.

"I don't expect you to believe me, I am trying to get you to believe in somepony that you can't hear, see or touch." Star admitted.

"That isn't true, I could project my voice into their minds if I felt the need." Solar contradicted.

"Well then, why don't you introduce yourself Solar?" Star asked him, not realizing that he had said that out loud.

"You don't know how crazy you sound, do you?" Rainbow said shaking her head.

"He isn't crazy." Solar said projecting his voice into each of their minds.

All of their eyes widened in surprise "He's real." Twilight said in disbelief.

"Nice to meet you all, and it isn't that unbelievable, separate sentient consciousness's can be developed into more than one mind at a time, usually ponies are considered crazy though, mainly because those separate consciousness's can't communicate with anypony besides the consciousness that they are attached to essentially, I, however, can communicate with more than just my hosts mind." Solar explained.

"Why is it that only you can do this?" Twilight asked.

"Well, seeing as I am a combination of Starsiwirl and Celestia's subconscious thoughts that have taken place and flourished within Stars, two out of three of these being alicorns, and the last being one of the most successful sorcerers in Equestrian history, the explanations are limitless but the answers are nearly unobtainable." He answered honestly.

They all heard an audible groan, Star turned to see that it had come from Rainbow "What's wrong?" he asked.

"My brain hurts." She answered.

"From what?" Star asked.

"From their conversation, it is sooooooooooooo nerdy!" she complained.

"Not that Ah'm agreein with Rainbow, but ah didn't understand a word ya just said." Applejack pointed out

"It was kind of hard to follow." Fluttershy agreed.

"Are you girls crazy? It was a simple explanation, he was just explaining that the representation of what most ponies consider "voices in their heads" are usually a separate consciousness that has developed within their own and achieved a sentient level of thought, though most of these can't communicate with anypony but the host that they share minds with, and that he can communicate with us is highly unusual but not impossible because he is a combination of three different minds, two of who are alicorns and the other is a very powerful sorcerer, so most likely with their combined magic being intertwined to create this single consciousness it is most likely strong enough to establish contact with other minds besides his hosts." Twilight explained with a smile.

He received blank looks from the other ponies "Could you repeat that in Equestrian please?" Applejack asked.

"He was created by Starswirl and Celestia's magic leaving behind a mark inside Star's mind, it then started to develop and began to be able to process thought, after a while he started to be able to think of what was outside of his small, bubble, if you will, and he developed and learned through Star's memories. While he was born from the same parents, he is, to put it simply, Star's brother, and he can only communicate with us because of how strong Stars, Celestias, and Starswirls magic is." Twilight replied simply and with a sigh.

"Oh, that makes sense." Pinkie said nodding her head.

"So Solar, what is it like being a disembodied consciousness?" Twilight asked.

"It is normal for me, I do not know how it is being a consciousness with a body so I cannot compare it to anything else, but the best thing I can explain it as would be, think of not being able to move around on your own, but being able to access all of your memories while rarely forgetting anything, and being in a constant state of deep thought." He attempted to explain.

"So, how much of each ponies memories do you have? I know that you are a mixture of both Celestia's and Starswirl's magic, but how much of each of their memories do you have access to?" Twilight questioned.

"I honestly only have a few bits and pieces of memories from Celestia and Starswirl, most of my memories are Star's" Solar answered

"It is good to see you up and about again." Celestia greeted cheerfully as she approached the group of ponies.

"It's nice to be up and about again." Star responded with a beaming smile.

"So what happened this time? Why did you pass out?" Celestia asked.

"Oh right, mom, meet your other son, Solar." Star said gesturing at everywhere in general.

She gave him a questioning look and was about to say something but was interrupted by Solar "Nice to meet you, mother" he greeted

"What?" Celestia asked in shock "I don't have another son."

Star and Solar then proceeded to explain to her how he came into existence "So Starswirl's magic with my own created you?" Celestia asked.

"That is correct." Solar confirmed.

"So I have two sons now?" She said with a smile.

"Yep." Star responded.

Celestia suddenly broke out laughing "What's wrong?" asked a confused looking Twilight.

After a few more moments of laughing Celestia finally stopped long enough to explain "I have had two sons before Luna has even had a date! This amuses me greatly!" she exclaimed.

Star put a hoof to his chin for a moment "That only leaves one thing left to say." He said vaguely.

"And what's that?" Pinkie asked.

"It's one forty-five right now." He said simply before looking over at Rainbow.

She looked confused for a moment before her eyes widened in surprise "The show starts in fifteen minutes! We might not make it in time, come on Applejack you're coming with me!" she exclaimed flying out the door carrying the surprised looking orange earth pony.